Pro Cycling 2023

Suedesi

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Merlier vs Ewan in the UAE Tour sprint today...

Ainu

Not much going on in this thread these days. Anyway, it was an incredibly impressive win by van der Poel. We have to go back quite a few years to Nibali's victory for the last rider to ride away solo on the Poggio and maintain the gap, although Alaphilippe was pretty close a couple of years back if van Aert hadn't caught him on the descent. This was more impressive than Nibali though, as I feel the pack sort of underestimated him then.

No such thing here, van der Poel simply dropped Pog, Ganna and van Aert on the final part of the Poggio, so he was clearly the strongest. If he maintains this form, it will be hard for anyone, including Pog, to keep him from taking that 3rd win in RvV. Still hoping van Aert can finally add to his monuments tally this year though, it's been too long and he really needs one of RvV or P-R on his palmares, or it risks becoming a major albatross around his neck.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Van Aert has now Van Baarle at his side at Jumbo which should be a huge help for Flanders and PR if they both gang up on MVDP.
I was mightily impressed by Ganna, crazy to follow Pog this smoothly on the Poggio.

Ainu

Van Aert has now Van Baarle at his side at Jumbo which should be a huge help for Flanders and PR if they both gang up on MVDP.
I was mightily impressed by Ganna, crazy to follow Pog this smoothly on the Poggio.
I don't think ganging up on VDP has any effect in RvV, if he's in form I see no scenario where he can be dropped. I mean, he's 1st, 2nd and 1st in his last three starts there. He simply doesn't get dropped there, he always sprints for the win. Roubaix is a different beast, I think van Aert has a better chance there. Speaking about Ganna, on current form, Roubaix should suit him really well.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I don't think ganging up on VDP has any effect in RvV, if he's in form I see no scenario where he can be dropped. I mean, he's 1st, 2nd and 1st in his last three starts there. He simply doesn't get dropped there, he always sprints for the win. Roubaix is a different beast, I think van Aert has a better chance there. Speaking about Ganna, on current form, Roubaix should suit him really well.
Just imagine Wout instead of Pogacar in the scenario at the end last year in Flanders. Wout could've sat completely on MVDP because Van Baarle was coming back in group 2, massive difference already. And if it would've come back they could've run 2on1 attacks all the time.

Ainu

Just imagine Wout instead of Pogacar in the scenario at the end last year in Flanders. Wout could've sat completely on MVDP because Van Baarle was coming back in group 2, massive difference already. And if it would've come back they could've run 2on1 attacks all the time.
I guess it could work, but it require very specific circumstances. The E3 Saxo Classic (aka the "mini Ronde") this Friday will give us a good idea of what to expect in the finale of RvV.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Not much going on in this thread these days. Anyway, it was an incredibly impressive win by van der Poel. We have to go back quite a few years to Nibali's victory for the last rider to ride away solo on the Poggio and maintain the gap, although Alaphilippe was pretty close a couple of years back if van Aert hadn't caught him on the descent. This was more impressive than Nibali though, as I feel the pack sort of underestimated him then.

The outright most bizarre thing for me was this, from an interview a few days before Milan - San Remo. Van der Poel actually envisioned it to happen like this:

From 2:00 minutes into the video, he's literally predicting it to be like this before the race. And then to actually pull it off exactly like that against phenomenal riders like Pogacar and Van Aert, and Ganna on his strongest day. Nothing short of spectacular. And you're right, there's too little going on in this thread for sure, there's so much beauty to be found in this sport!

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
The way Evenepoel is dominating the mountain stages in races this season (and ever since last year's Vuelta, to be fair) is absurd. The guy only just turned 23 this winter... This Volta a Catalunya is creating quite the expectations for a fascinating Giro this year, with Roglic and Evenepoel both participating. Of course you've also got the likes of Vlasov, Thomas, Almeida, Vine, Kelderman, ... but I think the main battle will be between Roglic and Evenepoel, really hoping it's gonna be a good one.

Hopefully the E3 and Gent-Wevelgem will be good ones this week, weather conditions are going to be pretty heroic just like today. Impressive ride from Philipsen, turning into an all-around classics guy and much more than a pure sprinter as guys like Ewan and Merlier.

Also really pulling for WVA to finally win the Ronde or Roubaix this season. As much respect as I have for MVDP and the incredible athlete and competitor he is, still rooting a bit more for the guy who lives next door. So hoping VDP doesn't win a third Ronde, really. I'd be fine with Pogacar winning it, also such a fun guy and great competitor who really appreciates the Monuments - it's so great and refreshing to see a Tour favorite competing in March in Paris-Nice and even San Remo. For that alone I hope he destroys Vingegaard in the Tour this year - if he has learned something from his defeat last season, he'll taken on his preparation slightly differently this year and he's comfortably the better rider imo. Maybe he needed that wake-up call that he's not invincible and can't be racing around Europe from March-May and then expect to beat everyone in the Tour.

Ainu

The way Evenepoel is dominating the mountain stages in races this season (and ever since last year's Vuelta, to be fair) is absurd. The guy only just turned 23 this winter... This Volta a Catalunya is creating quite the expectations for a fascinating Giro this year, with Roglic and Evenepoel both participating. Of course you've also got the likes of Vlasov, Thomas, Almeida, Vine, Kelderman, ... but I think the main battle will be between Roglic and Evenepoel, really hoping it's gonna be a good one.

Hopefully the E3 and Gent-Wevelgem will be good ones this week, weather conditions are going to be pretty heroic just like today. Impressive ride from Philipsen, turning into an all-around classics guy and much more than a pure sprinter as guys like Ewan and Merlier.

Also really pulling for WVA to finally win the Ronde or Roubaix this season. As much respect as I have for MVDP and the incredible athlete and competitor he is, still rooting a bit more for the guy who lives next door. So hoping VDP doesn't win a third Ronde, really. I'd be fine with Pogacar winning it, also such a fun guy and great competitor who really appreciates the Monuments - it's so great and refreshing to see a Tour favorite competing in March in Paris-Nice and even San Remo. For that alone I hope he destroys Vingegaard in the Tour this year - if he has learned something from his defeat last season, he'll taken on his preparation slightly differently this year and he's comfortably the better rider imo. Maybe he needed that wake-up call that he's not invincible and can't be racing around Europe from March-May and then expect to beat everyone in the Tour.
It doesn't really look like he got that wake-up call, to be honest. He seems to be even more focused on RVV this year, as he's also riding the E3 tomorrow, which he didn't do last year. Great for those of us who like to watch the Spring classics of course, but it's not exactly taking it easier, is it. :lol: He also has Amstel Gold Race and LBL on his schedule, which I believe he skipped last year. That's three monuments and a ton of other races before we even get to Grand Tour season, it's asking a lot.

Having said that, I don't think his preparation was the reason he failed to win the Tour. That was more because of how relentlessly he attacked within the Tour itself, and especially how much effort he wasted in chasing down Roglic attacks when that proved to be unnecessary in hindsight. Jumbo won't be able to repeat that strategy this year, so I'd be surprised if Pogacar has another offday like he did last year.

Ainu

I think we have our podium already, in no particular order: Pogacar, van der Poel and van Aert. That's the dream for every race organiser.

Ainu

Van Aert. :drool: Probably the lesser of the three on the climbs but I'm delighted to finally see him win in a direct duel against VDP in a race like this. He played it perfectly in the sprint. It'll be tough for him to survive the last Kwaremont and Paterberg next week, but this should be a massive mental boost.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
One acceleration on the Kemmel and he be gone. What a fecking bonkers athlete.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Thats' what happens without VDP and Pog. He might still give it away to Laporte though.
Hope he doesn’t. Might understand it in Brugge-De Panne, Kuurne, … but Gent-Wevelgem too big a race for me to just gift it to someone else. WVA also clearly the strongest.

Ainu

Hope he doesn’t. Might understand it in Brugge-De Panne, Kuurne, … but Gent-Wevelgem too big a race for me to just gift it to someone else. WVA also clearly the strongest.
Same for me, but van Aert is not as selfish as me. :lol: So I'm not sure.

Ainu

There it is, van Aert has to be the most selfless champion out there, between this and all his work in the Tour. But if he doesn't win RVV or PR, this will count for nothing...

Ainu

Jesus, that idiot from Bahrain Victorious in RVV! He's been taken out of the race but I hope it's a serious ban on top of it.

Last edited:

Ainu

These three are a blessing for the sport. I don't think there's ever been a better time to watch cycling in my lifetime.

Ainu

Looks like Pogacar is going to solo it, and it would be incredibly deserved. What a phenomenon.

Ainu

I swear Pogacar is a science experiment, ridiculous engine on him.
Simply one of the best cyclists ever. You can't compare eras, but he might be the closest thing to Merckx in the history of the sport in my opinion.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Pogi. So deserved, what a great champion.

slored1

Cannot believe Slovenia is the country that will have the GOAT of cycling. 3 monuments and 2 TDF at the age of 24!! Ridiculous.

Ainu

Cannot believe Slovenia is the country that will have the GOAT of cycling. 3 monuments and 2 TDF at the age of 24!! Ridiculous.
Four monuments actually. Well, three different ones but four in total. And who is going to stop him at LBL in a couple of weeks?