g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rarely injured players and their obvious value

KeanoMagicHat

Bruno is the obvious answer, but has there been others like him? Players who at most miss one or two games per season due to injury.

My memory is a bit hazy, but I feel that Carrick rarely got injured?

It's such an underrated and rare attribute.
I think it's a bit much to call it an attribute. A lot of it is luck-based. You could be perfectly prepared athletically and then someone goes in two-footed and fecks your leg up out of your control. Van Dijk for example has been durable but Pickford had other ideas.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Lampard pretty much never got injured. I am sure he started over 100 prem games running or something mad like that.

Edit: yeah 164, the record by quite a distance. It is appearances mind, not starts, but still ridiculous.

PlayerClubMatchesRun startedRun ended
Frank LampardChelsea16413 Oct 200126 Dec 2005
Wayne BridgeSouthampton1134 Mar 200018 Jan 2003
Darren FletcherWest Brom, Stoke1128 Feb 201530 Dec 2017
Alan ShearerBlackburn10818 Sep 199316 Mar 1996
Jonathan WaltersStoke1042 Feb 201130 Nov 2013
Very surprising to see post Colitis Fletcher up there in that list. Still such a shame that happened to him, he had turned into an absolutely immense player right before that happened. People forget he was in the team of the year for 2010.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I think it's a bit much to call it an attribute. A lot of it is luck-based. You could be perfectly prepared athletically and then someone goes in two-footed and fecks your leg up out of your control. Van Dijk for example has been durable but Pickford had other ideas.
I don't see this thread as a slight to those who are unfortunate with injuries but rather a tribute to those who manage to practically never miss a game because of pulled muscles, fatigue, knocks or illnesses. I would not say that this is based on luck (genetics do play a part, but that is true for most things).

I also think that most people are reasonable enough to acknowledge someone clocking in 10 years of always being fit followed by a serious injury that they never fully recover from. Of course these players should count as durable too.

RuudTom83

Didn't Saka break the Arsenal record for consecutive league starts recently?

Irwin99

Irwin. Had a horrible injury in 97-98 but apart from that i rarely remember him being injured and had close to a thousand professional games. Mr. reliable.

Lampard was another who had ridiculous stats. Never injured.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Yes, 83 consecutive PL appearances. Xhaka had 1 or 2 injuries but was also extremely reliable fitness wise.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Had a small(ish) injury earlier this season but yeah, he's been used like a bar of soap under Arteta.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Azpilicueta was very rarely injured for Chelsea. Only in the last couple of seasons did he miss a handful of games to injuries or illness but the first 8 years he was at the club he wasn't injured for a single match. That's especially crazy when you consider he'd just missed a full seasons worth of games to an ACL injury the year before he joined us and I remember some people being worried about his injury history when we were about to sign him.

From the start of 15/16 season to the end of the 19/20 season Azpilicueta played 16584 minutes out of 17100 possible in the EPL for us, meaning over a 5 season period he only missed out on a few games worth of minutes to being rested or subbed off before the 90th minute and every other game he played from start to finish. He also started and played the full 90 minutes in almost all of our cup games too.

Bole Top

Friedel never missed a game in 2004-2012 period and he played for three different clubs.

also, Hamsik's stats when he was at Napoli are crazy. 4 seasons in which he played all 38 games, 4 in which he played 37 games, 2 in which he played 35 games. that's what you call being available.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
I don't get people mentioning Messi.

Yeah, not injury prone at Neymar level, but four or five seasons of his career were compromised by injuries(most still world class, but should be even better).

KeanoMagicHat

Azpilicueta was very rarely injured for Chelsea. Only in the last couple of seasons did he miss a handful of games to injuries or illness but the first 8 years he was at the club he wasn't injured for a single match. That's especially crazy when you consider he'd just missed a full seasons worth of games to an ACL injury the year before he joined us and I remember some people being worried about his injury history when we were about to sign him.
That always frustrated me in 2014 when United were apparently close to signing Arturo Vidal but pulled out because they were worried about his knee. Then he played an average of 42 games a year for the next 8 seasons, winning 6 league titles across three leagues. Exact sort of player we needed too then.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

From the start of 15/16 season to the end of the 19/20 season Azpilicueta played 16584 minutes out of 17100 possible in the EPL for us, meaning over a 5 season period he only missed out on a few games worth of minutes to being rested or subbed off before the 90th minute and every other game he played from start to finish. He also started and played the full 90 minutes in almost all of our cup games too.
:eek:

abundance

Supports
Inter
Extremely impressive numbers from Lampard and Williams, I thought Javier Zanetti was the ultimate iron man of the modern game but they both surpass him (JZ4 had a streak of 137 in Serie A, 162 in all competitions).

Anyway, all of them pale in comparison to Dino Zoff.

I know, a keeper and not an outfield player, in a different era, with 16-18 teams leagues and less frequent cup games, less bookings, different goal-keeping style, less physicality inside the box...
(but also much less science applied to training, physio and dietary regimes)

Anyway, the dude went to play for Juventus at 30 years old and retired there at 41, without failing once to show up to defend their goal in Serie A.
That's 330 league games over 11 seasons.

Add to that streak the last 2 games of his last season with Napoli before going to Juve, and you get what I believe is a world record of 332 consecutive league games.

Before that two farewell games with Napoli, he was sidelined for 7 games as he suffered a malleolus fracture in training.
What's even more crazy, that injury had interrupted what was already a record streak of 245 consecutive league games with Mantova and Napoli.

He was truly built different.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Lampard pretty much never got injured. I am sure he started over 100 prem games running or something mad like that.

Edit: yeah 164, the record by quite a distance. It is appearances mind, not starts, but still ridiculous.

PlayerClubMatchesRun startedRun ended
Frank LampardChelsea16413 Oct 200126 Dec 2005
Wayne BridgeSouthampton1134 Mar 200018 Jan 2003
Darren FletcherWest Brom, Stoke1128 Feb 201530 Dec 2017
Alan ShearerBlackburn10818 Sep 199316 Mar 1996
Jonathan WaltersStoke1042 Feb 201130 Nov 2013
Shearer was an odd one, pretty much missing two full seasons with cruciates, but then hardly any others of note in a c17 year career.

THE ZOL

Daddy Sancho
Supports
Al-Merreikh (Omdorman)
Bruno Fernandes' is actually quite ridiculous, when you look at it like this: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bruno-fernandes/verletzungen/spieler/240306
The only actual injury there is for two games. The other two are for flu/feeling unwell. :lol:

None of the other names mentioned in this thread have a Transfermarkt page looking that clean.
There’s an anti-Bruno Youtuber who says that the guy is like a cockroach :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember in his early days when he always made a difference. Whenever he was down injured I would panic (especially as we had lost McTominay, Pogba, Rashford and Martial to injury at times when they were hitting form). But credit to him, he never gets injured or tired for that matter. His genetics must be unreal.

THE ZOL

Daddy Sancho
Supports
Al-Merreikh (Omdorman)
Very surprising to see post Colitis Fletcher up there in that list. Still such a shame that happened to him, he had turned into an absolutely immense player right before that happened. People forget he was in the team of the year for 2010.
Absolutely. Sorely missed for 2009 Rome final and in big games I felt he got the better of the likes of Cesc, Gerrard and Lampard. Scored in big games too. He was really our driving force in midfield. During that run of consecutive games for WBA he played through injury also. For one game (I can’t remember which one) he played with a broken foot or something like that and could barely put weight on it. Absolute warrior Fletch was.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Can’t believe nobody mentioned Fred yet. Him and Bruno both proof that avoiding injury doesn’t have to mean avoiding hard work.
Yeah first player that comes to mind. And we sold him for less than 10m EUR. So much for "value".

Fred was a fantastic squad player.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There’s an anti-Bruno Youtuber who says that the guy is like a cockroach :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember in his early days when he always made a difference. Whenever he was down injured I would panic (especially as we had lost McTominay, Pogba, Rashford and Martial to injury at times when they were hitting form). But credit to him, he never gets injured or tired for that matter. His genetics must be unreal.
Wonder how much his build helps. He’s basically built like an endurance marathon runner