Rafael!

Negative Red

Rafael was always one of my favourite players when he was at United and was sold too soon. He always tried to play positive football and obviously that didn't sit well with Val Gaal. I seem to remember his red card against Bayern was a bit of a joke as well, refereeing-wise.

devips

While none of us expect Rafa to be playing for us again, I, for one, was pleasantly surprised by his performance last night. He was excellent, vintage Rafael for us once more. I love him, and so do countless other true United fans, I am sure.

RedDevilRoshi

Loved his reaction above in front of the Stretford :devil:

He was the best player on the park by a country mile last night.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
What a joyless cat you appear to be. This shit is why people prefer dogs.
Ha. No I was never taken with him he always seemed an accident waiting to happen. I get why he was liked by people but I never thought of him as highly there always seemed to be something ready to happen at any time with him.

Nice to see him still playing though.

stevoc

Yes. That's why I said it. Was never as impressed with him as some on here.
Fair enough mate I suppose, I was just surprised you remember him mainly for red cards when he had so few. From memory his red card vs Spurs was harsh, even Redknapp didn't think it was a red and his red card vs Bayern was a bit of a joke.

Who was his 3rd red card against again I can’t remember?

In a similar period Vidic got 8 red cards, though granted from more games. 300 vs Rafael's 170.

facund

Say what you want about his footballing abilities, there is plenty of scope for debate.

One thing is for sure, he did not take playing for the club for granted. He knew exactly what an honour and privilege it was and that reflected in his passion and commitment to every moment he was on the pitch.

His injury proneness was the major negative for me but I still would have preferred him playing an average of every other game than having to settle for Valencia and Darmian at RB.

The red (two yellows) against Bayern was the point some of our fans gave up on him. Many viewed him as a rash liability from then on. I always thought the second yellow was harsh, Ribery stitched him up good and proper.

The moment that seemed to seal his fate at the club was when Vardy cheated a penalty out of him during LVG's early days, he was quickly frozen out.

Strange how such split second moments can decide a career and forever sully a reputation.

The Cat

Fair enough mate I suppose, I was just surprised you remember him mainly for red cards when he had so few. From memory his red card vs Spurs was harsh, even Redknapp didn't think it was a red and his red card vs Bayern was a bit of a joke.

Who was his 3rd red card against again I can’t remember?

In a similar period Vidic got 8 red cards, though granted from more games. 300 vs Rafael's 170.
It could just be my age mate :lol:

kiristao

Not for a moment am I suggesting we sign Rafael but would really like to see a few more players playing with their hearts on the sleeves at United. Other that Mctominay, Fred and Bruno, I see no one else that comes even close to showing any kind of passion and aggression

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
The main thing I can remember about him is red cards.
Well your memory is pretty fecked up considering that he didn't pick many. Transfermarkt show that he got just one playing for United.

But carry on with usual bullshit agenda people generally talk about the likes of Rafael, Smalling, etc.

The Cat

Well your memory is pretty fecked up considering that he didn't pick many. Transfermarkt show that he got just one playing for United.

But carry on with usual bullshit agenda people generally talk about the likes of Rafael, Smalling, etc.
How about you keep your twisted posts to yourself and butt out eh? You are wrong for a start he definitely didn't just get one so keep your bitter bullshit to yourself ok it's your memory that is "pretty fecked up". He was a walking mistake in case you don't remember yourself.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
How about you keep your twisted posts to yourself and butt out eh? You are wrong for a start he definitely didn't just get one so keep your bitter bullshit to yourself ok it's your memory that is "pretty fecked up". He was a walking mistake in case you don't remember yourself.
How about you keep your twisted post "I remember him for his red cards" for yourself, or at least check your facts before posting nonsense?

The Cat

How about you keep your twisted post "I remember him for his red cards" for yourself, or at least check your facts before posting nonsense?
Hey you were wrong don't turn it on me. I watched most of his games and I am entitled to my opinion. If you don't like it then bugger off your nonsense bitter posts seem to be increasing.

Check the fact you posted for a bloody start and don't waste my time with your idiotic posts.

yfoFC

I love him, I absolutely love him.

Even more so than Herrera and you can see the similarities between those two

Red_Aaron

If he was still with us he'd be one of the senior pros now.

It's these type of characters that Keane is talking about us lacking in the squad and they played an absolutely huge role in the make up of SAFs teams

Perhaps we do remember his ability with a rose tint but his attitude was unmistakable and if our team showed a fraction of what he did last night we'd have won at a canter

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
His technical ability is still quite good (especially compared to our current starting pair), his passion is still there... I mean, he'd certainly be a disaster, he wouldn't play for Istanbul (and without much success individually) if he was still capable of playing even on a decent level. But I'd at least root for him wholeheartedly :keano:

Had a great game last night. To be honest, he'd probably be a massive influence if we had signed him as a third goalkeeper, just to keep him in the dressing room.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Hey you were wrong don't turn it on me. I watched most of his games and I am entitled to my opinion. If you don't like it then bugger off your nonsense bitter posts seem to be increasing.

Check the fact you posted for a bloody start and don't waste my time with your idiotic posts.
I posted facts from transfemarkt, one of the most reliable sources around. You posted classic terrible poster agenda shite from your head.

stevoc

I posted facts from transfemarkt, one of the most reliable sources around. You posted classic terrible poster agenda shite from your head.
He got sent off 3 times for United mate, i got my info from transfermarkt too. But its a bit confusing the way they list it. He had one straight red and two reds for a second booking.

The Cat

You are wrong just admit it and you are the one who started hurling insults as well as usual. Pathetic you want to grow up and chill out. And check your facts. Again.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
You are wrong just admit it and you are the one who started hurling insults as well as usual. Pathetic you want to grow up and chill out. And check your facts. Again.
Who the feck are you?

Bobski

His pace is pretty much gone, you could see it at Lyon, had clearly declined physically, and he struggles to get back.

That said, I still adore him, yes he was erratic and prone to moments of madness, even last night he had a few of those total commitment to winning the ball, no thought of the consequences of failing moments. His mentality is so Utd under Fergie though, the will to fight and compete, to not hide from a challenge. The game is not just about ability, mentality set Fergies Utd apart, and guys like Rafael got it.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
What's it got to do with you? Are you some kind of internet superstar? Does post count give you a right to post nonsense?

Just stop digging you are making yourself look worse :lol:
What the feck is wrong with you pal? Internet superstar :lol:

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He was absolutely fantastic last night actually.

Was always underrated at our club and is one of those weird players that probably works better at elite clubs where you're doing all the attacking than at lower level sides. Always thought similar of Evra! Great mentality too, proper winner. Real shame about his injury problems.

Edit:. Definitely not good enough for us nowadays of course, but one of those players we let go a bit too soon I think.
definitely not good enough? he plays in turkey, yeah but I think it's his injury problems which forced him to take a step down a couple of times, now the ship has sailed but you could see he's still capable of superb performances which would in all fairness bench current AWB. I think Brandon can be his successor though :cool:

The Cat

What the feck is wrong with you pal? Internet superstar :lol:
Nothing wrong with me pal.

How many red cards did Raphael get?

Chop chop.

That's without all the other games where he looked like he was going to do something stupid.

You are hilarious. :lol:

facund

I'd give up bud.
As much as I detest reading your opinion of Rafael, you showed willingness to discuss things in good faith. Fair play.

@Amar__ You are having A_mare

The Cat

Actually feck it you can go back on to ignore to stop me spoiling this thread for others - sorry folks - fed up with him spouting random nonsense again.

Made 1 arguement that was factually wrong and the rest was just a load of insults. No loss to me.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Nothing wrong with me pal.

How many red cards did Raphael get?

Chop chop.

That's without all the other games where he looked like he was going to do something stupid.

You are hilarious. :lol:
You didnt even talk about how many red cards causing you to remember it. You just talked about you remembering his red cards.

It's the amount of love people put to players with 'passion' because they put their face on for a slap with the opposition.

stevoc

You didnt even talk about how many red cards causing you to remember it. You just talked about you remembering his red cards.

It's the amount of love people put to players with 'passion' because they put their face on for a slap with the opposition.
What a sentence. :lol:

Yeah don't you just hate people who like players that display a bit of passion. Passion ugh, no room for it in modern game I say.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
He got sent off 3 times for United mate, i got my info from transfermarkt too. But its a bit confusing the way they list it. He had one straight red and two reds for a second booking.
Yeah, that's why I wrote that he didn't get many and was careful and named transfermarkt as my source, considering it just showed one red card and I wasn't sure if it's in total or they don't count two yellows as red since I think I remember him getting two red cards. Anyway, still not big number, the point stands.

el3mel

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/4092/History/Rafael

Whoscored are saying he was sent off 3 times with us.

I definitely remember 2 of them, the one against Chelsea when Luiz cheated and the famous one vs Bayern in 2010. Don't remember the third one though.