Raul Meireles

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Anderson is a potential star and Hargreaves was a very important part of one of the major teams in Europe, Meireles is neither.

Would be strange to see us pay £15m for someone who's not going to be a starter, but maybe it just reflects the market really. Can't see it but who knows.
15m is not too much for a very good squad player.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Certainly don't think we will be signing him, or anybody else.

New signings will be unveiled today at 2pm, and I fully expect Fergie to say there will be no more business done.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
abola.pt

Otamendi to come out and Raul MeirelesBy Victor Queiroz

Two relevant facts on the eve of a crucial game for the European aspirations of Dragons: Raul Meireles not be called again, which reinforces the idea of being outgoing and safely to England, and in terms of hiring, Nicolas Otamendi now appears more Favorite place to Bruno Alves, FC Porto have since dropped Toloi definitively.

Less than two weeks of the closing of the window in summer, the two main positions open in the squad of FC Porto won yesterday stronger, with new facts to allow a clearer assessment of each of these cases.

First Raul Meireles for the second consecutive time, despite being trained on for three weeks, Meireles was not called to play in Belgium, a cautionary signal that could not pass unnoticed. It is indeed with foot and a half away, and need to know the essentials: how and where.

With the sale of Ozil to Real Madrid, Manchester United replaced by Raul Meireles far as the main target. Alex Ferguson had told him several British newspapers, such as 'The Guardian' and 'Mirror'. Ferguson Ozil assumed that, by age (21 years) would be the ideal bet for a club that likes to see players grow at home, but since then (about two weeks) Ferguson feared the purchasing power of the Real.

Whether the central defender, there is strong evidence that FC Porto may have finally turned the needle for Velez, which means dropping Rafael Fool.

Thus, the maximum possible gains strength Otamendi, a player 22 years but already in full statement. Captain of Velez Sarsfield, 2009 Clausura champion, voted massively by the public as best player in Argentina this year, this World Cup in 2010, is a star on the rise by whom Velez asked for a year $ 15 million.

According to local sources, FC Porto will pay up to EUR 6 million (over seven million dollars) for 70 percent of the pass.

Another story linking us with Meireles, with Meireles being left out of the squad for the CL game again tonight.

add to the Gibson story and to this from monday ManUtdPortugal - @BenHibbs @stevebartram1 @nickcoppack We understand that Manchester United have been in touch TODAY with FC Porto about Raul Meireles for some more muppet fun.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Signing for Marseilles from what I've read.

mufcwarm92

Average player, massive twat. If we did sign him, which I doubt, I would be underwhelmed, to say the least.

Longsden_7

Average player, massive twat. If we did sign him, which I doubt, I would be underwhelmed, to say the least.
Whats your basis for both these statements? I thought he looked good at the WC and what I have seen of him at Porto.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Lailiani posted this at Post 39:

Manchester United will go for Porto midfielder Raul Meireles if they fail to land Mesut Ozil.

Sunday Mirror Sport revealed last week that United were refusing to meet Werder Bremen’s £12million valuation on Germany playmaker Ozil, despite Sir Alex Ferguson making a trip to Fulham to check on the player in a pre-season friendly.

With only one year left on Ozil’s contract, United are willing to pay only £8m – and that has given Chelsea and Real Madrid the edge in the race to sign him.

That has forced Ferguson to cast his net elsewhere - and 27-year-old Meireles is now on United’s radar.

United were quoted £15m when they enquired about the Portuguese international last week. That is more than Ferguson wants to pay, but with United now outsiders to land Ozil they may have to dig deep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I dont believe media tripe, but this part annoyed me if true:

"United were refusing to meet Werder Bremen’s £12million valuation.."

As far as i can recall for the WC, yer man Meireles is a different type of player to that of Ozil, so i dont see how Meireles can be an alternative signing.

Personally speaking, I feel we need defensive back-up in mid-field & Meireles impressed me in that regard at the WC.

Would be great if this was cleared up, because its plain to see that £12m for him would have been excellent business.

My gut feeling was he wanted to play in Spain, but since Barca never came in for him I thought there was a good chance he'd come to United. If its true that we wouldnt pay the asking price so he ended up at Real, then thats pretty feckin annoying, given the fact that we're now being linked with yer man Meireles - who wont go on the cheap (over £10m) & isnt even near the player Ozil is!

Sorry for being a transfer numpty with this, but we better not end up paying the same amount for Meireles (if we're even interested) that we could have paid to get Ozil!

Mainoldo

Lailiani posted this at Post 39:

Manchester United will go for Porto midfielder Raul Meireles if they fail to land Mesut Ozil.

Sunday Mirror Sport revealed last week that United were refusing to meet Werder Bremen’s £12million valuation on Germany playmaker Ozil, despite Sir Alex Ferguson making a trip to Fulham to check on the player in a pre-season friendly.

With only one year left on Ozil’s contract, United are willing to pay only £8m – and that has given Chelsea and Real Madrid the edge in the race to sign him.

That has forced Ferguson to cast his net elsewhere - and 27-year-old Meireles is now on United’s radar.

United were quoted £15m when they enquired about the Portuguese international last week. That is more than Ferguson wants to pay, but with United now outsiders to land Ozil they may have to dig deep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I dont believe media tripe, but this part annoyed me if true:

"United were refusing to meet Werder Bremen’s £12million valuation.."

As far as i can recall for the WC, yer man Meireles is a different type of player to that of Ozil, so i dont see how Meireles can be an alternative signing.

Personally speaking, I feel we need defensive back-up in mid-field & Meireles impressed me in that regard at the WC.

Would be great if this was cleared up, because its plain to see that £12m for him would have been excellent business.

My gut feeling was he wanted to play in Spain, but since Barca never came in for him I thought there was a good chance he'd come to United. If its true that we wouldnt pay the asking price so he ended up at Real, then thats pretty feckin annoying, given the fact that we're now being linked with yer man Meireles - who wont go on the cheap (over £10m) & isnt even near the player Ozil is!

Sorry for being a transfer numpty with this, but we better not end up paying the same amount for Meireles (if we're even interested) that we could have paid to get Ozil!
To be fair i think he personally choice Madrid and probably told SAF that when he sin him at Fulham. We may have tried to haggle about the price but if he wanted to go somewhere else we wouldn't have got him regardless. Isn't Raul like 27?? Seriously can't Fergie find someone better and not bloody Portugese..

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
To be fair i think he personally choice Madrid and probably told SAF that when he sin him at Fulham. We may have tried to haggle about the price but if he wanted to go somewhere else we wouldn't have got him regardless. Isn't Raul like 27?? Seriously can't Fergie find someone better and not bloody Portugese..
Thats what I'd like to believe alright & I suppose when i reflect on what Fergie said regarding him going to the Fulham - Werder friendly, that lots of teams were looking at Ozil... so maybe Fergie was told that he wouldnt come to the Prem!

Shimo

Left out of the porto squad today apparently...
Sounds like his moving some place with now being left out of two games. That he was left out of a league game which won't cup tie him makes it seem like there is something brewing for sure unless he is injured.

Erics_Collar

Apparently a deal for Gary Medel is done too.

Sensational little player, absolutely furious he's gone to them if true.

Alex

Very good signing for Liverpool, it will be interesting to see how the lad settles, but he does have quality about him and that is something Liverpool, hell any team could use.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
He's decent enough, not spectacular but a good signing.

Devilton

Not too bothered. He's just about ok...did well enough at the WC where Ronaldo looked out of sorts and Nani wasn't playing which is why people seem to remember him. Definitely not united quality so i'm glad we were not seriously looking at him.

Mainoldo

Very good signing.. Hodgson's best business so far! However said not United quality are just kidding themselves i'm affraid.

Ekeke

Price is fine, physicality is fine, signing is good. But we'll see how they try and fit him in. He'd be best next to someone holding like Lucas or Poulsen. If they play him next to Gerrard then Liverpool may be too easily played through.

Aporkalypse

Daniel Taylor is a bitter little twat.

DTguardian Meireles linked prominently with #MUFC in last few weeks but doesn't fit into club policy of not spending big money on players 26 or above

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
Not arsed about this signing. Good player, but just a bit better than Lucas, and a huge step down from Mascherano. The decrease in quality is staggering, in their once strongest midfield in the league. From Gerrard/Alonso/Mascherano, to Gerrard/Meireles/Poulsen in just two seasons. And stick Lucas in there somewhere.

Ekeke

Daniel Taylor is a bitter little twat.

DTguardian Meireles linked prominently with #MUFC in last few weeks but doesn't fit into club policy of not spending big money on players 26 or above
Just under £11 million is big money these days?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Good signing at a good price, not as good defensively as Mascherano, but will offer a lot more going forward. Nice piece of business by Woy.

x42bn6

Not arsed about this signing. Good player, but just a bit better than Lucas, and a huge step down from Mascherano. The decrease in quality is staggering, in their once strongest midfield in the league. From Gerrard/Alonso/Mascherano, to Gerrard/Meireles/Poulsen in just two seasons. And stick Lucas in there somewhere.
He's worse than Mascherano but much more balanced, so Woy can pick different midfields as required without Mascherano.

Logan!

Have any of you gimps seen Liverpool's midfield? Even the Djemba twins would improve it and some of you are downplaying Meireles?:houllier: