13. Southampton - £170,550,000
  14. Brighton & Hove Albion - £159,100,000
  15. Crystal Palace - £149,860,000
  16. Sheffield United - £120,700,000
  17. Leeds United - £120,300,000
  18. West Bromwich Albion - £97,700,000
  19. Fulham - £94,350,000
  20. Burnley - £82,600,000

It's quite interesting to see its fairly similar to the actual table.

West ham and Leicester 'over performing' and arsenal clearly underpeforming.

Obviously much more factors involved but an interesting discussion to be had about the weight of importance of each factor when deciding success. Certainly money reflects the table reasonably closely, which is quite a sad way of seeing it.

Last edited:

Crustanoid

Confirms that in a lot of cases money is the most important factor.

Chelsea and City are only where they are because of financial doping

SER19

Confirms that in a lot of cases money is the most important factor.

Chelsea and City are only where they are because of financial doping
Most teams are within 2 spots of their financial value. Its closer than I thought. Makes you admire Leicester title even more, it wasn't a 'cheap' team but their key players were incredible value

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Is the figure based on a perceived value or what they were purchased for??
If a perceived value, then from whom or where?
If what they are brought for then it's misleading, as context is a valuable thing.

Crustanoid

Most teams are within 2 spots of their financial value. Its closer than I thought. Makes you admire Leicester title even more, it wasn't a 'cheap' team but their key players were incredible value
I think Leicester‘a set up, squad building and scouting impresses me more than any other teams in recent years. They have been amazing, especially when they lose big players then dig out another bargain who slots straight in

AgentSmith

Would be good to see the actual table side-by-side with it just to reinforce the comparison.

West Ham definitely the best performing team relative to investment this season. Arsenal by far the worst.

Also shows the brilliant job Bielsa is doing while playing attractive football. Who knows what they could achieve with a proper budget?

SER19

Is the figure based on a perceived value or what they were purchased for??
If a perceived value, then from whom or where?
If what they are brought for then it's misleading, as context is a valuable thing.
Purchased for

SER19

Then ours is miles out with the amount of first teamers we have that have come through the academy.

Rashford, Greenwood, McTominay and Henderson would add like 200m if not more.
But....they came through the academy?

But....they came through the academy?
Squad value is the wrong term then. Should be "Premier League table by total transfer fees spent on current players in squad".

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Then we're more under performing than others who don't have as many academy players no.

Eire Red United

Then ours is miles out with the amount of first teamers we have that have come through the academy.

Rashford, Greenwood, McTominay and Henderson would add like 200m if not more.
Thats the point of the table- we didnt have to buy them. Also Phil Jones value is included.... Plus 120m for Maguire and Mata which is a ridiculous chunk.

Gavinb33

This is probably an accurate representation of how far we are behind city player wise.

We need 3 first team starters to catch up with them as they stand now which is probably around £150/200 million of players.

redrobed

They tend to report our transfer fees higher than they actually are I believe and the likes of City and, in particular, lower than they actually are because of their biases. In reality we’re somewhere between Arsenal and Everton. You can add another 200m to the figure for City. Liverpool just behind them

Champ

Purchased for
In which case it's null and void.

Is Maguire worth £85m? No, he never was, but that's his going rate because he's English and a decent player and United wanted to buy him. If Newcastle wanted to buy him, would the price be £85m?
You could probably pick up someone like Leicester do for £20m, but you'd be chancing it.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City

Is Maguire worth £85m? No, he never was, but that's his going rate because he's English and a decent player and United wanted to buy him. If Newcastle wanted to buy him, would the price be £85m?
You could probably pick up someone like Leicester do for £20m, but you'd be chancing it.
BIB: yes it would have, that was the price as we didn't want to sell, though to be fair if they had made an offer we probably would have laughed

Champ

BIB: yes it would have, that was the price as we didn't want to sell, though to be fair if they had made an offer we probably would have laughed
I was using Newcastle as an example, perhaps poor example, but it still rings true.
But say if Barca or maybe Madrid had been calling, Maguire would have quite happily put the pressure on for a quick and cheaper release...
It's striking that not many of City's buys are from the premier League now, whereas United's are. There's more value elsewhere due to the 'premier league tax',
United automatically have a disadvantage due to the money they have when buying players.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I know his football is boring but what a job Sean Dyche has done at Burney. Spent next to nothing really.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I was using Newcastle as an example, perhaps poor example, but it still rings true.
But say if Barca or maybe Madrid had been calling, Maguire would have quite happily put the pressure on for a quick and cheaper release...
It's striking that not many of City's buys are from the premier League now, whereas United's are. There's more value elsewhere due to the 'premier league tax',
United automatically have a disadvantage due to the money they have when buying players.
maybe we would have held out still but we'll never know, there is also the fact we would be selling to a team that we are competing with which could make a lower price more acceptable.

IIRC Man City's record buy is Mahrez and that took them 2 windows to get done

SER19

How can something factual be null and void? Those are the costs spent to accumulate squads, and it reasonably well reflects the actual table. It's an interesting similarity, that's all I'm saying

Falcow

Arsenal above Liverpool?
It does seem to be inaccurate as liverpool spent the following:

VVD - £75
Kieta- £64
Alison - £56m
Fabino- £51m
Ox -£38
Front 4 - £130m

That's £414m.

The rest of the squad only cost 40m then? There is no way this is accurate.

Dante

Average bang
This is what I think the costs were. Bear in mind that I'm using today's exchange rate to find the £ equivalents, so it will be a bit off:
Player£
Paul Pogba
105​
91.035​
Harry Maguire
87​
75.429​
Anthony Martial
60​
52.02​
Fred
59​
51.153​
Bruno Fernandes
55​
47.685​
Aaron Wan-Bissaka
55​
47.685​
Juan Mata
44.7​
38.7549​
Nemanja Matic
44.7​
38.7549​
Donny van de Beek
39​
33.813​
Eric Bailly
38​
32.946​
Luke Shaw
37.5​
32.5125​
Victor Lindelof
35​
30.345​
David De Gea (GK)
25​
21.675​
Diallo
21​
18.207​
Jones
19.3​
16.7331​
Daniel James
17.8​
15.4326​
Alex Telles
15​
13.005​
Lee Grant (GK)
1.7​
1.4739​
Edinson Cavani
0​
0​
Tim Fosu-Mensah
0​
0​
Dean Henderson (GK)
0​
0​
Scott McTominay
0​
0​
Marcus Rashford
0​
0​
Axel Tuanzebe
0​
0​
€760£659

Pogba is the biggest cost here. He'll be gone in the summer. Probably also Mata and maybe DDG also. Martial could potentially be on the chopping block, too, if he doesn't buck his ideas.

The figures in the OP are from October so Jones, Romero and Dillao aren't included as they are in mine.

Last edited:

cjj

Supports
Spurs
It'll just be a nonsense hack article to "subconsciously" poke a stick at Pep and his "loadsa money" joke.

The word "value" should have been "cost".

Dante

Average bang

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Didn't realise Villa had spent as much as they have. Smith is doing a great job, but he's got a very expensive squad and that won't include their best player.

ROFLUTION

It's quite interesting how clubs are holding out for gigantic fees from United as we're known for spending and have a huge fanbase, but with City that is rarely the case even though they spend 20-25% more than us overall.

Lentwood

It shouldn’t really come as a surprise to anybody. It also doesn’t obviously tell the whole story.

I would argue historically that I bet there is an incredibly strong correlation between money spent in across two Summers and winning a title shortly after. Being able to spend money over a prolonged period is obviously an advantage but the biggest advantage comes from being able to spend a tonne of cash very quickly.

This was why Chelsea were so powerful under Jose and City have been so good under Pep. Even big spenders like United have to accumulate steadily in a “business-like” manner i.e. balancing the books, living within your means - even if those “means” are substantial!

City and early-Roman Chelsea didn’t have to do that. They can just throw cash around to fix any issues they might have and not have to worry about a balance sheet. To highlight my point, imagine if City had spend exactly the same under Pep but they had had to do it based on splitting the total cost across several seasons and trying to recoup as much of their outgoings as possible. I guarantee that at the very least they would be one trophy worse-off (although that would probably give Liverpool one more so that’s no comfort!)

Put simply, total money spent and net money spent are important but i’d say concentrated spending across 2/3 windows is the biggest advantage a team can have

Lentwood

It's quite interesting how clubs are holding out for gigantic fees from United as we're known for spending and have a huge fanbase, but with City that is rarely the case even though they spend 20-25% more than us overall.
I have heard many rumours about City’s financial doping extending to under-the-table payments and misreporting figures. I have no idea whether there is any truth in it but you are right that it’s odd that City never really get held to ransom like you imagine they might. Perhaps a more sensible theory might be that because they are so rich and have so much disposable income, they can progress talks with several players at the same time and walk away from deals quickly if the cards are stacked against them?

With United, we always seem to make it obvious what we need and who we are talking too. Therefore, those clubs know that we’re likely to pay a premium

Pagh Wraith

But clearly Leeds need to change their style because they are too open at the back or something.

tomaldinho1

He is to be fair. Doubt many seen this coming from West Ham. Can’t think of a manager who has done better tbh
Yh I wasn’t joking. Just look at that game yesterday - they created just as much as City but with such average players.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
If Pep carries on winning every single game, he'll get that award.
Probably so but I’d say what moyes has done is less expected so more impressive.

City winning every game is great for them obviously but they’re making five changes a game and can’t even see a drop off in player quality.

Champ

How can something factual be null and void? Those are the costs spent to accumulate squads, and it reasonably well reflects the actual table. It's an interesting similarity, that's all I'm saying
Generally speaking, the clubs who spend more money are higher in the table than those who don't.
Usually a few outliers but this is hardly breaking news!!
Using transfer costs is ineffective however, as it doesn't factor in wages, free agents, etc, and transfer values are interchangeable depending on the clubs involved and do not give a true reflection of value.