Premier League or Champions League?

thelemon

If you were given the choice to win one next season which would you pick?

EDIT - Can someone insert a poll?

Last edited:

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
My answer is always the Premier League, because that is home for Manchester United. Though if we found ourselves in the CL final but eliminated from PL title contention, I would change my answer.

Member 5225

CL - just seems harder to do, and we need to win more as a club

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
Premier League, we need to regain that domestic dominance first!

Although 4 CL titles wouldn't be too bad either I guess.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Usually I would say PL but next year I would prefer the CL. Has anyone ever won it without participating the season before?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
CL! We are already record champions in England and noone is going to overtake us in a long long while. The closest are Liverpool and they only manage to get one strong title challenge per decade, so after 2009 and 2014 I can see the next one coming in 2020!

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
CL! We are already record champions in England and noone is going to overtake us in a long long while. The closest are Liverpool and they only manage to get one strong title challenge per decade, so after 2009 and 2014 I can see the next one coming in 2020!
I don't think your memory is very good.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Champions League.

I've always found the Premier League to be a harder competition to win but winning the Champions League more satisfying, if that makes any sense.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I'm not sure winning the Champions League counts if you don't win your domestic league at the same time. I think you just get a wooden horse, or something.

Premier League to reassert our dominance in England.

Kant-ona

Champions League! Cause this would mean that we become fourth this season. ;)

Seriously I don't know. But if the question would be "You have to choose between CL and PL one tournament in which United will do very poorly" I would always go for the Champions League. Drop out in the group stage? Not nice and frustrating. Playing a poor premier league season? A real disaster.

thelemon

Champions League! Cause this would mean that we become fourth this season. ;)

Seriously I don't know. But if the question would be "You have to choose between CL and PL one tournament in which United will do very poorly" I would always go for the Champions League. Drop out in the group stage? Not nice and frustrating. Playing a poor premier league season? A real disaster.
Very good point.

Hmm.

It's decreasing by two each time. Our next challenge will be in 2017, then 2018 and then we'll win it.
:lol:

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
But has anyone ever won it without participating in Europe the season before? ;)
Liverpool 2005? I thought that is what Barny was referring too.

Edit, and Porto 2003, Milan 2002, etc

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
:lol: How could I miss 2002 @Barney and @ the maths in this thread

That season btw was horrible from United's point of view, but still miles better than our last and even current season. This actually frustrates me!

Kag

I'd usually rather see a Premier League win; the accumulation of a full season of hard work. However, after a year out of the competition I think the Champions League would be so much fun to win from a fan point of view. The club would also have very loudly asserted itself back at the top of the pyramid.

Jev

Champions League. Biggest tournament in the world, nothing beats those nights. The biggest United moments are in the Champions League.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
League. Winning the Champions League always seem a bit tarnished to me if you haven't won your league the same season. Best in Europe but not best in your own country.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Champions League.

I've always found the Premier League to be a harder competition to win but winning the Champions League more satisfying, if that makes any sense.
I dont understand how any one can possibly think that? CL is the hardest competition in the world to win without a doubt. CL is the pinnacle of Club football and if u win that u know u are the best apart form maybe Chelsea in 2012 who lucked their way to a win.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
I dont understand how any one can possibly think that? CL is the hardest competition in the world to win without a doubt. CL is the pinnacle of Club football and if u win that u know u are the best apart form maybe Chelsea in 2012 who lucked their way to a win.
Not really. I mean you have to be good but you can certainly fluke your way to the CL. Chelsea and Liverpool have shown that, in recent years. Heck, we even nearly did it last year. It is a cup after all. Luck plays a big part in winning it and individual mistakes or errors or refereeing blunders are amplified tenfold.

And rarely does the best team in the CL win it whereas most of the time, the best team over 38 games wins the Premier League.

SirAF

Ageist
We should obviously have won more CL titles, but I'd chose the Premier League every time.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Champions League.

Winning the domestic league title is a great achievement to be fair, often necessitating consistent excellence for a time-frame of 8-9 months. But in terms of elite quality - the Champions League usually provides a sterner test, you have the chance to match up against the greatest teams of Europe, and it's the pre-eminent club football competition in the world. Another reason why I'd prefer the Champions League/ European Cup is United's historically underachieving status is Europe. 3 total titles is not nearly good enough for a club of our stature. 4 would have a nicer ring to it and bring us one step closer to the likes of Milano, Bayern and unfortunately the Scousers. Also, then Louis can ring in with patented chant - Champions of Munich, Champions of Barcelona, Champions of Turin.. :D

SirAF

Ageist
That is, of course, true. However, you don't need to be the best team to win it. Think of the final between Monaco and Porto in 2004, Liverpool winning it in 2005, Chelsea in 2012.. There are so many factors and variables that will come into play; the referee, injuries, performance on the night - the best team doesn't always end up in the final.

Edit: Heck, just look at the opponents we had to face in the knock out stages in 2009: Inter, Porto and Arsenal. Inter aside, that's not a particularly difficult cup run. Obviously we were one of the 2 best sides in the world at that time, but it's not definite we would have made it to Rome against stronger teams in the knock out stages.

Also the road to Wembley in 2011: Marseille, Chelsea and Schalke. Chelsea aside, not a very difficult run again. And I seem to remember that Chelsea were not particularly strong that year either.

In a league competition over a longer period of time, like the Premier League the strongest team will always end up winning it.

Last edited: