Protest planned before Norwich game

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This is such a horrific take all round that I don't really know where to start with pulling it apart. Imagine supposedly following the club since at least 2006 based on your RedCafe join date as the earliest possible timeframe and having this bad of an understanding of the issues.
What issue? Not spending enoguh? Debt takeover? If i buy a car on mortgage and use it as uber im doing the same as glazer.
It's just business. At the end of the day they oay their due.

It's capitalism or its only good when it suits us?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It’s definitely lacked vision, but that’s because we have let managers have free reign over signings without any overarching strategy. And no I don’t think champions league has anything to do with it, they have spent when it’s been logical to spend. Look I think they do deserve valid criticism when it comes to putting the right people in place within the football structure (cough Woodward) but this is something the club are clearly trying to address and like it or not it takes time.
And giving the manager the free reign is actually listening to the fans and saf when Fergie left us.

They actually listen to a football man. Just happen to be the wrong one. Even up till now they still listen to the great man, although i wish they trust their business instinct more and go with proven manager, swot and actual business analysis instead of feel good name like moyes and ole.

Much of our malady is caused by listening to saf god bless him. In 2013 we would support the direction or lettint saf become de facto dof. Hindsight is 20 20

Well they start getting ETH and i think it's a good direction to take.

Withnail

Funny, this, because my understanding is the complaint with the Glazers is they don't have enough money. Petro-state? Sounds great! Russian oligarch? Spectacular!
(I always thought we should go for a drug kingpin next.)

This also sounds like people who don't like a particular band, because they 'sold out' and became too popular.
Well all the drug czars are in boxing, obviously, so that's out.

But are you seriously suggesting that people want the Glazers out because they aren't rich enough and that they would be happy with a Russian crook or an oil state with a dodgy human rights record? :lol:

Withnail

What issue? Not spending enoguh? Debt takeover? If i buy a car on mortgage and use it as uber im doing the same as glazer.
It's just business. At the end of the day they oay their due.

It's capitalism or its only good when it suits us?
I'm having trouble determining what you're trying do say. What 'due' to the Glazers pay?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
So you're saying that unless a protest effects immediate change, it's pointless? Thank goodness the African American community didn't think that during the civil rights struggles. 'Mr King, we've chained ourselves to railings once but bathrooms remain segregated. What's the point? At this point all we're doing is fueling our own ego, our own self worth, nothing more.'
One of the most tone-deaf things I've read in a while. Take a seat sir.

steffyr2

But are you seriously suggesting that people want the Glazers out because they aren't rich enough and that they would be happy with a Russian crook or an oil state with a dodgy human rights record? :lol:
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
:boring: I've already explained the comment on the previous page in some detail but don't let that stop you piling on.
Yeah just saw that and it's still utterly ridiculous. The subject one protests matters as well. This isn't a protest about the Glazers' human rights record. It's about how the club was bought/run. You can find better examples.

Pickle85

Yeah just saw that and it's still utterly ridiculous. The subject one protests matters as well. This isn't a protest about the Glazers' human rights record. It's about how the club was bought/run. You can find better examples.
It's obviously not up to me to dictate what constitutes taking 'legitimate' offense, everyone's experience is personal and so it's absolutely subjective. That said, I don't feel it was intrinsically offensive; I used the civil rights movement as an example precisely for the reason that it IS the most serious social issue, to my mind, that peaceful protest has had an effect on. Nowhere did I compare the two examples and their significance because nobody in their right mind would. The point was that protest is a powerful tool for enacting change and without it some of the most egregious, horrendous policies we've seen would still be in place. I didn't use the civil rights movement as an example to minimize it, I used it because it is the most powerful example of why the right to protest (and people using that right) matters.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It's obviously not up to me to dictate what constitutes taking 'legitimate' offense, everyone's experience is personal and so it's absolutely subjective. That said, I don't feel it was intrinsically offensive; I used the civil rights movement as an example precisely for the reason that it IS the most serious social issue, to my mind, that peaceful protest has had an effect on. Nowhere did I compare the two examples and their significance because nobody in their right mind would. The point was that protest is a powerful tool for enacting change and without it some of the most egregious, horrendous policies we've seen would still be in place. I didn't use the civil rights movement as an example to minimize it, I used it because it is the most powerful example of why the right to protest (and people using that right) matters.
It’s just a pointless example though. In the civil rights movement there’s a clear right and wrong. In this current protest, while Utd fans do have some genuine gripes, there’s all a strong element of entitlement and throwing our toys out the pram because we are not longer winning. Last season the protests made sense and we showed our power to enact change. Yesterday was just pissed off fans moaning without any real legitimate reason.

Pickle85

It’s just a pointless example though. In the civil rights movement there’s a clear right and wrong. In this current protest, while Utd fans do have some genuine gripes, there’s all a strong element of entitlement and throwing our toys out the pram because we are not longer winning. Last season the protests made sense and we showed our power to enact change. Yesterday was just pissed off fans moaning without any real legitimate reason.
I didn't use it as an example of right or wrong though ffs, I used it as the most significant, important example of protest to enact change in recent memory to show how important protest is. It’s a broader point around why protest is important, I'm not comparing the two or going into rights and wrongs.

Dan_F

Has anyone mocking the protest actually sought out information on what they are trying to achieve? There’s an interview with them on the latest UWS podcast if anyone hasn’t, also they have a Twitter page too.

InfiniteBoredom

Not the majority, but not an extreme minority either. In the poll in the Saudi takeover thread a couple of years back, 1 in 3 supported the genocidal murderers buying us over maintaining status quo.

How many of that overlap with the most vocal LUHG/GnG folks are anybody’s guess, but yes, there are lots of Utd who would be happy as long as we are doped to the gills, even if it was by blood money.

Pickle85

Has anyone mocking the protest actually sought out information on what they are trying to achieve? There’s an interview with them on the latest UWS podcast if anyone hasn’t, also they have a Twitter page too.
What's the Twitter handle please?

Dan_F

What's the Twitter handle please?
@the__1958

I think there’s two underscores there, but it’s easy to find via Google. I’d encourage you to listen to the podcast mentioned. It does talk about future targeted action that non match going fans can do, as well as uniting the fan base.

Pickle85

@the__1958

I think there’s two underscores there, but it’s easy to find via Google. I’d encourage you to listen to the podcast mentioned. It does talk about future targeted action that non match going fans can do, as well as uniting the fan base.
Ta, good to know. Shall seek out the podcast too.

TrustInJanuzaj

Can you summarise here?

Dan_F

Can you summarise here?
That they know it’s going to take a long time but the ultimate aim is to get the Glazers to sell. The overall theme is to try and unite the fractured fan base and have targeted action against the Glazers by all (I’m assuming that means involving non match going fans but no details yet).

I can’t speak for them or pretend I know them, it might turn out to be shit, but it’s worth giving it a chance and not just dismissing it out of hand because you don’t think one protest will work. At the end of the day, I think most on here have to agree on the main principle that we’d be better off without them.

TrustInJanuzaj

That they know it’s going to take a long time but the ultimate aim is to get the Glazers to sell. The overall theme is to try and unite the fractured fan base and have targeted action against the Glazers by all (I’m assuming that means involving non match going fans but no details yet).

I can’t speak for them or pretend I know them, it might turn out to be shit, but it’s worth giving it a chance and not just dismissing it out of hand because you don’t think one protest will work. At the end of the day, I think most on here have to agree on the main principle that we’d be better off without them.
Yep and I can only speak for me but I’m not convinced this is the case. Better then devil you know sometimes. I think it’s just as likely (if not more likely) we get sold to an oil state or owners unwilling to let the club spend anything at all.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Funny, this, because my understanding is the complaint with the Glazers is they don't have enough money. Petro-state? Sounds great! Russian oligarch? Spectacular!
(I always thought we should go for a drug kingpin next.)

This also sounds like people who don't like a particular band, because they 'sold out' and became too popular.
Ah they are parasites, we generate enough money to throw cash around but that in itself is not without sporting or moral issues.

Withnail

Not the majority, but not an extreme minority either. In the poll in the Saudi takeover thread a couple of years back, 1 in 3 supported the genocidal murderers buying us over maintaining status quo.

How many of that overlap with the most vocal LUHG/GnG folks are anybody’s guess, but yes, there are lots of Utd who would be happy as long as we are doped to the gills, even if it was by blood money.
Exactly. Not a point worth making as it's baseless

Last edited:

wolvored

Although like a lot of folk i dislike the glazers and ideally they sell up to a white knight who runs utd like a football club instead of a commercial business, does anyone really think this will happen?
The glazers would want at least £3 5 billion to sell and another £500 mill+ would be needed to pay off the debt as it stands now.
The only ones who could possibly afford it, would be another body and run it for commercial gain, or an oil state like Saudi or similar. Musk or Bezos or the like have never shown an interest in football and the English billionaire who supports Utd cant remember his name, said its too dear to buy.
It will be sold one say, but sadly not to a better owner.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
The bolded is a cop-out. There is absolutely no reason to use the civil rights movement protests as an example and most people would assume you are attempting to compare the importance of the two. Simply use a better example and quit trying to justify the shitty one you used.

big rons sovereign

The bolded is a cop-out. There is absolutely no reason to use the civil rights movement protests as an example and most people would assume you are attempting to compare the importance of the two. Simply use a better example and quit trying to justify the shitty one you used.
I think you're making an issue out of nothing here mate.
It's not the greatest example but the point remains.
It takes a second to realise he's not comparing the two.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I think you're making an issue out of nothing here mate.
It's not the greatest example but the point remains.
It takes a second to realise he's not comparing the two.
I agree, it's not a big issue. That's why he should just admit it's a shit example rather than trying to justify it.

Withnail

I agree, it's not a big issue. That's why he should just admit it's a shit example rather than trying to justify it.
I thought nothing of it as I could tell what they meant and there was no comparison made between the two. I would have thought it was fairly obvious given it would be ridiculous to attempt to draw such a comparison.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I thought nothing of it as I could tell what they meant and there was no comparison made between the two. I would have thought it was fairly obvious given it would be ridiculous to attempt to draw such a comparison.
Civil rights shouldn't even be brought up in this context. The poster could have brought up the ESL protests, Gilette-Hicks protests, etc which all fit the context. We can all agree it's a bad example and move on.

Pickle85

Um, no. I've tried to explain that I used it precisely because it's the most important example of change being enacted via protest. I still don't think it's a shit example...in fact I think it's probably the best example of why protest is important. I'm genuinely sorry if you are offended by that, but I certainly wasn't using it in any kind of dog whistle way.