Rashford - Martial - Greenwood 2020/21

Brightonian

A blockbuster season from these three, posting big numbers between them in the end despite Rashford and Martial missing serious chunks of the season through injury and Greenwood only playing his first season as a full member of the senior squad. Impressively high ratio of beautiful goals, too. Proper Manchester United stuff.

What can we expect from them this term? More of the same? Better, with Bruno behind them all season and VDB chipping in? Worse, with Rashford probably still working on physical and mental recovery from a serious back injury and a squad light on quality bench options to help keep them fresh?

Optimistic targets and realistic expectations for goals, assists etc below please lads and lasses.

Bestie07

Sky is the limit for them if we don't run them into the ground. I'm expecting Martial to get 30 goals this season and Rashford and Greenwood to hit 20+ each. They are all so dangerous and require so much attention from opposition that they will end up opening spaces for each other on the pitch.

We really really need someone, and it doesn't have to be Sancho, who can come in for these guys when they need a rest without a massive drop in quality.

ForeverRed1

This Coming season we are going to see the another level of martial. Big season for him. Feels like it started to click into place for him last season a little bit.. his work rate, closing people down, tracking back, his hunger and most importantly playing football and looking like he is enjoying it. Went up a gear last season but I think there is more to come from him!

cant wait:devil:

sillwuka

Hope the boys hit the ground running.

Would be great if Martial can hit 30 with Rashford and Greenwood aiming for 25 each.

flappyjay

Assuming Sancho doesn't happen I expect Mason to get enough minutes to score more than he did last. The 2 older boys should realistically reach their targets if they stay injury free.

Greenwood 20 goals 5 assists
Marcus 20 goals 11 assists
Martial 31 goals 7 assits

RashyForPM

I have the genuine belief that these guys can develop into the league’s best front 3 this season, at least in terms of goals and assists, so let’s see where that takes us. Remember there’s Pogba, VdB and Bruno chipping in with goals from midfield too.

I’m optimistic for the season. Hope the players prove me right later.

In terms of numbers for these 3 players:
Rashford - 20 goals, 10 assists
Martial - 25 goals, 7 assists
Greenwood - 18 goals, 10 assists
Total - 63 goals, 27 assists. I’d be more than happy with that.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I agree with posters on Martial this will be a big season for him.

The real unknown in that front three remains Greenwood. He’s the one that can continue to go up levels and if he does he could hit scary figures and be a massive influence on the team. I wanted (still do) Sancho but my pain is eased by having Mason ready for a big season too.

Stretender

We need another striker, we have less firepower. I hope Greenwood plays less games I fear for him in the sense that a big football club is over relying on an 18 year old. If Martial stays fit he will be our most important player. Rashford will chip in but must be benched if he is stinking the place. I don't like his undroppable status. If Sancho signs that will help rotate them.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'm hoping Rashford can get back to his pre-injury form. The stick he gets on here is painful to watch being given to an academy graduate that carried us at times last season.

If he can get back to his best, along with Martial and Greenwood continuing to develop then they could be seriously scary, especially with the creativity we now have in midfield.

The worry is the small turn around from last season, combined with the hectic schedule is going to burn them out with no one to rotate with them.

If we don't sign anyone then Ighalo and James are going to be key and that would require a massive step up from them to not drop the levels too much when they come in, otherwise the main three will get overplayed and be shattered by Christmas.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I have the genuine belief that these guys can develop into the league’s best front 3 this season, at least in terms of goals and assists, so let’s see where that takes us. Remember there’s Pogba, VdB and Bruno chipping in with goals from midfield too.

I’m optimistic for the season. Hope the players prove me right later.

In terms of numbers for these 3 players:
Rashford - 20 goals, 10 assists
Martial - 25 goals, 7 assists
Greenwood - 18 goals, 10 assists
Total - 63 goals, 27 assists. I’d be more than happy with that.
These numbers mean Martial and Rashford have regressed. This season Rashford scored 22 goals though he won't be on pen duty this season so 20 will still be great numbers.

Martial had 12 assists last season and I see his assist numbers increasing because he has a game for it. I also don't see Greenwood hitting those assist numbers, this season he only had 3 assists if I recall correctly, 10 assists would be a massive jump. He's more of a goalscorer and I could see him hitting 20+ goals.

RashyForPM

These numbers mean Martial and Rashford have regressed. This season Rashford scored 22 goals though he won't be on pen duty this season so 20 will still be great numbers.

Martial had 12 assists last season and I see his assist numbers increasing because he has a game for it. I also don't see Greenwood hitting those assist numbers, this season he only had 3 assists if I recall correctly, 10 assists would be a massive jump. He's more of a goalscorer and I could see him hitting 20+ goals.
Should have specified league only. Those will be underwhelming all competitions numbers for them.

gajender

35 league goals between them is my prediction.
They scored above 40 goals between them last season in the league, 35 would be quite underwhelming if we don't get Sancho and all three plays regularly this season than any thing less than 55 goals would be quite disappointing.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Should have specified league only. Those will be underwhelming all competitions numbers for them.
Oh. If they hit those numbers in the league alone we might win it then unless the defense is a complete shamble :lol:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s Rashford I’m really hoping can kick on this year. He just about had it last year before his back injury and in the restart he was a shadow of that player if we are honest. Possibly because Shaw was missing, perhaps having someone like Telles behind him will give him the space he needs by pushing back the opposite pair.

Greenwood I’m not too worried about, the talent is there for everyone to see and while there’s a good possibility he will have second season syndrome I don’t see that as an issue aged 19, he will learn from it.

Martial I would say the most pressure is on following last season. He’s the main man now and honestly if he can’t maintain that consistency then I think there is a good chance we will consider breaking the bank for a top goal scorer next summer. He’s proven what he’s capable of, now he has to prove he can sustain it.

Brightonian

Their 'all competitions' goals may suffer from being in the Champions League as opposed to the Europa League. We chalked up a 3-0, a 4-0 and two 5-0s in the EL last season, we won't get goalfests like that in Europe this season.

He'sRaldo

I'm definitely in the minority, but I don't want Sancho breaking up that trio.

I'd like a player for healthy competition, but not someone who will come in for a huge fee and instantly be undroppable at the expense of one of the three of them.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Their 'all competitions' goals may suffer from being in the Champions League as opposed to the Europa League. We chalked up a 3-0, a 4-0 and two 5-0s in the EL last season, we won't get goalfests like that in Europe this season.
How many times did Rashford and Martial okay in those goal fest Europa games? If I recall correctly Martial and Rashford did miss a lot of Europa games.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Good news from not signing Sancho - we've got to see a lot of Greenwood this season.

Walters_19_MuFc

If they can continue their form from last season, then that trio is up there with the best in the league. Would have been nice to add Sancho, and it may still happen, but I wouldn't be opposed to getting in a solid right midfielder to offer good cover for Greenwood.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How many times did Rashford and Martial okay in those goal fest Europa games? If I recall correctly Martial and Rashford did miss a lot of Europa games.
Martial got 4 in Europa, Rashford got 1!

Brightonian

I'd like a player for healthy competition, but not someone who will come in for a huge fee and instantly be undroppable at the expense of one of the three of them.
I see the argument, but how often during a season are all three actually likely to be fully fit? I'd say there will be at least enough games over an entire season in all competitions that Sancho could get a full season's worth of matches with almost no need to actively drop anyone for him.

Or, to put it a different way: over a full season of football, four players should be 'first choice' for three positions.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Very excited to see this front 3 again. Weren't they already one of Europe's best front 3 last season, statistically?

JuriM

Martial 25 goals - 9 assists
Rashford 27 goals - 13 assists
Greenwood 15 goals - 6 assists

He'sRaldo

I see the argument, but how often during a season are all three actually likely to be fully fit? I'd say there will be at least enough games over an entire season in all competitions that Sancho could get a full season's worth of matches with almost no need to actively drop anyone for him.

Or, to put it a different way: over a full season of football, four players should be 'first choice' for three positions.
Yeah I agree with that. I just worry that the huge fee will make Sancho automatically higher in the pecking order that the others, and if he doesn't play most games the media won't shut up about the fee.

If he was coming in for a reasonable fee there's no way I'd be opposed to it, as that would give the others more of an opportunity to compete with him. For 120M, he's starting most games automatically.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I need to see how Greenwood start the season. Improvement in goal tally isn't always linear, especially after a breakthrough year. Opponents usually get much smarter and play to nullify players strengths.

I already saw in our latest games in the league opponents adjusting to Greenwood 2 footness and kept him away from goalscoring positions. Let's see how Greenwood play around opponents giving him respect and studying him.

mav_9me

I need to see how Greenwood start the season. Improvement in goal tally isn't always linear, especially after a breakthrough year. Opponents usually get much smarter and play to nullify players strengths.

I already saw in our latest games in the league opponents adjusting to Greenwood 2 footness and kept him away from goalscoring positions. Let's see how Greenwood play around opponents giving him respect and studying him.
If he is fit enough for enough games, he will beat last seasons goal tallies for sure. I don't see how you can adjust for 2 footedness.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned

I know what you mean but you should always be trying to improve. The problem would be if Sancho (or another big signing) plays irrespective of form. Huge fees usually mean they do but you have to trust your manager to make footballing decisions based on football.

CG1010

If all three of them managed to remain injury free and avoided getting fatigued, our top 4 is mostly confirmed

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Our target for them should be 60 goals between them in all competitions. Have to figure Bruno will be good for another 15, and 5 each from Pogba and VDB is a conservative estimate too.

There are a lot of goals in this team

Alemar

Rashford 15 goals
Martial 30 goals
Greenwood 30 goals

That’s in all competitions

Bruno 25 (incl. 15 penalties)

Last edited:

deleon

I love all three individually, and they will each have their moments in the season. As a trio, however, I'm concerned they are too narrow as they all ultimately want to run into the same space, and thus encouraging oppositions to stay compact and defend from deep.

I would like to see them exchange positions for 15-20 minutes during games to see if it helps; Get Greenwood minutes in the centre to develop his game there, Rashford on the right to provide width - even if he makes little direct contribution to goals, and Martial on the left as a one-on-one threat (assuming Rashford can stretch the defence laterally).