Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Ramos V2.0.

Nothing to see here except the announcement that he has signed a bumper new contract with Madrid after Euro's.
Madrid signed Alaba and Militao was brilliant in the last part of the season. That means that at least one of Ramos or Varane will leave.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Madrid signed Alaba and Militao was brilliant in the last part of the season. That means that at least one of Ramos or Varane will leave.
I have read that Ramos hasn't received an offer while Varane has one on the table that he isn't considering. Also it is thought that Ramos would only receive one if Varane leaves this summer.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The finances required to acquire him, I can't see us being capable of if the outlay on other parts of the team are to believed. He'd expect to be at least our highest paid defensive player, and rightly so given his pedigree and the move he'd be making.

I don't see us matching or outdoing what he could get elsewhere.

RUCK4444

The finances required to acquire him, I can't see us being capable of if the outlay on other parts of the team are to believed. He'd expect to be at least our highest paid defensive player, and rightly so given his pedigree and the move he'd be making.

I don't see us matching or outdoing what he could get elsewhere.
But we absolutely should.

I mean that’s the point of going for elite players, we need them to compete, just pay them what they command.

We usually pay high wages and can match most teams for wages, I think if he wants to move here we will match his wage demands, just depends where he wants to go imo.

JPRouve

Scout
Lets be honest, if Martial is actually earning what he currently is then I don't see how United fans can worry about wages, PSG doesn't pay similar players that much and no one else does. It would be quite special to not pay a top player adequately when you overpay all your squad players.

A-man

He sure as hell has got the pace for it. There's more to it than pace though, could he hold the line etc?
He probably has the skills but I believe he would be the one to cover and not push.

CM

Lets be honest, if Martial is actually earning what he currently is then I don't see how United fans can worry about wages, PSG doesn't pay similar players that much and no one else does. It would be quite special to not pay a top player adequately when you overpay all your squad players.
Didn't they give Herrera 300 grand a week? I don't think PSG are exactly modest when it comes to wages either

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Just buy him if he's available.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
But we absolutely should.

I mean that’s the point of going for elite players, we need them to compete, just pay them what they command.

We usually pay high wages and can match most teams for wages, I think if he wants to move here we will match his wage demands, just depends where he wants to go imo.
With what we've supposedly got coming in, unless you're getting Martial and De Gea off the books, I can't see us not having a cap/limit. There are quite a few who should not be on the books anymore, but the wages they get here they won't get anywhere else, so even if we want to sell, they're not going to want to go unless paid off or United subsidised a percentage, which is not easy as the ball is in the buying clubs' hands and they get a far better deal that leaves us still paying for thin air.

I suppose you can add Pogba to this, although I hope he stays, but yeah, we're not just going to add a £600k+ stack to our wage bill - things would have to happen to facillitate a move for Varane, imo.

JPRouve

Scout
Didn't they give Herrera 300 grand a week? I don't think PSG are exactly modest when it comes to wages either
No. Signing bonus and all other bonuses included he is supposed to earn between 6m€ and 8m€ per year.

hubbuh

Sancho and Varane would be mega. Chuck in a DM/defensively sound CM (Tchouameni?) and we're golden.

Hackman2210

Did look very composed and mature. Would be a fantastic player for us - but PSG must be looking at him so we'd struggle to compete. What about Laporte from Man City - another very good player.............

Bwuk

Reports that Tuanzebe is going to go out on loan makes me think this is more likely.

Devil may care

Varane opis clearly a cut above any of the other CB's we are linked with and Pau Torres and Ben White are pointless.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
AS are back with an update on the Varane situation.
  • They're hoping that Varane's France performances help them fetch a higher price (they want 60 million Euros).
  • United and PSG have shown the most interest.
    • Neither have made an offer to Real Madrid.
    • They've only contacted the player's entourage.
    • Both are likely destinations.
      • AS declare PSG as the favourites (though they don't state what that's based on).
  • Madrid expect an offer via the player's entourage to take a while given that Varane will be focused on the Euros.
Meh, I'm not seeing much new info here outside of PSG's interest, and that could also be based on the report from Le10Sport in France, who aren't reliable.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Interesting… What other things do you find embarrassing?
Can't think of many off the top of my head atm, but I'll keep you posted.

The doubts expressed on this thread about Varane are embarrassing though. He'd not only be United's best defender by some distance but would also be vying with Van Dijk for best in the league.

If a transfer is possible then I'd go all out to make sure it happens. He'd have a greater impact on this United team than any of the other players the club has been linked so far.

AS are back with an update on the Varane situation.
  • They're hoping that Varane's France performances help them fetch a higher price (they want 60 million Euros).
  • United and PSG have shown the most interest.
    • Neither have made an offer to Real Madrid.
    • They've only contacted the player's entourage.
    • Both are likely destinations.
      • AS declare PSG as the favourites (though they don't state what that's based on).
  • Madrid expect an offer via the player's entourage to take a while given that Varane will be focused on the Euros.
Meh, I'm not seeing much new info here outside of PSG's interest, and that could also be based on the report from Le10Sport in France, who aren't reliable.
complete speculation. I could have written that

bosskeano

PSG seem to be ready to spend big this summer on a number of players. Really would hate to see Varane chose PSG over United because we need a guy like him in our back four and would bring a calming presence to our back line.

hubbuh

Tchouameni is a box to box, basically McTominay.
Hm.. probably not what we're necessarily looking for then, assuming Ole intends to stick to his set-up of Bruno playing high. A lot depends on what happens with Pogba, obviously.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Like to see him here but I don't see it. Going by the latest reports his preference is to return home.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
PSG seem to be ready to spend big this summer on a number of players. Really would hate to see Varane chose PSG over United because we need a guy like him in our back four and would bring a calming presence to our back line.
Personally I can't wait for him to sign at PSG and witness the U-turn here on this guy like he was never needed in the first place. :p

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Personally I can't wait for him to sign at PSG and witness the U-turn here on this guy like he was never needed in the first place. :p
Eh? Are you joking? Every time he makes a successful pass this thread will be bumped to tell us how ole/glazers are idiots for not signing him.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Eh? Are you joking? Every time he makes a successful pass this thread will be bumped to tell us how ole/glazers are idiots for not signing him.
Half-joking. Sure there's that group that will do that, but at least half the posters suddenly find all the flaws and feel better off it didn't work out, and it's fun to read I guess. It's not unique to this place anyways, all fan bases do that when they don't get the player they wanted.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Would be an ideal signing if there's any chance at all.
Signing him, Sancho, Trippier and maybe one other shows we're properly targeting the right areas.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
That's not even remotely close to how these threads typically go.

RUCK4444

Can't think of many off the top of my head atm, but I'll keep you posted.

The doubts expressed on this thread about Varane are embarrassing though. He'd not only be United's best defender by some distance but would also be vying with Van Dijk for best in the league.

If a transfer is possible then I'd go all out to make sure it happens. He'd have a greater impact on this United team than any of the other players the club has been linked so far.
Ahhhh in fairness I thought you meant the thread was embarrassing in the sense that we as United fans think we have a chance of signing him.

To be fair if anybody here thinks he wouldn’t automatically be our best centre back then I agree with you thats rather embarrassing…

He’s a top level CB. No doubt aba tha’

JPRouve

Scout
That's not even remotely close to how these threads typically go.
Yeah. After saying that he was overpriced and past it, the caf has decided that he was the perfect fit for United but the owners who happens to be literal leeches refused to pay the very affordable price needed to acquire him. Also PSG have ruined his career and legacy.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Pay whatever it takes, I'm in love with the idea of him coming after last night

Status
Not open for further replies.