Ranking United “wingers” post SAF

cyril C

In fact, you can include players during Fergi era. None of them were anywhere near Nani standard, in terms of shooting with the strong foot and cross with weak foot, that is before any dribbling, positioning, running, short passing, teamwork, defending and so on.

johannes_fd

Antony at the bottom. Rest is a mix of shit, mediocre and promising, but never permanent class. Guess im harsh on Rashford, but hes the definition of a purple patch player.

Of course its hard to be 100% objective here, but given transfer fee and wages Antony has solidified his position at the bottom for me. Doesnt help that its impossible to cheer for him, due to his persona and off-field issues. What a useless waste of space.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
I'll omit Pogba, Cavani, Bruno and Mount as they aren't really wingers. I'll also omit Diallo and Pellestri since they haven't played enough in my opinion.

Boy what a sad list that is! :lol: Considering everything (top level, average level, price and output) I end up with something like this:

(Good)
1. Rashford

(Acceptable)
2. Martial
3. Mata

(cnut tier)
4. Greenwood (goddammit, he would probably at least be 2nd by now if he wasn't who he is)
5. Di Maria (dickhead)

(Meh, jury still out)
6. Garnacho

(Not good enough but could be useful sometimes)
7. Lingard
8. James
9. Januzaj

(So shit that I refuse to rank them)
- Memphis
- Mkhitaryan
- Alexis
- Sancho
- Antony
Completely agree with this.

Son

Never mind "post SAF". Our wingers post Ronaldo aren't anything to write home about.
I liked Valencia before his big injury. He was an absolute bargain and looked world class for a year or two before the leg break.

Against Bayern the man was a beast I remember. Valencia was a good servant for us. One of my absolute favs post Sir Alex even after the injury you could rely on him to compete at RB and win duals.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Never mind "post SAF". Our wingers post Ronaldo aren't anything to write home about.
Nani and Valencia were still pretty solid. Still won a league title with them out wide. Nani in particular had some world class goals like that chip against Arsenal.

JediSith

Januzaj
  • Di Maria
  • Memphis
  • Martial
  • Rashford
  • Lingard
  • Mkhitaryan
  • Alexis
  • James
  • Pellistri
  • Diallo
  • Sancho
  • Antony
  • Garnacho
  • Edit: forgot to add Elanga
I’ve removed the 10s 8s 9s

How crap have we been ? The list above answers it. Rashford has been good, Garnacho has WC potential.

JediSith

I liked Valencia before his big injury. He was an absolute bargain and looked world class for a year or two before the leg break.

Against Bayern the man was a beast I remember. Valencia was a good servant for us. One of my absolute favs post Sir Alex even after the injury you could rely on him to compete at RB and win duals.
Valencia was great in a functional way. Eg cross with precision and the striker scores. Good statistically, changed the match for us Vs Milan. But long term made us too one dimensional.

didz

Valencia was great in a functional way. Eg cross with precision and the striker scores. Good statistically, changed the match for us Vs Milan. But long term made us too one dimensional.
I dunno about that. Before he became Turn back Tony, he was effective enough that him doing the same thing over and over was far from a problem. Predictable but rarely stoppable - kind of like a version of Arjen Robben from the Upside Down.

Adam_S

Winger and central midfield are two positions that really showcase how far United truly have fallen.

Giggs
Kanchelskis
Beckham
Ronaldo

to

Martial
Anthony
Sancho
etc.

JediSith

I dunno about that. Before he became Turn back Tony, he was effective enough that him doing the same thing over and over was far from a problem. Predictable but rarely stoppable - kind of like a version of Arjen Robben from the Upside Down.
I agree. At the the time he was the player who I always wanted to start, Rooney was the scorer, but Valencia had become the creator.

But over time I started to view it as a limitation. Not that we relied primarily on two players, but that we relied on the same basic move to score.