Ralf Rangnick's consultancy role has been scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

Ole. Southgate maybe.

Why Ole insisted on pursuing Sancho remains a complete mystery to me. He seems the most un-Ole player imaginable.
We needed a right winger and Ole had planned to change the style of play last season to more possession based. Obviously that didn't work out too well for him though.

r1z3mu

Rangnick was the first manager to have the balls to say things the way they are are. He knew what needed to be changed, the amount of surgery the squad needed and openly criticized a few aspects of our club.The club's reply? We removed him.
This++. Rangnick was too "politically incorrect". He was saying things that showed what kind of mess this club's structure is.

Shiva87

Timber, De Jong, Anthony, Arnautovic, Martinez...

If the club genuinely haven't looked at any players and have zero ideas of who to target as they forgot to do any scouting, then fair enough. I don't believe that though, we've scrapped the clubs targets and players Ralf recommended in favour of (primarily) letting ETH choose his own targets.

Ultimately it is the club's fault for allowing a new manager too much power.
It was Timber or Lissandro. Anthony was always paper talk. It was clear that Ajax are not selling him from day 1 and of all people ETH would have known that. Any credible sources that we bid for him?

Arnautovic is a really odd one but it's more like an Ighalo signing. Not a long term purchase but a quick fix because Ronaldo acted out.

stevoc

No he didn't. Our football under Ole was on the whole pretty dire and was never going to be sustainable and ETH is never getting anything out of this group because Rashford is finished, Bruno inexplicably has become a complete liability for us and you never know what youre going to get with De Gea and Shaw.These 4 played a massive part in getting us top 4 finishes. Football is a team game. When relying on individuals it's eventually going to fall apart and here we are today.

The most important cogs in the wheel are in midfield. Do you honestly think we have the players there to even push for top 4 when the parts i mentioned are falling apart? ETH may be one of the potentially best managers out there but he can't work miracles. Both Klopp and Pep ripped up their respective squads in a very short period of time because even they couldn't get blood out of a stone so what makes you think ETH is any different?
He did though.

Fernandes, Shaw, Fred, Rashford, Martial, and even the much maligned Maguire had one or more good seasons under him.

If Ten Hag want's to replace the entire squad I'm on board with that but it can't be done in a short period of time. In the mean time these are the players he has to work with, improve and get performing.

Mainoldo

I'm not conveniently overlooking anything mate, I knew what you meant but it was irrelevant. You were basically claiming that Ralf Rangnick knows which players suit Ten Hags style better than Erik himself does because Erik may or may not have personally scouted Antony in Brazil.

Perhaps but with how things played out it seems like Ten Hag didn't want his help in identifying players.
Yes that’s exactly what I’m pointing out. I’m highlighting ETH might not know the market well enough to be leading the scouting on players for Manchester United. He didn’t lead it for Ajax and the quality of player of us is a lot higher. Ralf has done the director role he has a lot more contacts. Would he have highlighted better players I do not know. But what I do know is that he has an overall great knowledge of the market than ETH because he’s not a manager. His time at the club shows us this.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
He wanted Mukiele in January who has since joined PSG and looks a top prospect at right back. He was onto something, made a lot of sense when he spoke about signing players on their second contract still with a lot to prove. Funny how the narrative has changed about him from just one game.

Yakuza_devils

This guy has right track records, experience, contacts and vision to be DOF compared to fecking Murtough.

But he rocks the boat too much. He has to go because he can't kept his mouth shut and toe the company line.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
How?

Genuinely interested.

Indeed it's a fascinating theory that no one that I can recall has been able to explain with anything tangible.
I have no explanation for it - but it happened. In front of our eyes... and still is

Gary Neville seemed to hint that it has to do with temperament - our players simply can't (aren't good enough to) handle the pressure

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Our players seemed to play better. Other teams thrive of the fans.
I don't know about that being true but what would that even mean? Other teams play better in front of their own fans than we do?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
said it before, will say it again. Sack Arnold and bring in Edwin VdS. Murtough can go and play with his monopoly money

Shiva87

Not if we give him a 3 year deal...
Do you really see him as a first choice for United even next season, let alone 3 years? The contract is only what's offered to make the player come here. He will be a short term back up to Martial till we can upgrade on Martial and make him the back up.

Revaulx

We needed a right winger and Ole had planned to change the style of play last season to more possession based. Obviously that didn't work out too well for him though.
Very much not!

The thing is though, there was clearly nobody at the club in any sort of footballing capacity asking whether Ole was capable of transitioning to a completely different style. If there had been, they wouldn’t have been so surprised when it didn’t work out.

stevoc

Yes that’s exactly what I’m pointing out. I’m highlighting ETH might not know the market well enough to be leading the scouting on players for Manchester United. He didn’t lead it for Ajax and the quality of player of us is a lot higher. Ralf has done the director role he has a lot more contacts. Would he have highlighted better players I do not know. But what I do know is that he has an overall great knowledge of the market than ETH because he’s not a manager. His time at the club shows us this.
Yeah and his first hand knowledge of the south american market is largely irrelevant with regards to identifying players to bring to Manchester United which are most suited to his own style of football. And that's without even mentioning that I doubt Rangnick has extensive first hand knowledge of up and coming South American Talent. The majority of the players he was rumoured to have been suggesting all played in Germany.

Managers rely on scouts and their scouting network, ours is currently being rebuilt/retooled towards Ten Hags needs. And Ten Hag most likely didn't want Rangnick involved in his recruitment process this summer (if indeed there ever even was a plan to have him involved in recruitment). I'm ok with that.

stevoc

I have no explanation for it - but it happened. In front of our eyes... and still is

Gary Neville seemed to hint that it has to do with temperament - our players simply can't (aren't good enough to) handle the pressure
No, no one seems to have one. Which most likely means it's nonsense. Gary Neville hinting towards it only supports that.

stevoc

Very much not!

The thing is though, there was clearly nobody at the club in any sort of footballing capacity asking whether Ole was capable of transitioning to a completely different style. If there had been, they wouldn’t have been so surprised when it didn’t work out.
Most likely so but there has been a clear out at the top of the club, we have a new CEO, a relatively new DOF, new head of scouting, new manager etc. etc. so let's see how it goes this time around.

Lyng

No, no one seems to have one. Which most likely means it's nonsense. Gary Neville hinting towards it only supports that.
Keane said the same. Our players have a weak mentality, which would make sense given their behaviour: downing tools, leaks to the media, whining during interviews etc.

Mainoldo

Yeah and his first hand knowledge of the south american market is largely irrelevant with regards to identifying players to bring to Manchester United which are most suited to his own style of football. And that's without even mentioning that I doubt Rangnick has extensive first hand knowledge of up and coming South American Talent. The majority of the players he was rumoured to have been suggesting all played in Germany.

Managers rely on scouts and their scouting network, ours is currently being rebuilt/retooled towards Ten Hags needs. And Ten Hag most likely didn't want Rangnick involved in his recruitment process this summer (if indeed there ever even was a plan to have him involved in recruitment). I'm ok with that.
What the F are you talking about. I was highlighting that ETH spends a lot of his time managing a team. What he probably doesn’t do is set down and watch the Bundesliga or EPL intensively during his time as a manager. He probably couldn’t tell you if Tielemans is better than Neves, he wouldn’t know much about them.

If you look at the players we have signed he’s had first contact with all of them. That is not a sign of someone with instense scouting knowledge.

In Ralf Rangnick you have a man who has done his research around the football market being his job and also has a lot of connections. What that means Is…. If he doesn’t have the answer there are people who he can contact which do. It’s probably how he got told about Nkunku and various others. It’s just how the football world works.

You telling me about his South American knowledge is yet again you not understand the point I was making.

stevoc

Keane said the same. Our players have a weak mentality, which would make sense given their behaviour: downing tools, leaks to the media, whining during interviews etc.
Keane said we played better in 2020 to 2021 because there were no fans in the stadiums?

stevoc

What the F are you talking about. I was highlighting that ETH spends a lot of his time managing a team. What he probably doesn’t do is set down and watch the Bundesliga or EPL intensively during his time as a manager. He probably couldn’t tell you if Tielemans is better than Neves, he wouldn’t know much about them.

If you look at the players we have signed he’s had first contact with all of them. That is not a sign of someone with instense scouting knowledge.

In Ralf Rangnick you have a man who has done his research around the football market being his job and also has a lot of connections. What that means Is…. If he doesn’t have the answer there are people who he can contact which do. It’s probably how he got told about Nkunku and various others. It’s just how the football world works.
It's fairly obvious mate.

Yes because as I've said our scouting network isn't currently set up properly after major departures and hasn't been scouting for players for Ten Hag so he's relying on trying to sign players he's familiar with. He obviously didn't fancy Ralf Rangnick driving recruitment (if the club ever actually wanted Ralf to do that).

You telling me about his South American knowledge is yet again you not understand the point I was making.
No I understood your point mate.

saivet

He would have made noise but I don't think he would have made much of an impact in his consultant role to be honest. A more logical route would have been for him to transition into our DoF but with Murtough freshly in the role it wasn't viable to be honest.

Mainoldo

It's fairly obvious mate.

Yes because as I've said our scouting network isn't currently set up properly after major departures and hasn't been scouting for players for Ten Hag so he's relying on trying to sign players he's familiar with. He obviously didn't fancy Ralf Rangnick driving recruitment (if the club ever actually wanted Ralf to do that).

No I understood your point mate.
There would still be legacy in there though. I think it’s just the front end which has been scrapped. However the majority that report into the front end are still there. I’m sure John or Fletcher could fill in and work something out with ETH for this window.

At this rate I’m sure the panick buying will revert to legacy targets anyway.

Revaulx

Most likely so but there has been a clear out at the top of the club, we have a new CEO, a relatively new DOF, new head of scouting, new manager etc. etc. so let's see how it goes this time around.
Oh definitely. It’s the new CEO that’s the key one for me; there’s a hope that if Murtough turns out to be a dud (which I obviously hope isn’t the case) then Arnold will move him on and recruit someone better.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Do you really see him as a first choice for United even next season, let alone 3 years? The contract is only what's offered to make the player come here. He will be a short term back up to Martial till we can upgrade on Martial and make him the back up.
Cool, and then we spend two years struggling to get him off our books because nobody is interested in a shit £175k/week player in his mid 30s.

Seriously, why do posters continue to give the club hierarchy the benefit of the doubt and pretend there's a master plan with regard to transfers?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
what? can't make sense of what you are saying... no one has a temperament? Everyone has one...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Oh definitely. It’s the new CEO that’s the key one for me; there’s a hope that if Murtough turns out to be a dud (which I obviously hope isn’t the case) then Arnold will move him on and recruit someone better.
and who will spot that Arnold's just a Woodward mini-me?

Vapor trail

Ragnick should never have been under John Murtough he should have been in the position occupied by Murtough. Even Paul Mitchell would have done. I think the modern era of football the onfield success is 50/50 between the manager and the DOF.

El-Manos

Him leaving was a bad feckin move. He knew more about the team than anyone currently at the club

Rajma

He realizes this now that has been pointed out by Ralf ages ago, the physical side to be able to hold off the players and turn them is as important in the EPL. If only he bothered to actually sit down with Ralf to take notes before the season started…Bruno, Rashford, VDB, Ronaldo, etc. just lack physicality required at this level. Good thing is ETH is able to recognize this himself now while the window is still open.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
said it before, will say it again. Sack Arnold and bring in Edwin VdS. Murtough can go and play with his monopoly money
What’s the point in that? The CEO’s job is to increase commercial revenue, it’s Murtoughs job to take care of all footballing matters. We’d be replacing Arnold with someone with less commercial and sponsorship experience

crossy1686

career ending
He realizes this now that has been pointed out by Ralf ages ago, the physical side to be able to hold off the players and turn them is as important in the EPL. If only he bothered to actually sit down with Ralf to take notes before the season started…Bruno, Rashford, VDB, Ronaldo, etc. just lack physicality required at this level. Good thing is ETH is able to recognize this himself now while the window is still open.
Everything is a joke to these blokes isn’t it? The reality is I bet they have a 10 year plan and are in no rush to speed things up because of how cushy their jobs are

Shiva87

Cool, and then we spend two years struggling to get him off our books because nobody is interested in a shit £175k/week player in his mid 30s.

Seriously, why do posters continue to give the club hierarchy the benefit of the doubt and pretend there's a master plan with regard to transfers?
I don't care if there is a master plan and there is no benefit of doubt. It's plain to see that we are mucking about and have no clue how to manage a transfer window after what was the worst season we have had in a long time.

Doesn't mean I can't see that this would only be a short term signing!

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I don't care if there is a master plan and there is no benefit of doubt. It's plain to see that we are mucking about and have no clue how to manage a transfer window after what was the worst season we have had in a long time.

Doesn't mean I can't see that this would only be a short term signing!
Fair enough

Status
Not open for further replies.