Premier League to introduce semi-automated offside technology next season | From the Autumn...

RedRocket9908

Premier League Statement

At a Premier League Shareholders’ meeting today, clubs unanimously agreed to the introduction of Semi-Automated Offside Technology.

"The new system will be used for the first time in the Premier League next season, and it is anticipated the technology will be ready to be introduced after one of the Autumn international breaks.

"The technology will provide quicker and consistent placement of the virtual offside line, based on optical player tracking, and will produce high-quality broadcast graphics to ensure an enhanced in-stadium and broadcast experience for supporters."

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It also makes sense they introduce it in the autumn as the PL loves to be polemic and create headlines.

I predict on week 2 there will be a goal given that shouldn't have been.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
This is good, it was great at the WC and makes a lot of sense. It's a bit weird for it to be introduced during the season and I feel like better planning could've ensured that the whole competition would be played with the same basic technology, but it's better than nothing!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It also makes sense they introduce it in the autumn as the PL loves to be polemic and create headlines.

I predict on week 2 there will be a goal given that shouldn't have been.
And in the reverse fixture of that game, the other team having one disallowed because of that technology.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'm not looking forward to this at all. We're going to see a return of the ridiculous mm offsides.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Keep in mind it still isn't instant and you can still have checks taking up minutes

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Great decision.

Yes, it will have miniscule offsides being called, but you have borderline decisions being called inevitably no matter where you shift the goalposts to. This just means it won't be humans drawing lines or tons of time spent analyzing and essentially guessing, it'll be quick and it'll be automated to show that it's offside. Can't complain much at that.

Teja

The offside calls in football matches I watch using the semi-automated system work so much faster and accurately.
I don't really understand the proposal. How does it work exactly? The linesman has a device that tells them instantly if a player is off? Or is it only used in VAR reviews?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
This is a major issue. They need to also tweak the law. Hawkeye style offsides will result in decisions were a player's fringe plays him offside.
Still wish they would only use boots for it and nothing else. Could be no arguments then.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
  • Quality through ball played
  • Attacker through on goal
  • Gets excited and gets a boner
  • Offside
  • Chucked off the team
  • Can't provide for family
  • Becomes a prostitute
  • Becomes addicted to drugs
  • Has to commit crime to feed addiction
  • Gets arrested
  • Sentenced to life in prison
It could happen

saivet

Why is it only a semi? Why can't they have it fully developed?
Interference of play offsides are subjective so they would still require human intervention. This change mainly helps with the speed of decisions, which currently can be too long for offsides imo.

Dan_F

This is going to be a disaster.
Was it a disaster in the World Cup or Champions League? This isn’t a new technology, the premier league of course tried to be different and have realised how stupid it was.

If you want to use technology, decisions need to be as binary as possible. Offside is offside no matter the amount. If it isn’t, you might as well scrap the whole lot and go back to the linesman making the decision.

saivet

I don't really understand the proposal. How does it work exactly? The linesman has a device that tells them instantly if a player is off? Or is it only used in VAR reviews?
I think it will only be used in VAR reviews. I don't think it would be sophisticated enough to work effectively in real time.

saivet

Was it a disaster in the World Cup or Champions League? This isn’t a new technology, the premier league of course tried to be different and have realised how stupid it was.

If you want to use technology, decisions need to be as binary as possible. Offside is offside no matter the amount. If it isn’t, you might as well scrap the whole lot and go back to the linesman making the decision.
Agreed, it's not the same as goal line technology as there are subjective offsides due to interference of play but for the vast majority of offsides, this can be determined quickly and easily by technology to determine if a player is offside or onside. Found it ridiculous that clubs rejected this technology previously but we're getting there in the end.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft

Yes, in the Argentina Saudi game. And reliance on it will have those kinds of incidents happening much more often. Much like VAR we will all be sick of this in a few years and wishing it never came.

brian017

The whole Spurs-Liverpool goal debacle would have been avoid if they had voted for this last season. It would have also be interesting to see if Garnacho’s goal against Arsenal would’ve stood

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Still wish they would only use boots for it and nothing else. Could be no arguments then.
I think it should be based on the players torso. If you used their boots, for example, then it all depends on where their foot happens to be during their running action. If they are running towards the goal, then their torso is only going forward, whereas at certain points in their stride, their foot might be ahead or behind the other player...if that makes sense.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I think it should be based on the players torso. If you used their boots, for example, then it all depends on where their foot happens to be during their running action. If they are running towards the goal, then their torso is only going forward, whereas at certain points in their stride, their foot might be ahead or behind the other player...if that makes sense.
I wouldn't mind that either to be honest - just make it uniform and base it on only one body part.

Dan_F

Yes, in the Argentina Saudi game. And reliance on it will have those kinds of incidents happening much more often. Much like VAR we will all be sick of this in a few years and wishing it never came.
I can’t remember it, but assuming it was a wrong decision, One mistake in 64 games at the World Cup? I’d like to see how many bad offside calls there are in your average Premier League month, not to mention the technology will improve.

I don’t think anyone watching the World Cup or champions league for the last two years has really given it a second thought during games, I certainly don’t. In fact the only thing I tend to think during the games is why can’t the premier league VAR make decisions this quickly. It’s not changing any laws, it’s simply getting more accurate and quicker decisions.