Quaranteam Draft R1: Zlatan7 vs General Elegancia

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

.......................................................... TEAM ZLATAN ..................................................................................................... TEAM GENERAL ELEGANCIA ...........................................................

Team Zlatan

It’s been a while since I’ve done a draft and I struggled putting this together, I had no Plan but just went where the wind carried the virus hopping on a plane now and again just because I could. I enjoyed the format.

Also, in all honesty I don’t know enough about a lot of the generals team so can’t work out how he will set up or how to counter it, I have seen that he’s been just as pissed as me at times through the build so hopefully he’ll have a few cans before he puts his team into shape too.

I’ve gone for a fairly standard 4-1-4-1, mainly because I hate playing 4231 but the players were naturally falling into that shape.

Recoba will be my diamond in the rough, bit of a free role in midfield to drop and carry or stay high/wide wherever to pick the ball up and go on some attacking runs, salas pulling the defence away and be a general handful, ribery and bale quite self explanatory wide forwards who can get to the byline or cut in and shoot and would both be making constant runs in behind.

Simeone in a box to box role doing as much mopping up as possible with Dunga sat deep protecting the defence.

I was quite lucky being dropped Cannavaro, think him and Hierro would be a decent pairing at the back and compliment each other well. Either side of those 2 attacking fullbacks full of energy and grit, could be a feisty game.

Jennings in goal if all else fails.

Team General Elegancia

My team is inspired by 3of them 1.total football 1974 2.the directness of Real Madrid(2016-2018) 3.JK LIverpool

playing style: -possession football but more direct and fast in midfields and attacks
-high line defense
-high pressing team due to great stamina in all of my midfields
-counter attack by Mbappe and Neymar

Goalkeeper: Amadeo Carrizo-the pioneer of sweeper-keeping skills.He had great ball-skills too so it would be fit in my high-line system.Carrizo biggest strength was reflex and jump but also a great commander in the box and reading the game.

Defense:My defense is lead by Virgil Van Dijk one of the best defenders of his time(maybe in all time when it comes to peak).Virgil in his peak is near to perfection,he can defense against all types of strikers.You can't outjump him,outpace and outmuscle him.He transforms Liverpool backline from a medicore to one of the best in Europe.And the most important skills that I choose him because he has great ball skills and long pass accuracy that would be fit in high defensive line.

His partner in this game is Alessandro Costacurta.He is fit to Van Dijk due to his stopper role and he is a natural right center-back too.Although he was slow but that's not the problem becuase he had great defensive techniques and he played with Baresi and Milan late80s that everyone knows it was a high defensive line too.

My 2 sides full back would be an overlapping full-backs with great ball skills and Junior and J.L.Leandre fit my type correctly both in playing-days were attacking-first type with great overlapping-skills.Both were great passers and dribblers.Defensive was not both off them strengths but both of them were not liability too.In this game both main duties are support my left and right wing forwards(Neymar and Mbappe) and overlapping to help attack.

Midfields:My midfielders are not the type that most fit in possesion football despite in this game I play with possesion football.De Bryune in this game will be the mix of 8 and 10(that is his real life),he is the main creativity thread in my team and he will be help a lot in defense and pressing too.Ocwirk was one of the best midfielders ever,he was a complete midfielder who can play many positions due to his versatility.He will be central-midfielders in this game who will provide attacks and defenses in balance mode.On attacks he will cooperate De Bryune with long passes to high speed wingers like Mbappe and Neymar and on defense he will help a lot by pressing and track the ball back.Rainer Bonhoff in this game will be defensive midfielder,he will cover J.L.Andrade when J.L.Leandre comes to attack-mode and that's not the problem because he can play in rb and lb too.

Ocwirk's special role:I would put in Pogba France2018 role.Play in attacks in defese and the most important thing is he will provide a lot of long passes to my wingers(Neymar and Mbappe) like Pogba do it to Mbappe a lot of times.He will be my upgrade Pogba.

My midfielders keywords: All of them have great stamina to play in pressing game.
-All of them are great passers(especially De Bryune and Ocwirk)
-All of them have great mentailty to fight for the ball back.
-All of them have great-long shots with powers(espically Bonhof and De Bryune).
-Al of them fit in the role that fit most.

Attacks:My inspiration is from Dutch74 team that played with 3 front palyers and 1 false-nine.
Fritz Walter in this game will play in false9 role.He will drop deep in midfield and will provide a service to Neymar and Mbappe.And in scoring it's not the problem becuase he scored 357 goals in 364 goals,so he can plays this role perfectly .And Walter and Neymar combo is like Messi and Neymar combo that Messi passed cut-back to Neymar and Neymar ran through the back and scored easily .

Neymar in this game will be a complete-attackers.He will do his things dribbling,passing,playmaking and scoring.His scoring records in real life are excellent and his playing-styles would be fit in this role because when you have Walter in f9 your one-side of forward should be more of provider and he is it.He will be support in attacks by Junior

Mbappe in this game in my tactics he will be main scoring thread.His main strengths will use perfectly running cut back,shooting,dribbling.He have a lot of service by De Bryune,Ocwirk,Neymar,Walter and even Van Dijk all of them that I mentioned will provide great long passes that he can run constantly,a lot of special passes from De-Bryune,through balls from Neymar and Walter and long passes from Ocwirk.So,I hope he will score a lot for my team.He will be supported in attacks by J.L.Leandre who is another great passers too.

My team conclusion:Right man in the right choice-all of them in my team are fit in the role that they fit the most.
-Versatility from my players are in god levels they can play many positions.So, they can swap position easily.
Bonhof-cdm/rb/lb
Ocwirk-cdm/cm/lb and rb
KDB-F9/cm/cam/f9
Junior-cmf/cam/lb/lwb/lw
J.L.Leandre-rw/cmf/rb/rwb
Neymar-lw/cam/f9
Walter-cam/inside forwards/f9
Mbappe-striker/lw/rw
Costacurta-cb/rb/sweeper
-A lot of them have leadership and mentality
-Walter,Mbappe,Bonhof and J.L.Leandre are world champions.Oh.....4 world cups in my team and If you include Costacurta,you will have 5 players that played in finals WC
-All of my players have some awards with national teams.If you confuse VVD,he had runner ups Nations-League.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Ok, I just realised I was looking at michaelf’s team before this match not the generals, just seen his line up and was thinking I can’t remember seeing neymar and mbappe when I looked who I was playing :lol:

all the best @General_Elegancia

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Busy at the moment, I’ll have a read of your setup later and make some comments, initial thoughts were that both teams looked fairly similar in setup

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Zlatans team despite the formation graphic would most certainly operate as a 4231 or 433 with Simeone in there.

TheReligion

Abusive
Initial thoughts @Zlatan 7

Not sure how I feel about Leonardo at left back. My better memories of him are as a flying forward so I'm interested to know the rationale in what he's bringing in that position and how he hold up defensively?

I also think that Simeone needs to be playing as double 6 with Dunga given you are playing Recoba centrally. Recoba was often deployed as a CF or SS and would certainly not offer much in the centre of the pitch with regards to defensive work. As it looks layed out currently Dunga simply has too much to do in the defensive phases.

A classic 442 (double 6) with Recoba as SS behind Salas would have been my preferred approach.

Interested to know your thoughts.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I also think that Simeone needs to be playing as double 6 with Dunga given you are playing Recoba centrally. Recoba was often deployed as a CF or SS and would certainly not offer much in the centre of the pitch with regards to defensive work. As it looks layed out currently Dunga simply has too much to do in the defensive phases.

A classic 442 (double 6) with Recoba as SS behind Salas would have been my preferred approach.

Yeah, it's definitely a 4231/4411 not a 4141

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I think @Zlatan 7 weakest point is Leonardo.He is not a natural defender and in this game he would fight against Mbappe(one of the best winger/forward)and J.L.Leandre,Is that too much for him?

Dunga can't helps him everytime cause he has a task to defense my midfield.

Salas against peak VVD and Billy is gonna be mismatch too.He is a good striker everyone knows but coming against VVD and Billy is one of the hardest things that he would ever faced in his life.

And playing f9 that mean I drag Cannavaro(stopper) out of position,so Hierro must have a hard-time to cover everything and Hierro despite he is a good defender.In my opinion he doesn't have quickness to cover speedy like Neymar and Mbappe.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
On the flip side I prefer Hierro and Cannavaro to VVD (who I think it's prematurely overrated by @General_Elegancia ) and Costacurta. I love Costacurta though but feel the former are a better pair.

I think my own personal preference is to see the legends so in that regard I like the picks of @Zlatan 7 and enjoy this more than contemporary players. Neymar can be inconsistent and Mbappe still developing as shown in the Euros. Ribery was proven brilliance of a prolonged period and Salas pretty much unplayable in his prime. I also really like Dunga and Simeone I just wish that they were a double 6.

Interesting battle. Recoba could be inconsistent himself to be honest looking at it and Bales recent career could distort his peak.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

Not sure how I feel about Leonardo at left back. My better memories of him are as a flying forward so I'm interested to know the rationale in what he's bringing in that position and how he hold up defensively?

Fully agree with both you and peanut. Simeone would be behind Recoba more helping Dunga, I think I hinted at it in the graphic. It should have been 4231 I just find that so boring to look at. My initial plan was 442, it’s my favourite. Honestly don’t know why I went 4141 in the end, probably just because I haven’t done it before.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Didn’t leonardo start his career as a left back and then gradually move into positions further up the field?
He would have had defensive nous even he was an attacking threat, I agree he’s not ideal as a left back though, and although mbappe shows quality, he’s also shown how he can go missing quite often, it’s not as if he’d be battering down the right, it would just be a case of stopping that one moment where he can produce.

As for Salas, I think he’d give Virgil and costacurta the run around, he certainly wouldn’t be shut down by them and would occupy them enough to let Recoba waltz through

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Yeah He started a career as full-back but in later he adapted himself to cam.
Even when he played as full-back,his defensive qualities didn't impress me.He was more of attacking-minded.
If you use him in lb version,I still doubt that he will struggle against Mbappe and J.L.Leandre(who in his own was not natural defender but had an incomparable technique and dribbling from side-back and I doubt 100 percent,he was better defender than Leonardo.).

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
So many arrows on the generals pic it’d be like a bunch of granny greys aimlessly running around, trying to cover every part of the pitch

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
My forwards would have a field day in behind all those running arrows everywhere.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@General_Elegancia Have you got any more on Fritz Walter? I'm a little sceptical if he'd like to start so far forward.

Also could you give me an idea of what the side looks like when Bonhof goes to RB? I'm trying to visualise the shape

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
@General_Elegancia Have you got any more on Fritz Walter? I'm a little sceptical if he'd like to start so far forward.

Also could you give me an idea of what the side looks like when Bonhof goes to RB? I'm trying to visualise the shape
The reason why I choose Bonhof is his versatility.You know that he can plays so many positions like rb/lb/cmf/dm and he did well in both he was selected as WorldSoccer XI in 75 as full-back and in 77 as midfielders.Bonhoff role in this game will be defensive midfielder who must cover my offensive-full backs like Junior and J.L.Leandre and I think he can do that without problem another reason is he has great long-shots so when my game can't full inside the box my midfielders including him will take long-shots to elimunate them(Canna and Hierro are not easy to get inside).

Fritz....In his early he played as inside forward that had combined between playmaking and scoring.....later he adapted to full time playmaker Fritz was like Diego Maradona scenerios.
Fritz goalscoring records was so impressive.....so I haven't see a problem if he plays in this game as false9 who drop deep to midfield and organizing the game.

And I choose Bonhof in this game because my full-backs are so attacking-mind.So both of them need a lot of covers when they run to defense too late.

Oh...Bonhof case....I have seen a lot of Bonhof positions in other drafts.Some were cm,dm and rb maybe sometimes he was chosen as lb.

Last edited:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Got some more resistance in midfield now to free up Recoba a bit more and take the false 9 out of the game

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
The reason why I choose Bonhof is his versatility.You know that he can plays so many positions like rb/lb/cmf/dm and he did well in both he was selected as WorldSoccer XI in 75 as full-back and in 77 as midfielders.Bonhoff role in this game will be defensive midfielder who must cover my offensive-full backs like Junior and J.L.Leandre and I think he can do that without problem another reason is he has great long-shots so when my game can't full inside the box my midfielders including him will take long-shots to elimunate them(Canna and Hierro are not easy to get inside).

Fritz....In his early he played as inside forward that had combined between playmaking and scoring.....later he adapted to full time playmaker Fritz was like Diego Maradona scenerios.
Fritz goalscoring records was so impressive.....so I haven't see a problem if he plays in this game as false9 who drop deep to midfield and organizing the game.

And I choose Bonhof in this game because my full-backs are so attacking-mind.So both of them need a lot of covers when they run to defense too late.

Oh...Bonhof case....I have seen a lot of Bonhof positions in other drafts.Some were cm,dm and rb maybe sometimes he was chosen as lb.
Thanks for the info. So does Bonhof always go to either LB or RB when Junior or Andrade goes forward so it's always a back 4 with the ball?

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Thanks for the info. So does Bonhof always go to either LB or RB when Junior or Andrade goes forward so it's always a back 4 with the ball?
You know it's like when Baresi attacked....Rijkard covered perfectly(different is both of ACM full-backs were defensive minded sometimes they covered too.)
or when aggresive Passarella attacked....his dm sometimes would covered it.

VVD isn't type of attacking cb like Franz,Daniel or even Scirea so I pick attacking full-backs to support midfielders and attackers.
Billy too...a lot of times he covered Baresi when he attacked(or even Maldini when he attacked too).
My full backs isn't great in defense so Bonhof,Virgil on left side and Billy must cover and take care it(Ribery and Bale aren't easy to deal too).

I'm newbies so I've only 5 remaining posts.
The reason why I don't use him.....Edwards is better than Bonhof sure.
But I'm thinking about next round that some players may have been ban(I don't know rule so much) and probably if I choose him in this round....I'm not sure next round someone will ban him.
I use him 100 percents.....If I can go to next round.
@Isotope

Last edited:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Side looks much more balanced now Physio.

@General_Elegancia would you expect both full backs to push up and support the attack or just the one with the ball on his side of the pitch? And during controlled possession would both go high and wide to provide the width?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I love the alcohol-inspired picks in Zlatan’s attack there. The sort of guys who’d feck your shit up on their day. Question is could you back Salas, Recoba and Bale to consistently deliver, with Ribery being thr only solid 7/10 player every week over a 3-5 year period. Solid square of death in the middle axis there too likely to shut out Walter.

Lovely balance in GE’s team and all the units of the team come together very neatly. Cracking draft debut.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Why is physio being caled Zlatan in his thread and I’m being called physio in this one. Im
Not even that drunk tonight, I didn’t think so anyway

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I love the alcohol-inspired picks in Zlatan’s attack there. The sort of guys who’d feck your shit up on their day. Question is could you back Salas, Recoba and Bale to consistently deliver, with Ribery being thr only solid 7/10 player every week over a 3-5 year period. Solid square of death in the middle axis there too likely to shut out Walter.

Lovely balance in GE’s team and all the units of the team come together very neatly. Cracking draft debut.
Oh it’s their day Gio, even if it’s just for one round, it’s their day haha

I agree though, as good as my players could be, they did lack consistency in their careers. We’re not in a league draft though :)

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I would consider Recoba on the right as creative forward/winger, and Bale as free role behind striker as that's his best position, imho. So this could be similar to Brazil 1994.

I don't have problem with Fritz's position here, although that might not be his optimal role. Neymar and Mbappe often operate as the two strikers/forwards by themselves. Nicely balanced team.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm newbies so I've only 5 remaining posts.
The reason why I don't use him.....Edwards is better than Bonhof sure.
But I'm thinking about next round that some players may have been ban(I don't know rule so much) and probably if I choose him in this round....I'm not sure next round someone will ban him.
I use him 100 percents.....If I can go to next round.
@Isotope
:lol: sure, fellow "newbie".

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@General_Elegancia
Good to have a new joiner here :)

I think he played several times as a left-back for Brazil especially in 1993/94 but his best role was left-midfielder.

Here, I would classify him as a hard-working left-back but have to say it would difficult for him to contain the explosive Mbappe like in the real life as a sporting director struggling to make his renew his contract at PSG.

On the other hand, Ribery is certainly the most disciplined lateral midfielder on the pitch.

@Zlatan 7 kudos for trying something different with Recoba as a second striker

TheReligion

Abusive
I've gone with @Zlatan 7 following the tactical changes as feel Dunga, Simeone, Hierro and Cannavaro would be very tough to beat through the middle.

Neymar and Mbappe would need to do most of the work in wide areas however they are both looking to cut inside. Appreciate the full backs will be overlapping but still, I don't see much joy given the core of Zs team.

It would be a tight game and a moment from Ribery will swing it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I've gone with @Zlatan 7 following the tactical changes as feel Dunga, Simeone, Hierro and Cannavaro would be very tough to beat through the middle.

Neymar and Mbappe would need to do most of the work in wide areas however they are both looking to cut inside. Appreciate the full backs will be overlapping but still, I don't see much joy given the core of Zs team.

It would be a tight game and a moment from Ribery will swing it.
I agree

there’s no way my team loses this, it’s just stronger.

nice of the 10 who voted against to say why :)

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Thanks for the game general. All the best in the next round