Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackAttackAttack

Massive improvement to our squad if we get him. His strength and speed will fit so well in the PL.
I’m really excited for this signing. I’m hoping with his speed we can prevent some of those counter
Attacking goals with concede. Varane is also pretty strong in the air which is required in the PL. I think he will have a huge impact for us next year. I want to see more driving runs from Harry knowing he has cover with pace.

MiamiSpartan

As said I have mates of mine who are close to Sir Alex. I mean they visit him at his home, they are treated as royalty whenever they visit the club, former players visit them regularly, they were inviting to Gaz and Becks wedding and they were able to get away with one or two things that I can't say on a public forum but would shock you. In the past 20 years or so, they weren't able to get inside information about whom we're signing. The likes of Gaz and Becks wouldn't know whom we're signing and that despite their friendship with Ole.

These leaks are intentional and are perpetrated by the buyer, the seller or the agent to generate interest or/and unsettle the player. 90% of the rest is proper guess work. It ain't that difficult either. I mean you only have to know how much money the club in question usually spend, which positions they need to strengthen, the players they had already bought and the small pool of players with the right talent that can fit in. Take United as an example. We're decent spenders but we don't tend to go silly. We already spent 80m on Sancho which means that we have around 50m-60m for a CB. How many players fits that criteria? Romano had identified 4 ie Varane, Romero, Kounde and Pau Torres. That's probably all the names of top quality CBs that are available at around that fee bracket. Then all they have to do is just wait for the leaks. If there's enough journalists being fed the same information about the same player then he is probably the main target.
Your mates may be too well connected for transfer news. The manager usually isn't going to be the leaker, even to friends (your mates, Beckham, etc.). Even if your mates have other friends at the club, if those people know your mates are close to SAF, they may not tell them much for fear that they'll get busted.

I tend to think that Journos will often target secretaries, assistants, and mid-level people in the club as sources. People that hear a lot around the office. Some of these sources will have more real info than others, and some will probably make things up just to get the attention from the reporters and watch people react to the rumor that they started. Obviously, some journos just make stuff up themselves, but I think the Tier 1 guys have real sources at the clubs, which probably give a mix of "approved" leaks and unapproved inside info.

diarm

Anyone know where Varane is on holiday?

It's surely about time to start thinking about tracking flights?

spiriticon

These tweets are taking me through several time loops...

Contract agreed/Transfer fee agreed
Contract agreed/Transfer fee not agreed
Contract not agreed/Transfer fee agreed
Contract not agreed/Transfer fee not agreed

Where do we stand?? I seem to be moving back and forth through these 4 stages several times a day :(

Dempsey19

I think this is a done deal. We arent backing out now.

Let's say we pull out because 50m is too high, who else is there we can sign who is as good as him for less than 50m.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
You are a top class troll.
He’s really not, pretty sure he was the same guy who pretended we weren’t signing Pogba when he was literally in Manchester sighing for us. He’s just really boring.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Starting to believe this will actually happen... would be huge as a signing. But still feel a DM would have a bigger impact but there is no perfect candidate like Sancho on our RW or Varane for CB.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Do these guys talk over informal dinners or something? Or do they communicate using rocks and twigs? How do these talks always last so many days?

ElectroManiac

Sancho deal was announcement was on page 259 and the thread lock at 260. They are clearly waiting for us muppet to surpass that for Varane agreement :wenger:

diarm

Do these guys talk over informal dinners or something? Or do they communicate using rocks and twigs? How do these talks always last so many days?
Real Madrid don't trust modern technology after the fax machine fiasco and then some fecker got Perez on a dictaphone.

Nowadays they shave the head of a servant, tattoo the message on, wait for the hair to grow back and then send him to England with their negotiations.

Matthew84!

So he's ready to accept Utd terms which was reported as already accepted last night, now its we're ready to bid for him which again was reportedly already accepted last night.
Seems one jumps the gun then it gives them all something to discuss the day after and then its finally reported it was just fake news and nothing has been agreed yet.
Repeat daily.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
He’s really not, pretty sure he was the same guy who pretended we weren’t signing Pogba when he was literally in Manchester sighing for us. He’s just really boring.
That’s what I mean, he’s relentless

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

L'Equipe report that Madrid were initially asking for 80m
Well, those feckers wanted around €80m for bloody Morata so no surprise there.

Nowadays they shave the head of a servant, tattoo the message on, wait for the hair to grow back and then send him to England with their negotiations.
:lol:

SinNombre

As recently as a few months ago, people looked at Maguire as “decent”. Now all of a sudden he’s one of the best. Harry carried the United damned defence on his great big forehead.
I am glad how the Euros have elevated Maguire and Shaw.

Both are top players and finally the fans and the media are acknowledging them.

I think that support will help elevate their game to the next levels.

SinNombre

Random graphics (from various points over the last couple of years) to back up the point that Varane is good in the air:

If I'm curious about anything it's exactly how excellent he is on the ball:

Those graphs are very good for Pau Torres.

I am surprised those links have died out and everyone is chasing Kounde who looks the worst player both on stats and the eye test.

One thing those stats don’t show are the big match temperament. Varane is one of the most decorated CBs of all time with 4 CLs and a WC

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Anybody who thought Madrid would happily accept 50 mill Euros are mad. Will be closer to 60m for sure
They’ll accept whatever they get because it’s better than 0 next year. They need money.

Ronaldo's Love Child

I'm mostly sceptical because of the big intangible: motivation. It seems obvious that Madrid and France have reached the end of their cycle, the elite players have lost that edge, and Varane's a very visible part of both. There really isn't any evidence that United has the kind of atmosphere to turn that around, and there is historical evidence that we're quite good at doing the opposite.

If he was able to get that edge back then I'd be delighted. Such a good partner for someone like Maguire on paper. But for Varane, United is a step down from Real, Manchester is a step down from Madrid, Ole is a step down from Zidane. The only thing we have in our favour at the moment is a group of players that are mostly on the up, and Varane could relish the role of leading them from challengers to winners, in a way that Ramos did for him.

The idea that he'll be motivated by a new challenge by default is just not true unfortunately. He could be coming here for a pay day, he could be coming here to have less pressure, he could just be coming here because he's being forced out and no-one else can afford him. We've had all three scenarios before with big names coming from bigger European clubs and ultimately being a disappointment as a result. I think people ignore that because accepting it would mean acknowledging the fact United are not a top-tier club for elite players outside the UK. Sir Alex recognised that and tailored his transfer strategy accordingly, since then people like Woodward have ignored that reality and been stung multiple times.
Don't worry too much. Cavani came here because no other big club were in for him. Although I accept that for every Cavani there is another Falcao

Status
Not open for further replies.