Rashford out partying at nightclub hours before reporting as too ill to attend training

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaldinho1

He's ill. Next Question. Simple.

An assurance which Erik contradicted, that's the problem.
I don't think this is what any of us would do as manager though. ETH is who he is, for the record I think it's what our club needs as well, you ask and you get an answer. It's not that crazy, players should not get shielded by managers - we as fans want to know as much as possible and we want to know which players care about playing for the club we support. Rashford should care more than most but there's a distinct feeling now, after the big pay day, that he's taken his foot off the gas.

Revaulx

Not to go all tin hat but I've noticed a lot of the Rashford defenders seem to be usernames I've never seen before on this forum.
Really? Most of them seem to be the usual suspects who enjoy shitting on the club in general and ETH in particular.

Glad you said 'published' rather than wrote as anyone who thought he wrote a word of that book is deluded.

Same applies to his school meals campaign, I'm convinced it will come out in a few years he barely had anything to do with that and all his tweets to MPs were being written by his PR agency - from memory The Spectator or someone tried to do similar but there was a social media pile on as the whole story was so politicised at the time.
I certainly agree that not all the PR he’s surrounded with has helped, but questioning his initial motivation over the school meals thing seems extremely unfair; The Spectator is hardly an unbiased source.

The state of our dressing room just makes me sympathise more with Ronaldo. Even though I thought (and still do) that he reacted at the time like an egotistical moron, I do understand his frustration having to work with these cretins.

Rashford seems to think he is on the same level of the greats like Ronaldo even though he isn't even in the same stratosphere in terms of dedication or achievement.

Who can blame him though since the idiots in charge of our club seem to think they should be paying him the salary they do.
He probably overrates his own importance as a result of the club constantly blowing smoke up his arse in the Ole era. Before then he wasn’t like that at all.

I’m not particularly blaming Ole; the club culture was set by Woodward. Remember the Young British Core?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Glad you said 'published' rather than wrote as anyone who thought he wrote a word of that book is deluded.

Same applies to his school meals campaign, I'm convinced it will come out in a few years he barely had anything to do with that and all his tweets to MPs were being written by his PR agency - from memory The Spectator or someone tried to do similar but there was a social media pile on as the whole story was so politicised at the time.
Are these supposed to be potential gotchas?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Thing is with Nathan he became a national treasure in his mind during covid. It was a lovely thing he did but think it has gone to his head.

ElDiabloRojo

He needs the razzle and dazzle of London to fully realise his celebrity status or political aspirations.

Come on Chelsea..... cheeky 100m bid.

LInkash

I really want him to be a success here but he could feed so many kids on Saudi wages so maybe that would be best for everyone.

OleGunnar20

Thing is with Nathan he became a national treasure in his mind during covid. It was a lovely thing he did but think it has gone to his head.
Spot on. When I started having my Mrs - who cares nothing for football - commenting on what a lovely lad he was for doing x y & z while we watched him play like a muppet on the pitch I knew things were getting off track.

Fergie was the master at dealing with this shit. He'd be gone, no questions asked. Whether it's even possible for us now to move him for a reasonable fee seems unlikely though.

DomesticTadpole

Spot on. When I started having my Mrs - who cares nothing for football - commenting on what a lovely lad he was for doing x y & z while we watched him play like a muppet on the pitch I knew things were getting off track.

Fergie was the master at dealing with this shit. He'd be gone, no questions asked. Whether it's even possible for us now to move him for a reasonable fee seems unlikely though.
It started out as a great idea, but once you let advertising agencies and PR get their mitts on it, your profile, which is already high as a United player, goes into the stratosphere.

Wheato

Not sure what is up with him, he seems to go through these dips in form, poor attitude, not running for his team mates. And you cannot hide on the pitch in front of the fans. Most people do support him and want him to do well, but nobody is going to give you a pat on the back for not trying. Surely he understands this.

If this is his downward spiral into a Lingard/Pogba type situation, we need to cash in straight away. The 90m that we could get for him could buy 3 new players. Who will be hungry and fit into a system. But we can't carry on pussy footing around Marcus if he doesn't want to play football.

Nogbadthebad

Fines don't hurt marcus. It sounds a lot of money, and it is to most of us, but 2 weeks wages lost won't change his life one iota.

He does value his brand though, as do all the people around him, the PR guys and so on. So take a shot at that.

Don't leave it to paper innuendo and rumour. Make a public statement that marcus was out on the piss then pretended to be too ill to do the job he is paid for.

Say it in black and white. Somone in his team may then knock some sense into him when it starts to affect their financial futures too.

OleGunnar20

It started out as a great idea, but once you let advertising agencies and PR get their mitts on it, your profile, which is already high as a United player, goes into the stratosphere.
Yep. I'm all for footballers giving back, that's great. But look at the numerous players such as Mata and Mane as examples of players who do the work without it seemingly overtaking the football.

I get uncomfortable when it starts to feel like players' priorities shift from the game, like with Rashford, or with Lingards fecking Brand, or Pogba's desire to cause controversy at every turn.

Give me 11 Brunos everyday of the week. For all his flaws I just want to see players leave it all on the pitch week in week out. Whatever comes after that I'd be content.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Precisely.

Looking at the incident in isolation, I have to say that some of the criticism is indeed OTT and is made up of dubious speculation, and yes “venting” isn’t an altogether inappropriate label.

The Rashford defenders choose to view the incident out of context (why? Blind love for the player or disingenuous trolling?) and fail to acknowledge that it’s part of a bigger picture.
This is a player who just weeks ago put in the laziest performance I have ever seen from a Man Utd player against Newcastle. He has been a disgrace all season.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Fines don't hurt marcus. It sounds a lot of money, and it is to most of us, but 2 weeks wages lost won't change his life one iota.

He does value his brand though, as do all the people around him, the PR guys and so on. So take a shot at that.

Don't leave it to paper innuendo and rumour. Make a public statement that marcus was out on the piss then pretended to be too ill to do the job he is paid for.

Say it in black and white. Somone in his team may then knock some sense into him when it starts to affect their financial futures too.
I'll tell you what will happen at that point.
A- He will react
B- the club will then have no choice but to put him on transfer list
C- No one will buy him on that salary
D- We'll have a nearly 400k a week player rotting in the academy which is financially unsustainable
E- We'll try to loan him
F- He'll probably seal a deal with Juventus/Dortmund behind our backs. They'll expect a 1 year loan were they'll pay a packet of crisps as salary while we foot the rest. United will probably refuse that but he'll dig his heels by saying that its either Juventus/Dortmund or nothing
G- We'll be financing the top stars of other clubs who will be winning stuff and play in the CL while sitting on our payroll. In the end they'll leave on a free, Pogba style and rack a huge salary elsewhere.

This is a time when we use our brain rather then our heart. Let's fine him and he'll sit on the bench for a game or two. Meanwhile we need to hire the finest DOF/HOR possible ie people who can find clubs ready to buy the likes of him and Sancho. Then we'll get rid of them and we invest the money elsewhere

That's what SAF did with Veron. He was defending the guy merely weeks before selling him to Chelsea.

iHicksy

Are people pretending to be thick here?

Its irrelevant whats in the media the manager of Man Utd shouldn't be contradicting the club and confirming a negative story about one of his players.

Well it's been flying for the entire 18 months he's been at the club. So instilling discipline in this group of players is maybe beyond ETH. And speaking about private club matters publicly isn't likely to have any positives for the club.
Are you pretending to be thick? Did you actually watch the press conference?

Reporter "What's going on with Rashford?"

Ten Haag looks confused and then annoyed at the question and asks "in what sense?"

Reporter: "He was photographed in belfast....missed training."

He reported ill” Ten Hag said. “as for the rest, it's an internal matter, I'll deal with it.

He clearly said they were two separate issues. He's not contradicting the club. One that he's ill, and he looked annoyed at the reporter for suggesting otherwise, and then states he'll handle the belfast incident internally.

Jesus wept you really do have an agenda here.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I am speculating here.
I feel this is a player whose main motivation was getting his family out of poverty. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Just that now, I think he’s lost some of that hunger that the young Rashford had.
I also think his family see him as a cash cow and have overprotected him since he was a kid, telling him how amazing he is.
What you end up with is a spoilt prat who has motivation issues.

Juicy Juiced

Never understand doing bussines with your family.
When I got some money, now even close to footballers wages, I suddenly got so many family. They needed money for diapers, baby food, quick money schemes ect... Can only imagine how is it with Rashford wages. He is probably distracted with stuff outside the football all the time.

Nogbadthebad

That's what SAF did with Veron. He was defending the guy merely weeks before selling him to Chelsea.
Probably correct, he will see any criticism as an unfair attack at this point, because he clearly doesn't think he is wrong.

I still think that giving his brand a little slap is the only thing that will make him take notice though, so if we cannot do that, leaving is probably inevitable now. PSG I would guess, he can cruise that league and party as much as he wants.

hobbers

Engineer that move to Barcelona or Liverpool like you threatened before Rashy. Tara

midou

Another virus in the dressing room. This will be the most resilient one, based on his Mancunian poster boy status and likeable early years, but needs to be removed none the less.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Cheeery bye Marcus. It's clear now IMO that like Sancho he's contributing negatively to the attitudes at the club and it pains me to say it but it's the unfortunate truth

Superden

some of the dehumanising takes in this thread are pretty discomforting. the digs at his charity work are just plain pathetic.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.

Hopefully this is them trying to engineer a move. Smells of financial greed.
I guarantee you, all they are doing is - smoothing things over and trying to say it wasn't that bad

"A move" my arse, there's not a club in the world, except maybe in Saudi, that wants Rashford at even 80% of his salary and with his levels of inconsistency. We are stuck with him, unless Saudi want him and he is willing to go there. Time when PSG et al wanted him are long gone

DomesticTadpole

some of the dehumanising takes in this thread are pretty discomforting. the digs at his charity work are just plain pathetic.
I didn't have a go at his charity work, I said it was when other people got involved, what he did was admirable, but it spiraled out of his control.

Rex Banner

Hopefully this is them trying to engineer a move. Smells of financial greed.
Engineer a move to who? If he's solely motivated by money then surely the best option is staying at United. Can't see any other club paying him what we do.

His agent is probably there because he's his agent. Makes sense for him to be there for a disciplinary issue.

SuperiorXI

What I never understand is why the club doesn't have a knobhead clause, if you act a knob you don't get paid or even your contract is void? You'd think with the amounts of money that would be pretty standard.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I'll tell you what will happen at that point.
A- He will react
B- the club will then have no choice but to put him on transfer list
C- No one will buy him on that salary
D- We'll have a nearly 400k a week player rotting in the academy which is financially unsustainable
E- We'll try to loan him
F- He'll probably seal a deal with Juventus/Dortmund behind our backs. They'll expect a 1 year loan were they'll pay a packet of crisps as salary while we foot the rest. United will probably refuse that but he'll dig his heels by saying that its either Juventus/Dortmund or nothing
G- We'll be financing the top stars of other clubs who will be winning stuff and play in the CL while sitting on our payroll. In the end they'll leave on a free, Pogba style and rack a huge salary elsewhere.

This is a time when we use our brain rather then our heart. Let's fine him and he'll sit on the bench for a game or two. Meanwhile we need to hire the finest DOF/HOR possible ie people who can find clubs ready to buy the likes of him and Sancho. Then we'll get rid of them and we invest the money elsewhere

Nobody will buy them because the logic behind the contracts handed out to both of them (for Rashford, the second consecutive deal) was a "not for sale" statement on behalf of the club. It's amazing that people are angry or wondering why this has happened. It was the only thing that could happen. You offer wages that make players untouchable, they become untouchable. The least you can do is assess them properly and make sure they're worth their salt before you write the cheque. Otherwise, there's little you can do. Sancho is currently getting a full pay to spend 6 months with his mates in Germany, while waiting for the manager to get the sack. That's his punishment. Martial is using United to get fit and sign elsewhere next summer. I suspect Rashford's brother will want to negotiate Marcus' "future role" in the first team (just like Ronaldo used to do, but he was worth the sacrifice). And if we don't comply, we'll have to endure 4 more years of this.

Jeffthered

Wait until Euro 2024 when he can score great goals against average teams. Hopefully we can then get decent money for this clown.

No idea who he thinks he is. Currently represents much that is wrong at our club.

How about playing well, you know, maybe putting three decent performances together?

Tired of this guy, overinflated ego who is playing absolute crap, Division One standard football.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
What I never understand is why the club doesn't have a knobhead clause, if you act a knob you don't get paid or even your contract is void? You'd think with the amounts of money that would be pretty standard.
Too subjective to be enforced

You could sack players for doing TikTok dances because in my book that makes you a knobhead but in the real world it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.