Pro Cycling 2022

F-Red

What a TdF for Denmark though. Starting the tour off there, stage wins for Court/Pedersen/Vindegaard, and the GC victory. Remarkable.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I need to know more about this. How and why did you end up in a bike ride with Boonen? He was my cycling hero during his career.
I’ve ridden/boozed with lots of the top cyclists from the period between 2002-2015.

I worked on The Tour itself a good few times, and went to other classics too. Spent time around some of the training villages.

It’s a huge time period and it wasn’t my day job. I just took time off to work and ride in the sunshine for a few weeks of the year. Some of the best experiences of my life and there are hundreds of them.

That Boonen story is oversold, but accurate. It’s not like he and I went out for a ride. The day started with 20-30 folks. In the Alps, some stopped for food and drink somewhere. A few of us cracked on and filled up bidons further up the hill. We rode for a couple of hours. Four of us finished the ride together and smashed back beers. I can’t remember the other lads name but he was riding for FDJ at the time.

The Tour and cycling in general is the most welcoming sport on the planet. I love it so much. Up at 7am. Breakfast in Provence, ride up Ventoux, eat some sweets, fly back down the hill racing crazy Belgians, eat, shower. Nap. Then party with the Madeleine girls from the tour caravan until the wee hours. Never lived as well and probably never will again.

Suedesi

What exactly did Pogacar do today compared to Vingegaard? One half-arsed attack at the top of second to last climb, and that was it. He didn't attack even once on Peyragudes, even though he had been carried by his own team the entire stage. Vingegaard and Jumbo-Visma have still been responsible for the most explosive and offensive stage in this Tour by some distance, which led to their solid lead now, and they are quite right to defend it.

As for who the better rider is, that is very debatable based on what we have seen so far. Pogacar is obviously more explosive, but Vingegaard is better on longer, harder climbs and he also showed today that he is superior at descending. Pogacar might be a slightly better time trialist, but not by much.
Jumbo Visma have been the better team compared to UAE. UAE had 2 cases of COVID-19, on week 1 - then Marc Hirschi who was a late replacement for Trentin has also been recovering from COVID and has been a non-factor. Add Soler bout of sickness and Majka tearing his hammie after the chainsnap and it's just rotten luck. At some point it starts to add up w.r.t. to the GC fight, don't you agree?

Jonas has been a worthy winner. And Wout has been incredible throughout. But to mirror someone else's comments on the thread, Jonas just leaves me cold - dull personality and annoying face/voice/mannerisms. I understand Danes might not share that view :lol:

Suedesi

Honestly, that's a pretty ridiculous thing to say after today's stage. Pogacar was almost 2m30 down at the start of the stage and did virtually nothing of note all day, while he's running out of stages. An attack 100m before the top of the penultimate climb and then basically winning a sprint at the finish after a counter-attack from Vingegaard. Regardless, it's not Vingegaard's job to attack from this position. This might be his only chance at winning the Tour, you never know. He needs to get this over the line, everything else is secondary.

How can you even say that? It doesn't matter what happened before this Tour, Vingegaard has clearly been the superior rider. He's answered every single attack by Pogacar with ease, only losing sprints as Pog is clearly the more explosive rider. You can say about their respective teams whatever you want, the point is that Pogacar hasn't been able to drop Vingegaard a single time, while it did happen the other way around, in spectacular and comprehensive fashion.

Yes, Pogacar is the better rider overall, that's not even up for debate; he might be the best rider ever. He will end up with far more grand tour wins than Vingegaard at the end of their respective careers. But this Tour, at least so far, Vingegaard has been the better rider without a doubt. Should he manage to get it over the line, it will be well deserved.

I feel he gets far too little respect by some posters on here. He's a hell of a climber.
Fair enough, today he showed he deserves a lot more respect

Mike Smalling

Jumbo Visma have been the better team compared to UAE. UAE had 2 cases of COVID-19, on week 1 - then Marc Hirschi who was a late replacement for Trentin has also been recovering from COVID and has been a non-factor. Add Soler bout of sickness and Majka tearing his hammie after the chainsnap and it's just rotten luck. At some point it starts to add up w.r.t. to the GC fight, don't you agree?

Jonas has been a worthy winner. And Wout has been incredible throughout. But to mirror someone else's comments on the thread, Jonas just leaves me cold - dull personality and annoying face/voice/mannerisms. I understand Danes might not share that view :lol:
Of course, Jumbo-Visma have been the better team - I don't think anybody would deny that. They have had the strongest riders throughout, and arguably superior tactics as well. They have had a bit of bad luck as well with Roglic and Kruijswijk crashing out, but not anything really comparable to UAE.

My post was more a reaction to the suggestion that Vingegaard has been boring or riding overly defensive. He has done exactly what was needed to win the GC, and has been aggressive at the right times, which has now resulted in two stage wins and a massive GC gap. He also attacked on La Plance des Belles Filles almost winning the stage.

As for his personality and style as a rider, that's of course just an individual opinion. He has a fairly subdued personality that's for sure, and most people would probably agree that Pogacar has more swagger on the bike. I'm thrilled he is winning though, both because of his nationality, but also because it breaks the winning streak of Pogacar. Much more interesting when multiple riders are in contention.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Can’t be any debate that Vingegaard deserves this - he very much does. Can’t remember this debate about having the strongest team when Armstrong did it with US Postal or Froome, Wiggins and Bernal with Ineos recently. Teams assemble strong climbers alongside their GC contender, that’s only natural.

I think Pogacar underestimated Vingegaard whereas the latter has been focused on this Tour since his second place last year. On one hand I hope Pogacar keeps the same mindset and rides throughout the year; on the other hand I hope he refocuses on the Tour to show everyone else who’s boss in the peloton.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I think he's good where he is. The support they've given him in classics and some of the stages is great. How many other teams could give him a rider as strong as Laporte in support?
Lots of other teams would make him the captain and build a team to ride to his strengths. Don’t think it would do him any harm in classics. I just don’t get why a guy of his immense talent is content with spending half his time being a domestique.

Mike Smalling

Lots of other teams would make him the captain and build a team to ride to his strengths. Don’t think it would do him any harm in classics. I just don’t get why a guy of his immense talent is content with spending half his time being a domestique.
Still, he will leave this Tour with at least two stage wins and the green jersey, while playing a massive role in his team winning the yellow jersey as well. Quite possibly, he will win at least one more stage. That's still a very good haul. Also, the Tour is just one race in the calendar, even if it is the biggest. There are plenty of other opportunities for race wins.

Even if the spotlight doesn't shine on him exclusively, he is in a very good situation with TJV.

Suedesi

I’ve ridden/boozed with lots of the top cyclists from the period between 2002-2015.

I worked on The Tour itself a good few times, and went to other classics too. Spent time around some of the training villages.

It’s a huge time period and it wasn’t my day job. I just took time off to work and ride in the sunshine for a few weeks of the year. Some of the best experiences of my life and there are hundreds of them.

That Boonen story is oversold, but accurate. It’s not like he and I went out for a ride. The day started with 20-30 folks. In the Alps, some stopped for food and drink somewhere. A few of us cracked on and filled up bidons further up the hill. We rode for a couple of hours. Four of us finished the ride together and smashed back beers. I can’t remember the other lads name but he was riding for FDJ at the time.

The Tour and cycling in general is the most welcoming sport on the planet. I love it so much. Up at 7am. Breakfast in Provence, ride up Ventoux, eat some sweets, fly back down the hill racing crazy Belgians, eat, shower. Nap. Then party with the Madeleine girls from the tour caravan until the wee hours. Never lived as well and probably never will again.
Sounds awesome!

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Jumbo Vista winning the Yellow, Green and King of the Mountains jerseys, with hardly half a team left, is pretty sensational.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs

Where did you find the time to dope??!

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I once had a night out with Frank Vandenbroucke (RiP) and his entourage, used to work with one of his mates.
He was in before I got involved really. Tragic story though.

That Lampre kit of his era was perfect.

MiracleInMadrid

Fantastic day today for danish cycling. The culmination of some fantastic years with great results.

It’s on everyones lips and the buzz is huge. Probably of the biggest danish sporting achievements ever and certainly since the nineties. He will be remembered for this forever.

People who complain about him focusing more or less solely on the TdF this year.. I mean, come on. He is about to win the biggest race in the world by some margin by the looks of it. Something any rider would kill to be able to. No need to risk his form, when he and his team has found it realistic to challenge for the top spot in the Tour.

Now he’s got the world at his feet, and has proven, not only for himself, but his employer and teammates, that he is capable of great things. From now on he can look at other races and objectives. He’s a late bloomer, so he is still a young rider.
That being said, Pogacar is obviously a phenomenon and will surely have a longer list of wins at the end of their careers.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Pretty epic "end" to the Tour yesterday. Credit for Pogacar for fighting but Jumbo and Vingegaard just too strong.
Great homage from Jonas to win on the stage over Aubisque to Hautacam where the two previous greatest Danish moments in cycling happened:

and

Ainu

Pretty epic "end" to the Tour yesterday. Credit for Pogacar for fighting but Jumbo and Vingegaard just too strong.
Great homage from Jonas to win on the stage over Aubisque to Hautacam where the two previous greatest Danish moments in cycling happened:

and

:lol::nervous:

Let's just hope and assume that's where the similarities end!

Samid

and

Feel a bit sorry for the guy with the media banging on about him following in the footsteps of those cnuts.

Mike Smalling

and

Justice for Michael Rasmussen! Should have won that Tour - don’t tell me the other guys weren’t doping.

Samid

God how lame is this UAE team? Poga after a bike change is dragging all his teammates back to the peloton.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
So is Jumbo-Visma the new Festina or U.S. Postal?
New Telekom clearly, first team since them to get Green and Yellow with a Danish champion.

This also makes me happy as it'll mean next year the new Ulle will dethrone Vingegaard from within their team.:devil:

Mike Smalling

So, today is the day it is all settled. It would have to take an extremely bad day for Vingegaard to lose it (bad crash or several mechanicals), but you never know.

Currently, Wout is looking good to win the TT stage. I hope he does, so he or Jumbo-Visma don't come home emptyhanded.

Giggs' right foot

When Vingegaard nearly crashed close to the cliff, my heart was like "Yeah, Imma accelerate this pumping to a 180 bpm." fecking hell.

Mike Smalling

Great performance from Vingegaard today. Just showed what a great TT rider he is as well. Had he not slowed down to enjoy it towards the end, it would have been really tight, but I think he probably lost the chance of winning with his near miss in that turn.

Wout van Aert might not have won the GC, but he is arguably the rider of this Tour. It is absolutely incredible what he has done. Sprint wins, TT win, wild breakaways, saving Vingegaard on the cobble stage, dropping Pogacar on the last climb, etc. Unreal performance. No wonder the emotions bubbled over after today. And he still has a pretty decent chance tomorrow!

Suedesi

Great performance from Vingegaard today. Just showed what a great TT rider he is as well. Had he not slowed down to enjoy it towards the end, it would have been really tight, but I think he probably lost the chance of winning with his near miss in that turn.

Wout van Aert might not have won the GC, but he is arguably the rider of this Tour. It is absolutely incredible what he has done. Sprint wins, TT win, wild breakaways, saving Vingegaard on the cobble stage, dropping Pogacar on the last climb, etc. Unreal performance. No wonder the emotions bubbled over after today. And he still has a pretty decent chance tomorrow!
I think Jonas was happy to let Wout win the TT stage

Mike Smalling

I think Jonas was happy to let Wout win the TT stage
Wout certainly indicated that Vingegaard gave him the stage. Vingegaard said himself that it was a 19 second gap anyway, and that he probably wouldn't have won if he had gone flat out. Doesn't really matter in the end - they both got what they really wanted.

I'm backing Philipsen for the sprint today. Jakobsen and Ewan have looked very tired, so not sure how much they have left, and Wout gave absolutely everything yesterday. Hoping for Pedersen though.

Ainu

Missed the final stage but happy for Philipsen, two stages, including the most prestigious one on the entire calendar for a sprinter, is a great haul for him.

What a Tour. It's easily the best one I've seen, full of brilliant attacking riding. Van Aert's individual Tour is probably the greatest I can remember from a non-GC rider. I'm obviously biased but he was the highlight of these three weeks for me, with Pogacar and Vingegaard just behind him. Admirable performance from Geraint Thomas as well.

Biggest disappointment, it has to be said: van der Poel. I have no idea what his team were thinking, letting him ride this program. Injury disrupted his preparation to the season, which is unfortunate and you can't do anything about that. However, knowing that, why on earth would you let him ride the Giro almost immediately after the classics season, AND the Tour shortly after that? It feels like a shocking lack of professionalism. He hadn't even finished a single grand tour before this season. Can you imagine something like that happening at a team like Jumbo Visma?

Other disappointment, though hardly surprising: the entire Lotto-Soudal team. They had a shocker, especially Ewan. And I guess Astana as well, but yeah, whatever, not a team I care about.

Samid

How the feck has Frain not been DSQ after this? Read the room ffs, the riders in front of you haven't stopped so you can slalom past them at full speed.

Mike Smalling

How the feck has Frain not been DSQ after this? Read the room ffs, the riders in front of you haven't stopped so you can slalom past them at full speed.
That's pretty outrageous. She also hit the ground pretty hard herself - lucky not to break a collar bone or something.

Even if it's improving, you still see some weird shit in women's cycling on occasion.

Ainu

Ralaks

Danish TV would fit well in here, live streaming him landing today as well as tracking the plane live on flight tracker. TV coverage started several hours even before he landed in DK

Mike Smalling

Danish TV would fit well in here, live streaming him landing today as well as tracking the plane live on flight tracker. TV coverage started several hours even before he landed in DK
Big day today :lol:

That's incredibly Danish, to be fair. Gotta make the most of it, whenever there is a notable sports achievement.

Edit: Full-on F-16 fighter jet flyby in the airport. Come on :lol:

Last edited: