Random footballers from years gone by that you remember for no reason...

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Yuri Zhirkov
Ben Haim
Joze Altidore. PL flop. Toronto FC legend.
Steed Malbranque
Chris Eagles

Plg91

Youssi Benayoun.

Because I remember reading a banter article in Goal.com about alternate professions for some footballers and there big picture of him with the caption “Yay, I made £2,5 today - Benayoun - beggar”. i thought it was funny at the time.

Red Comet

Jan Åge Fjørtoft - somehow his name stands out to me whenever my team played against Swindon Town on CM1.
William Prunier
Dean Holdsworth
Paul Warhurst - again another one from CM1, he's always on my sub list being able to play DMA C on CM1

Chipper

Adulterer.
Andy Preece
Martin Carruthers
John Pemberton
Trevor Benjamin
Kiki Musampa
Nicky Banger
Jonathan Gould
Michael Frontzek
Joey Beauchamp
Ulrich van Gobbel
Darren Caskey

Last edited:

Oranges038

Decided to do a team with the first player for each position that popped into my head, this would be classic 442 relegation battling side.

Dean Kiely
Pamarot Repka Bramble Tarnat
Rommedal Quashie Prutton Robert
Zigic Mbesuma​

Rodgerzzz

Matteo Brighi - That Italian midfielder who was inexplicably rated at 97 on Fifa 03
Danny Invincible - Aussie who used to play for Swindon & Kilmarnock, saw someone mention Max Power and this dude popped straight into my head

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Michael Chopra
Dean Windass
Michel Bastos
Joe Ledley
Clint Dempsey
Mark Viduka

Brophs

The One and Only
Oh, hello mental image of Chris Marsden chipping a ball aimlessly across the midfield versus Everton.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Nicky Weaver.

Seem to remember a Manchester derby where Schmeichel (now at City) was injured in the warm-up, and a PA announcement came out for Weaver (their third choice) to make his way to the City dressing room, but he was already shit-faced.

Also Carlo Nash who lived in jogging bottoms.

Blood Mage

Hugo Rodallega and Michu. Two shite players who played like Ronaldinho for two or three games a season.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Petter Rudi
Gus Uhlenbeek
Gudni Bergsson
Peter Thorne
Iliyan Kiryakov
Franz Carr

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Hugo Rodallega and Michu. Two shite players who played like Ronaldinho for two or three games a season.
Michu's first season at Swansea was great, to be fair. 18 goals in 35 games as Swansea finished 9th.

Revaulx

Peter Davenport
Bought as Hughes’s replacement, a role to which he was completely unsuited, at a time when the whole team was in meltdown.

Dd a decent job alongside McClair after he’d been brought in though, and Fergie has said that getting rid of him when Hughes came back was his first mistake at United.

Revaulx

I've just googled him, turns out he's on the sex offenders register because he wanked himself off in his van in front of a mum and teenage daughter.
Claimed he was in a bad place mentally following the death of his dad, Dave Shipperley, who I remember playing for Gillingham in the mid 70s.

He was sold while I was living near there (to Charlton?) and I think his replacement was a young Steve Bruce.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
So in a thread about “random irrelevant players from the 90s” these are some of the names people have come up with? I gave up at page 4.

Tim Flowers
A great goalie for much of his career. Won 11 caps for England at a time when we had some great keepers. Like Seaman.

Temuri Ketsbaia
Stephane Chapuisat
Decent internationals.

Jean Pierre Papin
A truly world class player. What?

Desailly and Zola
You MUST be joking.

Kezman.
Carew.
R. Song.
Okocha.
G. LeSaux.
Karpin.
Kovacevic.
Milosevic.
Onopko.
Dugarry.
Carboni.
Duscher.
Not the worst post in here but there are some really good players on that list. Doesn’t fit the criteria at all.

Abel Balbo
Daniel Fonseca
Pierluigi Casiraghi
Aron Winter
You’re mental. Three iconic strikers from the heyday of Serie A and a top international midfielder. What?

Poborsky
Kezman
Dino Baggio
Mario Jardel
4 more good players who made a decent mark on the game.

Sonny Anderson
Decent and well known enough not to be on this list.

Angelo Di Livio
Pierre Littbarski
Careca
Di Livio of that great Juventus team? World Cup winning Littbarski with 94 caps for Germany? Careca as in one of the best strikers in the world through the mid-late eighties, early nineties Careca?

Tino asprilla is first player that comes to mind.
One of the best Colombian players ever?

Ruud Gullit.
Obviously.

Gazika Zabala Mendieta
6th highest transfer fee of all time when he moved to Lazio. The bar for random irrelevance is high.

Zvonomir Boban
Asprilla
Alvaro Recoba
Di Livio
Gaizka Mendietta
Claudio Lopez
Kily Gonzalez
A who’s who of quality players from the 90s and early noughties.

Maybe I didn’t understand this thread but the quote from the OP stated:

Random irrelevant players always pop into my head from my childhood watching football. Often wonder what they are up to these days, or just think back nostalgically about how they played. Some I remember because they were just symbolic of utter rubbish plodders who used to occupy the PL in the 90s, early 00s

None of those names above even come close to fitting :lol:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Thought I was done but….

Kanu Nwankwo
Yordan Letchkov
Christian Karembeu
All very good and well known players.

Jocelyn Angloma
Same

Vladimir Jugović.
A great player

Faustino Asprilla!
Can’t believe Asprilla has been mentioned 3 times by posters. He’s a fecking legend of the game.

Marcelo Salas
Ivan Zamarano
Firstly Salas was fecking amazing, especially pre-injury. And Real Madrid, Inter Milán and Chile legend Ivan Zamorano is a random plodder from the 90s?

Christ on a bike, some of these names.

IrishMcD

Just off the top of my head, players that I remember either from sticker books or from the back garden world cups we used to plays as kids (we used to do our own commentary and everything. Good times)

Mikel Madar
Tony Meola
Gerry Peyton
Ian Butterworth
Tab Ramos
Daniel Timofte
Robert Jarni
Enzo Sheiffo
Marco Etcheverry
Danny Boffin

Hoof the ball

So in a thread about “random irrelevant players from the 90s” these are some of the names people have come up with? I gave up at page 4.

A great goalie for much of his career. Won 11 caps for England at a time when we had some great keepers. Like Seaman.

Decent internationals.

A truly world class player. What?

You MUST be joking.

Not the worst post in here but there are some really good players on that list. Doesn’t fit the criteria at all.

You’re mental. Three iconic strikers from the heyday of Serie A and a top international midfielder. What?

4 more good players who made a decent mark on the game.

Decent and well known enough not to be on this list.

Di Livio of that great Juventus team? World Cup winning Littbarski with 94 caps for Germany? Careca as in one of the best strikers in the world through the mid-late eighties, early nineties Careca?

One of the best Colombian players ever?

Obviously.

6th highest transfer fee of all time when he moved to Lazio. The bar for random irrelevance is high.

A who’s who of quality players from the 90s and early noughties.

Maybe I didn’t understand this thread but the quote from the OP stated:

Random irrelevant players always pop into my head from my childhood watching football. Often wonder what they are up to these days, or just think back nostalgically about how they played. Some I remember because they were just symbolic of utter rubbish plodders who used to occupy the PL in the 90s, early 00s

None of those names above even come close to fitting :lol:
Calm down.

Would you be happier if I just threw out Vant Schip, Fortunato and Poggi? :lol:

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Van 't Schip was a good player for Ajax
I mean at least it would make sense.
I think a lot of people didn't fully read the first post, just looked at the thread title and treated it as another "name a random old player" thread. Rather than one with an emphasis on irrelevant mediocrity/rubbish.

flappyjay

Marlon Harewood
Matt Derbyshire
Ali Al-Habsi
Cattermole
Shola Ameobi
Senderos
Doyle