Quiet Old Trafford

RedMilo

I don't get to old Trafford every game but have been six times so far this season and have to say been really disappointed with the atmosphere. Me and my lad where stood up in south stand during a recent europa league game and was told to sit down by the guy behind. When I explained to him that we were standing up trying to create atmosphere he looked at me gone out ffs. I am aware of singing section but can anyone think of any ways to get OT rocking?

Rory 7

I don't get to old Trafford every game but have been six times so far this season and have to say been really disappointed with the atmosphere. Me and my lad where stood up in south stand during a recent europa league game and was told to sit down by the guy behind. When I explained to him that we were standing up trying to create atmosphere he looked at me gone out ffs. I am aware of singing section but can anyone think of any ways to get OT rocking?
Standing in the South Stand ain't going to help.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Could all try clapping or something?

Ballache

Supports
Martial
South Stand is shit. West is the best atmosphere but even that can dissapoint, you want proper atmosphere go watch an away match (good luck getting tickets).

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
In Europe they have people on podiums at the front of the singing stands with loudspeakers. That and big drums. And lots of giant flags.

That combined with safe standing would be great. Although I dunno if an English bloke would be able to pull off the loudspeaker thing.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I really like the brass band England has. It's in no way annoying and creates a super atmosphere.

Vuvuzela is an option too I guess.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It's been terrible this season but i think the last 3 years have taken their toll, because the performances have been better. I think we just need to get a few good performances and wins under our belts and start pushing for top 4 to get everyone up for it again.

I do think we'd be a lot better off this season if we'd had a better atmosphere. I think the nervousness from the supporters affects the players.

ZupZup

Atmosphere at Old Trafford has been poor... only seems to get decent for the biggest matches.

Much, much prefer going to an away match.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I haven't been able to get to a game this season, but been to many since Fergie retired, and always felt the atmosphere was very good and positive, even during the dullest football under LvG and the Moyes horrorshow, there was a great camaraderie in the stands even at the worst of times. From watching on TV, it does sound very quiet this year, and almost every game we're hearing the standard "your support is fecking shit" chant from the away corner. You would think that would spark a reaction, but it doesn't seem to.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I got told off by the guy behind me for celebrating a goal last time I was in the south stand.

I've turned down freebies in that stand since, I'd rather watch from home.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
South stand isn't the best place for atmosphere in fairness. Pitchside/main stands aren't in general, tbf. There's almost an unspoken correlation between how sedate a section and how good their view of the game is.

In fact the best atmospheres I've been in have been in sections that are barely even watching the match in question.

Dr Fink

Loud in the armchair end though? Only joking. The fans and the team: it works both ways; they should feed off each other. Today was quiet to be fair and the performance was better.

Woeisme

Me and my lad where stood up in south stand during a recent europa league game and was told to sit down by the guy behind.
Thats Shocking.
When I explained to him that we were standing up trying to create atmosphere he looked at me gone out ffs
Hard to believe how inconsiderate that guy was. He should have been more understanding. I mean so what if all he could see was you and your lads back.

wolvored

I just said on the Fellaini thread, I havent been to OT or away since 09/10 season, but when I used to go regular the away support was always more vociferous than at home. It seemed to get worse when we extended the stadium to 76000, and Keane was right there are a lot of prawn sandwich brigade go.

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
OT, Emirates, Anfield, Stamford Bridge etc all now have generally poor atmospheres apart from the big games.

If you want atmosphere, you need to be in the Stretford End or singing section at OT and even then it may not be great for the smaller games.

Aways are where it's at for atmosphere and our supporters are widely recognised as one of the best. A lot of lads that go and help create this atmosphere do not go to home games anymore because of the atmosphere issue and that in itself worsens the problem.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
South Stand is pretty much the worst place to go if you want atmosphere - the whole stadium will never be rocking because there are too many who go who have no interest in creating any atmosphere.
Singing Section or top tier of Stretford End are the best areas, failing that the sections around there like Kstand or lower down Stretty.

Sylar

Problem ive had at times is in my section im the only one chanting which gets awkward after a while.
Whilst the singing section is good, need more of that around the stadium. Eg in North stand, have an area where those who want to chant are located.

It does annoy me when im in North stand and get up cos everybody else does, and the person behind says "sit down, youre in the way of my photo"...

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Europa League is something that barely anyone cares about and a weekday atmosphere in OT with many empty seats and tickets given out for free to schools (at least, they used to do that for CL group games) all add up to not much noise.

I hate the culture of people telling you to sit down and tutting when you try and make some noise because it just adds to the self-consciousness of trying to do it in the first place which usually results in nobody standing up and everyone being silent. If we could stop giving a shit about what the people around us think then most people would get up and make something happen. Modern day football in Britain isn't set up for that though.

OT is quiet for most matches but so is everywhere else. You need to be somewhere like Eastern Europe or South America to really sample some proper football atmosphere.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
South Stand is shit. West is the best atmosphere but even that can dissapoint, you want proper atmosphere go watch an away match (good luck getting tickets).
So there's absolutely no chance a non regular match goer can get away tickets? :(

I regularly watch TelandBenjie's YouTube videos and the away matches seemed proper fun.

Ady87

It's driven by anxiety and apprehension.

The atmosphere is the best when we are smashing a team, or behind.

0-0 or 1-0 to us and the place is terrible because of fear.

Parma Dewol

Where you sit definitely makes a big difference.

We're in the east stand (block E239) and the atmosphere is usually good. Noise coming from the singing section and plenty of banter between east stand and the away fans. The atmosphere this season hasn't been as good as previous years in my opinion, but it was better yesterday.

The_Order

Need more flags, I remember the Real Madrid game, so many flags, it looked awesome

Drz

I second the Flags and Banners idea... Also, there should be more than one singing section (so one can respond whilst the other thinks of another song).
I am not suggesting any form of violence, but I do wish the atmosphere "appeared" more hostile to the opposition.
Loved it when we started booing Rose.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
So there's absolutely no chance a non regular match goer can get away tickets? :(

I regularly watch TelandBenjie's YouTube videos and the away matches seemed proper fun.
It's extremely difficult unless someone can hook you up with one. My only away was Leeds away in the League Cup and it was brilliant.

MarchingOn

Get the North and South Stands on their feet and a part of the game. Stretford End is great but cant create an atmosphere by themselves in a 75,000 seater.

SalfordRed1960

I second the Flags and Banners idea... Also, there should be more than one singing section (so one can respond whilst the other thinks of another song).
I am not suggesting any form of violence, but I do wish the atmosphere "appeared" more hostile to the opposition.
Loved it when we started booing Rose.
This used to be the norm (60s and 70s), stretty split left side and right side baiting each other and then a shot at the scoreboard to sing a song . Those were the days.
I think stretty end regulars should start this going again, and then call on the singing section to sing a song. Obviously, the stands in those days echoed enormously and the noise was very impressive.
Main reason away fans are heard is because of the proximity to the roof.

Jaxdan

I have not been to OT. I will be there for at least two games next spring. That said, I stand and cheer when there is something to cheer. Everyone is different, I go to watch the game and don't want to spend my whole two hours on my feet chanting and singing. Everyone is different. Just because you aren't in to raucousness, doesn't make you less of a fan. To each their own.

pacifictheme

Thats Shocking.

Hard to believe how inconsiderate that guy was. He should have been more understanding. I mean so what if all he could see was you and your lads back.
Probably best if you never attend a football match.

Sad Chris

Win titles again!