Ranking of trophies in order of importance

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Right so instead of clogging the top 4 race thread, I thought I'd make a thread on this.

In what order what you rank the honours available to teams in the premier league. I'd go with.

Champions League
Premier League
Europa League
FA Cup
Club World Cup
Super Cup
League Cup
Community Shield

Don't think I've missed any out and I'm unsure whether or not I'd move the league cup above the super cup.

SER19

Premier league
Champions league
Fa cup
Europa league
Club World Cup
League cup
Super cup
Community shield

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Super Cup above League Cup? Super Cup is a nothing cup like the Community Shield. It's the last friendly before the season starts.

Club World Cup is also meaningless. It's in fact the worst cup of all as it takes time and energy from other competitions.

Varies from season to season whether CL or PL tops the league. Anything besides the league and Europe is just a bonus.

RyRy11

Champions League
Premier League
Europa League
FA Cup
League Cup
Club World Cup
Super Cup
Community Shield

Couldn't give a shit about the last 3 tbh

pacifictheme

Premier League (by a distance)
Champions League
FA Cup
Europa League
League Cup
Charity Shield
Super Cup
World Club Cup

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
PL
UCL
EFL - first available trophy
FA

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
It depends what criteria I use to rank them tbh. If I'm ranking them by which I want us to win the most, I'd go with this because a club our size needs to win more CLs :

Champions League
Premier League
Europa League
FA Cup
League Cup
Club World Cup
Super Cup
Community Shield

If I'm ranking them by what is the most significant or biggest achievement, swap the PL with the UCL. There is no better marker of a great team than one that is consistently good over a whole season, rather than a handful of Cup game.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Champions League
Premier League
Europa League
FA Cup
League Cup
Club World Cup
Super Cup
Community Shield

Yeah this one for me

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Champions League
Premier League
Europa League
FA Cup
League Cup
Club World Cup
Super Cup
Community Shield

Agree with this, I'm surprised anyone would put the Premiership above the CL.

Cristiano_RAFC

The Alternative Premier League Table is obviously the most important one with the Golden Gloves Trophy as a close second. The rest are equally important in third.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Agree with this, I'm surprised anyone would put the Premiership above the CL.
If you took a 5 year window and I offered you 3 league titles and a couple of 4th places. Or 5 4th places and 1 Champions league, which would you take?

I know that's not the OP but there's a weighting element there.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
If you took a 5 year window and I offered you 3 league titles and a couple of 4th places. Or 5 4th places and 1 Champions league, which would you take?
3 league titles is more valuable than 1 CL trophy.

But surely 1 Champions League trophy beats 1 Premier League title.

The Champions League is the most prestigious trophy in club football.

peridigm

We really do need to let other teams win the PL so I'd give CL a slight edge in what I'd like to see us win the most. With that said, we've dropped so far out of place it's time we get the title back ASAP.

It terms of what is obtainable this season, surely it's EL as we've not won it and it carries the most weight for us at this time.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Champions League
Premier League
Europa League
FA Cup
Club World Cup
League Cup
Super Cup
Community Shield

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
3 league titles is more valuable than 1 CL trophy.

But surely 1 Champions League trophy beats 1 Premier League title.

The Champions League is the most prestigious trophy in club football.
Absolutely. I'd take another CL over another Premier league. But in certain circumstances I'd take the league. I'm wandering away from the thread really.

If Arsenal won the Champions League next year but not another Premier League until 2030 it's pretty hollow to be able to call yourself the best team in Europe for a season.

To romanticise a little; It's always good to be able to say you're the best team in your own country. Having that whole 9 month period of focus on one thing. Picking up the newspaper, talking in the pub, the run in with a game a week, pressure, seeing your team show up. Miss that so much. The CL is only a big deal for 3 months of the season and games are weeks apart. It doesn't feel real or even truly important until the Semi Final stage.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
It doesn't feel real or even truly important until the Semi Final stage.
The games in the Ro16 so far have been brilliant and I'm saying that as a Barca fan.

The league has my attention for the majority of the season, but I remember getting goosebumps before the 2006 final, the first Champions League final I've ever seen my club play. I don't recall ever getting that feeling for any league game.

Although the number of league titles won is indeed a better barometer for a clubs' greatness, because winning leagues depends less on luck and more on consistency.

Gina11

Supports
Liverpool FC
Champions League
Alternative Premier League
FA Fair Play League
Premier League
Europa League
FA Cup
League Cup
Club World Cup
Super Cup
Community Shield

Oscie

The CL if you don't win the league, for me, is just another cup competition. Maybe more glamorous than most but still just that. The league is monumental whether you win the CL or not. Always feel uneasy about someone winning the CL after finishing 5th, or something, in the league that season.

"Kings of Europe....also-rans domestically"

Nah. For the CL to be the pinnacle it has to go hand-in-hand with conquering your own domestic league that season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Champions League(worth 2-3 league titles imho)
Domestic League
FA Cup
Europa League
All Other domestic Cups
Club World Cup
All other domestic league cups
UEFA supercup
Domestic supercup

Giggs86

The classic major three trophies, in that order:
Champions League
Premier League
FA Cup

Then the minor trophies:
League Cup
Europa League

And then the glorified friendlies:
Super Cup
Community Shield
Club World Cup

Jaybomb

Club World Cup means you're the best in the world

Champions League means you're the best in Europe.

Premier League means you're the best in England.

For me... Club World Cup > Champions League > Premier League > FA Cup > Europa League > EFL Cup > Super Cup > Community Shield.

Of course, winning the Club World Cup is worthless unless you win the Champions League. Its basically the certification that you're the best in the world rather than just in Europe. Ideally, you would win the league and Champions League in the one season to truly cement yourself as the best.

peridigm

CL is a possible 13 games against 7 teams from a pool of 31 of which you cannot play against some in early stages. Luck of draw plays a big part in odds.

PL is 38 games against 19 teams over a long season where form, injuries, and scheduling plays a big part.

My opinion is the PL is harder to obtain over CL but CL is more prestigious due to caliber of opposition to a point.

Giggs86

Club World Cup means you're the best in the world

Champions League means you're the best in Europe.

Premier League means you're the best in England.

For me... Club World Cup > Champions League > Premier League > FA Cup > Europa League > EFL Cup > Super Cup > Community Shield.
It most certainly does not. It's a glorified friendly. A winter vacation getaway for a kick-around in warmer climate.

Giggs86

CL is a possible 13 games against 7 teams from a pool of 31 of which you cannot play against some in early stages. Luck of draw plays a big part in odds.

PL is 38 games against 19 teams over a long season where form, injuries, and scheduling plays a big part.

My opinion is the PL is harder to obtain over CL but CL is more prestigious due to caliber of opposition to a point.
The fact that the PL has been retained many times while the CL has yet to be retained by the same club in consecutive seasons makes a good counter point.

Jaybomb

It most certainly does not. It's a glorified friendly. A winter vacation getaway for a kick-around in warmer climate.
The Club World Cup features the Champions of Europe, Asia, South America and North America. Call it what you want but winning that cements your status as the world's best team. Thats what the idea is.

Giggs86

The Club World Cup features the Champions of Europe, Asia, South America and North America. Call it what you want but winning that cements your status as the world's best team. Thats what the idea is.
Could you name the champions/best teams of Asia, South America, Africa etc.? I honestly can't. Do you really think that if a team like Kashima Antlers would win the CWC against the European champs that are on vacation mode, they would be considered the best team in the world?

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
10 points - CL win
7 points - national league win
5 points - EL win
4 points - CL final, main national cup win
3 points - European SuperCup, World Club Tournament
1 point - minor domestic cups, domestic supercup

Oscie

But it doesn't. In the same way the Community Shield i.e the meeting of the league champions and FA Cup winners doesn't cement your status as best team in England. Without being disrespectful have you really not noticed that the Club World Cup isn't considered terribly prestigious? That's kinda up there with thinking Justin Bieber is hardcore.

Jaybomb

Could you name the champions/best teams of Asia, South America, Africa etc.? I honestly can't. Do you really think that if a team like Kashima Antlers would win the CWC against the European champs that are on vacation mode, they would be considered the best team in the world?
Officially, they are.

Global football is not what it once was. South America in the 1950s-1970s was incomparable. Santos had an insane team back then. Nowadays? Club Football pretty much IS Europe. My point is, if you win the Champions League, you need to win the Club World Cup too. Its the cherry on top.

Jaybomb

But it doesn't. In the same way the Community Shield i.e the meeting of the league champions and FA Cup winners doesn't cement your status as best team in England. Without being disrespectful have you really not noticed that the Club World Cup isn't considered terribly prestigious? That's kinda up there with thinking Justin Bieber is hardcore.
The Community Shield is a friendly. The Club World Cup is a competition.

For me, if I'm a footballer and I won the Champions League and the Club World Cup... the Club World Cup would be my greatest achievement. Because you need to win the Champions League in order to even qualify for it. Plus, the trophy itself is beautiful.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

For me, if I'm a footballer and I won the Champions League and the Club World Cup... the Club World Cup would be my greatest achievement. Because you need to win the Champions League in order to even qualify for it. Plus, the trophy itself is beautiful.
Which is why winning the CL is more important.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Just adding I repute the CL final a commercial trophy nowadays for the global exposure and return it gives both clubs in the full month preceeding the 90 minutes season ending event.

Elastic Fish

Yeah but if there was a separate trophy for eating a banana after winning the Champions League, that trophy would be harder to get than the Champions League on its own because eating a banana has a non-zero difficulty. Still doesn't make the Banana Challenge Shield anything more than slightly more important than the existing Club World Cup.

I should know - my cousin Vinnie almost died eating a banana once. It was a few years back and he'd heard a rumour that there was going to be a banana shortage because the vast majority of bananas in the world are clones, which makes them very vulnerable to diseases. I saw Vinnie eat fourteen bananas that day and by the end of it he was a changed man. But I would rather have won the Champions League and that, as the saying goes, is that.

Reactions: Invictus

Enigma_87

You know who
1. Champions League - biggest one and where we can improve.
2. Premier League - goes without saying above any other bar CL
3. Europa League - gives you CL place and winning the second best international competition
4. FA Cup - not as highly regarded or as good as it once was
5. League Cup - option to play youngsters, but would rather have just one domestic cup.

Mickey mouse cups in no particular order:
Club World Cup
Super Cup
Community Shield

Giggs86

Officially, they are.

Global football is not what it once was. South America in the 1950s-1970s was incomparable. Santos had an insane team back then. Nowadays? Club Football pretty much IS Europe. My point is, if you win the Champions League, you need to win the Club World Cup too. Its the cherry on top.
Maybe you could make an argument five decades ago, but not today.

Just look at the opposition that the European champs face every year: Kashima Antlers. Raja Casablanca. TP Mazembe. LDU Quito. Yes, I had to google and I didn't even know these teams existed (or if they still even exist). See my point? How can you take a tournament like this seriously?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
River Plate actually gave us a pretty good game back in 2015.

Although generally speaking, every good footballer nowadays plays in Europe. That is why when a team wins both their domestic league and the CL, you can safely call them the best in the world long before the CWC even takes place.

1. CL
2. Domestic league
3. EL
4. Domestic cup

The rest is either a glorified friendly or fairly irrelevant.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Champions League
Premier League
FA Cup
Europa League
League Cup
Club World Cup
Super Cup
Community Shield

CWC, Super Cup and Community Shield at the bottom because they are basically just rewards for winning other competitions.