Solskjaer
Sheringham
McClair
Berbatov
Van Persie
Saha
Hernandez
Wellbeck

(Not right to include players still making their legacy at the club)

facund

Based on their peak form at the club (say over a 6 month duration):
The first three are pretty much equal in my eyes.
Cantona
RVN
RVP
Yorke
Cole
Rooney
Hughes
McClair
Sheringham
Saha
Solskjaer
Hernandez
Berbatov

Based on the sum of their United career:
Rooney
Cole
McClair
Hughes
Solskjaer
Cantona

poleglass red

Good to see Cole getting the kudos he deserves from our fans. He was exceptional for us, yet so underrated by other teams fans when discussing great players from previous seasons. I think that twat Hoddle when he made his stupid statement about needing multiple chances to score, kind of defined his status for many fans from other clubs. His partnership in 99 with Yorke was poetry. Great player.

facund

Good to see Cole getting the kudos he deserves from our fans. He was exceptional for us, yet so underrated by other teams fans when discussing great players from previous seasons. I think that twat Hoddle when he made his stupid statement about needing multiple chances to score, kind of defined his status for many fans from other clubs. His partnership in 99 with Yorke was poetry. Great player.
So very true, Hoddle was a bit of a gobsh*te. When you get in to a discussion about Cole someone will always state "well he took 5/10/100 chances to score". Seemingly this negates the fact that he did actually score and assist an awful lot of goals, never mind that it wasn't really true.
Until Ruud came along, he was the most versatile/complete finisher I had seen at United (Late 80's onwards).
It speaks of the quality of English strikers during that time that he was unable to get a run of games at international level and further, that it didn't cause any real scandal or scrutiny among the press or fans.