Random footballers from years gone by that you remember for no reason...

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
For some reason I always went with Fulham in Fifa in my teens, remember Brian McBride because it mad eme laugh - then you have Luis Boa Morte, Antti Niemi and Steed Malbranque.

About 2005-2009 where I absolutely adored football and would spent most of my time doing something that involved it.

Also, Caner Erkin was my go to signing on Fifa games, hell of a left foot.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Another guy that pops into my head intermittently is Malcolm Christie. Was a striker at I think Derby County and possibly Middlesbrough. I think it may be his name, coupled with his hair, that made him sound like a person from generations before.

He scored a few goals, but another example of a player that wouldn’t get a game at PL level today. Totally insignificant footballer in the grand scheme of things, and can walk down almost any street in the country today unnoticed, apart from possibly being a random rich bloke.

Full bodied red

Another guy that pops into my head intermittently is Malcolm Christie. Was a striker at I think Derby County and possibly Middlesbrough. I think it may be his name, coupled with his hair, that made him sound like a person from generations before.

He scored a few goals, but another example of a player that wouldn’t get a game at PL level today. Totally insignificant footballer in the grand scheme of things, and can walk down almost any street in the country today unnoticed, apart from possibly being a random rich bloke.

Is that the guy who was linked with Mrs Gerrard ??

My ' don't know-why ' is Alan Foggon - played for Newcastle and / or Sunderland and / or Middlesboro and /or Harlepool and / or Blyth Spartans, etc, etc....

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Is that the guy who was linked with Mrs Gerrard ??

My ' don't know-why ' is Alan Foggon - played for Newcastle and / or Sunderland and / or Middlesboro and /or Harlepool and / or Blyth Spartans, etc, etc....
Not sure, that would suggest that he may, in some way, be worthy of being remembered. I can assure you he isn’t!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Michele Padovano
Diego Fuser
Dino Baggio
Might be getting him mixed up but was he that guy who scored the first goal (first hat-trick even) at the new Wembley in an U21 game for Italy? Been trying to remember that players name on and off for a few years!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Another absolute fave (of this kind) of mine is Matt Jansen.

As a young player at Blackburn he was very gifted, a potential United player I think. Rumours were that Fergie likes him too, but in an era where the football wasn’t as technical as it is now, he was a smooth, non-physical forward with style and grace. Injuries fecked him a bit of I recall correctly.

Uniquim

Daniel Amokachi
Paul Rideout
Adam Eckersley
Richard Eckersley
Trym Bergman

Also my mind keeps bringing up Célio Silva, who had a deal agreed with United in 1997 before he failed to receive a work permit. We ended up signing Henning Berg instead after Markus Babbel turned us down. Silva was the first Brazilian player I was excited about. I read about him in a supporters magazine as a kid and was like 'wow, he's from Brazil'. This was around the same time I was excited about Fenerbahçe being a team that existed in Turkey (United played them in Champions League). Anyway, for some reason my mind keeps regurgitating Silva even though he never arrived at United at all.

pacifictheme

Ruel Fox

Slightly off.
I got very little exposure to football when I was a kid (until '94 when I started following football news and matches on TV).
I knew footballer's names from hearing older people talking, Pele, Maradona, Platini, van Basten, Gullit, Rummenigge, Burruchaga, Kempes,t the only names I knew (didn't even know Frank Rijkaards until 1994).
The first footballer I remember watching on TV was Ed de Goey for Netherlands (around late '80), won penalty 5 - 4 or something.

The first English footballer I knew was David Platt.

Oops sorry, Ruel Fox clearly is not random average footballer.

Phil Babb.
We both know why you remember phil babb.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Torben Piechnik, memorable for having a name that sounds like picnic.

Fahad Jawaid

I don't know but for some reason i remember these players they specially had the talent for spectacular.

Thomas Hitzlsperger
Lee Hendrie
Mortan Gamst Pedersen
Elano
Papa Bouba Diop
Mathew Taylor

lysglimt

Scout
I remember a lot so I ll take some players I liked for some reason:

Adrian Heath - he always reminded me of a little squirrel
David Langan - there was a footballcard of him that I remember
Gary Owers - remember him from the Sunderland days in the mid 80s - don't know why.

lysglimt

Scout
Got a question for those of you who remember United-matches in the late 60s and early 70s

United had a defender called Steve James who played about 100 matches - what kind of player was he ?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Juan Pablo Angel
Paolo Wanchope
Steve Lomas

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Kezman.
Carew.
R. Song.
Okocha.
Ikpeba.
Naibet.
Neukoman.
Harada.
Defoe.
G. LeSaux.
Karpin.
Kovacevic.
Milosevic.
Mostovoi.
Onopko.
Dutruel.
Dugarry.
Christanval.
Munitis.
Amavisca.
Carboni.
Duscher.

Last edited:

Toblerone92

Michael Ricketts
Nick Barmby
Shaun Goater
Kenny Lunt
Dave Brammer
Martin Pringle
Darius Vassell
Shaka Hislop
Lucas Radebe
Ugo Ehiogu
Darren Anderton
Shola Ameobi

ReddBalls

Jan Koller. Pretty onedimensional guy, but he scored a lot of goals both for club and country. I used Jan to torture a friend in FIFA, absolutely killing it with Dortmund and him as the main striker. Just saying Kollers name out loud struck fear into his heart. He was pretty good at FIFA, but up against Koller he crumbled. Everytime.

Minkaro

I was just looking up Steven Pienaar to see what he’s up to now. Completely forgot he went to Spurs.

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
Shaka Hislop first came in my mind when I saw the thread title.
Weird.

Uncle Pat

Darren Eadie - Norwich

Graeme Tomlinson - United. Don't believe he ever played a league game for us but I'll always remember him from one of those United on Video VHS tapes. Think it was 94 we signed him.

Bateman80

Stuart Ripley
Jason Wilcox
Darren Huckerby
Steve Stone
Jan Arge Fjortoft
Jody Morris
Cobi Jones
Colin McKee
Phil Masinga

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Another absolute fave (of this kind) of mine is Matt Jansen.

As a young player at Blackburn he was very gifted, a potential United player I think. Rumours were that Fergie likes him too, but in an era where the football wasn’t as technical as it is now, he was a smooth, non-physical forward with style and grace. Injuries fecked him a bit of I recall correctly.
Was reading an interview with him in the last couple of days randomly. More specifically it was a taxi crashing into his moped in Italy that left him in a coma that completely ruined his career. Was on the brink of making it real big at that point. Very sad story

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Was reading an interview with him in the last couple of days randomly. More specifically it was a taxi crashing into his moped in Italy that left him in a coma that completely ruined his career. Was on the brink of making it real big at that point. Very sad story
Yea, I remember it now you mentioned. He was a future England player I reckon. Think he’d played for the 21s even.