Quaranteam Draft - R1: Himannv vs Skizzo

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs
................................................ TEAM HIMANNV ...................................................................................................... TEAM SKIZZO ........................................................

Team Himannv:

4-4-2

Team Skizzo:

Formation - 442

In goal is Gordan Banks. World Cup Winner, and producer of perhaps the finest save we've ever witnessed. Pele so sure of the ball finding the back of the net after it left his head, he yelled out "goal" before witnessing Banks fly across his goal and flick it away. Considered one of the best of all time.

At left back is Ashley Cole. At one time considered the best left back in the world, his attacking prowess was shown at Arsenal as he often got forward and provided another outlet. Once he moved on to Chelsea, he showed off his defensive game as Mourinho left his mark. One of the few players who can say he performed well consistently against two of the best players of his generation, Ronaldo and Messi.

At right back is Tarcisio Burgnich, The Rock. Defense first on this side up against Fachetti and Nedved. Behind a winger who can create and link up on his own without a fullback, Burgnich will be focused on keeping the defense tight.

The center back pairing is made up of Ruud Krol and Karl-Heinz Forster. Krol being the classy ball-player that he was, and Forster being the no-nonsense defender, the pairing complement each other well. Both tough, physically imposing players, Krol would provide a outlet from the back to the move the ball forward.

Ryan Giggs takes up his spot on the left of midfield. Personal life aside, almost every United fan loves Giggs for his dynamic approach, running down opposition defenders and his speed, quick feet, and dribbling. A mainstay on United's left flank for years, he showed his ability by adapting his game and mastering another position entirely

Sir Tom Finney mans the right flank. Twice voted Footballer of The Year in the 1950s, the debate on who was the best footballer between Blackpool's Stanley Matthews or Finney, divided the nation. Some preferred Matthews' dribbling skills and others Finney’s all round ability. He was not a big man and had to take some hard tackles in a time when defenders did not take prisoners. However his speed, movement and ability, on the ground and in the air, left defenders bamboozled. A prolific goal scorer, Finney was also great at creating goals for other players: the ideal team man.

Jose Pirri and Dave Mckay take up the central midfield spots. Pirri was one of La Liga's greatest players, and showed his leadership qualities from a young age. Tough as nails and a classy player on the ball, he'd provide the boundless work rate up and down the middle of the pitch, supporting the defense and the front two. Mackay was one of the finest central midfielders during his time of playing, with Eusebio of all people leaving a glowing review. Mackay and Pirri both found ways to elevate their teammates and drive them on to greater heights.

Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp rekindle their partnership here and look to build on their success. Both brilliant players in their own right, it was their understanding and complementary play styles that elevated both to even greater levels.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
A true 4-4-2. It's back!!

Himmanv has creative players in midfield, with superb fullbacks. This massively limit Skizzo's main supply, which is from both wingers.

Skizzo

A true 4-4-2. It's back!!

Himmanv has creative players in midfield, with superb fullbacks. This massively limit Skizzo's main supply, which is from both wingers.
That makes it sound like we’re reliant on the wingers. While both wingers are obviously gonna look to create, Henry had the premier league assist record for a season with 20.

Just in their time in the Premier League alone, Henry and Bergkamp racked up 74 and 94 assists each. A lot of their game was working channels and drifting deep and wide to open space…and I don’t see Hulshoff and Carvalho as well equipped to stop that threat.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I feel like this is one of the games where a small advantage in otherwise almost equal teams can turn it into a one-sided vote even though in reality it’s almost a coin-toss between the two. Still, went for the one that has that marginal advantage in my eyes — the amount of impressive games of Mackay that I’ve seen over the last couple of months certainly made that choice easier.

Skizzo

I feel like this is one of the games where a small advantage in otherwise almost equal teams can turn it into a one-sided vote even though in reality it’s almost a coin-toss between the two. Still, went for the one that has that marginal advantage in my eyes — the amount of impressive games of Mackay that I’ve seen over the last couple of months certainly made that choice easier.
He was definitely someone I hadn’t considered for a spot until I started digging and seeing what i could come across on the travels through Europe. @Gio obviously has a good few posts on his quality and while my midfield two certainly aren’t as “flashy” as Himann’s, I don’t think they’d be outclassed.

I am a big fan of his midfield all the way across though, and they’d definitely all put in a shift.

Enigma_87

You know who
Love both teams. Fantastic work to bring in two complimentary 4-4-2's.

I look at Himann's team then Skizzo's and looks like a deadlock in terms of both quality and style.

Then I look for individual players who will get in each other teams:

-----------------Bergkamp -- Henry

Nedved -- Tardelli -- Schweini -- Finney

Facchetti -- Krol -- Forster -- Amoros

looks dead even again. :lol:

Skizzo's team is different in a sense that it looks like prime Arsenal (naturally has couple of key players) and has most of the creativity coming from Bergkamp/Henry and to an extend Pirri who is a nice like to like replacement of Vieira.

Contrary to that Himan's creativity comes from the wings and center of midfield with two typical goalscorers to convert those chances.

At this point I'm leaning just about to Himann because of what @Isotope mentioned and given the mechanics of the two teams Himann's team might negate a bit Skizzo's creativity from deep.

Did Finney played against Facchetti? Could be a key battle considering the mouthwatering right flank Himannv has.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He was definitely someone I hadn’t considered for a spot until I started digging and seeing what i could come across on the travels through Europe. @Gio obviously has a good few posts on his quality and while my midfield two certainly aren’t as “flashy” as Himann’s, I don’t think they’d be outclassed.

I am a big fan of his midfield all the way across though, and they’d definitely all put in a shift.
I think that I’ve shared my admiration in convos, not on the main forum, but he was imperious in those Spurs - Man Utd games from the 60’s that I’ve seen while doing Best’ compilation, often outperforming everyone else on the pitch.

Even in a game for Derby, 36 years old and visibly overweight, he still put in a brilliant performance (I’m not sure on the numbers, but I think it was a free kick goal, an assist and a couple of fantastic tackles).

A Derby player that commented that game (4:4 from 1970) alongside Charlton said that when he signed for them they all looked, well, doubtful, but Clough said they should consider themselves lucky to even train next to a player like Mackay.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That makes it sound like we’re reliant on the wingers. While both wingers are obviously gonna look to create, Henry had the premier league assist record for a season with 20.

Just in their time in the Premier League alone, Henry and Bergkamp racked up 74 and 94 assists each. A lot of their game was working channels and drifting deep and wide to open space…and I don’t see Hulshoff and Carvalho as well equipped to stop that threat.
True. You have superior forwards and CBs, and possibly Gk, too, but no playmaker(-ish). I just see limited supply to both forward. Or maybe I just underestimate Pirri, who's (as far as I know) more of B2B. I think Blanchflower was the main creative one, instead of Mackay, in that Spurs team.

But it seems like I'm in the minority here. So you have better vision, man.

Last edited:

Skizzo

True. You have superior forwards and CBs, and possibly Gk, too, but no playmaker(-ish). I just see limited supply to both forward. Or maybe I just underestimate Pirri, who's (as far as I know) more of B2B. I think Blanchflower was the main creative one, instead of Mackay, in that Spurs team.

But it seems like I'm in the minority here. So you have better vision, man.
Id agree that comparing the 4 midfielders on both teams that Himann probably has a superior unit, I don’t want to downplay their ability at all. I do believe we have a more versatile way to attack the game though. We have the wings, Pirri and Mackay can both create, but Henry and Bergkamp can both be a force offensively both individually and as a duo. Plus with Krol and Cole at the back, we have outlets should we need to recycle backwards and start again.

Appreciate your input either way though :)

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Really good 442s from both sides but Skizzo's I think would be better, and I know this sounds odd, but replacing Henry with Crespo. With Giggs and Finney on the wings you really want a good aerial target. Giggs won't give you that interplay that Pires had with Henry. Another option would of course be Nedved for Giggs.

I do though very much like Krol with Forster at CB, Krol would be a great outlet for the counter

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Brutal to separate. Didn’t think I could vote against Himmanv’s impeccable 4-4-2. It’s unfortunate that the only thing approaching a chink is the centre-half partnership and hence Henry looks a potential match winner here.

Skizzo

Wow, bit of a trouncing in the end.

Good luck in the next round, Skizzo.
the score definitely doesn’t reflect the difference in the teams. Fine margins add up with the votes but I don’t think anyone thought it would be a landslide realistically. I certainly wouldn’t paint it as one sided in reality.

cheers!