Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Pay whatever it takes, no more of this half arsed bullshit where we back off and go down a tier of player just because it's cheaper. If we want to catch up to City then we need to pay big for this type of player.
Not sustainable. The rumoured £80m is ridiculous.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Pay whatever it takes, no more of this half arsed bullshit where we back off and go down a tier of player just because it's cheaper. If we want to catch up to City then we need to pay big for this type of player.
It’s funny you say that considering the approach you’re saying we shouldn’t do is the exact approach city do. They regularly move on from targets if the price is deemed too high.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So what’s people’s thinking on Varane or Sancho?

I think I’d personally prefer Varane tbh.
In terms of the impact it'd have on our squad short term and long term:

Locatelli for 40m > Sancho for 80m > Varane for 70m

Midfield is our biggest problem position in terms of immediate need. Right wing has been a huge problem for ages, Greenwood has helped and Pogba playing on the left gives the attack some balance with creativity, but its just a short term solution as he'll leave. Sancho will be a brilliant signing for us. For CB, I genuinely think we won't see a massive difference in impact unless our midfield is sorted. Varane is obviously one of the very best though so I'm probably understating that... but either way we should be desperate for all 3. If there are 3 signings that could turn us into challengers, it'd be those 3.

acnumber9

Yeah, but with the contract situations are what they are. They can not want all they want, but by reports they've tried get Varane to renew for a while, so because now Ramos is leaving, that doesn't change Varanes mind.
True. It makes sense that Real Madrid’s efforts would increase though. If only because they have more wage budget to play with.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It won't be £80m though. Who the hell believes that rumour?

But he's a player that if we're serious about mounting a title challenge you have to purchase. Not some knock off punt. He'd make a huge impact here.
"pay whatever it takes" followed by "it won't be 80m". Which one is it!

In fairness the alternative in Kounde is no knock off punt either.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
"pay whatever it takes" followed by "it won't be 80m". Which one is it!

In fairness the alternative in Kounde is no knock off punt either.
I don't rate Kounde and don't think he's suited to the PL, I don't think there are many sure thing solutions to CB this summer.

When I mean "pay whatever it takes", I mean in terms of don't use the "1 year remaining on his contract" as an excuse to low ball Madrid. If we have to overpay a little so be it, the improvement he'd make on our team would be massive. It'd be worth overpaying by 10m euros.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
But your defence has never been a great defence yet youd think Varane and Ramos were a brick wall. Great defences dont conceded in every big game that spans multiple seasons. Thats the attack getting you over the line.
They were not a brick wall because that's a very unrealistic target. They were the best CBs for a team which played with many attacking minded players not caring about defensive duties as much as footballers in other teams. The only presence of the BBC or an unique LB like Marcelo sets the benchmark in a completely different place. And the proof the context is everything is that Varane and Ramos had way more clean sheets in their NTs or in more cautious Madrid sides (i.e. with Lucas Vazquez and Mendy).

On your logic Atletico Madrid will always have better CBs than Real Madrid and we both know that's completely untrue.

croadyman

I’m good with watching Greenwood on our right wing. I’m not ok with watching Lindelof anywhere near our starting lineup. So Varane is more important. But we will get both Varane and Sancho :D
Yeah would be Varane for me as well out of the two so what makes you really believe Real are selling their two top CB's

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah would be Varane for me as well out of the two so what makes you really believe Real are selling their two top CB's
They didn't sell Ramos, if they were to sell Varane it would be because his contract ends next summer and they believe that they can't forfeit the money they would get this summer.

A-man

We must improve both attack and defence. Most of the conceded goals and lost matches came when we played other CB formations than Harry-Lindelof. When they played we have an average of 2.15 points per game, compared to 2.25 for City. When one of them is missing, we have an average of 1.5 points per game. We need one more reliable CB, but not necessarily a top CB if that will stop us from improving other areas. We had many draws with clean sheets and need to improve our attack. Sancho would be perfect.
All together I would prioritise a world class midfielder. Think that would improve both attack and defence.

A-man

They didn't sell Ramos, if they were to sell Varane it would be because his contract ends next summer and they believe that they can't forfeit the money they would get this summer.
Seems to me like they pushed Ramos out.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Seems to me like they pushed Ramos out.
It seems that way, if reports are correct they didn't offer him a contract until the situation with Varane became worrying.

croadyman

Hopefully we can find out whether he's open to the move and if not we should get Sergio before someone else does

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
80 mill for Varane, but 30-35 for Pogba when both have 1 year left of their contract ? Yeah right.

United wont offer more than the reported bid for Varane and then sell Pogba for half that price. Pogba is worth more than Varane imo and United knows that.

Last edited:

Tallis

Sancho > CB > CM.

We need that extra firepower to break defences when Bruno and Rash are misfiring. Mason can start to focus on being a 9 which I think will be his ultimate position.

Lindelof gets bullied too often so need a stronger and more athletic partner for Maguire.

We do have some CM options - Fred, McT, DVB, Matic and potentially Garner. So, yes we can improve in midfield but it’s not as catastrophic as the other two positions. We have two potentials in DVB and Garner who can be part of the solution. We don’t have anyone in defense that can step up in the foreseeable future. And Amad can be an effective player on RW but it’s probably too soon for him to hold the position by himself - he needs 1-2 years.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The 80m is just ridiculous if true. What's even funnier is that they rejected 50m(if true) when alot of us said we shouldn't go past 45m
80m is: 'we don't want to sell this player, please go away, but if you insist, here's an astronomical starting point to negotiate down from.'

Think it's a perfectly logical thing for them to do with a player they don't want to lose, but if they are going to, they'll make the buying team offset the cost of them getting a worthwhile replacement.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
My priority for you would be CB > CM > Sancho.

Sancho is a great player but its obvious when you watch him that you will need to play him on the left to get the best out of him in the Premier League. His skillset makes him excellent in transition and broken field situations on either side but against settled defenses and low blocks he is very useful on the left but much less effective on the right, which isn't really a knock on him its true of almost every right-footed wing player in today's game (same could be said for Gnabry, Pulisic, Coman, Sterling, etc). The problem is that there are more transition and broken field situations in the Bundesliga than the Premier League and United is already very good in those situations.

United would be better off buying truly top level CB and CM, then spending less on a left footed creator like Ziyech or Bernardo Silva (both apparently looking for new clubs) to fill RW for a couple years until Diallo is ready.

A-man

It seems that way, if reports are correct they didn't offer him a contract until the situation with Varane became worrying.
Maybe they wanted to avoid a Totti situation, where an old loyal club legend can be a problem for the coach and board.

yamo123x

Still dont think we will sing Varane, with Ramos as good as gone, Madrid will up the ante and he'll sign a new deal.
Yet again players using our interest to get better deals, why do we always get suckered in.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I remember when we had to get rid of Blind as soon as we learned he was losing his hair. That's just the way of an elite club.
Im still upset about Blind’s wonderful hair.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
We must improve both attack and defence. Most of the conceded goals and lost matches came when we played other CB formations than Harry-Lindelof. When they played we have an average of 2.15 points per game, compared to 2.25 for City. When one of them is missing, we have an average of 1.5 points per game. We need one more reliable CB, but not necessarily a top CB if that will stop us from improving other areas. We had many draws with clean sheets and need to improve our attack. Sancho would be perfect.
All together I would prioritise a world class midfielder. Think that would improve both attack and defence.
A Maguire - Lindelof central defence isn't a premier league winning, or CL contending, one.

jlecesne

Still dont think we will sing Varane, with Ramos as good as gone, Madrid will up the ante and he'll sign a new deal.
Yet again players using our interest to get better deals, why do we always get suckered in.
This. Varane is a quality player and would improve the squad immensely. Would be well worth paying out £40-£50 million but I can’t see Madrid letting him leave. Yet another media wind up.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Just sign Kounde or Torres, and focus on a DM for the remaining time. I bet United will waste the whole summer on unrealistic targets again.

SATA

Varane and Sancho and i’ll be very content with this summer’s transfer business. These two will absolutely push our starting XI up a couple of levels

gorky_utd

Are we even interested or just media speculation? Ramos is available but no interest from us.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It is hard for me to believe RM would release Ramos if they know Varane is leaving/won't renew his contract. I bet Varane is staying.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yes both Italien and French league. However Chelsea managed to win the CL final without him.
He started the game alongside Azpilicueta who's won multiple PL titles.

DSG

Neither if we want to be fighting for 4th CL spot in the league.

Sancho if we want to be comfortably 2/3rd. Varane alone , maybe battling 3rd/4th.

‘Both if we want a title challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.