Pressing, or should that be non pressing.

goldenballs

Victoria's secret
What's the idea of just strolling around the park when out of possession. We are quite happy to trot alongside an opposition player while he has the the ball, allowing him plenty of time to select the pass of his choice. There does not seem to be any urgency or aggression in our defending, consequently we keep getting bombarded with pressure at the back. Frustrates the hell out of me.

gaffs

One of my biggest frustrations with this Ten Hag United. We don't press from the front, at all. Maybe Hojland will close down a defender, but it is fruitless as the defender will have multiple passing options.

Ten Hag was supposed to bring this to the club after employing it at Ajax.

How easy was it for Copenhagen to play out of the back against us?

K Stand Knut

One of my biggest frustrations with this Ten Hag United. We don't press from the front, at all. Maybe Hojland will close down a defender, but it is fruitless as the defender will have multiple passing options.

The issue is lack of a press as a functioning unit.

We often get 1 or, at a push, 2 pressing together but never 3 or 4 that would do the job properly.

Last night was particularly embarrassing in the first half but definitely not the first time

tomaldinho1

Last season we were near the top (maybe even top at one point) for pressing stats. This season has been a nose dive though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Interesting thing stats-wise. When you look at our PPDA (which measures pressing intensity) we're midtable. And yet we've also won the ball back high up the pitch more than any other team in the league this season.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
We pressed very high and aggressively earlier in the season. We aren’t going to press the same with Evans and Maguire at CB. Once people start realising the injuries are hugely impacting implementing the intended play style this season peace of mind will come.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
We can press, it's just pressing without bigger sense of predicting, where the ball will be distributed gonna be just burning energy for the sake of it. It feels that's exactly what City will be counting on Sunday.

tomaldinho1

We pressed very high and aggressively earlier in the season. We aren’t going to press the same with Evans and Maguire at CB. Once people start realising the injuries are hugely impacting implementing the intended play style this season peace of mind will come.
Yep, this lack of pace in our team is actually a massive issue and is why we're deeper and not pressing much in my opinion. Varane's speed has really fallen away (he was outpaced by Icardi the snail) and Maguire, Licha, Lindelof, Evans are all average to slow. Case is quite slow, Eriksen is slow and I'm not sure you'd really class any of our attackers as that fast, Rashford looks slower, Hojlund is fast but is too big so takes a while to get up to speed and Antony is average pace.

Marcus

Does a successful team have to press to force turnovers? Is there a way to succeed in modern football without pressing? I mean I personally think that the reason we aren't scoring is because our players are too tired with their inefficient way of pressing (running and running, rather than by good positioning) . How can you be fresh and composed in goal-scoring situations if you are bloody knackered? If we need to press, then we really need this to be done together and in a sustainable manner.

Jean-Pierre Papin was a clinical goal-scorer who saved all his energy until he was in a position to do damage.

flappyjay

Does a successful team have to press to force turnovers? Is there a way to succeed in modern football without pressing? I mean I personally think that the reason we aren't scoring is because our players are too tired with their inefficient way of pressing (running and running, rather than by good positioning) . How can you be fresh and composed in goal-scoring situations if you are bloody knackered? If we need to press, then we really need this to be done together and in a sustainable manner.

Jean-Pierre Papin was a clinical goal-scorer who saved all his energy until he was in a position to do damage.
Real Madrid are not pressing monsters so it is possible.

TomSkalle

Doesnt help with winning the ball when our players just give it away the next couple of passes.
This group of players must be the least fotball intelligent group of players that we have ever had.
They seem to think its not needed to keep track of players around them for pass options, or move to give other team players a pass option.

If they get a sudden pass, or are in a duel, they just kick the ball away in any direction and hope it gets picked up. No plan whatsoever.
Most of the time they dont take the ball down on the chest, or just head toward team players, because most of the time they have not oriented themselves when the ball comes, so they just head or kick the ball away.
No plan whatsoever.
I have also never seen any team have so much unforced pass errors as we have, on this level.

Until ETH gets better passers in the team, he needs to play a different style of fotball, its that simple.
The fact that he cant understand this will get him sacked.
Just play a system that suits our players until we get them changed out.

Last edited:

Marcus

Real Madrid are not pressing monsters so it is possible.
Maybe we could try this. Not being lazy, but saving energy to finish the game more strongly and being fresher when opportunities are created. Rather than running ragged and losing composure.