Rank the Treble winners

Inter deserve more credit since they stopped the most popular choice for the best team ever. They used their players absolutely perfectly that season.

As for that Barcelona team, I can never separate them from the smoking gun of the Spanish doping scandal, and now the refereeing thing.

Blackwidow

Nobody could beat United 98/99 when it mattered. 33 games unbeaten in all competitions from Christmas Day. The only other team there to do that I believe was Bayern 19/20 but they didn’t have to play away legs in the CL because of Covid.

It was also the most difficult on the list as the first one, less financial disparity, more pressure. Far more adversity and drama in the matches, tough opposition. And one of the most iconic teams of all-time.
That 12/13 CL team only had a loss in the CL (BATE) and one in the Bundesliga (Leverkusen) in October. The next match they lost was in the league in April 2014 when they already had won the Bundesliga.

The 19/20 won all 11 matches averaging 3.91 goals a match. They were inside an away streak without losing (and only drawing 3 times) from 2017 to that Villarreal match in 2022. They only played 2 matches (the 8:2 against Barcelona and the 3:0 against Lyon) in just one leg. Before that final week everybody told that it was a disadvantage that Bayern did not have a rhythm because of the long break before that tournament. After it it is different? The team played better away than at home - now it is an advantage that they did not have away matches? Yes, it for sure was different than the usual tournaments. But every team knew about the conditions - Bayern just was prepared better...

KeanoMagicHat

That 12/13 CL team only had a loss in the CL (BATE) and one in the Bundesliga (Leverkusen) in October. The next match they lost was in the league in April 2014 when they already had won the Bundesliga.

The 19/20 won all 11 matches averaging 3.91 goals a match. They were inside an away streak without losing (and only drawing 3 times) from 2017 to that Villarreal match in 2022. They only played 2 matches (the 8:2 against Barcelona and the 3:0 against Lyon) in just one leg. Before that final week everybody told that it was a disadvantage that Bayern did not have a rhythm because of the long break before that tournament. After it it is different? The team played better away than at home - now it is an advantage that they did not have away matches? Yes, it for sure was different than the usual tournaments. But every team knew about the conditions - Bayern just was prepared better...
They lost to Arsenal in the CL knockout round. Won the tie but still lost a game.

Bayern well and truly deserved the CL in 2020. It’s just that you’re less likely to lose a game when you only have one leg instead of two in the quarters and semis.

But that 19/20 team was amazing, I’m not sure anyone would have beaten them anyway. It’s one of the most balanced teams I’ve ever seen in terms of having defence, attack, physical, technical in the right positions.

Anyway all these teams are great because they won everything so it’s just personal preference really.

OverratedOpinion

1 to 6 - All treble winners with no corruption charges.

7 - All treble winners with 115 corruption charges.

Tyrion

So did Di Matteo's Chelsea though. That's one of my all time favorite CL games with ridiculous drama and subplots left and right but I don't think that can be mistaken for quality. Brilliant achievement but we can't compare that team in terms of quality to the rest on that list. They were closer to Chelsea winners than the other elite winners of the CL.
Maybe. I think Matteos Chelsea winning it was almost a fluke. They finished 5th or 6th in the league while Inter won everything. They were the best defensive team I've seen in the last 15 years.

If I could pick any team in that time to defend a 1-0 lead, it'd be them. They weren't as flash as the others but they were the best defensively imo.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Why isn't the Liverpool treble winners of 2001 on that list?

Theonas

Scout
Maybe. I think Matteos Chelsea winning it was almost a fluke. They finished 5th or 6th in the league while Inter won everything. They were the best defensive team I've seen in the last 15 years.

If I could pick any team in that time to defend a 1-0 lead, it'd be them. They weren't as flash as the others but they were the best defensively imo.
I'd say the Bayern side was the best defensively because you could hardly come close to their goal or counter them which at least you could to Barcelona. But I assume you mean defending deep in your own area with men behind the ball. For that, I'd pick Atlético Madrid over that period simply because they have done it over a number of years and produced multiple performances of that type whereas Inter only had that one season where they capitalized on the momentum generated by Mourinho and his war like approach in that period. I don't think it was based on some sound defensive foundation which is evidenced by their lame performances before and after 2010. Inter's win was not as fluky as Chelsea's by any means but it was still the flukiest out of all the treble winners as far as I remember.

JagUTD

1. Manchester United
2. Inter
3. Bayern
4. Bayern
5. DSQ
6. DSQ
7. DSQ

JagUTD

Always surprised me Madrid have never won the treble tbh.

And what about Celtic? Not their modern trebles which they may as well get handed to them at the start of the season but the one in 67? Or we not including the old European Cup stuff? Think they won the lot though, a quadruple. Least that's what my mate who never witnessed any of it but constantly brings it up before Celtic get thumped in Europe tells me.

PSV

Barca 2014-15 beat the four other reigning champions of the top 5 leagues in the knockout to get there, can't really beat that.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
1. Manchester United 98-99
2. Inter Milan 09-10
3. Barcelona 08-09
4. Bayern Munich 12-13
5. Manchester City 22-23
6. Barcelona 14-15
7. Bayern Munich 19-20

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Barca 09 (really, it should be the 2011 team here)
Munich 13
Barca 15
Inter 10
United 99
City 23
Munich 20

Plg91

It is mental that despite 14 UCL wins, Real Madrid never complete a treble.

cafecillos

It is mental that despite 14 UCL wins, Real Madrid never complete a treble.
That's because they quite often all but give up on one or more competitions rather early in order to be competitive in Europe. I think they "only" have like 3 or 4 league + UCL doubles too.

foolsgold

And what about Celtic? Not their modern trebles which they may as well get handed to them at the start of the season but the one in 67? Or we not including the old European Cup stuff? Think they won the lot though, a quadruple. Least that's what my mate who never witnessed any of it but constantly brings it up before Celtic get thumped in Europe tells me.
Qintuple. Won the Glasgow cup too, scored 196 goals over the season. One of the finest footballing achievements of all time.

Revan

Assumptionman
Barca 2009 was not as great as people say. I actually think it was the worse version of Barca under Pep, and worse than the other treble winning team (the Luis Enrique one). It is just that the team became so good after that season, but did not manage to win the Spanish Cup when they won the other too that is gets mentioned in these discussions. Barca 2011 was significantly better in pretty much everything.

In fact, Barca 2009 would not have made the final of it wasn’t for the biggest crooked referee performance in the history of UCL. And while they defeated United fair and square, I think we were not as good as the previous 2 seasons. We won the league only with 80 points, dropping a significant big lead, got humiliated by Liverpool in Old Trafford, and were barely able to go past Porto in the quarters. We were not as good as the previous season IMO.

Barca 2011 is the best I have seen, but it didn’t win the Spanish Cup so out of the competition. So I would go with Bayern 2013 as the best treble winning team, closely followed by City 2023. The others a bit below them, but honestly all were so good that any team could have defeated the others.*

* Blasphemy to say in this forum but United 99 was the worst in the sense that the football had evolved so much (keeping the ball forever, pressing) that they would have had an extremely tough time against ball possession teams (all except Inter 2010), and in a league between these teams where every team plays the others twice, I think United would have ranked last. But then, I think that United 2008 was quite better than United 99.

ShinjiNinja26

I don’t know how anyone can put those cheating bastards City in their lists at all, never mind having them any higher than rock bottom. There’s question marks over the legitimacy of Barcelona’s as well.

Revan

Assumptionman
I don’t know how anyone can put those cheating bastards City in their lists at all, never mind having them any higher than rock bottom. There’s question marks over the legitimacy of Barcelona’s as well.
Because the question is what was the best team, not which team was assembled most fairly. Their cheating (assuming it gets confirmed) is purely based on how they signed players, got sponsors etc, nothing with regards of buying referees, doping or whatever. And some of the teams who we are comparing, like Barcelona or Inter had also outside financing, just that it came before FFP.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Funny how the discussion always comes up how United 2008 was better than 99 (maybe for some because it had Ronaldo and probably because some didn’t actually watch the 99 team).
Even if this was true they didn’t win the treble. These thread(s) are about treble winners and not about “better CL or league winners”, otherwise a few other teams including Madrid’s or Milan’s CL winning teams would also be among the best.

united_99

Barca 2009 was not as great as people say. I actually think it was the worse version of Barca under Pep, and worse than the other treble winning team (the Luis Enrique one). It is just that the team became so good after that season, but did not manage to win the Spanish Cup when they won the other too that is gets mentioned in these discussions. Barca 2011 was significantly better in pretty much everything.

In fact, Barca 2009 would not have made the final of it wasn’t for the biggest crooked referee performance in the history of UCL. And while they defeated United fair and square, I think we were not as good as the previous 2 seasons. We won the league only with 80 points, dropping a significant big lead, got humiliated by Liverpool in Old Trafford, and were barely able to go past Porto in the quarters. We were not as good as the previous season IMO.

Barca 2011 is the best I have seen, but it didn’t win the Spanish Cup so out of the competition. So I would go with Bayern 2013 as the best treble winning team, closely followed by City 2023. The others a bit below them, but honestly all were so good that any team could have defeated the others.*

* Blasphemy to say in this forum but United 99 was the worst in the sense that the football had evolved so much (keeping the ball forever, pressing) that they would have had an extremely tough time against ball possession teams (all except Inter 2010), and in a league between these teams where every team plays the others twice, I think United would have ranked last. But then, I think that United 2008 was quite better than United 99.
We won the league with 90 (not 80) points in 2009. We were more or less equally good in 2008 and 2009. Maybe more focused in 2008. The decline started after 2009.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I have no recollection of any of these:

Bayern Munich 12-13
Barcelona 14-15
Bayern Munich 19-20

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Funny how the discussion always comes up how United 2008 was better than 99 (maybe for some because it had Ronaldo and probably because some didn’t actually watch the 99 team).
Even if this was true they didn’t win the treble. These thread(s) are about treble winners and not about “better CL or league winners”, otherwise a few other teams including Madrid’s or Milan’s CL winning teams would also be among the best.
Maybe because the level of play of the 2008 team was perceived by some to be better than that of the 1999 team? It's not as simple as "3 > 2 so 1999 > 2008".

Debatable on the bolded, especially if you're looking at a single season, as that is the focus of this thread

Revan

Assumptionman
We won the league with 90 (not 80) points in 2009. We were more or less equally good in 2008 and 2009. Maybe more focused in 2008. The decline started after 2009.
Yep, you are correct. We won with 80 two years later.

It is a bit blurry cause too many years since then, but if I am not mistaken, 08-09 was the year when we had that crazy run of not conceding, and grinding many 1-0 victories. Ronaldo throwing a tantrum and not being focused, Tevez getting benched for Berbatov who didn't play that well, Scholes being relegated to the bench for important matches. We were quite good, but I do not think we were as good as the previous season. 1-4 to Liverpool in particular was incredibly shocking to me, considering that we got used to doing extremely well against Liverpool.

united_99

Maybe because the level of play of the 2008 team was perceived by some to be better than that of the 1999 team? It's not as simple as "3 > 2 so 1999 > 2008".

Debatable on the bolded, especially if you're looking at a single season, as that is the focus of this thread
It’s a treble thread and clear from the op that it includes the league, CL and the main domestic cup. So that’s the “focus of this thread”.
The level of play of the 99 team was great at that time. Just like the level of 2008 at their time. Just like current top teams’ level is great today but no one knows what the level of play in 10, 15, 25 years will be.
My point is that it is a treble thread and not “almost winning the treble, playing at a higher level but not winning the treble, or whatever.”

KeanoMagicHat

Or you could say it was the best because football was much more even, it was harder. An English club hadn’t won the CL since the ban. Ferguson hadn’t won the CL. They we’re also the first on this list to do it. So in many ways it was more notable because they were pioneers. They scored 128 goals in 98/99, they would be a goal threat against any of them and showed by far the best adversity, they wouldn’t have a problem falling behind in a game and grinding it back. Whereas City I think for example aren’t quite as resilient.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's a bit random to rank "treble" winners in this way, given that the domestic cup's status wasn't/isn't the same in all countries/federations.

When United won the treble in '99, the FA Cup was still considered a major/significant trophy. The domestic cups in Spain, Italy and Germany have never been held in quite the same esteem.

You can, of course, still attempt to rank the teams - as in: how good were they, all things considered. But the treble "thing" isn't actually a "thing" across Europe. It's much more of an actual "thing" in England due to the (traditional/historic) status of the FA Cup.

Charlie Foley

We got 90 points in the league in 08/09

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It’s a treble thread and clear from the op that it includes the league, CL and the main domestic cup. So that’s the “focus of this thread”.
The level of play of the 99 team was great at that time. Just like the level of 2008 at their time. Just like current top teams’ level is great today but no one knows what the level of play in 10, 15, 25 years will be.
My point is that it is a treble thread and not “almost winning the treble, playing at a higher level but not winning the treble, or whatever.”
Ok thread czar

united_99

Or you could say it was the best because football was much more even, it was harder. An English club hadn’t won the CL since the ban. Ferguson hadn’t won the CL. They we’re also the first on this list to do it. So in many ways it was more notable because they were pioneers. They scored 128 goals in 98/99, they would be a goal threat against any of them and showed by far the best adversity, they wouldn’t have a problem falling behind in a game and grinding it back. Whereas City I think for example aren’t quite as resilient.
Yep, it’s completely different circumstances. In 99 the Premier League was only the 5th or 6th best league. Our team with class of 92 as core were in their grand total of only 3rd European campaign (as back then only 1st and later only 1st and 2nd place in the PL got a CL spot). So a United or Spurs or Atalanta or Dortmund of today have more CL experience than the United team of 99 had.
Then spending wise there were huge gaps. If you take a 10 year period leading up to 99 (including the 99 season) United were only the 12th highest spenders in Europe. And the difference wasn’t small either. Some teams (with Inter at the top) had literally spent twice as much or even more than United.
Whereas nowadays the 3 biggest spenders in England are also the 3 biggest in Europe and the difference between their spending is relatively small.
So if we just stick to United, while what our 2008 team achieved was very impressive in its own way, due to top 4 being in the CL, that team already had huge top European experience, plus the PL was the best league in the world at that time and our spending / resources were closer to the spending of the top European clubs / oil clubs than they were in 99.
That’s why for me the 99 success was much harder to achieve and therefore more impressive than the 2008 success.