Raphael Varane

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
It was clear that he hadn't kicked a ball since 17th July, gifted on a plate to City.
Yup, too long between competitive games. Interested to see what Bayern are like tonight, haven't played a competitive game for more than a month.

Varane had one yesterday, night he'll want to forget.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yeah, Varane is terrible, terrible!

Please discard to Manchester United for a fee that represents his worth. Around £20m should do it.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yup, too long between competitive games. Interested to see what Bayern are like tonight, haven't played a competitive game for more than a month.

Varane had one yesterday, night he'll want to forget.
If it was 2-0 with a full team i'd have really fancied our chances to pull the rabbit out of the hat with such match fitness advantage but 3 with all these injuries is too much.

Djemba-Djemba

Becoming a bit of a pattern now with Varane.

In big CL games without Ramos he struggles badly and Madrid look a shambles.

2nd leg against Juve in 2018 when they lost 3-1 and were incredibly lucky to scrape through
2nd leg against Ajax in 2019 when they were battered 4-1 at home and eliminated
2nd leg against City in 2020 when he makes two horrendous errors and they get eliminated.

KeanoMagicHat

Wait, how does Verane making school boy mistakes show Ramos' importance?
Strangely Ramos seems to gets away with getting more red cards than almost anyone else in top-level football and is almost seen as a good thing and shows he'll do anything to win. It often costs his team and he's cost his team for two straight years in the Champions League by getting suspended. And the red cards are generally from mistakes he made, either rashly hacking someone or taking someone out after dodgy positioning.

"They're no good without Ramos"...well maybe Ramos shouldn't get over 200 yellows and 26 red cards then?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Strangely Ramos seems to gets away with getting more red cards than almost anyone else in top-level football and is almost seen as a good thing and shows he'll do anything to win. It often costs his team and he's cost his team for two straight years in the Champions League by getting suspended. And the red cards are generally from mistakes he made, either rashly hacking someone or taking someone out after dodgy positioning.

"They're no good without Ramos"...well maybe Ramos shouldn't get over 200 yellows and 26 red cards then?
I mean, sergio ramos' disciplinary record gets brought up all the time

In CL he's had 4 red cards, one of which was intentional on Mourinho's instructions, another(against city in the second leg) a last ditch attempt to prevent a third goal after a major screw-up by Casemiro...

Yes he was dumb for getting intentionally suspended for the second leg against ajax. He also was by far the best player on the pitch and the reason we won that game instead of getting battered in the first place

But enough about ramos, this is the Varane thread. He had a horrible game last night. It happens. I'm not his biggest fan but he's one of the best defenders in the world and had a fantastic season.

On to the next

BlahRules

He’s shite.
not shit, but clearly over hyped. La Liga is not the same level as EPL.

With the clear level of talents at Real and Barce compared to the other teams shows the defenders are not tested enough and are over hyped.

Smalling would look elite in La Liga. Athletico Madrid should try to purchase him.

Clermontois

Supports
France
He’s shite.
Nonsense, he is still better than any defender we have bar Bailly. Having watched my national team more or lesss every game I can say Raphael is usually more assured than last night but that he was always average on the ball and had the odd mistake in him. Which is why I said people at the World Cup saying he was the best defender obviously were imagining things as Umtiti was/is the better defender and far more assured, shame about his injuries though.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Very bad game from him but still, I saw a couple of moments to suggest his quality is legit. His long range passing is surprisingly excellent.
As blasphemous as it sounds, I would take Varane plus a little bit of cash for Pogba if offered it. I'm a big fan of Pogba but in this Ole system the double pivot role that he plays, I think we can upgrade him without too much effort. E.g. Neves, I think he'll do a great job there. To be clear, Pogba is a far superior player to Neves but for that specific role I think Neves is a better fit.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
not shit, but clearly over hyped. La Liga is not the same level as EPL.

With the clear level of talents at Real and Barce compared to the other teams shows the defenders are not tested enough and are over hyped.

Smalling would look elite in La Liga. Athletico Madrid should try to purchase him.
What do the EPL and Liga have to do with anything? Varane has won 4 Champions Leagues and a World Cup, he has for sure been tested for years.

Some people in here talk as if he's new to the game or something.

RashyForPM

He is so shite without Daddy Sergio babysitting him. Constantly getting skinned, bad positioning and general stupid mistakes. Seriously, he was fantastic at one point and is still alright for France, but please don’t buy him. Maguire is a good defender but he’s no Ramos, and can’t cuddle Varane through 90 minutes every week in the most physical league in the world.

InfiniteBoredom

He is in the same predicament Evans were, fantastic potential as a youngster but got to used to playing under a top CB’s direction and looked lost when called upon to lead the defence himself.

will be 28 in a few months and it’s unlikely he will develop that skill set in what should be his prime.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He is so shite without Daddy Sergio babysitting him. Constantly getting skinned, bad positioning and general stupid mistakes. Seriously, he was fantastic at one point and is still alright for France, but please don’t buy him. Maguire is a good defender but he’s no Ramos, and can’t cuddle Varane through 90 minutes every week in the most physical league in the world.
Im not convinced the EPL is anything like the “most physical league in the world” anymore. I don’t think it has been for quite a few years now either.

Foxbatt

He looked slow today. So far Lindelof has played better than Varane this season.