Presnell Kimpembe - Underrated CB

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Hi everybody,

I don't know if i'm allowed to start a thread so if I can't, sorry about that.

I'd like to talk a bit about Presnell Kimpembe who's, in my opinion, one of the most underrated CB in europe at the moment.

And i'll start with what he did tonight against Lille. 1vs4, his thigh muscle snaps midway and he keeps on running to deliver an amazing tackle.

We can also remember his game against Barcelona when PSG won 4-0, one of his 1st big game and he was totally dominant.

He had 1 rough season 2 years ago that stopped his progressin because of injuries but I do think we should talk more about this guy.

Let's see how tonight's play looked like. His gets injured right after passing the midfield, but does this :

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What will be first choice CB duo for France for euros?

Mad number of options to choose from. Away to Portugal it was Kimpembe-Varane.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
What will be first choice CB duo for France for euros?

Mad number of options to choose from. Away to Portugal it was Kimpembe-Varane.
It's going to be Kimpembe/Varane. Lenglet is out of the picture, Umtiti is barely walking straight and Deschamps doesn't seem to like Laporte a lot.

Anustart89

Hi everybody,

I don't know if i'm allowed to start a thread so if I can't, sorry about that.

I'd like to talk a bit about Presnell Kimpembe who's, in my opinion, one of the most underrated CB in europe at the moment.

And i'll start with what he did tonight against Lille. 1vs4, his thigh muscle snaps midway and he keeps on running to deliver an amazing tackle.

We can also remember his game against Barcelona when PSG won 4-0, one of his 1st big game and he was totally dominant.

He had 1 rough season 2 years ago that stopped his progressin because of injuries but I do think we should talk more about this guy.

Let's see how tonight's play looked like. His gets injuried right after passing the midfield, but does this :

Fantastic tackle. I'm sure he'll look fondly back on it from the rehab facility when they win the league by 24 points and not 23 :drool:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It's going to be Kimpembe/Varane. Lenglet is out of the picture, Umtiti is barely walking straight and Deschamps doesn't seem to like Laporte a lot.
Saw Zouma on the bench for that Portugal game. Upamecano not in the mix at all, Deschamps waiting until he joins bigger club? Just 3 caps so far.

Red00012

Granted I’ve only seen him a few times but the few times I’ve seen him I haven’t thought much of him .

Then again my main memory of him is the handball in Paris !

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
According to a French coach Laporte has social issue's with the other players, Apparently he comes across as pretty arrogant as well.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Saw Zouma on the bench for that Portugal game. Upamecano not in the mix at all, Deschamps waiting until he joins bigger club? Just 3 caps so far.
We have and amazing supply of right footed center backs. Varane (a bit off lately), Upamecano, Koundé, Fofana etc. We're set for a couple of years imo.
But Deschamps is old school, left CB will have to be left footed, right CB right footed. He rarely puts 2 right footed CB's on the pitch at the same time.

Don't know if Zouma or Upamecano will be there as a sub though.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I’ve always thought he was a weakness but I’m happy to be edified

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
According to a French coach Laporte has social issue's with the other players, Apparently he comes across as pretty arrogant as well.
It wouldn't surprise me, it rarely flies with Deschamps, his group's atmosphere is REALLY important to him, that's one of the reasons why Lacazette has a hard time getting in.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We have and amazing supply of right footed center backs. Varane (a bit off lately), Upamecano, Koundé, Fofana etc. We're set for a couple of years imo.
But Deschamps is old school, left CB will have to be left footed, right CB right footed. He rarely puts 2 right footed CB's on the pitch at the same time.

Don't know if Zouma or Upamecano will be there as a sub though.
French football is in astonishing hands for years to come

leet

Tackle was great, but this was more of ultra bad play from Yilmaz

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
French football is in astonishing hands for years to come
Except we can't fight good right backs for the life of us ^^

On the left we have Hernandez (Théo), his brother Lucas, Mendy, Digne and on the right... Nobody (well we have Pavard but he's pretty limited).

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Except we can't fight good right backs for the life of us ^^

On the left we have Hernandez (Théo), his brother Lucas, Mendy, Digne and on the right... Nobody (well we have Pavard but he's pretty limited).
Good enough to win World cup and dependable squad player for Bayern at least!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Been impressed with him since that CL Final against Bayern.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
From what I’ve seen he’s really good

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It wouldn't surprise me, it rarely flies with Deschamps, his group's atmosphere is REALLY important to him, that's one of the reasons why Lacazette has a hard time getting in.
Given the not so distant memory of dressing room problems within the French team, you can't argue against that thinking!

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Given the not so distant memory of dressing room problems within the French team, you can't argue against that thinking!
No you can't, and you can't argue with a coach the takes a very damaged national team and leads it to 1 world cup and 1 euro final, even if there's still debates on french TV about Benzema being banned from this team under Deschamps.

Kimpembe on the other end is a perfect soldier for PSG and the national team.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Haven't seen much in him in our fixtures v PSG to be fair. I'm very wary of rating players from the French League, but he might be really good - haven't seen him enough.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Haven't seen much in him in our fixtures v PSG to be fair. I'm very wary of rating players from the French League, but he might be really good - haven't seen him enough.
This.

Difficult to rate him and haven’t really seen him be as dominant in the UCL knockout matches. One or 2 aside which PSG dominated, as mentioned by the OP. Also, Marquinhos seems to be the leader at the back for PSG (when he’s not deployed at DM, that is). But he must be quite good/highly rated as I’ve seen him start for the French NT (then again, so does Sissoko :lol:) - you need team players, I know.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
This.

Difficult to rate him and haven’t really seen him be as dominant in the UCL knockout matches. One or 2 aside which PSG dominated, as mentioned by the OP. Also, Marquinhos seems to be the leader at the back for PSG (when he’s not deployed at DM, that is). But he must be quite good/highly rated as I’ve seen him start for the French NT (then again, so does Sissoko :lol:) - you need team players, I know.
I can't understand that, hence this thread because he did have a couple of bad games that tainted his international reputation.

But he also had other impressive performances, like against Dortmund in the second leg (this save on the ball for Haaland at the 20th minute was fantastic) :

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Like most defenders in their early 20s his reading of the game at the very top level hasn't always convinced during the last couple of seasons. I don't think he's always helped by Bernat whose instincts are more attacking in nature and, from what I've seen, lacks good defensive communication. But it's just part of the journey for most centre-halves progressing to that elite level and his anticipation and positioning are improving, which is a potent mix when you consider all the other attributes he brings to PSG.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I can't understand that, hence this thread because he did have a couple of bad games that tainted his international reputation.

But he also had other impressive performances, like against Dortmund in the second leg (this save on the ball for Haaland at the 20th minute was fantastic) :
Great highlight reel. I think he might suffer because he’s based in France atm, Olly. So there’s a strong case that he is underrated in all honesty. I haven’t personally watched enough of him & I assume once that changes (more and more dominant performance in the UCL knockout stages or for the French NT), it might continue to be the case.

He seems to have the complete package to turn into a monster CB though.

RUCK4444

Never been particularly impressed when I've seen him play tbh. Still young and no doubt will continue to improve though.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Great highlight reel. I think he might suffer because he’s based in France atm, Olly. So there’s a strong case that he is underrated in all honesty. I haven’t personally watched enough of him & I assume once that changes (more and more dominant performance in the UCL knockout stages or for the French NT), it might continue to be the case.

He seems to have the complete package to turn into a monster CB though.
His major flaw is that he isn't that dominant in the air. Marquinhos is good but not as good as Thiago Silva was.

Rio is liking thing (i repost the video because this one is far better with the different angles and the moment when he gets injured). The resolve in this guy.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
So much talent at centre-back for France. Wolfsburg's Maxence Lacroix arguably the best in Bundesliga this season.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Is that how he is considered across Europe?
Probably not by fans overall (bare in mind that for UK fans only players who have ever played at Premier League are considered good players :D ), but as a football podcasts consumer, I saw his name being mentioned by a few managers who said he would be their first choice because he embodies everything they needed on a center back: aggressiveness, smart on interceptions, power and speed and awareness.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Probably not by fans overall (bare in mind that for UK fans only players who have ever played at Premier League are considered good players :D ), but as a football podcasts consumer, I saw his name being mentioned by a few managers who said he would be their first choice because he embodies everything they needed on a center back: aggressiveness, smart on interceptions, power and speed and awareness.
That's interesting. I wasn't thinking about the UK in particular but Europe as a whole, I don't really know what people think about french players outside of France or their clubs when they are abroad.

Now Kimpembe main issue is that he is sometimes reckless, there are moments where he seems to think that he is Beckenbauer, theys are rarer nowadays but it still happens.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I still can't get over the fact that some players are totally overrated in PL, this is insane to me :

A little clip to assert dominance :