Film R.I.P. Richard Donner

Reiver

Just seen that he has passed away. Thought it would be worth a thread. Amongst other things, he directed Superman and The Goonies, two excellent films whose legacy will live on. Loved them as a child and, as a father, enjoyed sharing them with my boy too.

Always wished he'd been allowed to finish Superman 2 as he wanted, as even the rough cut that is available, shows it would have been a better film than the version that made it to cinemas.

Link to a piece about him on the Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/jul/05/richard-donner-dead-91-director-superman-goonies

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Ahh man. Love some of his movies. Hopefully his family get the support they need.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Good director and still the only filmmaker who understood Superman.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Just seen that he has passed away. Thought it would be worth a thread. Amongst other things, he directed Superman and The Goonies, two excellent films whose legacy will live on. Loved them as a child and, as a father, enjoyed sharing them with my boy too.

Always wished he'd been allowed to finish Superman 2 as he wanted, as even the rough cut that is available, shows it would have been a better film than the version that made it to cinemas.

Link to a piece about him on the Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/jul/05/richard-donner-dead-91-director-superman-goonies
Sad news. RIP to a very talented filmmaker.

I haven’t seen the ‘Donner Cut’ of Superman 2 but I understand that it covers how he gets his powers back after giving them up, which the Lester version never bothers to explain.

Reiver

Sad news. RIP to a very talented filmmaker.

I haven’t seen the ‘Donner Cut’ of Superman 2 but I understand that it covers how he gets his powers back after giving them up, which the Lester version never bothers to explain.
It does.
Basically, when Clark returns to the Fortress of Solitude, he speaks to Jor-El again. His father tells him he can restore his powers but the price is that the essence of Jor-El that survives in the crystals will be gone and no longer able to interact with his son. It's a good and moving resolution to the situation.

Jericholyte2

This broke my heart a little bit. Superman was the movie of my childhood and I still hold it up there. The joy and whimsy it gave was just amazing and this scene never fails to give me chills.

RIP Richard Donner

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
It does.
Basically, when Clark returns to the Fortress of Solitude, he speaks to Jor-El again. His father tells him he can restore his powers but the price is that the essence of Jor-El that survives in the crystals will be gone and no longer able to interact with his son. It's a good and moving resolution to the situation.
Yes I thought it was along those lines. Thanks.