Rangnick's Press Conference | Newcastle v Manchester United

Dante

Average bang
Covid status
Yes, as you know, we had last week, the last training session on Thursday, from there today, we had eight few players, three goalkeepers and then we closed the training ground for four days in order to break the chain and today was the third day of training this week.
We started on Tuesday, then trained yesterday and today and we have 25 field players, so quite apart from Paul Pogba, he's the only one missing out, everyone else is on board. The development of the last week was extremely positive.
We will train tomorrow and there will be a day off for the players on Christmas Day and then we have the last training session here on Sunday and fly to Newcastle Sunday evening.

Dante

Average bang
Rangnick wants five substitutions
As far as I remember the four substitutues were implemented, it was decided every team could substitute five players when Covid started 18 months ago and I think it was the right decision to have more options to change players, to save energy for players, especially if they have only just recovered from Covid. And the same is true right now, we have a similiar situation to as we had one and a half years ago so I wouldn't see any situation why it coudln't be the same as one and a half years ago. England is the only country where they don't allow five subs... you're still allowed eight field players on the teamsheet, you should be able to replace five, you will always have five players on the bench who cannot be substituted on and cannot play.

Dante

Average bang
Rangnick excited for traditional Xmas fixtures but calls for discussion on League Cup and replays
You know that better than I do what a big tradition it is to play on Boxing Day, 27th, even on the 30th or 2nd of January. I think we should stick to and respect this big tradition. I'm looking forward to that for, first time in my coaching career, but there could be two other issues and have been discussed in the past.

England is the only top league that plays two cup competitions, in France they abolished the second one a year or two ago, we are the only country that plays two cup competitions, this is something we could speak about and discuss, I know the reason for that the League Cup is still kept for the third and fourth division teams to improve the financial situations of those clubs. But a tight calendar, too many games, this is something to speak and discuss.

The other issue changed is you would have to have a replay, this had been changed now, I think this is a good idea. In other countries, you play extra time and penalties, and never have replays, those are topics you could speak about.

Dante

Average bang
How challenging has this week been?
As far as I could see today in training, they're all in good shape, all the players they did their homework, had their schedule to train at home and they stick to that schedule and that programme, From what I saw today in training I can say most of them if not all of them might be available but I might have to make some different decisions who will be in the squad and the starting XI.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Where's the Newcastle match day thread?

Dante

Average bang
What are you hoping to hear with regards to player welfare?

Most of the things we have already spoken about. I think it would of great help to have 5 substitutes. This would also increase and improve the emotional situation within the squad. Because it's a big difference if you can give 5 players game time. It's also about game time. And therefore I would be much more in favour of having 5 subs. As I said, in others countries they do that. I think we should seriously think about that once again. I haven't spoken with my players about it. But I don't need to because I know most of my players would be in favour.

Apart from that, I think the Premier League will try everything to keep the league safe, to keep the situation around the players safe. We do that regularly ourselves - encourage players to behave in a disciplined way with regards to contacts. We also need to make sure that we have most of the players vaccinated. As far as I know we have a high record of vaccinated players in our club. But still the past two weeks show that even if you've been vaccinated 2 or 3 times, you can still catch the virus - especially the new virus. So you're not being prevented from catching it, but you are being protected from severe symptoms. As far as I know most of our players who tested positive had very, very weak symptoms and didn't suffer severely.

BuzzKillington

5 subs, bin the league cup and fa cup replays. All sensible proposals. The pushback you’d get from that would be from lower league clubs re the cup proposals. That could be remedied by giving them a larger slice of the premier league licensing.

I like Ralf, a sensible and pragmatic person without the cheesiness and toothy faux nice guy persona of Klopp. Also has an actual opinion and suggested solution on things rather than Ole’s vibes response to every question during a presser.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Cruises into England and starts saying how we should bin one of the cups?
We're not even in it mate, we got knocked out, and you'll be gone before we're back in it next year :lol:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
We're not even in it mate, we got knocked out, and you'll be gone before we're back in it next year :lol:
Coming over here, scrapping our competitions...

Godfather

He's right too. Nobody gives two shits about the Carabao cup.

I like Ralf, a sensible and pragmatic person without the cheesiness and toothy faux nice guy persona of Klopp. Also has an actual opinion and suggested solution on things rather than Ole’s vibes response to every question during a presser.
klopp basically has the same anger issues that Mourinho did but gets away with it because he insults refs with a big grin and laugh ….
Klopp ” Ref your an absolute wxxker and betted on City to win the league, hahahahaha :lol::lol::lol::lol:
The FA will not be taking action against Klopp for insulting the referee and accusing him of match fixing

Blood Mage

I have mixed feelings about the idea of scrapping the league cup. That competition means a lot to lower league clubs and would reek of a commercial decision rather than a player welfare decision. Five substitutions and getting rid of FA Cup replays however are no-brainer decisions that I can't believe haven't been implemented yet.

caid

Keep the league cup but the teams that have qualified for Europe don't play in it.
I'd prefer if it was an under 21's competition for all premier league clubs. A lot of the weaker teams in the league dont take it at all seriously either. You'd hope it'd maintain some of the money lower division teams get from it too.

Daengophile

There are some good ideas in here.

Let me throw in another suggestion

No more than 5 players in a match day League cup squad can have played more than 50% of the premier League matches thus far

copen1945

There are some good ideas in here.

Let me throw in another suggestion

No more than 5 players in a match day League cup squad can have played more than 50% of the premier League matches thus far
Unless Man City are excluded altogether, the more restrictions there are, the more likely they will win. They have the deepest squad. Their second best eleven will win this competition easily against the second best of the rest of the league.

Daengophile

Unless Man City are excluded altogether, the more restrictions there are, the more likely they will win. They have the deepest squad. Their second best eleven will win this competition easily against the second best of the rest of the league.
Then we should tie their legs together

Daengophile

I'm assuming that Rangnick's thoughts about 5 subs are to insure against being knackered by the additional workload expected from the new pressing

Redlyn

Or can play just reserves and Youth.
It used to be like this. We used to field the second string and give youth players a run out. Then city got good and no one can compete without more or less your best team.

Real Name

Cant believe 5 subs rule was scrapped and even more of a shock it isnt reintroduced back already.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
klopp basically has the same anger issues that Mourinho did but gets away with it because he insults refs with a big grin and laugh ….
Klopp ” Ref your an absolute wxxker and betted on City to win the league, hahahahaha :lol::lol::lol::lol:
The FA will not be taking action against Klopp for insulting the referee and accusing him of match fixing
Klopp is basically Steve Fleming from The Thick of It