Vidic - 5 Struggled
Rio - 5 Same as Vidic
Evra - 4 Not great defensively, nor attacking
Valencia - 6 Nice cross for RVPs first, wasteful with other crosses
Carrick - 5 Sloppy and slow, zombie like
Cleverley - 5 Did he play?
Kagawa - 5 Outmuscled and couldn't get into the game at all
Welbeck - 4 Awful
Van Persie - 8 Great first goal, terrible penalty, and decided he would win the game for us.

Scholes - 7 Took control when he came on
Nani - 7 Width, good play in the lead up to the pen, cross that won us the game
Hernandez - 6 never done much

VanNistelrater

Poncey film buff
MUFC Champions 2006/2007: Where will the goals com
Lindegaard - Kicking not great but otherwise fine. No real chance with either of the goals. 6.

Rafael - good going forward but made himself a target at the back with poor positioning and being easy to beat in the air. 6.

Vidic - passing out of defence was poor but pretty solid defensively. 7.

Rio - took a while to get into the game, as SAF says, but was pretty dependable. Good positioning for the header which led to RVPs 2nd goal. 7.

Evra - see Rafael. 6.

Valencia - great again, and led the charge for us at times today. Passing a bit off for us but by far our best player for a lot of the game. 7.

Carrick - never controlled the game. 6.

Cleverley - same as Carrick. Tidy but never really dictated for us. 6.

Kagawa - probably his least impressive performance in a United shirt, though by no means a terrible one. Just couldnt influence the game in the way he likes, as Saints shut a lot of the space he operates in down. Some decent touches though. 6.

Welbeck - thankless task out on the left, but did ok. 6.

Van Persie - awful penalty but absolutely clinical for all the other goals. Brilliant movement and touch for most of the game. Fist goal particularly was beautiful to watch. 8 and Man of the Match

Subs

Scholes - simply changed the game for us from the moment he came on. Passing and positioning was superb. 8.

Nani - gave us some width but still looks off his game. Good corner (after about 2 terrible ones) for the winner though. 6.

Hernandez - Sharp movement and touch, and good energy. Played an important role in unsettling the Saints defence. 7.

Rossa

Lindegaard: 5 - no saves and poor distribution - couldn't do anything with the goals though.
Rafael: 7,5 - great going forward and good defending. Excellent together with Valencia.
Rio: 8 - best defender today - a bit rusty, but so assured and saved us a couple of times and also contributed to a goal.
Evra: 7,5 - would've been an 8 if his boots were better. Great going forwards and linking up, but his defending was mostly really good today - fooled once or twice, but ALL fullbacks are.

Valencia: 8 - great game once again with pace and brilliant crosses.
Carrick: 5 - harsh, and was a 7 after Scholes came on. Too slowin possession today.
Cleverley: 4 - awful today, but will be good. Passing was sloppy and he kept on running between all players.
Welbeck: 5,5 - didn't do much, and imo isn't a winger - so much better once he is in the midfield as we saw on our first goal.

Kagawa: 5 - his weakerst performance thus far. Didn't see much of the ball and didn't do much with it either.
RVP: 9 - motm - great player. Should've had 5 goals!!! He is a terrific link-up player also. Rarely gives the ball away and he is one of the best finishers in the game. Awful penalty though (all in all, more complete than Rooney??)

Nani: 6 - decent, an assist
Scholes: 7 - changed the match - such a brilliant and gracious player
Chicharito: 6 - decent, not all that fast though... Would've had a goal if not for the fantastic tackle from Clyne.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
Lindegaard - 6

Rafael - 6
Evra - 6
Rio - 7
Vidic - 6

Valencia - 6
Carrick - 5
Cleverley - 4
Welbeck - 5

Kagawa - 5

Van Persie - 9

Rossa

How are Rio and Vidic gettin 7s and 8s? They were all over the shop
Come on - Rio played a great game. Without him we would've conceded at least two more goals. Great interceptions, and almost scored a goal, which turned into a goal still.

Most players did well, but a few struggled which left us exposed.

lysglimt

Scout
If people think Evra was ok today - then I wonder how poor he will have to be, to be awful.

At fault for both goals - and easily tricked by Puncheon when Lindegaard saved near post. Him and Kagawa were our 2 worst for me. Both were horribly sluggish

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Lindegaard-5.5
Rafael-5
Vidic-6
Ferdinand-5.5
Evra-4.5
Valencia-6.5
Carrick-5
Cleverley-4.5
Kagawa-6
Welbeck-4.5
Van Persie-8

Scholes-7
Nani-7
Hernandez-5.5

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Lindegaard - 5

Rafael - 5
Evra - 5
Rio - 6
Vidic - 5

Valencia - 6
Carrick - 5
Cleverley - 5
Welbeck - 5

Kagawa - 5

Van Persie - 7

Scholes - 7
Nani - 6
Chicharito - 5

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If people think Evra was ok today - then I wonder how poor he will have to be, to be awful.

At fault for both goals - and easily tricked by Puncheon when Lindegaard saved near post. Him and Kagawa were our 2 worst for me. Both were horribly sluggish
Evra was indeed poor (as was the whole defense) but that's daft. He's at fault because he didn't stop a cross going into the box? Right then... does that make Valencia/Rafael at fault for the second as well then?

Anyway, everyone 5, Subs 7, RVP 8.

Rossa

feck me, that was a lame argument!

ALL fullbacks are tricked by their wingers once or twice AT LEAST in any match no matter how well they played. Clichy had a brilliant match against us one time where he had Valencia in his pocket, but Valencia still managed to cross many, many times.

If you are so deluded to think that a fullback will never be fooled or beaten then I can hardly argue with you.

Today, Evra intercepted the ball numerous times in front of his attacker. At the same time, he also provided drive and energy going forwards. On top of that, he made some vital tackles and blocks. Jeeeeeez

Rossa

Evra was indeed poor (as was the whole defense) but that's daft. He's at fault because he didn't stop a cross going into the box? Right then... does that make Valencia/Rafael at fault for the second as well then?

Anyway, everyone 5, Subs 7, RVP 8.
Your first argument is great - but Valencia at 5???

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Come on - Rio played a great game. Without him we would've conceded at least two more goals. Great interceptions, and almost scored a goal, which turned into a goal still.

Most players did well, but a few struggled which left us exposed.
Maybe im bein a bit harsh on Rio for his first game back. I'll watch it again when the emotions calm a bit

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Lindegaard: 6.5 - no saves and no chance with the goals but poor distribution
Rafael: 6- another mistake will he ever learn? good going forward
Rio: 7 - ring rusty but calming influence
Evra: 7,5 -played well apart from slip

Valencia: 8 -we starved him of possession but he's such a danger
Carrick: 5- sloppy improved with the ginger prince
Cleverley: 5 - no influence what so ever today
Welbeck: 5- poor looked like a square peg in a round hole
Kagawa: 5 -looked like he struggled physically
RVP: 8.5 - our man of the match

Nani: 6 -average nice corner added a threat though
Scholes: 8- class apart on the ball
Chicharito: 6 - good movement dragged the defenders all over the place

Robbie Boy

Evra did not play well. Puncheon gave him a run-around at times. How he can get above a 5 is beyond me, a 6 is even generous.

Rossa

Evra did not play well. Puncheon gave him a run-around at times. How he can get above a 5 is beyond me, a 6 is even generous.
Puncheon fooled him once, inside the penalty area, which was a good move from him and Evra shouldn't tackle there - Lindegaard should save those 10/10.

He made a couple of crosses, but it is nigh on impossible to close down a left footed right winger like that. The first goal can hardly be blamed on Evra. Are we the only supporters who don't expect crosses into our box? It really is absurd. :houllier:

Ash_G

Lindegaard: 6.5 - Distribution was poor at times, but didn't make many mistakes
Rafael: 6.5- Good in attack, left exposed in the air, should have had more protection from Rio
Rio: 6 - Not authoritive, sloppy at times. May be rusty, Evans might have been in better shape to start this match.
Vidic:6- Still on the comeback trail, not the dominating player we know and need. Dallied on the ball too much
Evra: 7- Good in attack, got caught out a bit in defence but wasn't helped by his centrebacks

Valencia: 7 -Felt he could have taken on players more, but put in a few good balls
Carrick: 6.5- Left to do all the work in the middle, did what he could but was sloppy at times.
Cleverley: 5 - Showed considerable naivety in his approach and looked to get forward too quickly and too much. Will need to learn discipline. Needed someone to give him some guidance.
Welbeck: 5.5- Worked hard but just didn't go well for him. Kept coming centrally when we needed him to give some width or make some runs behind the defenders.
Kagawa: 6 -Looked surprised by the commitment shown by Southampton and the pace in the game. Wasn't helped by clev and Welbeck being way to close to him, needed someone other then RVP trying to get behind.
RVP: 8.5 - Constant threat and redeemed himself after a terrible pen

Nani: 6.5 -Wasn't great but added width and threat to the left hand side. Better delivery from corners as well.
Scholes: 8- Sadly he still showed more determination and will to win that anyone else. If teams sit off he will pick them apart. Class player.
Chicharito: 6.5 - good movement and stretched the defenders, opening up some space. Some nice touches too, unlucky not to score.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Lindegaard - 7 Didn't cost us a goal by being a fanny.

Rafael - 6 Every Southampton attack became a game of "spot the inapprpriate defensive position Rafael has taken up"...with the exception of the ones where he wasn't actually anywhere on the screen. Set up a goal despite miscontrolling the ball and falling over.
Evra - 6 The problem wth playing Welbeck as a left winger is that it means you're playing Patrice Evra as a left winger, and a left back. Back in the days when there were three Patrice Evra's on the pitch, this was less of a problem.
Rio - 5 A nice surprise to see him back in the team. Pity no one bothered to tell him until about an hour into the game
Vidic - 4 This isn't going to stop until he shaves his hair off.

Valencia - 7 He was doing well until Carrick started drawing everyone slowly over to his side of the pitch and then playing him hospital balls
Carrick - This is the fourth year in a row he hasn't got himself properly fit for the start of the season and has looked hopelessly off the pace as a result.
Cleverley - 6 Hard when your zombie midfield partner doesn't pass you the ball until about a second after you were planning to have passed it yourself.
Welbeck - 5 A right footed striker playing on the left wing by milling around in the middle of the pitch.

Kagawa - 6 See Cleverley

Van Persie - 9 Is it possible for one player to both lose and win you the game?

Scholes - You wont see a better sub appearance than that (until the next time Liverpool bring Henderson on)
Nani - A bit rubbish
Chicharito - Made runs. Didn't start them from offside positions or miscontrol the ball into the middle of Asia. Encouraging.

VanNistelrater - 10 Not dead

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Lindegaard : Not much he could do about the goals. Must pass the ball better
Rafael - 7: Tried his best to deal with being targeted aerially by Lambert. Only succeeded in stopping him twice. Very god going foward
Vidic - 6: Off the pace for most of the game ada bit too rough at times
Rio - 6: average
Evra - 6: Got dragged infield at times needlessly. Dealt with being targeted aerially well save for that one slip. Wasn't at his best going forward

Valencia - 7: Top cross for RVP. A constant threat but with erratic crosses

Carrick - 5 : Completely complacent with his passing. Only his long balls were consistently good.
Cleverley - 3: Impersonated Liam Miller

Kagawa - 6: started well. But totally man marked out of proceedings by Schneiderlin due to the awful service Carrick and Cleverly provided

Welbeck - 6: Made all the effort when he had the ball but suffered the most from the lack of intelligent and consistent service from center midfield.

Van Persie - 9: Constant threat, terrible penalty, stop draw goals. Yet he is still not at 100% as some of his handling of Carrick's immaculate long balls showed. Finally we have another game winner in our ranks.

Scholes - 10: saved our bacon. Too control of our game and midfield before Southampton could put us to the sword.

Nani - 7: provide excellent width, helped win the penalty an on the game with that wonder corner.

Hernandez - 6: His movement allowed RVPto giver their defence the slip and score the winner. For once his touch and link play was rather good.

jem

Lindegaard - 6: Couldn't do anything about the 2 goals. Great backup keeper.

Rafael - 5: His defensive positioning is becoming a real worry. A shame as he is great to watch in attack.

Vidic - 5: We should probably be patient given that he's only 3 games into his comeback after a long layoff. That being said, we need the old Vidic back.

Rio - 6: Extra point for the thumping header that led to our 2nd. Looked well off the pace at times.

Evra - 5: I actually thought he'd made a decent start to this season. However, he reverted to last season's form in this game. End product was awful as usual.

Valencia - 6: Good cross for RVP's first, but his crossing on the whole has been pretty shaky this year. He showed that he had a left foot last week, but it seemed to have disappeared again today. As a result, his crossing game gets a bit predictable. Still dangerous though.

Carrick - 3: Absolutely awful. Here's hoping there are no lingering effects.

Cleverley - 5: Anonymous. Looks the part, but just isn't ready to stamp his authority on games (at least on a consistent basis.)

Kagawa - 5: Wasn't coming off for him at all. Even his first touch seemed a bit dodgy. Did have one decent attempt at goal.

Welbeck - 4: Not really his fault, but he should never start on the wing again. I'd rather play Rooney out there (I know he wasn't available today.) At least he's had some success in that position.

Van Persie - 8: Loses a point for that penalty, but what a player. The definition of a match-winner.

Scholes - 7: I found it hilarious that some were complaining about his coming on, saying that he'd slow us down. His composure and accurate passing are what allows attacks to build up speed and put the opposition on the back foot. None of that was happening before he came on.

Nani - 6: Made a difference and should always start over Welbeck on the wing. Corners were awful as usual, until he finally clipped one onto RVP's head for the winner. Vintage Nani: even when he's a bit off, he's usually good for one difference-making moment.

Hernandez - 6: Looked more composed than he has in a long time. If he can get back to his form from two years ago, we'll have a brilliant strike option to bring off the bench.

Vibhas

Lindegaard - 4.5 If De Gea played like this I'd be worried. Not much he could do about the goals, but I think De Gea would've done more. Plus, when they did take pot shots his positioning was suspect.
Rafael - 5.5 Good going forward, shoddy for the 1st nervous.
Vidic - 6 Still coming back, didn't do too badly, covered sometimes.
Rio - 6.5 First match back, not too bad. Needs to unrust.
Evra - 7.5 Didn't do much wrong apart from the goal. Didn't get beat, attacked well when he had a winger to play with (He couldn't link with Welbeck).
Valencia - 7 Our only constant threat. Looked to get to the byline, won some corners and had some good crosses.
Carrick - 6 Pretty poor, apart from some good balls. 1st game in CM for 4 months though.
Cleverley - 4.5 Didn't impose himself, gave the poor ball for Kagawa which got robbed.
Kagawa - 5.5 Looked half the player that he was in the first matches. Will come back stronglyl
Welbeck - 3.5 Wasteful in possession, Paddy/Rafael far stronger attacking threats. If De Gea deserves to be dropped for his mistake, Welbeck should be dropped for much longer; esp. considering RvP is immovable by anyone bar Messi in that ST position. (Welbeck's a terrible wide forward on the 10 matches hes played there).
Van Persie - 9 Much more involved in our play, won a pen, got 3 goals Missed the pen almost cost us a point, but great quality finisher. He would've also expected to do better with the chances he got; SCARY. Based on DDG's harsh dropping, I expect RvP to sit on the bench for his penalty and Javier to start.

Yes, I'm still annoyed at DDG's harsh dropping.
We could've dropped every single player today, and every day, for doing a mistake. In fact, the CAF had De Gea as the #2 player of the month behind Kagawa, which included both (all) matches we've played till the 'dropping'.

Scholes - 7.5 Offered great attacking impetus, drove the team forward
Nani - 7.25 Catalyst for Paddy going forward, made them defend wider because they had to worry about 2 wing threats as well as Javier stretching them and RvP being RvP.
Hernandez - 7 Stretched their defence, got into very good positions, made good runs and almost nicked a goal twice. Great covering defending, but again, I'm worried he's lost some pace.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Lindegaard - 3 - actually believe PIG was a better keeper than this guy. Just do not like him at all

Rafael - 5 - meh
Vidic - 4 - meh
Ferdinand - probably the best member of the defence but still meh
Evra - 4 - meh

Valencia - 6 - meh
Cleverley - 4 - very ineffective
Carrick - 4 - hopefully a one off but very dissapointing
Kagawa - 3 - worst player on the pitch
Welbeck - 3 - joint worst player on the pitch

RVP - 7 - 3 good finishes but a poor pen and all round game

Scholes - 6 - game changer and even he wasn't that good
Nani - 3 - finally a good corner kick but that shouldn't digress from how awful he was
Hernandez - 6 - looked very sharp, encouraging....

Enigma_87

You know who
Lindegaard - 6: Not at fault for the goals but his kicking was just meh...

Rafael - 5: Hard to play striker and a right back at the same time.

Vidic - 5: not fit. Way off the pace.

Rio - 5: see Vidic.

Evra - 5: at fault for the second. Getting caught in possession is something that we have become used to nowadays.

Valencia - 7: dangerous. Made mistakes but overall he was something positive. Put some excellent crosses and overall I think he did good.

Carrick - 1: If he forgot he had to travel for the match that would actually be an upgrade to our midfield today.

Cleverley - 3: hopeless. No sense of positioning, no creativity, no ideas, was like plastic bag in the wind when off the ball.

Kagawa - 5: not his day. Having a midfield of Carrick and Cleverley didn't help.

Welbeck - 4: When Fergie didn't succeed in his plan converting an AM in Anderson to CM, I see Welbeck on the wing as his next project.

Van Persie - 9: I don't mind the missed peno and the missed chance when he got the pass from the right when he netted 3 times in a game in which he got supply like that. Match winner.

Scholes - 7.5: changed the game when on. Couple of misplaced passes but his authority on the field is like none other.

Nani - 6: meh.

Hernandez - 6: see Nani.

wr8_utd

:'(
Lindegaard 6

Rafael 6
Rio 6.5
Vidic 6
Evra 5

Valencia 6
Carrick 5
Cleverley 5
Welbeck 5
Kagawa 5

RvP 9

Subs :
Nani 7.5
Scholes 8
Hernandez 7

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Lindegaard - Got his chance in goal, responded by doing a poor imitation of Charlie Adam, about 40 yards deeper on the pitch.

Rafael - I don't see how anyone can reasonably expect him to do any better than win three out of the two aerial battles with Ricky Lambert that Evra set up for him.
Rio - Started playing after about an hour. Before that, he might as well have strolled around with his Twitter up on the blackberry.
Vidic - He's a bit off, isn't he? He's like the old Nemanja Vidic, only without the physical presence, or the timing, and caught in a hamster wheel side by side with the Fernando Torres of Liverpool. And I fear he's starting to take all this "rape the striker" business a little too literally. And he outzombied Michael "The start of season-zombie" Carrick. Some achievement.
Evra - Was asked to play as our "left side" today. At the moment, playing as a left back is looking a stretch to him in it's own right.

Valencia - Every time we bothered to give him the ball one v one, we scored or created a big chance. Our response? Stop giving him the ball.
Carrick - If you're not going to do anything with the ball other than playing a pass to your midfield partner, why bother to take 7 touches on the ball, giving your midfield partner approximately -3 seconds to do anything with the pass? Walking Dead. Extra.
Cleverley - Walking Dead. Victim.
Welbeck - A striker, asked to play left winger, solving the task by following Kagawa around, tripping in his own and Shinji's heels by turn. Taken off due to moving off the ball, which is apparently not allowed at United.

Kagawa - At the time he got played the ball by Carrick, he had dropped so deep they could probably have a willy waving sword contest - in addition to having his back against the goal, two Southampton players hanging onto his shirt, and Danny Welbeck following him around asking him about stuff like geography and maths.

van Persie - If you ever try a panenka while chasing a game again - you'll probably just score another two goals out of nothing. Actually looked like he had a purpose today.

Scholes - Urgency. Note to Carrick/Clev: When your 67 year old gymnastic teacher looks like a Javier Hernandez interview in fast forward compared to you, you better sort it the fecking out.

Hernandez
- Non offside, decent touch-version of Hernandez? Bye Rooney.

Nani - Even whilst clearly being in shite form, he was an actual left winger playing on the left. Note to Fergie: It works better than not having a left winger, or playing a striker or Albert Morgan there.

Southampton - Even while clearly performing the best they'll do all season, they lost quite inevitably due to defending I wouldn't allow in the Sunday League. Going down me thinks.

buckooo1978

Lindegaard-5.5
Rafael-5
Vidic-6
Ferdinand-5.5
Evra-4.5
Valencia-6.5
Carrick-5
Cleverley-4.5
Kagawa-6
Welbeck-4.5
Van Persie-8

Scholes-7
Nani-7
Hernandez-5.5
Add one to Scholes and we got a deal

jem

Scholes - Urgency. Note to Carrick/Clev: When your 67 year old gymnastic teacher looks like a Javier Hernandez interview in fast forward compared to you, you better sort it the fecking out.

:lol: Not all of the jokes came off in that post, but this was classic.