Realistally how much longer could the Glazers go on?

Devil You Know

If the PL/CL remain the only competitions, probably not too long.

But I think they're waiting for the Super League and hoping the gamble will be worth it.

The recent moves from Saudi Arabia have basically made the Super League a heck of a lot more viable. It'd obviously need much better planning than the last proposal. And it'd definitely need the possibility of relegation before the public can accept it. But I think it's becoming increasingly likely we'll see something in the long run. Hence why there are suggestions that the club's asking price has jumped from £6b to £8b since the Saudis went on their spending spree at the start of the summer. PIF wouldn't have made those eye-catching moves without an eye-catching endgame in mind.

I imagine the Glazers know this, and are probably in on it as well. If so, they likely think they only need to wait 5 years to cash in on an extra couple of billion dollars. Even if the club's value depreciates in the meantime, the jump at the end of it all will have been worth the wait.

Last edited:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Not financially. And they won a two horse race because Real got an off season. We defeated the cnuts last season.
Means absolutely nothing as we didn't win the competition ourselves. They won their league, we finished 3rd. Last 10 years they've won 5 la Ligas and a CL. In what world are we not behind them?

MegadrivePerson

I keep banging this drum but the only way to actually get them out will be to damage the club financially enough that they simply have to sell.

It needs major protests that lead to games being called off like we saw against Liverpool. It needs to be constant, every single home game called off.

The reality is, not enough fans are prepared to do whatever it takes to get rid of them. The majority of people won't take the sort of direct action that is required.

theballisround

I keep banging this drum but the only way to actually get them out will be to damage the club financially enough that they simply have to sell.

It needs major protests that lead to games being called off like we saw against Liverpool. It needs to be constant, every single home game called off.

The reality is, not enough fans are prepared to do whatever it takes to get rid of them. The majority of people won't take the sort of direct action that is required.
The majority of people are normal dudes who have something else to do with their lives.

You do realize how fecking stupid it sounds to go on a protest because someone owns something you like but it's not doing what you want with it.

I'm all for Glazers out but this protesting shit is just childish.

Appletonred

In the words of George Harrison, All things must pass, even the Glazer ownership....

MegadrivePerson

The majority of people are normal dudes who have something else to do with their lives.

You do realize how fecking stupid it sounds to go on a protest because someone owns something you like but it's not doing what you want with it.

I'm all for Glazers out but this protesting shit is just childish.
This is my point in a way.

There are lots of other fans that think like you. As long as fans keep funding them, and the Glazers see potential to grow the value of their asset they aren't going to walk away unless they get an absolutely ridiculous offer.

I do agree with you that these half arsed protests are absolutely pointless.

Dan_F

Didn’t people end up with criminal records after the Liverpool protest? I’d be sacked from my job and probable best case scenario is I’m helping a state bid takeover.

Its all gone Shane Long

Would love to be a fly on the wall in their meetings, what are thinking of doing is anybody’s guess. They surely have to know that they have lost the fan base many a year ago and OT and Carrington needs a huge injection of cash to bring it up to modern times. OT is an accident waiting to happen god forbid. I know it’s not as simple as the Chelsea sale but it’s a game of who blinks first wins with them. The offers on the table are way above what we are worth, they just have to know deep down their time is up.

redshaw

Generations.

It would make sense to sell and invest in other assets but they can keep holding and hoping things will improve by luck but they seem to have non except daddy buying the club for them. We could drop out of the top 20-30 clubs and they'd still hold on, reluctant to sell or risk buying something else. It's a big brand with upside even if left to sleep for a long time.

croadyman

I think today something changed in me.

I finally came to the realisation that we are done until there is real change. Our spending is now so curtailed that even if the Glazers had a change of heart and invested in the club, we’d still be fecked because of FFP. We can’t even bank on being Manchester United and musclling our way through with inefficient, albeit vast, spending. So much overspending over the years on the wrong players with huge wages, in an incoherent and scattergun fashion, and subsequently making huge losses on them has finally caught up with us.

We’re fecked. Getting back to the top always felt like a matter of when, now it feels like if.
Yeah we are definitely done as a top club unless they sell up,hate thinking it but there looks to be no light at the end of tunnel

Maticmaker

As long as they feel they can make money.

The Glazers bought the club as a business deal and nothing else; their intention seems to have been (like they did formerly with their Property Developments) that they grow the value of the asset and then sell. The fact that Woodward went back to J P Morgan many believe that was the 'green light' for the Glazer's to think seriously about selling.
They paid £0.8 B and are reputed to be selling (if they do) at around £5-6 B that's is some 'asset growth'. Other things that might persuade them either way;

1) If a new Super league (Mk2) does arrive United's value will skyrocket, (so no sale, hang on)
2) OT needs massive updating or a new stadium to be built, cost unknown but must be in the region of £1-2 B ( so sell)
3) Business acumen alone won't keep a club like United going successfully unless somebody who knows how to run a modern mega football club is brought onboard, but it's still a gamble, because the internal management and admin structures appear to be in a mess ( so on balance sell ,before it gets worse!)

*feel free to add any more reasons to sell or to hold on

Giggsy13

As long as they want unfortunately. They’ve straddled the club with debt, so they could care less the direction the club takes.

m1tch

As long as they want to, they've shown time and again that they're totally impervious to fan opinion of them.

Zlatattack

It won't change until we boycott the club.

Don't watch matches on TV, don't buy merchandise, don't attend matches, stop buying tickets.

RedDevil@84

They can technically go on and on. But I am not sure if they can get anymore money than they are getting now.

Von Mistelroum

It's hard to say without being an expert, but I'm guessing a few decades at least.

I have noticed less and less United shirts around where I live and suddenly loads of City shirts where I'd never seen even one before a couple of years ago. While we play tumescent, drab and uninspiring football we'll slowly lose the younger generations. Once our fanbase starts to dwindle, that's when sponsorships will do the same, money coming in will slowly dry up to the point where they can't extract why more money (or the club goes bankrupt) and at that point whichever Glazers are in charge will have to walk away.

philippexyz

Under their ownership, United is an obviously depreciating asset. So, the longer they stay the relative strength of United as a brand, compared to other clubs is only going to deteriorate. I'm assuming that they're not mentally ill(simple-minded idiots) and that they understand that. We're probably gaining less and less of younger fans in recent times compared to some other clubs, you all understand why. That will reflect in declining sponsorships, popularity, cultural relevance etc. in the future. Winning is essential, it's pretty simple.

Eventual path of United with their leadership is first midtable obscurity and then relegation and bankruptcy/administration. So, unless they really want to completely obliterate the club(maybe they're secret hardcore Liverpool fans, who knows?), they have to sell the club at some point - it would be incredibly foolish, brainless not to, from the financial point of view.

It's better for them to sell while the club still has big brand value and is at least battling for top 4 in the PL, before the midtable irrelevancy phase that is coming eventually with them staying, or even worse(bankruptcy/administration/relegation).

So, my guess is that they're not witless idiots and that they will sell the club while it's still at least somewhat relevant as a brand(like, right now). They're probably not going to wait for significant further depreciation and the next destructive phases I've described above. Club clearly needs significant money injection that they can't/won't provide(Old Trafford, Carrington facilities, debt interest rates...), there is no space really for more debt.

This current sale process might drag on for a long time, like a war of attrition. It might even take a couple(maybe up to 5) years, but they likely will be gone. The club is a ticking time-bomb and the Glazers are getting closer at blowing it up. They probably have no choice but to sell, even reluctantly.

Keeping hold of this club in status quo doesn't make financial sense in the long run, unless the Super League project is revived, but i hope it's truly dead and it won't come back. At least it looks like it won't, there is no significant buzz, support for it from what i see. Doesn't fit culturally with European philosophy of sport and competition.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Every chance we would have. That's what.
Totally disagree but not really the point, its a totally hypothetical situation.

In actual fact, theyve actually won shit in the past decade, and we havent. It's comical to suggest they're behind us in footballing terms because they're quite clearly not.

Remember the geese

Totally disagree but not really the point, its a totally hypothetical situation.

In actual fact, theyve actually won shit in the past decade, and we havent. It's comical to suggest they're behind us in footballing terms because they're quite clearly not.
We aren't talking about the past decade. They aren't all that.

Jacob

I pointed this out in the sale thread a while back but they are under no pressure whatsoever to sell, they can just let the club slide down the table slowly if they wanted to by reigning in our spending more and more and giving out lesser and lesser contracts. Their only worry is paying off interest/loans which the club can basically do itself if they handicap transfer outlay.
They would never do this because it lowers the resale value of their asset (the club).

Kill3r7

They will stick around until either the TV bubble pops or the cost of renovating the stadium gets to be too much to stomach. The team generates more than enough revenue to keep the sporting business running. ManUtd is basically passive income for the Glazers.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
We aren't talking about the past decade. They aren't all that.
Neither are we pal but they're coming off league win and we're coming off a league cup :lol:

There's no shame in admitting Barcelona are a better footballing side than us currently.

I Am Zlatan

I don’t think they can hang on much longer.. We don’t have money, we can’t compete with our top 4 rivals it seems (as far as signings), no structure, and a stadium that needs to be renovated, unfortunately we are a sinking ship currently, and surely the value will drop if it continues this way (from my very basic knowledge admittedly).

They haven’t taken dividends out the last two quarters if I remember correctly.. Logically, in my opinion, it can’t be much longer, however I’m also a pessimist now (with the sale delay), and can’t even imagine them gone.

tomaldinho1

I bet you can't if United fall down to the bottom half
I think there'd be a limit but the PL is so lucrative and then you look at how Ashley ran Newcastle and made money despite relegations and the fear sets in.

RuudTom83

A prolonged period outside the Top 6 would do it. Qualifying for the CL each year is like having an extra Christmas for that scum.

Hughie77

Until they all die, and it's left to the grandkids who don't give a shit about Soccer and Sell OT, sell Carrington to be put as a potatoe field .

Blood sucking bottlers .

rajds89

They’ll stay until someone is mad enough to over pay for the club. Until then they’ll continue to take money out of the club and hold us back like the greedy cnuts that they are.

Kryptonite

It won't change until we boycott the club.

Don't watch matches on TV, don't buy merchandise, don't attend matches, stop buying tickets.
Pretty much this, all they care is about is money. However the global fan base is so large that there will always be someone to replace the boycotters.