Quaranteam Draft - QF: Skizzo vs Isotope

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
aa

vs

................................................ TEAM SKIZZO ......................................................................................................... TEAM ISOTOPE ............................................................

TEAM SKIZZO

Formation - 442

In goal is Gordon Banks. World Cup Winner, and producer of perhaps the finest save we've ever witnessed. Pele so sure of the ball finding the back of the net after it left his head, he yelled out "goal" before witnessing Banks fly across his goal and flick it away. Considered one of the best of all time. Master vs Apprentice in this game with Banks and Shilton.

At left back is Ashley Cole. At one time considered the best left back in the world, his attacking prowess was shown at Arsenal as he often got forward and provided another outlet. Once he moved on to Chelsea, he showed off his defensive game as Mourinho left his mark. One of the few players who can say he performed well consistently against two of the best players of his generation, Ronaldo and Messi.

At right back is Tarcisio Burgnich, The Rock. Defense first and will sometimes look to tuck in when our shape adjusts. Behind a winger who can create and link up on his own without a fullback, Burgnich will be focused on keeping the defense tight.

The center back pairing is made up of Ruud Krol and Karl-Heinz Forster. Krol being the classy ball-player that he was, and Forster being the no-nonsense defender, the pairing complement each other well. Both tough, physically imposing players, Krol would provide a outlet from the back to the move the ball forward.

Ryan Giggs takes up his spot on the left of midfield. Personal life aside, almost every United fan loves Giggs for his dynamic approach, running down opposition defenders and his speed, quick feet, and dribbling. A mainstay on United's left flank for years, he showed his ability by adapting his game and mastering another position entirely. It seems to be often forgotten how he terrorized full backs and defenses...him and Finney would terrorize the full backs here, and would switch on occasion to give the defense different problems.

Sir Tom Finney mans the right flank. Twice voted Footballer of The Year in the 1950s, the debate on who was the best footballer between Blackpool's Stanley Matthews or Finney, divided the nation. Some preferred Matthews' dribbling skills and others Finney’s all round ability. He was not a big man and had to take some hard tackles in a time when defenders did not take prisoners. However his speed, movement and ability, on the ground and in the air, left defenders bamboozled. A prolific goal scorer, Finney was also great at creating goals for other players: the ideal team man.

Claude Makelele comes in to join Jose Pirri and take up the central midfield spots. Pirri was one of La Liga's greatest players, and showed his leadership qualities from a young age. Tough as nails and a classy player on the ball, he'd provide the boundless work rate up and down the middle of the pitch, supporting the defense and the front two. Makelele's defensive nous would be favoured here with Rivaldo

Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp rekindle their partnership here and look to build on their success. Both brilliant players in their own right, it was their understanding and complementary play styles that elevated both to even greater levels.

TEAM ISOTOPE

A compact 4-4-1-1 with creative players, and excellent (balanced) fullbacks. With vastly superior midfielders, the team will have the majority of the ball; help by the fact that opponent doesn’t have any good playmaker in midfield.
  • Attack has L. Riva, the Italian great center forward, to occupy opponent centerbacks. With R. Kopa and J. Masopust, as two unique playmakers who are comfortable playing wide or narrow, joining Rivaldo behind Riva. The Masopust - Rivaldo - Kopa trio will be too much for Mackay - Pirri to handle.
  • And the opponent does not have player to turn defence into attack, which make their front- two is isolated when defending.
  • P. Vieira’s long ball to counter attack, or his forward surging run to break the deadlock, are his strengths, other than his defensive presence. His partnership with O. Varela is an upgrade to his France’s NT partner(s) where Vieira had immense performance.
  • Santamaria and R. Perfumo, two tough with decent ball playing South America's centerbacks, are guarding P. Shilton. With the team having most ball possession, it opens up channels for two of the best wide fullbacks in M. Kaltz and/or A. Demyanenko to run to.
Kaltz vs Real Madrid.

Last edited:

Skizzo

A few things to touch on before I go

A compact 4-4-1-1 with creative players, and excellent (balanced) fullbacks. With vastly superior midfielders, the team will have the majority of the ball; help by the fact that opponent doesn’t have any good playmaker in midfield.
“vastly superior” depends on what you’re addressing I suppose, and who you’re comparing to who and in what capacity.

Attack has L. Riva, the Italian great center forward, to occupy opponent centerbacks. With R. Kopa and J. Masopust, as two unique playmakers who are comfortable playing wide or narrow, joining Rivaldo behind Riva. The Masopust - Rivaldo - Kopa trio will be too much for Mackay - Pirri to handle.
I don’t see Riva occupying the two center backs to the point of them being overwhelmed. Our defense is certainly better defensively than their opposite numbers facing up against Henry, Bergkamp, Giggs and Finney. I won’t touch on the point about Mackay-Pirri since one of them isn’t playing.

And the opponent does not have player to turn defence into attack, which make their front- two is isolated when defending.
I’m not sure if you mean passing wise or with the ball. Krol at the back is more than capable of starting attacks, and with Burgnich able to tuck in, the lack of a real winger out left means Krol can step out to play the ball with Burgnich tucking to cover. Not to mention Giggs on the ball and Finney’s assists.

Santamaria and R. Perfumo, two tough with decent ball playing South America's centerbacks, are guarding P. Shilton. With the team having most ball possession, it opens up channels for two of the best wide fullbacks in M. Kaltz and/or A. Demyanenko to run to.
I think both would struggle with Henry’s pace and movement, and his understanding with Bergkamp and his ability to drop deeper and open spaces means there’d be chances. And while Shilton isn’t bad by any stretch, it was observed that there were a few things he did…

While Shilton’s minuscule flaws left him fractionally vulnerable when getting up high to his left, where he sacrificed an inch or two of reach by stretching across with his right hand, and down low to his right, close to his body..
Which with Henry’s pinpoint finishes would look to exploit. Small things but can make the all the difference.

Also, if you plan on having most of the ball possession, with Giggs, Henry, Finney, Cole etc…we’d be ruthless on the counter.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Contra Iso, sweeper Krol had excellent passing range so there are no issues transferring from defence into midfield/attack. That said I really think Skizzo needs a proper 9 with aerial threat to get the best out of Giggs and Finney. I think both Skizzo's side would benefit from having Kopa and Masopust on the flank instead. They would link really well with Bergkamp and Henry for a really fluid front 4.

Iso's side is really clean although my big question is how well the CBs will stack up against Henry.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I still don't see how a team can function without a good playmaker to control the team rythm. Bergkamp is more of a Second Striker, and Pirri is never been a playmaker.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Contra Iso, sweeper Krol had excellent passing range so there are no issues transferring from defence into midfield/attack. That said I really think Skizzo needs a proper 9 with aerial threat to get the best out of Giggs and Finney. I think both Skizzo's side would benefit from having Kopa and Masopust on the flank instead. They would link really well with Bergkamp and Henry for a really fluid front 4.

Iso's side is really clean although my big question is how well the CBs will stack up against Henry.
That's true on Krol. Then it becomes predictable to cut channel to him when the attacking fail.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Anyway, good team @Skizzo . I think I've said everything that i can think of about my team and yours ;)

Skizzo

I still don't see how a team can function without a good playmaker to control the team rythm. Bergkamp is more of a Second Striker, and Pirri is never been a playmaker.
That Arsenal side never had a real playmaker from the midfield. Pirri is in the mold of Vieira (although Vieira was a good passer obviously) , and while Giggs is more direct, Finney passing and playmaking from wide have an element of what Pires brought from the other side.

That being said, with Henry, Bergkamp dropped deep in between the lines to help build up the play. Not sure if you watched the video in the OP but it shows a lot of what the movement would be expected to be, especially with Pirri bursting forward.

While an extra “playmaker” type might be useful in the midfield, with the opposition having a more narrow attack, our defense can pinch and Krol can also step into midfield zones to move the ball forward. It’s not a full time position obviously, but each zone on the pitch offers a different Avenue of attack with direct movement down the left with Giggs, Cole, Henry, down the right with Finney linking up with Bergkamp and operating wide, and through the middle with Krol, Pirri, Bergkamp.

The fact that Sir Tom Finney was often regarded as being the sole player of Preston…”Sir Tom and his 10 drips” tells you that he could do it all well enough to the point of being able to make plays when necessary for the team.

Skizzo

While I see the crosses aspect, I don’t think Giggs and Finney would be pumping high balls in. Both would be capable of cut backs as well. Dropping them down to standard wingers who would cross the ball in ignores all the intricate passing and quick one-twos in behind that they would do.

Henry wasn’t bad in the air though either…just ask Ferdinand and Vidic

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
It would be a high-scoring game imho.
On details

Banks(skizzo) is superior to Chilton(Isotope).

Skizzo overall backline is undoubtedly better
than Isotope but not a big margin.

On midfields I think Viera and Valera both of them due to great physicality(in term of height and strength) is a little bit better than Pirri and Makelele,so Isotope>Skizzo.

On wide I slightly choose Masopust and Kopa
because Masopust and Kopa is superior to Sir Tom and Gigs in term of playmaking and their team styles.If you want to choose Gigs and Finley,you would have strikers type like Shearer,Muller,Van Basten or his contemporary like Van Nistelroy. Maspost and Kopa would be easily fit to Riva,Riva was a fast striker that can played 1-2 and Masopust and Kopa was a great through-ball passers,so they would give a lot of through-balls to Riva and Riva run through the defenders and scores easily.

On Forward,I think it's close.So I will not talk to it.

I vote on Isotope although Skizzo defenders and gk is better than Isotope but Isotope offensive has more varieties and options.Masopust+Kopa would give a great ball to Riva and Rivaldo the second-striker is a good passer in his own too and skizzo defense is very-good everyone knows but if Isotope offense cannot pass to them Rivaldo will make some long shots that can decide the game.On skizzo the offenisve is great but I don't think Gigs and Finley would fit most with Henry and your team lack playmaking in midfielders.Only Bergkamp in front is not enough.

@Skizzo
@Isotope

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I cannot post a video but I recommend that there's a clip that Rivera and Riva(playmaker and scorer) worked together very well in wc 70.So,I'm sure that Riva and Kopa would work with Riva well easily.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
what are people thoughts on Makelele in a midfield two? He is comfortably the best as a DM in a midfield three so how would he adapt and did he(surely he did) play in the 2 somewhere?

Skizzo

Gonna be home in a little while. Gonna make a tactical change. Went back and forth on this to start with, so might as well go out on the ol’ proverbial shield.

Skizzo

With Kopa and Masopust typically playing more infield than out and out wingers, we’re gonna push Krol into a hybrid DM/CB depending on the phase of play. We’re gonna squeeze the play centrally defensively and push the wingers high up on the opposition fullbacks to limit their attacking output.

Bergkamp will operate in a second striker role while Pirri will operate in a higher up box-to-box role still. Pushing Finney closer to goal offers his goal threat which carried Preston for years too.

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
With Kopa and Masopust typically playing more infield than out and out wingers, we’re gonna push Krol into a hybrid DM/CB depending on the phase of play. We’re gonna squeeze the play centrally defensively and push the wingers high up on the opposition fullbacks to limit their attacking output.

Bergkamp will operate in a second striker role while Pirri will operate in a higher up box-to-box role still. Pushing Finney closer to goal offers his goal threat which carried Preston for years too.
So,Krol will play like Beckenbauer 66 with more defensive duties(hybrid cb)?....wow!that interesting he can do it really well.Krol is underrated in term of being hard tackler(not Passarella esque)he is very tough when it necessary.

Out of topic....Compare goat cb outside Baresi and Franz which consists of Krol,Elias,Scirea,Moore and Krol

In defensive I would give
1.Elias(playing style's similar to Nesta combine with VVD,for someone who didn't watch him. )

2.Moore(playing style's similar to Rio)
3.Scirea(playing style's maybe similar to Hansen with a less brutal/Baresi,in modern terms very hard to discuss but I think he can be super super upgrade on John Stones.)
4.Krol(playing style's similar to Thiago Silva)
5.Passarella(playing style's similar to Ramos but he is Ramos in sweeper's role.Not tall for defender but great header and both are tough and dirty too.The most important thing both are leaders if the team.)

I'm compare to modern defenders to someone that watch this thread and doesn't know or watch old-greats.

In term of attacking 1.Passarella
2.Scirea
3.Krol
4.Moore
5.Figueroa

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The need for a "playmaker" in 4-4-2 is overrated. We played most important games with Keane/Butt there and Arsenal has Vieira/Silva there. It certainly helps but not really mandatory. I'd say Pirri has sufficient passing range and creativity to do a good job there.

Also I don't really buy Masopust and Kopa as wide players. Kopa at least has played there but it's not really his peak position and Masopust has always been a left footed CM. Both can operate out wide, but I wouldn't call either as "comfortable" there.

Just when I was bit the bullet and vote for Skizzo, he changes the damn formation!

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
what are people thoughts on Makelele in a midfield two? He is comfortably the best as a DM in a midfield three so how would he adapt and did he(surely he did) play in the 2 somewhere?
I don't recall that being a good 3 in midfield. It's usually him holding the D and other 2 in attack. I'd say Pirri here is a better partner than most teams he's played with in real life!

Skizzo

The need for a "playmaker" in 4-4-2 is overrated. We played most important games with Keane/Butt there and Arsenal has Vieira/Silva there. It certainly helps but not really mandatory. I'd say Pirri has sufficient passing range and creativity to do a good job there.

Also I don't really buy Masopust and Kopa as wide players. Kopa at least has played there but it's not really his peak position and Masopust has always been a left footed CM. Both can operate out wide, but I wouldn't call either as "comfortable" there.

Just when I was bit the bullet and vote for Skizzo, he changes the damn formation!
:lol:

I agree with you on not needing a designated playmaker. Especially with a second striker and two wingers.

I went back and forth with the two formations to start with, and with the ball I expect us to look similar to the current set up…without the ball Krol can drop in and we have a back four with Makelele and Pirri in front. Giggs and Finney both were two way players as well so can put in a shift defensively when not pressing the full backs.

Im not gonna argue the best of both worlds though because I think that would be kinda cheap, but with this little shuffle I think it puts us back on the front foot.

Skizzo

So,Krol will play like Beckenbauer 66 with more defensive duties(hybrid cb)?....wow!that interesting he can do it really well.Krol is underrated in term of being hard tackler(not Passarella esque)he is very tough when it necessary.

Out of topic....Compare goat cb outside Baresi and Franz which consists of Krol,Elias,Scirea,Moore and Krol

In defensive I would give
1.Elias(playing style's similar to Nesta combine with VVD,for someone who didn't watch him. )

2.Moore(playing style's similar to Rio)
3.Scirea(playing style's maybe similar to Hansen with a less brutal/Baresi,in modern terms very hard to discuss but I think he can be super super upgrade on John Stones.)
4.Krol(playing style's similar to Thiago Silva)
5.Passarella(playing style's similar to Ramos but he is Ramos in sweeper's role.Not tall for defender but great header and both are tough and dirty too.The most important thing both are leaders if the team.)

I'm compare to modern defenders to someone that watch this thread and doesn't know or watch old-greats.

In term of attacking 1.Passarella
2.Scirea
3.Krol
4.Moore
5.Figueroa
Yeah he would be setup a little further forward since there’s just Riva up top. When we’re in prolonged defensive phases, Krol could drop into a back 4 with Makelele and Pirri shielding in front…and when we have the ball he’d look to step forward and help impact the game more offensively.

Šjor Bepo

I don't recall that being a good 3 in midfield. It's usually him holding the D and other 2 in attack. I'd say Pirri here is a better partner than most teams he's played with in real life!
going purely with memory so might be wrong by a mile but didnt he play alongside Lampard and Essien? Around that time there were Mikel, Ballack, Meireles(or was that later?), Deco, Diarra etc. We can argue quality past Lamps and Essien but they can all form a balanced trio.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Not optimal for me. Then again I don't think it is optimal to play all mighty Varela there as well. Tbh, I don't quite like both midfield two's in isolation.

But, Skizzo team made far more sense overall because Arsenal used mostly their wings in transition and I can see Pirri doing quite well in a light Vieira role as a b2b. Especially because both Giggs and Finney were more playmaking wingers and liked to link up and pass, so mentioned lack of crossing is not an issue for me at all. That was never their main game and they fit beautifully with Bergkamp/Henry. Add a more expansive and better passing b2b and it is a brilliant team all around, one of my favorite here.

On Iso side I like front two, Masopust role and fullbacks (would like probably Kopa a bit further forward as a pure RW).

All in all, I thought Skizzo looked better tbh (adding Finney and Giggs to Bergkamp/Henry is just :drool:), so kill me if I understand the tactical change. You don't won't Forster on the ball in the back 3 being pressured by Riva and am not sure you won't Pirri so far up. A bit confused now.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
What a curve ball with that new formation, Skizzo. This is just a modified formation of 4-4-2 when on attack. Unless that's your team position even when defending?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Not optimal for me. Then again I don't think it is optimal to play all mighty Varela there as well. Tbh, I don't quite like both midfield two's in isolation.

But, Skizzo team made far more sense overall because Arsenal used mostly their wings in transition and I can see Pirri doing quite well in a light Vieira role as a b2b. Especially because both Giggs and Finney were more playmaking wingers and liked to link up and pass, so mentioned lack of crossing is not an issue for me at all. That was never their main game and they fit beautifully with Bergkamp/Henry. Add a more expansive and better passing b2b and it is a brilliant team all around, one of my favorite here.

On Iso side I like front two, Masopust role and fullbacks (would like probably Kopa a bit further forward as a pure RW).

All in all, I thought Skizzo looked better tbh (adding Finney and Giggs to Bergkamp/Henry is just :drool:), so kill me if I understand the tactical change. You don't won't Forster on the ball in the back 3 being pressured by Riva and am not sure you won't Pirri so far up. A bit confused now.
I don't see how Pirri is even close to Vieira's playmaking. He's never done that in his whole career, if I'm not wrong. So how do you control your team's rhythm if you don't have a playmaker? Vieira, like Keane, is a good playmaker B2B.

Skizzo

What a curve ball with that new formation, Skizzo. This is just a modified formation of 4-4-2 when on attack. Unless that's your team position even when defending?
Just the attack shape to show how it would look. Defensively Krol still drops in to make it a back four. Won’t play any differently to the original 442 in terms of using the wings and Bergkamp, but was trying to highlight how Krol and Pirri would be operating.

probably over complicated it though it seems :lol:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I don't see how Pirri is even close to Vieira's playmaking. He's never done that in his whole career, if I'm not wrong. So how do you control your team's rhythm if you don't have a playmaker? Vieira, like Keane, is a good playmaker B2B.
I did write "light Vieira"... Pirri from what I remember was really good at breaking the lines and was actually a very good passer (both short and long passing). And that is exactly what would be required of him here.
Actually, with him being great in the defensive phase also, I think he would do really well in that role as you don't necessarily need someone to dictate the game considering Berkgamp, Finney, Giggs, even Henry all being in the team. The more I think writing "light Vieira" would be a disservice to him as a player. He fits the bill here imo.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It would be a high-scoring game imho.
On details

Banks(skizzo) is superior to Chilton(Isotope).

Skizzo overall backline is undoubtedly better
than Isotope but not a big margin.

On midfields I think Viera and Valera both of them due to great physicality(in term of height and strength) is a little bit better than Pirri and Makelele,so Isotope>Skizzo.

On wide I slightly choose Masopust and Kopa
because Masopust and Kopa is superior to Sir Tom and Gigs in term of playmaking and their team styles.If you want to choose Gigs and Finley,you would have strikers type like Shearer,Muller,Van Basten or his contemporary like Van Nistelroy. Maspost and Kopa would be easily fit to Riva,Riva was a fast striker that can played 1-2 and Masopust and Kopa was a great through-ball passers,so they would give a lot of through-balls to Riva and Riva run through the defenders and scores easily.

On Forward,I think it's close.So I will not talk to it.

I vote on Isotope although Skizzo defenders and gk is better than Isotope but Isotope offensive has more varieties and options.Masopust+Kopa would give a great ball to Riva and Rivaldo the second-striker is a good passer in his own too and skizzo defense is very-good everyone knows but if Isotope offense cannot pass to them Rivaldo will make some long shots that can decide the game.On skizzo the offenisve is great but I don't think Gigs and Finley would fit most with Henry and your team lack playmaking in midfielders.Only Bergkamp in front is not enough.

@Skizzo
@Isotope
Appreciate your reasoning, GE. Rivaldo is my first pick, but it seems like i need to sell him more. A complete attacking player that, imho, best player on the pitch.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I did write "light Vieira"... Pirri from what I remember was really good at breaking the lines and was actually a very good passer (both short and long passing). And that is exactly what would be required of him here.
Actually, with him being great in the defensive phase also, I think he would do really well in that role as you don't necessarily need someone to dictate the game considering Berkgamp, Finney, Giggs, even Henry all being in the team. The more I think writing "light Vieira" would be a disservice to him as a player. He fits the bill here imo.
This is probably true. But I won't admit it though.

Šjor Bepo

Appreciate your reasoning, GE. Rivaldo is my first pick, but it seems like i need to sell him more. A complete attacking player that, imho, best player on the pitch.
brilliant player but im not even sure if he is the best one in your team :D

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Kopa, seriously underrated player.
not for me. I've had him in 3-4 drafts already. Here maybe not in position as free as he like, but it's close enough (much better than his at Real Madrid one as far right attacker, imho).

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Skizzo would have won my vote with the original setup. Not sure why he changed the setup. The original setup was a thing of beauty, the WM looks a bit odd with some of those players.

I don't see the need for a aerial No. 9 in the original setup to be honest. Young Giggs and Finney were both capable of getting the best out of any kind of No. 9. Way too versatile in their games with everything in their locker and not just crossing.

Isotope's team is very good as well, but surely is the second best 4411 on offering. Wins my vote here but ideally, the other 4411 should have. i would drop one of Masopust or Kopa there though and get a genuine winger. Demyanenko and Kaltz are perfect for the setup, but the team hardly needs 3 centrally dominant advanced midfielders.

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

Pirri is almost the perfect player for that setup. Offers just enough creativity from midfield to support Bergkamp. Perfect B2B foil for the DM Makelele. I can see his goal scoring B2B role unleashed here to the maximum. Even played Libero at the end of his career, so playmaking should not be an issue here, especially with Krol spraying from in behind as well and Finney dropping deep enough in his usual gig.

GodShaveTheQueen

I think in this midfield 2 alongside Giggs and Finney, he is pretty fine. The choice of wingers is really good for everyone else which is why I am surprised with the change in formation. Makelele's passing was fairly decent for a destroyer as well. Also a good foil to cover when Krol tries to burst forward.

I wouldn't call it a 2 man midfield obviously, but Makelele did play in a double pivot alongside Vieira in 2006 WC pretty well.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The tactical change made the choice easier. Seems like one of those Pep-esque overcomplications that he suffers from in the later stages of CL (I’m prone to those as well).

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think he'd be fine. As in he's excelled in 3 and 2-man units, at Real and France moreso. Although I'm not sure the new shape suits him as there's quite a big burden on him and Burgnich to be responsible for build-up down Skizzo's right flank.

Henry will cause that defence problems. Tactically Iso looks cleaner and I can see Masopust and Kopa occupying the inside left/right channels naturally, while Demyanenko and Kaltz overlap. And you can see the ease in which they could slide into a 433, with Masopust dropping to LCM, Kopa inching forwards and Rivaldo pulling left. It all looks quite smooth.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Love that chalkboard depiction @Isotope I think I did that once and it was my favorite style by far. It pops!