Raheem Sterling | Flirting with Real

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
He is a great player but it seems impossible.
Even if City are banned for two years - which I doubt- he has a long contract and would be very expensive.
With Rodrygo in his second year and Asensio returning from his injury (if he is able to return to his level) I would say that the priority will be to speculate with Mbappe and sign midfielders, or even another substitute for Benzema
From what I’ve seen as asensio he really isn’t all that. Bit over hyped. I’ve got a theory that to be a hyped prospect for real these days you have to have a cool name too. Like Isco which is like disco but without a d, or Cisco, as in San Francisco. Asensio similarly benefits because it sounds like some kind of posh coffee granules or a new brand of upmarket after dinner choccy mints.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
From what I’ve seen as asensio he really isn’t all that. Bit over hyped. I’ve got a theory that to be a hyped prospect for real these days you have to have a cool name too. Like Isco which is like disco but without a d, or Cisco, as in San Francisco. Asensio similarly benefits because it sounds like some kind of posh coffee granules or a new brand of upmarket after dinner choccy mints.
I had never thought of it that way.
Asensio sounds very common to me but It is true that Isco is a cool diminutive for his name.Paco Alarcón wouldn't be the same :lol:
You are right about Asensio, he is quite over hyped. Spanish, young, quite handsome, signed by Florentino when he was about to go to Barça and after meeting him as a child and with a great collection of goals. He had all the ingredients to be overrated.
He was one of my favorite players before the injury, a lot of technique on the left foot, but often very absent in the pitch,disappointed a lot in the Solari season, but I hope they give him more time in the first team

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Top level player of course but he dosen't half look lower league when he goes through one of his scoring droughts. Amazing he's never scored v Man. United and it certainly played on his mind today.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Top level player of course but he dosen't half look lower league when he goes through one of his scoring droughts. Amazing he's never scored v Man. United and it certainly played on his mind today.
He in fact has a worse touch than Lingard on derby days. Still a brilliant player mind.

vodrake

I've never seen a player who so clearly has such a mental block against one particular team. Long may it continue!

Supports
England
I miss that thread that asked if Sterling was the best English player in which so many people were falling over themselves to say yes based on his performances at the start of the season. This is why you take your time to avoid recency bias.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I love how he could have the ball placed on the goal line and De Gea could be stood in the Stretford End, and he'd still miss.

His streak against us is never going to end.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He’s been off the boil for a while now, to the stage where if Rashford wasn’t injured I’d fancy rashford and Sancho to take Sterling out of England’s starting 11.

Hoof the ball

I miss that thread that asked if Sterling was the best English player in which so many people were falling over themselves to say yes based on his performances at the start of the season. This is why you take your time to avoid recency bias.
But you're reacting to the most recent three month form dip on the back of 1.5 seasons of sustained, consistent top class form. Aren't you arguing from a point of recency?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Sane's injury has really hurt Sterling. We do not have anyone else who can really play on the LW. Jesus can do a job there, that's about it. Sterling started the season in immense form but he's burnt himself out and Pep has been reluctant to drop him/switch him to RW because of the absence of an adequate replacement. Even still, I'd have given him a rest by now. Look at the Madrid game - he was benched, came on for the last twenty minutes and played a hand in the first goal then won a penalty to win us the match. He seems the sort of personality who'll react well to actually getting dropped for a game or two.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Sane's injury has really hurt Sterling. We do not have anyone else who can really play on the LW. Jesus can do a job there, that's about it. Sterling started the season in immense form but he's burnt himself out and Pep has been reluctant to drop him/switch him to RW because of the absence of an adequate replacement. Even still, I'd have given him a rest by now. Look at the Madrid game - he was benched, came on for the last twenty minutes and played a hand in the first goal then won a penalty to win us the match. He seems the sort of personality who'll react well to actually getting dropped for a game or two.
Yep.

KennyBurner

People are really downplaying how brilliant wan bissaka is defensively. Sterling was average yesterday but not terrible like it’s being made to be. Our whole team was defensively sound yesterday that the likes of aguro couldn’t get a sniff. There is not a single winger in the league that has dominated AWB so I don’t see why it surprises most of you that sterling was helpless yesterday.

There was even a point when mahrez switched wings with sterling and tried to be cheeky which resulted in a counter attack that we would have scored if James made better decisions.

Supports
England
But you're reacting to the most recent three month form dip on the back of 1.5 seasons of sustained, consistent top class form. Aren't you arguing from a point of recency?
Haha, touché!

The key difference is that I'm not trying to assert a big opinion either way. If you look at the previous post, I don't say that I think Sterling is bad or anything (I don't think he is!) but I also think - and thought at the time - that the beginning of the season was an anomaly for him. I didn't think that it represented some brand new apex that he was going to be able to sustain indefinitely. If someone had asked me in November, I would've suggested waiting until the end of the season to see if it was development or a purple patch (actually I think I did put that in the "best player" thread). Fair question though.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
His interview for England then was interesting. Maybe I’m reading too much into it but “there’s lots of reasons why I haven’t scored as many goals this season” and “I couldn’t wait to meet up with the England camp and get going”.

His tone hinted that things might not be quite right for him with Pep at City.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
A good player but not really a go to guy.

In a team like City his flaws are covered by the strong team. For England, each miss counts and he's not got the likes of De Bruyne and Silva feeding him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Didn't think he played that well but still.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Not even close :lol:

His strengths outweigh his weaknesses by a good margin.
I think it’s a fair comparison tbh. Both are good and not ‘donkeys’ though.

el3mel

I see absolutely no similarities between both except that they miss a lot of chances. They both play in a completely different way. Very weird comparison to be honest.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Yep I would agree, though I also feel that Werner's strengths outweigh his weaknesses too. He is capable of great moments, but is inconsistent in his general technique/finishing.
I agree. His finishing has unfortunately made him a meme but there's a reason why Tuchel starts him.