Ralph Hasenhüttl

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Tottenham should try and get him as soon as possible before Mourinho finishes them off.
This game reminded me of Poch when he came to OT in Fergies last season. They gave us a good game and pressed us very bigb up the pitch tjat night as well.

Robbie Boy

Tottenham should try and get him as soon as possible before Mourinho finishes them off.
Should have gone for him in the first place rather than the 'finished one'. He's been a highly rated manager in Europe for years now and he's done a good job at Southampton despite some crazy poor early season form. He needs to sort out their home form though.

Anyone that follows other European leagues had heard about him before he joined Southampton. There's some clueless posts in this thread though if you look back, making him out to some kind of fraud.

Ludens the Red

I like this guy. There’s quite a few times this season I’ve seen Southampton and their patterns of play, their constructed pressing and thought ‘that’s really good’. Genuinely wasn’t surprised they came here and did a number on us. Just more surprised they got so pathetically beaten by Arsenal a few weeks ago.
Though there is only so much you can do with the quality he has at his disposal, which isn’t much so consistency is bound to be a problem. I think he’d do really well with a better team.
Making total sense why Southampton didn’t get rid after the 9-0 too.

Icemav

I like this guy. There’s quite a few times this season I’ve seen Southampton and their patterns of play, their constructed pressing and thought ‘that’s really good’. Genuinely wasn’t surprised they came here and did a number on us. Just more surprised they got so pathetically beaten by Arsenal a few weeks ago.
Though there is only so much you can do with the quality he has at his disposal, which isn’t much so consistency is bound to be a problem. I think he’d do really well with a better team.
Making total sense why Southampton didn’t get rid after the 9-0 too.
Tiredness aside they were really really impressive in that last 25 minutes. They took the game away from us and passed us to death. It wasn't hit and hope stuff. That came from us. We looked clueless.

They did what I want us to do at the end of games. Its been a weakness of Ole's so far. Our Kryptonite.

A manager to keep an eye on. Wish I could pronounce his name.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What a turn around he's had.

From getting stuffed 9-0 to Beating City and Drawing with United.

He's got southampton looking like a very well drilled team. Signs of an excellent coach.

JohnnyKills

What a turn around he's had.

From getting stuffed 9-0 to Beating City and Drawing with United.

He's got southampton looking like a very well drilled team. Signs of an excellent coach.
How did they lose 9-0? Were the players trying to get him sacked at that point?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just shows how things can change in a season!

I think it was just a bit of a freak game with Leicester on fire and scoring pretty much every chance they had, but Southampton clearly weren't at the same level they are now.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He's like the cliché ca 2012 to 2018 Bundesliga coach. "Gegenpressing is the best playmaker is actually a Klopp quote", that most coaches in Germany lived by in that era, Roger Schmidt, Domenico Tedesco, David Wagner and Niko Kovac are other more or less prominent examples. They can make life hell for bigger clubs and they usually overperform from a cost efficiency point of view, but once they become favourites and get to a point where they have to control games, because opponents turn the tables and force possession on them they get beaten with their own weapons.

Denis' cuff

Been tracking this guy since 1977. Always knew he was the special special one. New boss by the end of August or I’m throwing my Poch poster at Ed Woodward or something...

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He's done really well but doesn't strike me as someone who could be a top level manager. I think someone like Spurs would be his peak where he could get them between 4-6.

I think he'll get Southampton into the top half next season.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
That really shouldn’t surprise you at all. They played United at Old Trafford, that’s always going to give Wembley-performances more often than La Manga in the summer vibes. Secondly, they have a style and it works better against better teams with naive managers. Focus one is to run more and tackle harder, make sure mistakes are made. Against shit teams and low blocks this doesn’t work and that’s why they are 12th and not 7th. If Soton plays low blocks and low energy counters today, they lose 6-0. Nobody wants to lose that hard.
I think the point of small teams having their personal cup final against United is often well overblown on the caf. Obviously as perennial champions under SAF and for newly promoted teams that might still be true but Southampton is a well established premier league team by now, I doubt they got a kick out of playing United in an empty stadium with nothing to play for at the end of the season.
Your 2nd part I agree with, that's a good point. It's sort of an easy game plan (although not that easy to execute) and with United expected to come at them they had it easy to aggressively bite their way into the game. Still, I was also impressed how good they were at circulating the ball and how many extra runs they made in possession as well.

SambaBoy

He's done well at Southampton. Got them playing in a good way and can see what he's trying to do.

He's got a terrible squad compared to his predecessors. Southampton used to be a feeder team for the top of the table but there's no-one there now that would be a target for a big club. Ings is doing amazing this season so think his goalscoring prowess may mask how poor their team actually is, not many lower level clubs have goalscorers like him. They need to give him money to strengthen for next season.

Mr Smith

He's done well at Southampton. Got them playing in a good way and can see what he's trying to do.

He's got a terrible squad compared to his predecessors. Southampton used to be a feeder team for the top of the table but there's no-one there now that would be a target for a big club. Ings is doing amazing this season so think his goalscoring prowess may mask how poor their team actually is, not many lower level clubs have goalscorers like him. They need to give him money to strengthen for next season.
Yeah he's done insanely well; remember when he took over S'oton were on the verge of going down? Nailed on he'll get nabbed by a bigger club. Would be a great fit for Spurs, even Chelsea might want to take a look at him if the Lampard experiment doesn't work out.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He's like the cliché ca 2012 to 2018 Bundesliga coach. "Gegenpressing is the best playmaker is actually a Klopp quote", that most coaches in Germany lived by in that era, Roger Schmidt, Domenico Tedesco, David Wagner and Niko Kovac are other more or less prominent examples. They can make life hell for bigger clubs and they usually overperform from a cost efficiency point of view, but once they become favourites and get to a point where they have to control games, because opponents turn the tables and force possession on them they get beaten with their own weapons.
Interesting. Do you think that could be the reason why Klopp changed the style this year?

Reynoldo

Only it's not an 'oo'-sound, but the umlaut ü ^^
(and the a sounds not like in 'haze' but as in 'daft')
The umlaut ü has no direct representation in english though right, so would it be closer to a "uu" or "oo" sound in English or am I way off?

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
His style of play is definitely something to admire. However I can’t help but think it’s much harder to translate at a bigger club over seasons of trying to win the title. A perfect example is Klopp whose style is very much like Ralph’s. Klopp chose to adapt his style to involve less manic pressing because he didn’t want to run his players into the ground. Look into pochs final season where everyone looked dead on their feet. When you have one game every week it’s fine but there’s a reason not many top clubs have these type of managers.

Not to say he won’t make it at the top but he’ll definitely have to learn to adapt at some point. No team can sustain that level of pressing over multiple seasons and it not go tits up.

Last edited:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
The umlaut ü has no direct representation in english though right, so would it be closer to a "uu" or "oo" sound in English or am I way off?
I wouldn't say either one is closer than the other, there really is no sound for it in english (that i'm aware of). People will know you mean Hasenhüttl, but it will always sound wrong.

Reynoldo

I wouldn't say either one is closer than the other, there really is no sound for it in english (that i'm aware of). People will know you mean Hasenhüttl, but it will always sound wrong.
Fair enough, that's pretty much what I thought.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Interesting. Do you think that could be the reason why Klopp changed the style this year?
I think Klopp already made notable adjustments in 2012, when Großkreutz lost his midfield spot and Sahin was brought in to replace Kehl/Bender in DM. 14/15 probably also taught him a lesson, when injuries took out most of his creative players and teams just bypassed all the (gegen-)pressing with hoofball.
When he started at Liverpool he already brought those experiences with him and you can see it somewhat clearly in certain decisions, e.g. the striker position: at Dortmund he used physically imposing no9s like Barrios or Lewandowski to lead the line and he was seriously considering signing Benteke for what would have been silly money, whereas at Liverpool he froze out the latter almost immediately and settled on Firmino relatively quickly. At Dortmund he seemed quite fine with having a goalkeeper in Weidenfeller and CBs in Subotic/Soktratis who had limited ability on the ball, at Liverpool he brought in Matip and spend two fortunes on VVD/Alisson.
Since last season already went very well for them I would assume that most of his deliberate adjustments over the summer were aimed at conserving energy, because that's the second weakness of being too reliant on pressing isn't it? It's fine to play games with the aim to outrun and outfight your opposition if you have one a week, but if you do so with the EL/CL or even CWC on top then you're burning out your player's minds and bodies in record time.

Mihai

Tiredness aside they were really really impressive in that last 25 minutes. They took the game away from us and passed us to death. It wasn't hit and hope stuff. That came from us. We looked clueless.

They did what I want us to do at the end of games. Its been a weakness of Ole's so far. Our Kryptonite.

A manager to keep an eye on. Wish I could pronounce his name.
I just call him Solomun.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Been tracking this guy since 1977. Always knew he was the special special one. New boss by the end of August or I’m throwing my Poch poster at Ed Woodward or something...
He lives in Southampton now if you want to find him

ShinjiNinja26

Quality manager, always was.The 9-0 they suffered was just a freak result, and shouldn’t reflect badly on him as a manager. There’s a lot of teams out there that should be seriously looking at this guy.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
What surprised me is that he got his team motivated to play such a high pressing game in a pointless match for them. Nothing to play for yet it looked like they were chasing 3rd place.
Yeah that interested me too, it flew in the face of the commonly-accepted wisdom that teams mired in midtable don't bother about end of season games. Fair play to Hasenhüttl for bucking the trend.

Blood Mage

He has that Klopp aura about him, has turned a squad of no-hopers into a very well drilled unit at Southampton. It would be nice for someone to come along and teach our lads how to press like that.

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins
I really wouldn't mind if they didn't.
Remember they sack the last two managers they got from us!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What surprised me is that he got his team motivated to play such a high pressing game in a pointless match for them. Nothing to play for yet it looked like they were chasing 3rd place.
You saw them the other week v Man. City yeah? Defenders in that game were hurling themsleves on the six yard box to block shots.

Their style is a good match for taking points off top 6/7 particularly with Ings in good form this season. Likes of us and Newcastle simply can't press that well in midfield so you're given free will to control midfield and pick us off.

They've also won at Leicester and Chelsea this season and also got a 2-2 at Arsenal. Beaten Spurs and Man. City at home.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What's forgotten is they had a player sent off after about 10 minutes. Yes you still shouldn't lose by anything close to that scoreline but Leicester were in great form at the time and think they basically scored with every shot on target they had that night.

Three months later they went to Leicester and won.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
This shows how sometimes we must not precipitate into taking conclusions. That 9-0 game was a complete meltdown both defensively and also because Leicester managed to convert most of the chances they created.

I felt for them. Made me remember the Celta 7-0 Benfica. Benfica had a poor squad at that year, but it was a balanced match on paper. They were not playing that much special, things were just going right for them and wrong for us. Even Makelele scored a goal that evening :D

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I have no fecking idea how they had the energy to be pressing that aggressively in the final 10 minutes of the 35th game of the season. Its not like their squad depth is any good either.

El Zoido

Clubs get more money the higher up the table they finish, and the players will be incentivised on this. They’re 12th and could climb more league places in the next three games, their players will likely receive a very nice financial reward for their final league position so it’s in their best interests to try to finish as high up the table as possible.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I have no fecking idea how they had the energy to be pressing that aggressively in the final 10 minutes of the 35th game of the season. Its not like their squad depth is any good either.
It's not like you were just coming back from a 3 month Covid break..

Nickelodeon

This game was pretty similar to when we played Southampton at home in 2013 and a bright coach named Mauricio Pochettino was just into his 2nd PL game. The style of play from Southampton was quite impressive. I would definitely keep an eye out for him.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I think Klopp already made notable adjustments in 2012, when Großkreutz lost his midfield spot and Sahin was brought in to replace Kehl/Bender in DM. 14/15 probably also taught him a lesson, when injuries took out most of his creative players and teams just bypassed all the (gegen-)pressing with hoofball.
When he started at Liverpool he already brought those experiences with him and you can see it somewhat clearly in certain decisions, e.g. the striker position: at Dortmund he used physically imposing no9s like Barrios or Lewandowski to lead the line and he was seriously considering signing Benteke for what would have been silly money, whereas at Liverpool he froze out the latter almost immediately and settled on Firmino relatively quickly. At Dortmund he seemed quite fine with having a goalkeeper in Weidenfeller and CBs in Subotic/Soktratis who had limited ability on the ball, at Liverpool he brought in Matip and spend two fortunes on VVD/Alisson.
Since last season already went very well for them I would assume that most of his deliberate adjustments over the summer were aimed at conserving energy, because that's the second weakness of being too reliant on pressing isn't it? It's fine to play games with the aim to outrun and outfight your opposition if you have one a week, but if you do so with the EL/CL or even CWC on top then you're burning out your player's minds and bodies in record time.
Very good post man, thanks for this. I had no idea that Klopp had a different tactic with Dortmund. We only care about then gen gen pressing that was common between both teams.

RooneyLegend

Yeah of the ball his team play like a big side however on the ball I'm not quite sure what they're trying to execute. Probably why they struggle lower sides. If your team is based on scoring after winning the ball high up the pitch, that won't happen against a Palace, Burnley or Newcastle side that has no interest in playing football in those areas.