Program on Rashford tonight

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Marcush Rashford fills me with pride. What a fantastic human being he is.

“All the good things that have happened this year has come from Manchester United giving me an opportunity as a kid,” Rashford added.

“I don’t just remember the last year or the last five years. I’m talking about when nobody in my family drove and I had to get to training and United had people to come and take me to the training ground and take me back home when I was six, seven, eight, nine.

“The times they put me into accommodation when my mum was struggling at home, when I was 11 and I was there up until 16/17.

“It is a lot deeper than what people see sometimes. I think people see some of the stuff that has been happening since I’ve been in the first team but the bond that I have with United is much greater than these last five years.

“It will forever be greater than probably my actual career because they are the reason I have become a footballer, they have given me the opportunity to express myself and to find out I had talent in football.”

Early days but Rashford has all the makings of a person that will one day have a statue of himself adorning the gates at Old Trafford.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

“All the good things that have happened this year has come from Manchester United giving me an opportunity as a kid,” Rashford added.

“I don’t just remember the last year or the last five years. I’m talking about when nobody in my family drove and I had to get to training and United had people to come and take me to the training ground and take me back home when I was six, seven, eight, nine.

“The times they put me into accommodation when my mum was struggling at home, when I was 11 and I was there up until 16/17.

“It is a lot deeper than what people see sometimes. I think people see some of the stuff that has been happening since I’ve been in the first team but the bond that I have with United is much greater than these last five years.

“It will forever be greater than probably my actual career because they are the reason I have become a footballer, they have given me the opportunity to express myself and to find out I had talent in football.”

Early days but Rashford has all the makings of a person that will one day have a statue of himself adorning the gates at Old Trafford.
What a lad.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
My hero is over a decade younger than me.

dal

Whose this woman whom he’s with talking to most is the time. The one that’s helping him.

wowzers

Deery

Dreary
Amazing that he got £400m worth of free meals for children.

United Hobbit

So proud he plays for us, his mum must be so proud of everything he's done

I'd love for there to be a banner made for him at OT.

I believe he's starting a campaign about children's reading as well

arthurka

That kid is a brilliant ambassador for future generations. Great kid our
Marcus

Dread Devil

Wow, my admiration for this young man just goes higher and higher all the time...what an amazing personality and talent we have playing for Manchester United.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Him speaking to Boris Johnson on the phone was quite incredible. Johnson should have been addressing him as ‘sir’

Dan_F

Didn’t get a chance to watch it tonight, but I can’t wait to watch it back. Honestly, I don’t know how it’s possible to be so proud of someone you’ve never met, but he’s an absolute gem. Call it PR, whatever, he’s made such a huge difference for so many kids.

dal

As the kids would say, his roc nation sports manager is Peng.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Good lad. Very noble and decent of him. Hopefully others will follow - his genuine altruism strikes an interesting contrast with certain self-obsessed bench-warming prats we could mention. Hopefully he can change the world and develop into an elite level striker, keeping his focus on his footie,

CM

Came across very well, apart from the obvious good he's doing he is very eloquent.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
"Nobody has to help anyone, it's a decision"

He mumbles like he's nervous to speak but then smart words come out. everything he said in that program about the politicians he was trying to speak to was completely spot on.

Never judges anyone or talks anyone down, just focuses on what needs to happen so people can be helped. He's probably actually saved lives during the last 6-9 months and gone about it in a way very few people would be able to even if they were brave and selfless enough to try. If it was me I'd end up shouting and arguing with everyone in sight.

I found it quite a heart warming program in general as most of the focus was on the people who put themselves on the line to help others despite getting nothing in return, and it's important at the moment to see there are people out there like that and take inspiration from them.

Ole'sattheWheel

We've had a rough time lately as MUFC fans. Not much to cheer about while social media has grown and all of our opposition fans (and our own fans) tear into us at every opportunity. I started following United in around 2002-3 as a 10 year old from a council estate in manchester, so I got a solid 10 year spell as a United fan with many trophies and getting to see world class players at my club - more than most teams fans will get in a lifetime.

But honestly this stuff with Rashford has made me happier than any league or CL win - as people have said above he is genuinely a hero of mine while I'm quite a bit older than him.

Of course as fans we want to win trophies, but I think Rashford feeding these starving kids (a position I was once in), using his personal brand driven by being at this club is far more valuable than any trophy or accolade he can win for our fans.

For that reason alone I think there'll be a rather huge influx of mancunian boys with the name "Marcus" popping up over the next 5-10 years - in my family included.

What a credit to our club

Reactions: roonster09

TrustInOle

What an absolute credit to the human race he is! One of our own too and brilliant of United, as always with youth, looking after him and his family. I completely agree, medals aside, he has the making to be one of the greatest players and human beings to come out of Old Trafford. Massive credit to Mum to, she deserves a medal!

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
To remain grounded and as level-headed in an environment of extreme popularity and wealth is remarkably inspiring.

Rashford seems to recognise that compassion is universal and should never be predicated on class and wealth divisions.

My 7 year old adores him and he isn't a United fan! He had this to say this morning which I thought was particularly insightful for a kid: "Rashford makes football so much more than just scoring and winning. He makes it about caring. ".

Charlie Foley

When Pogba signed for United, someone on UWS (I believe it was Andy Mitten) said something to the tune of “Paul Pogba could be the biggest dickhead to ever play for United.” I think that was an unfair comment (for one thing, as a person Ryan Giggs is a proper dickhead), but I think there’s an argument that Rashford is one of the finest examples of a man to have ever represented the club. And he is only 23! What a remarkable young man.

Dante

Average bang
To remain grounded and as level-headed in an environment of extreme popularity and wealth is remarkably inspiring.

Rashford seems to recognise that compassion is universal and should never be predicated on class and wealth divisions.

My 7 year old adores him and he isn't a United fan! He had this to say this morning which I thought was particularly insightful for a kid: "Rashford makes football so much more than just scoring and winning. He makes it about caring. ".
Is Rashford making non-football headlines in Australia?

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Is Rashford making non-football headlines in Australia?
It depends on the media outlet but he definitely is featuring on our public broadcaster networks. Most of the footage is repurposed from the UK as you'd expect.

Barney Bubbles

He deserves a banner now.
A statue in the future.

For a young man to not forget about where he came from and to make the government take note is just phenomenal.
Take a bow young man!

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Obviously good on Rashy and I'll prolly get killed for even suggesting this, but does anyone think this might be, in part, a PR ploy? In the end, I guess it doesn't matter cos the message is so important and what it's achieved has been amazing. But cynical part of me has doubts about whether he wrote the statement on his own (perhaps understandable if he wanted maximum effect). Just to be clear, not suggesting that Marcus has anything but the right intentions, but maybe one of his handlers saw an opportunity with ulterior motives.