Rafael and Fabio

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What's the news on these guys? Are they in England yet? I remember reading they'd come to United in January, haven't heard anything since.

prateik

dont think they can play anything but friendlies until they turn 18 (in aug)
think they are training with uss

westlife4ever

they' re surely training with us now. sir alex mentioned that in Red View last week i think.

PS18

dont think they can play anything but friendlies until they turn 18 (in aug)
think they are training with uss
early July they turn 18 iirc (July 9th rings a bell for some reason) so i think they should be available for all of pre-season. they're definitely training with us now, keep seeing them at OT on matchdays in their club tracksuits.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
early July they turn 18 iirc (July 9th rings a bell for some reason) so i think they should be available for all of pre-season. they're definitely training with us now, keep seeing them at OT on matchdays in their club tracksuits.
Correct.

Danish Wizard

Has anyone seen these lads play for us yet? When are they making there debut?
They haven't played for us yet.. They will probably make their debuts for the reserves, while the first team squad is in South-Africa..

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
It'll be very interesting to see what level they're on. They made their Brazil u17 debuts shortly after turning 15 but as far as I know they haven't progressed beyond that level.

PS18

Don't think they played much (if at all) for Fluminense after the U17 World Cup last year because they were bound for United, so I guess they weren't in condition to play for the national team.

They were on the bench at Burscough on Saturday (not as substitutes but they were there in training gear), might get to see them at Altrincham on Saturday or maybe Oxford the week after.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Neither. Nor did Petrucci. The new boys are being held back a bit for some reason. But I'm sure we'll be raving about them before long.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Rumor has it Roma were thinkng of giving him a few minutes of first team footie in the near future. Macheda and Brady played for the reserves at 16 last season, I'm sure Petrucci will this season.

ruudvantastic

Petrucci is way too young! He will have a good season or so with Academy before seeing Reserve team action.

Rossi was only in the academy for a couple of months tops before playing for the reserves. I haven't seen him play of course but if he's as good as Roma are annoyed at losing him then I'd hope for similiar progression.

68-99-08

I wouldnt be surprised to see Petrucci go straight into the reserves. The Roma chief said that he wouldve made the Roma first team soon had he stayed.

Name Changed

weso26
So far I have been very disappointed, especially with the first team friendlies, not seeing some of the young players get their chance.

Why haven't Fabio and Rafael being involved? Petrucci?

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Rossi was only in the academy for a couple of months tops before playing for the reserves. I haven't seen him play of course but if he's as good as Roma are annoyed at losing him then I'd hope for similiar progression.
Rossi was more than a year older at the time! He was only eligible for our Youth and 18's for one season so naturally was pushed on quicker. Same with Pique.

Petrucci is 16 and has 2/3 years in the 18's yet.

The Roma comment I take witha pinch of salt.....another way of getting more money in compensation from United.

We'll see in due course.

Virtuoso

Rossi was more than a year older at the time! He was only eligible for our Youth and 18's for one season so naturally was pushed on quicker. Same with Pique.

Petrucci is 16 and has 2/3 years in the 18's yet.

The Roma comment I take witha pinch of salt.....another way of getting more money in compensation from United.

We'll see in due course.
It's all conjecture at the moment because none of us really know whether Petrucci will play more so in the Academy or Reserves but he will turn 17 in October so he only has 1 or 2 seasons maximum in the Academy. Macheda is only 3 months older and a lot less well regarded as Petrucci who has taken the Italy national youth teams by storm. I think that Davide Petrucci will definitely be pushed up into the Reserves early despite all the striking options we have (some going out on loan). The only reason I could see for holding Petrucci back would be to get him more accustomed to English football at a lower level whereas someone like Macheda already has a season's worth of experience under his belt.

Also, though I agree that Roma's hissy-fit regarding us signing Petrucci was excessive intentionally and for ulterior reasons, I do genuinely think he was going to get sporadic call ups to the first team squad for them in the same vein as Riccardo Brosco who is in the same age bracket. Look forward to seeing him play because at the moment we're all just basing our opinions on what we've heard/read.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Macheda is only 3 months older and a lot less well regarded as Petrucci who has taken the Italy national youth teams by storm
Good post but it should be noted that Macheda was a star performer for Italy u16s when we signed him and did well for the u17s towards the end of last season.

Virtuoso

Good post but it should be noted that Macheda was a star performer for Italy u16s when we signed him and did well for the u17s towards the end of last season.
Yeah, I'm a big fan of Macheda. I really think he can do well at United and completely agree with your post in the other thread about a possible long term option if he adopts the United work ethic etc. Not sure why, but Macheda wasn't being picked for the Italy U17s much after the mid-way point in last season. Davide Petrucci has proven himself for the Allievi Nazionali as top goalscorer for the highly talented Roma academy and was top goalscorer for Italy U17s without being an out and out striker - he's certainly got a bigger billing than Federico Macheda but from what we've seen from Macheda last season, he is a special talent and could have a future with us.

PS18

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Macheda. I really think he can do well at United and completely agree with your post in the other thread about a possible long term option if he adopts the United work ethic etc. Not sure why, but Macheda wasn't being picked for the Italy U17s much after the mid-way point in last season.
The Italians are very insular with regards to their young internationals, those playing abroad do tend to get ignored (Rossi was shunned for a long while, up until U21's, when he was back playing for Parma anyway). Although for some reason, Chelsea have a couple of Italians who keep getting called up despite (in the words of a mate of mine who goes to all the Chelsea academy games) being nowhere near Macheda's quality.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Although for some reason, Chelsea have a couple of Italians who keep getting called up despite (in the words of a mate of mine who goes to all the Chelsea academy games) being nowhere near Macheda's quality.
Not sure how involved Zola is in the Italian Youth set up at the moment but if I was to hazard a guess I would say it's because of him.

PS18

Could be. I know him and Casiraghi are in charge of the U21's. Not sure what influence they have on U17/U18 levels but it might be something to do with that.

Petrucci's come over here with a much bigger fanfare and reputation, hopefully the same won't happen to him.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Yeah, I'm a big fan of Macheda. I really think he can do well at United and completely agree with your post in the other thread about a possible long term option if he adopts the United work ethic etc. Not sure why, but Macheda wasn't being picked for the Italy U17s much after the mid-way point in last season. Davide Petrucci has proven himself for the Allievi Nazionali as top goalscorer for the highly talented Roma academy and was top goalscorer for Italy U17s without being an out and out striker - he's certainly got a bigger billing than Federico Macheda but from what we've seen from Macheda last season, he is a special talent and could have a future with us.
He's quite a big lad too. Good to see him having a good time in the milk cup. We've some potential at that level

Rafael and fabio will get the chances but no one knows when. We have to remember they're still young boys so patience required. The main thing is they live up to their potential

twitter thread suggester
Rafael and Fabio travel to Posh
Young Brazilian defenders Fabio and Rafael Da Silva have been included in Sir Alex Ferguson's squad for Monday night's friendly at Peterborough.

The youngsters have been unable to play football while they awaited international clearance to represent United, but will now wear numbers 18 and 19 respectively in the Reds' 19-man travelling party.

They will be joined by fellow Brazilian Rodrigo Possebon and a host of other United youngsters, while the likes of Rio Ferdinand, Wes Brown, Carlos Tevez, Patrice Evra, John O'Shea, Darren Fletcher and Nani bring plenty of experience to the squad.

Monday night's friendly against the Posh - United's penultimate pre-season friendly before Sunday's Community Shield clash against Portsmouth - kicks-off at 19:45 BST and will be shown live on MUTV and MUTV Online.

United: Kuszczak, Zieler; O’Shea, Evra, J Evans, Ferdinand, Brown, Cathcart, F Da Silva, R Da Silva; Fletcher, Gibson, Martin, Cleverley, Possebon, Gray; Campbell, Tevez, Nani.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Rafael played the whole game at right back....Fabio replaced Evra at half-time.

Both look excellent prospects, good on the ball, great going forward but didn't really get tested defensively.

Great to see them in action finally........probably both play at Northwich on Thursday!

Name Changed

weso26
Both made a couple of basic mistakes. But with a little bit of experience and some decent coaching those mistakes will be alleviated. They are both serious prospects.