Rashford out partying at nightclub hours before reporting as too ill to attend training

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

Maybe he’s just laying the seeds of giving fans something to be upset about so there isn’t an uproar when we sell him
I'd be surprised if that was the case. Don't see us selling him anytime soon less than a year into his massive new contract.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Eh, he's had what - 6 g+a in the PL this year? If a decent offer came in I'd love to see the back of him personally, screw it. Short term pain for a long term gain.

The mentality of the club needs resetting and anyone not acting professionally can go for me, fill the gaps with whoever is left and rebuild from the summer (or even this window if the right targets were available with cash now in the bank).

Outside of the FA cup it's looking like a write off of a season anyway.

Garnacho / Amad / Antony / Pellistri / Mount / Fernandes is enough to work with for the rest of the season with no European football.
Four wingers, two of which might go on loan, and two midfielders is not nearly enough cover for the wide position for the rest of the season. He has 10 G/A for the season so far (all comps), Antony, Amad and Pellistri likely won’t get that combined. Fine him, drop him, but we cannot exile him and ruin any chance of getting a large fee for him in the summer, it’s cutting your nose off to spite your face.

brontelicious

Are people really arguing Belfast is abroad from someone in Manchester?! We literally all have the same passports.
maybe not, in fact

people in NI have the right to an Irish passport and can self-identify as Irish. they have a legal right to be defined as such (so you have to do it as well)

claiming NI is 'as british as finchley' as one moronic former pm put it, has long since proven wrong

as for Marcus, it's disappointing, but at least he didn't party in Larne itself, otherwise, well...

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Not defending Rashford here but a lot more of this stuff happened under Fergie than you know. It just never got out.
The problem isn't that he went out two nights in a row and missed training, the problem is that he hasn't been trying on the pitch for a long time now and this is like the final straw.

There isn't a player in 26 years of Ferguson that showed so little desire or heart on the pitch as he has

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Not defending Rashford here but a lot more of this stuff happened under Fergie than you know. It just never got out.
Yeah, look about the time Scholes refused to play, or warm up. This shit went on all the time with Ferguson. He just didn't have these modern social media git players. He did have drinkers and Keanos and Spice Boys though. Gave the boot to Jaap Stam for minor shit but let Cantona get away with anything. Fergie was a master of the situation and could get psycho mad, so he had a very unique element of fear that served him quite well.

red.knight

It's easy to say that he has to be sold but it will be extremely difficult to do. Very few clubs in the world can afford the wages that Rashford is on & how much is he worth based on his stats this season. I can't see PSG splashing the cash for an underperforming striker/winger who doesn't score.
You are right. We could've easily shipped him off to Barca or PSG in the past but we blew it. Hopefully Ineos get shot of him and banished like Sancho. He's overhyped anyway and offered nothing this season except sulking.

phonics_tid

Your Mother Was a Hamster and Your Father Smelt of
I wouldn't say he has pissed the opportunity away. You are talking like he is Raval Morrison or something.

He has played 399 games for the club and has put himself in a possession where he is the clubs top earner.
He’s 26 years old, has at least another 6 years left in him at the top and instead he’s turned the majority of the clubs fans against him with his piss poor attitude, lack of effort and general idiocy. I’d say he’s pissed it away a bit.

Homegrown, academy players like him generally get a lot of favour from fans as opposed to a foreign player for example that’s just came in from another club. He’s stretched the fan base’s patience beyond limits.

clarkydaz

He’s 26 years old, has at least another 6 years left in him at the top and instead he’s turned the majority of the clubs fans against him with his piss poor attitude, lack of effort and general idiocy. I’d say he’s pissed it away a bit.

Homegrown, academy players like him generally get a lot of favour from fans as opposed to a foreign player for example that’s just came in from another club. He’s stretched the fan base’s patience beyond limits.
once he loses pace he is finished at the top. Will he have it at 32?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yeah, look about the time Scholes refused to play, or warm up. This shit went on all the time with Ferguson. He just didn't have these modern social media git players. He did have drinkers and Keanos and Spice Boys though. Gave the boot to Jaap Stam for minor shit but let Cantona get away with anything. Fergie was a master of the situation and could get psycho mad, so he had a very unique element of fear that served him quite well.
The difference is if a player of Rashford's level rather than Scholes's had pulled that with Ferguson, and AFTER a prolonged period of awful form and terrible work ethic on the pitch, they'd have been out the door without a second thought.

The fear/respect element was a big part of Ferguson, but he would also only have leeway IF a player was both good enough and still had the desire/commitment needed.

You can argue the good enough part with Rashford just based on us currently having no one better, but the desire/commitment bit on the pitch alone is so far off the rails, Ferguson would probably give him the boot just to stop it festering into anyone else.

red.knight

Why are people acting like a 26 year old going to a club is akin to a 55 year old? As if once you hit your mid-20s you're too old and should sit in you're slippers sipping tea with a blanket on your legs. As far as I can tell he wasn't hungover but came down with something. Was he late to training or on time? I really don't think it's that a big a story? Some posters here are suggesting he should be sold, stupid.
yes big baby Rashford should be sold because he is a useless mid-table player. He did not have a great season last year, he had a great 4 months while negotiating the largest contract of his life. Outside of that 4 months, Rashford has been a mid table player for his entire (lengthy) career. Apart from kicking and running with the ball what else can he do? Can’t cross, dribbling is predictable, can’t give clinical passes, overall low football IQ. The "Marcus Rashford is a great player lying in wait" stuff is the greatest English fantasy novel since Harry Potter.

Melville Red

Why would Rashford agree to that? He only goes if he wants to, the chances of getting rid in the summer are minimal given his wages but forcing him to agree to a loan to Nice at this stage would be impossible.
Well put him in the reserves then, he’ll soon agree to a transfer and a drop in his wages if United do that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah because they accepted the response he did give and it didn't lead to any further questions or speculation on the matter. If you watch the interview you can see him realize himself that his response only encouraged the journalists to dig deeper.

And keeping private club business private is never a terrible approach.
Ive seen the video. There is nothing that shows he realized any error, because there is none.

You claiming they accepted his response is absolute bullshit. Do you actually think that if he said "he's ill" they won't point to the Athletic article which said the club was chatting bullshit with photo evidence of Rashford at a night club?

You actually think the press would have said "oh he's ill. OK cool next question".

Really? fecking hell.

Melville Red

United ripped up Roy Keane’s contract for calling out teammates on MUTV, Roy Keane who was probably United’s best captain ever. United sold Beckham because Fergie thought he was more interested in commercial deals, Beckham who always showed up and always put in 100% effort. We need our standards back. The club needs to be ruthless on dealing liabilities and Rashford is one of them. If Ineos are serious about putting football back at the heart of Utd, Rashford has to be sold in the summer.
Spot on.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The difference is if a player of Rashford's level rather than Scholes's had pulled that with Ferguson, and AFTER a prolonged period of awful form and terrible work ethic on the pitch, they'd have been out the door without a second thought.

The fear/respect element was a big part of Ferguson, but he would also only have leeway IF a player was both good enough and still had the desire/commitment needed.

You can argue the good enough part with Rashford just based on us currently having no one better, but the desire/commitment bit on the pitch alone is so far off the rails, Ferguson would probably give him the boot just to stop it festering into anyone else.
If we had Fergie, Rashford would only now be on what he was on for his previous contract. We’ve created a monster by prentending we are still one of the big boys by paying inconsistent players world class wages. We then market them as such and give them shite team mates to play with and terrible facilities to grow in. Throw in a total lack of leadership or accountability and there you go.

Cantonagotmehere

If his body language and lack of hustle/urgency all season were not so poor, I could handle this and just hope the club handle it well. But no way now, I am truly fed up with him. I could careless about him as a player until he proves me wrong with his play and attitude.

red.knight

If his body language and lack of hustle/urgency all season were not so poor, I could handle this and just hope the club handle it well. But no way now, I am truly fed up with him. I could careless about him as a player until he proves me wrong with his play and attitude.
If you are going to go out partying you better be bringing it on the football pitch. Rashford doesn't. Say no more. He's a poster boy for everything that's wrong at Man Utd. I'm not a big fan of Ten Hag but having to deal with swelled heads such as Rashford and Sancho would keep me up nights as well.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He may see it as a job but he was born in Manchester, brought up as a Utd fan, been there since he was a child. Once he’s hung up his boots he’ll definitely look back and have regrets imo.

Look at the other players who have left us and regretted it, Beckham for example. Marcus falls into the same bracket and he is being beyond stupid with the way he’s conducted himself the last few years.

I don’t want to see him in a Utd shirt again, he doesn’t deserve it and we as a club should have much higher standards than he’s displaying.
Our supporters club is very very close to Manchester United of the time. SAF was a regular and so were players like the Nevilles and Beckham. These players came in Malta as kids on a holiday (basically living in the house of some local supporters) and had therefore built a good relationship with the club and the country. I met the gaffer, Beckham and the Nevilles a number of times and I shared multiple pints with Ted Beckham and Neville Neville.

To better understand what happened with Beckham one needs to go back to SAF's first successful side.. That team had everything, class, grit and was in its prime. Yet in 1995 something bad happened. Kanchelskis and Ince acted out in a manner that the gaffer couldn't ignore and SAF was an inch away from losing the dressing room. You'll might find this a bit of an exaggeration but back in the day SAF was nowhere near to the untouchable legend he was today. Also Kanchelskis and Ince were WC players, the former was one of the very few players I saw Maldini struggle against and the latter was, in my opinion, the best pure DM we had throughout SAF's reign (Keane was not a pure DM). The media went ballistic, Hansen thought SAF lost it and quite frankly many agreed with him. That was a baptism of fire for SAF and till the end of his career he kept his eyes open and will often get rid of a star at the first sign of an insurrection (RVN for example)

Beckham was one of the class of 92 whom together with the likes of Keane, Cantona, Irwin and Schmeichel bailed SAF out. Ted and Neville were obsessed with football and they raised their kids in an almost Spartan way were everything rotated around the sport. Beckham absorbed that passion like a sponge. He was so obsessed with United that he would go on trials at other clubs with the United shirt on. Beckham had talent of course but most what you see on the pitch was pure hard work. The guy lived of football.

The Victoria Adams came in. The lass might not be talented in music but she was brilliant financially wise. I can assure you that she's the brains behind the Beckhams. Beckham fell head over heels to her. The sort were he would lock himself in the bathroom so he keep speaking to her on the phone while the Nevilles were out swearing at him because they were running late to a meeting with fans, type of obsession. SAF saw the celebrity couple status as a threat and as a betrayal from Beckham's part especially when he started asking for media rights, something good old Dave wouldn't even know it existed. SAF knew how close knit the class of 92 was, he perceived that as a threat and viola Beckham was out.

However let's be clear here. Beckham loved Manchester United, he sweated blood for the club and he always gave his 100%. You won't find Beckham jogging on the pitch as Rashy. That's for sure.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
There was loads of stuff but different times and I don’t remember Robson or McGrath having a handful of shit games, never mind shit seasons. And they weren’t paid a small countrys GDP each year either.

Im not saying sell him because of this, I’ve wanted him gone for a while… it’s just one more thing.

On a potential sale and issues because of his wages (not saying you said it), I don’t think a buying club say “damn, we can’t afford those wages”, they‘d look at the total cost and see if worth it as a player. Even if we sell him for £20m, that’s pure FFP profit as I understand it AND a further £18m per season (wages) saved on top. If we get offered anything close to £50m, I’d snap their hands off…

Melville Red

If we had Fergie, Rashford would only now be on what he was on for his previous contract. We’ve created a monster by prentending we are still one of the big boys by paying inconsistent players world class wages. We then market them as such and give them shite team mates to play with and terrible facilities to grow in. Throw in a total lack of leadership or accountability and there you go.
If we had Fergie we wouldn’t have Rashford, he’d have been gone years ago.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ive seen the video. There is nothing that shows he realized any error, because there is none.

You claiming they accepted his response is absolute bullshit. Do you actually think that if he said "he's ill" they won't point to the Athletic article which said the club was chatting bullshit with photo evidence of Rashford at a night club?

You actually think the press would have said "oh he's ill. OK cool next question".

Really? fecking hell.
That’s basically what happened isn’t it, they asked and initially he looked at them funny and said he’s reported Ill, then refused to elaborate when they mentioned reports. I don’t think ETH did much wrong if anything, the club need to put a statement out well before Thursday imo to say Rashford is fit and ready or he’s not going to be in the squad. It does nobody any favours to leave it open to speculation.

Doracle

I did but I'm starting to suspect no one else I'm conversing with actually has.

Say he's ill and move on.

Saying "He's reported ill" A, leaves it open to interpretation that Ten Hag doesn't necessarily believe he is actually ill.

And B to then unprompted go on to say "It's an internal matter that will be dealt with". All but confirms there's a disciplinary issue.

Watch the video his comments just encouraged the press to dig deeper and start asking loaded questions.

Having an opinion isn't having an agenda mate. To be honest I'm just sick of every feckwit connected to the club feeding the negative press that seems to constantly surround the club. We need to get back to a place like when manager and the players gave them very little.

I genuinely hope Ineos get them all media training.
First time I’ve watched this clip. It’s so difficult because it isn’t ETH’s first language. As such, I don’t think we should be critical of him for saying “reported ill”. I think he just meant he “reported for training ill”, rather than saying Rashford had reported himself as ill.

I agree the follow up isn’t ideal though. Probably would have been better to say we’d been focussed on the game and he’d be speaking to Marcus when he’d recovered from his illness.

Doracle

That’s basically what happened isn’t it, they asked and initially he looked at them funny and said he’s reported Ill, then refused to elaborate when they mentioned reports. I don’t think ETH did much wrong if anything, the club need to put a statement out well before Thursday imo to say Rashford is fit and ready or he’s not going to be in the squad. It does nobody any favours to leave it open to speculation.
I’m sure we will get a statement before then. The club either need to get across that this is a really minor incident that has been dealt with or, if it’s more significant, explain the sanction.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
First time I’ve watched this clip. It’s so difficult because it isn’t ETH’s first language. As such, I don’t think we should be critical of him for saying “reported ill”. I think he just meant he “reported for training ill”, rather than saying Rashford had reported himself as ill.

I agree the follow up isn’t ideal though. Probably would have been better to say we’d been focussed on the game and he’d be speaking to Marcus when he’d recovered from his illness.
The media would have still asked him to comment on the pictures, if he just left it to illness.

The "internal matter" line is definitely from the club. Managers would be prepped for these questions to make sure they are giving the right soundbites.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
You just want the info so you know whether or not to pick him in the prediction league

stevoc

Really? fecking hell.
Huh?

I never said anything of the sort mate. I was being sarcastic.

It's irrelevant what the press accept or believe. My point is and remains he should have simply said he's ill and moved on. What he did say contradicted the club, confirmed the rumour and encouraged the press.

stevoc

Well fair enough that's a possibility.

Still the second part was ill thought out.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Huh?

I never said anything of the sort mate. I was being sarcastic.

It's irrelevant what the press accept or believe. My point is and remains he should have simply said he's ill and moved on. What he did say contradicted the club, confirmed the rumour and encouraged the press.
What he said contradicted the club - are you serious?

A couple things here - 1) The club shot itself in the foot by trying to lie (or they were lied to by Rashford) on his escapades prior to training and 2) when the true details came to light, the club would have prepped Ten Hag on how to answer this question.

There is no way Ten Hag went rogue and said something he wasn't meant to after this delicate a situation. In fact one of the tweets from a few pages back refer to the "club line" being that it's an internal matter.

You're trying to critique Ten Hag for something he never did wrong. If he said illness next question, they'll point to the photos of him clubbing the night before and he'd look like a bellend.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Our supporters club is very very close to Manchester United of the time. SAF was a regular and so were players like the Nevilles and Beckham. These players came in Malta as kids on a holiday (basically living in the house of some local supporters) and had therefore built a good relationship with the club and the country. I met the gaffer, Beckham and the Nevilles a number of times and I shared multiple pints with Ted Beckham and Neville Neville.

To better understand what happened with Beckham one needs to go back to SAF's first successful side.. That team had everything, class, grit and was in its prime. Yet in 1995 something bad happened. Kanchelskis and Ince acted out in a manner that the gaffer couldn't ignore and SAF was an inch away from losing the dressing room. You'll might find this a bit of an exaggeration but back in the day SAF was nowhere near to the untouchable legend he was today. Also Kanchelskis and Ince were WC players, the former was one of the very few players I saw Maldini struggle against and the latter was, in my opinion, the best pure DM we had throughout SAF's reign (Keane was not a pure DM). The media went ballistic, Hansen thought SAF lost it and quite frankly many agreed with him. That was a baptism of fire for SAF and till the end of his career he kept his eyes open and will often get rid of a star at the first sign of an insurrection (RVN for example)

Beckham was one of the class of 92 whom together with the likes of Keane, Cantona, Irwin and Schmeichel bailed SAF out. Ted and Neville were obsessed with football and they raised their kids in an almost Spartan way were everything rotated around the sport. Beckham absorbed that passion like a sponge. He was so obsessed with United that he would go on trials at other clubs with the United shirt on. Beckham had talent of course but most what you see on the pitch was pure hard work. The guy lived of football.

The Victoria Adams came in. The lass might not be talented in music but she was brilliant financially wise. I can assure you that she's the brains behind the Beckhams. Beckham fell head over heels to her. The sort were he would lock himself in the bathroom so he keep speaking to her on the phone while the Nevilles were out swearing at him because they were running late to a meeting with fans, type of obsession. SAF saw the celebrity couple status as a threat and as a betrayal from Beckham's part especially when he started asking for media rights, something good old Dave wouldn't even know it existed. SAF knew how close knit the class of 92 was, he perceived that as a threat and viola Beckham was out.

However let's be clear here. Beckham loved Manchester United, he sweated blood for the club and he always gave his 100%. You won't find Beckham jogging on the pitch as Rashy. That's for sure.
Could have happened sooner in hindsight as he left several years after he started dating her. I think Ferguson balanced the worth to the team vs the hassle and as soon as the scales tipped (or he lost it… Stam), bye bye. Brutal.

100% agree with the last paragraph and was saying that earlier today to a colleague who asked me about Rashford. I said I’d rather have a 7 or 8 out of 10 player who gave everything every game (Phil Neville for example) than someone like Rashford who could be worldly occasionally but a liability plenty of other times.

Get the 100% standards laid out first… then get the players who look like they fit in terms of talent AND attitude. Then it becomes endemic/a mindset for every kid coming through the youth and every player we buy in.

Im positive Jim will want these standards (like he does for his business) and Berrada is the person who’ll help embed it for him. Selling Rashford works financially (I.m.o.) but also in the message it sends.

stevoc

If anyone wanted him, we would.

The market is almost non-existent for an inconsistent player on 350k a week.
Indeed, which I hope is something else Ineos get on top of. Contracts should be more performance related. The likes of Sancho being in 350k a week is nuts.

Doracle

The media would have still asked him to comment on the pictures, if he just left it to illness.

The "internal matter" line is definitely from the club. Managers would be prepped for these questions to make sure they are giving the right soundbites.
There’s nothing to say on the pictures - so far as I’m aware no one is disputing Rashford was in a bar in Ireland Thursday night. I’ll be speaking to Marcus and have no further comment at this time would still work on follow up questions.

I’m not being overly critical though - it’s just a perception someone like Fergie might have played it down more and maybe diffused a bit of the media interest.

Nogbadthebad

Its not just about the manager.

Do you think the guys in the dressing room in 1999 would have put up with this shit from marcus?

He'd have had the respect slapped back into him during training before he got this full of himself.

clarkydaz

There was loads of stuff but different times and I don’t remember Robson or McGrath having a handful of shit games, never mind shit seasons. And they weren’t paid a small countrys GDP each year either.

Im not saying sell him because of this, I’ve wanted him gone for a while… it’s just one more thing.

On a potential sale and issues because of his wages (not saying you said it), I don’t think a buying club say “damn, we can’t afford those wages”, they‘d look at the total cost and see if worth it as a player. Even if we sell him for £20m, that’s pure FFP profit as I understand it AND a further £18m per season (wages) saved on top. If we get offered anything close to £50m, I’d snap their hands off…
The Newcastle game was my tipping point, the hand gesture (2 weeks ago? lol) was fuel on the fire and this is the point of no return. i think of the players and teams i grew up with over the last 30 odd years to have to witness this in comparison. boggles the mind how weak the club is

tomaldinho1

To be fair Sir Alex protected players all the time and kept disciplinary measures private. But I guess you are right ETH is what he is, a bit naive.
Yeah but he had total control and very much ran the ship, ETH has as much job security as a plastic bag caught on a car bumper, flapping desperately in a bid not to go under the wheels.

Rojofiam

yes big baby Rashford should be sold because he is a useless mid-table player. He did not have a great season last year, he had a great 4 months while negotiating the largest contract of his life. Outside of that 4 months, Rashford has been a mid table player for his entire (lengthy) career. Apart from kicking and running with the ball what else can he do? Can’t cross, dribbling is predictable, can’t give clinical passes, overall low football IQ. The "Marcus Rashford is a great player lying in wait" stuff is the greatest English fantasy novel since Harry Potter.
You have zero idea what you're talking about :lol:

KjaAnd

He has been my favourite player the past decade - due to him coming through the academy, his work off the field and him carrying us offensively at times. However, he’s really testing my patience. His regular spells of poor form coupled with and at times sickening attitude are very worrying. Either, he gets his head right or we sell him. No one is bigger than the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.