Realistically who's likely to be leaving ?

davidmichael

So we've had a pretty good transfer window so far with Bailly and Ibrahamovic officially signed, it looking nailed on that Mkhitaryan has signed with Dortmund saying he has and it becoming a serious possibility about Pogba returning but with all the incoming and money outlayed they'll have to be some outgoings so who is realistically likely to go ?

Fringe player wise obviously people like Tyler Blackett will but I'm thinking more first team than fringe/reserve team players. With Mkhitaryan coming in I can seriously see Mata going whilst I can also see Rojo, Darmian, Fellaini, Schweinsteiger and Depay all also leaving too.

Lentwood

I don't expect there to be a major desire to ship anybody out just yet. New managers often want time to evaluate their current playing squad so I would be surprised if Mourinho is much different

Only obvious one is Mata - Mourinho has worked with him before so knows all about his limitations as a player and we could realistically expect £25-30m so seems a good time to sell

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Just Rojo and Mata I reckon.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So we've had a pretty good transfer window so far with Bailly and Ibrahamovic officially signed, it looking nailed on that Mkhitaryan has signed with Dortmund saying he has and it becoming a serious possibility about Pogba returning but with all the incoming and money outlayed they'll have to be some outgoings so who is realistically likely to go ?

Fringe player wise obviously people like Tyler Blackett will but I'm thinking more first team than fringe/reserve team players. With Mkhitaryan coming in I can seriously see Mata going whilst I can also see Rojo, Darmian, Fellaini, Schweinsteiger and Depay all also leaving too.
Not too many players will be leaving - perhaps Rojo, Fellaini, McNair, Blackett, Will Keane and one of Valencia, Varela, or Darmian

Acole9

Outstanding
It's difficult to tell but it doesn't look like anyone will be moving on soon, I think Mourinho wants to give everyone a chance. In a few weeks I can definitely see Rojo being sold, Mata will most likely be sold too, Wilson to go out on loan and Blackett to go out on loan or be sold.

CM

Any of Fellaini, Rojo, Young, Blind, Mata or Schweinsteiger could go I reckon. Plus a couple of the younger players like Blackett and McNair.

Red Ryan

Starter of Rubbish Threads
Jose's always went for physical strength in his sides so I can see more of a role for Fellaini than Mata even if it is only a bit part squad player.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Mata Rojo maybe Blind (LVGs guy)

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I hope Mata doesn't leave but he might be sold.

Fellaini/Rojo I think will go.

Red Ryan

Hopefully Rooney, Rojo and Herrera will all be out the door.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'd be sad to see Blind leave but there seems to be a lot of rumours about it. I hope they are nonsense. He's the least of our worries and one of our better players.

Not sure who else could go. Unless we buy another CB, I don't see Rojo leaving, as I'd doubt Mourinho would keep Blind at CB if he's not sold. Smalling, Bailly and Jones isn't enough.

Mata is the only one that seems likely, only because it has happened before. But at Chelsea, he had players he preferred at #10 and out wide. Will Mourinho have that here right away?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Mata and Blind though there's others I'd have out ahead of them. Just don't see either being content with the roles Mourinho would have in mind.

I don't think there's anyone we particularly need to get rid of. Some of the players aren't good enough for the level we want but we just don't have enough of them to be ditching people. There's no one who comes across particularly lazy or toxic.

Darmian was ourworst player last season for me but we don't have any fullbacks.

m1tch

Given a choice between Rooney and Mata then I know which one I'd prefer to stay. The pessimist in me says it'll be Mata on his way.

snk123

Mata, Rojo and Fellani realistically.

Mata, Rojo and Fellani ideally.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Its still too early to say. However Ibra's and Mkhitaryan's signing will probably bring Mata's and Fellaini's United career to an end. Mkhitaryan is a no 10 and will add competition in already over staffed area (Fellaini, Mata and Rooney). Also Ibra is a 6.5ft giant which makes Fellaini pretty much redundant.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Jose's always went for physical strength in his sides so I can see more of a role for Fellaini than Mata even if it is only a bit part squad player.
Ibra is a 6.5ft giant and Mou seem busy to add taller/physical players in the team (Ibra, Bailly and hopefully Pogba). We wont be needing a target man whose only good in adding inches and physicality to the team

cfkane

Remember that LVG gutted the club and we were thin in numbers already. Unless he signs 5 or 6 players total I can't see too many leaving. maybe 2 or 3 total. Can see Blind going, unless he is content to be a squad player, which he is best suited for anyway.

Red Ryan

It's on Twitter that Mata is going for 25m to Everton.

D1VSP

Looks like Mata is on his way to Everton, shame very good player but we never really got to see the Juan Mata of Chelsea

Slavkov

I may say what I hope will happen but personally, I am of the opinion that we cannot reallistically answer that question.

As far as our defence is concerned, I would like to see Mcnair and Blackett go as I do not think their qualities justify their place in the squad. I really hope that Blind and Rojo stay because they can be extremely useful squad players that can fill in a number of positions (Rojo- Cb, Lb; Blind -Cb,lb, dmc).

My opinion about our midfield is probably very different to that of a lot of people here. I will be delighted to see Lingard go. Honestly, I cannot see anything to his game that could justify his place in the team, he cannot beat people, he cannot create anything, cross, and so on.I think Mata does not even resemble his former self and we should sell him as fast as possible. Herrera will also leave for me. After two years I have not seen anything from him, he is just a mediocre player. I can say the same about Schneiderlin but would give him another season but I have seen absolutely nothing from him whatsoever to justify his place.I can definitely see Felaini staying because of his physique and the fact that he gives some tactical addvantages to the team.

Finally, we must sell Wazza. He is definitely past it and we must cash on him. The problem is that he would not want to leave but he is just a hindrance and the whole team is much weaker when he is on the field.

I have no idea whether I am right or wrong but I just state my opinion...

Last edited:

drmuji

Matador (I really want him to stay though)
Rooney (That's my wish)
Fellaini (really hate the way we start playing when he comes in but I guess he won't leave simply because he gives us something different)
Adnan (I don't know what is wrong with him but he has lost almost everything which made him best around the town)
Wilson (maybe sent on loan so that he can get some experience)
Rojo (because he is clumsy)

robinzx

Rojo and Rooney hopefully, but realistically probably Rojo and Mata. I reckon Mou will find a use for Fellaini.

Redguern

This is an analysis based only on the Prem squad rules. These always throw up interesting permutations and have to be a key factor in decisions about all fringe squad players. Last season, perhaps surprisingly given United's reputation for developing talent, there were only 9 'home-grown' players in our 25 man Prem squad and the minimum we must have is 8. They were Carrick, Johnstone, Jones, Keane, Lingard, Rooney, Schneiderlin, Smalling and Young.

None of the players added so far (Bailly, Zlatan, Mkhi) will be classified as home-grown though. If Pogba came back he would not be a home-grown player either as he just missed the cut-off. Also, some of last season's under 21 players step up into the full player age category (21 or over on January 1st, 2016). Memphis, Blackett and Love all fall into this category though of these only Memphis is not home-grown. Assuming that Memphis gets a chance of another year to develop at least that means we are adding at least 4 more players into the 25 who don't count as home-grown. Simple maths means that we have to lose at least three of the non-home-grown category over 21 players to make room as we can only drop one of the home-grown (from 9 down to 8).

For this reason, there has to be a lot of pressure on the places of people on the fringes of the team who are not home-grown: The likes of Varela and Romero are in this category, although Romero's place is slightly safer since Valdes left. There clearly wasn't space for the both of them long-term. Equally, it is hard to see Blackett or Love retaining a place unless more than one of the 9 'home-growns' mentioned above leave (as then they might get a free pass just to make up the 8 quota).

Thankfully, guys like Martial, Januzaj, Wilson, Shaw (amazingly!), McNair, Pereira and of course Rashford, CBJ and TFM are all still U-21 and so can stay in the squad without counting towards our 25 player quota.

By my reckoning then this makes Blackett and Love almost certainly on their way out (on loan at least) as there is no room for them. Valdes has gone already so the three other players to go are likely to be Varela (behind Darmian and Valencia and Bailly can play right back too) and probably Keane (on loan again as we have Zlat, Rashford, Martial, Wilson and even Rooney who can play 9) plus one from Rojo, Mata and Fellaini. If we have to make room for Pogba then two of them must go.

Rojo has to be a candidate with Shaw back, CBJ, Darmian and Blind capable of covering either at left back or centrally. I think Mata and Fellaini could go too but Herrera could be a surprise inclusion in the exodus if Pogba comes in.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Thread asks to name players who will realistically be leaving and several put Rooney :lol:

Rojo, Fellaini, Mata are the most likely

Hererra, Blind, Januzaj, Memphis, Darmian, Wilson, Pereira are possible also.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Rojo, Mata,

Sadly Fellaini will dodge the bullet like he always does. I also think Young's versatility and work ethic will save him. While Jones being English and homegrown(?) will be his saving, if he was from Portugal he would have been flogged.

Sylar

Ideally it would be Rojo, Fellaini and Rooney.

Realistically I could see it being Rojo and Mata. I could see Jose using Fellaini for a season, even if its limited.

ThanksBoss26

Thread asks to name players who will realistically be leaving and several put Rooney :lol:

Rojo, Fellaini, Mata are the most likely

Hererra, Blind, Januzaj, Memphis, Darmian, Wilson, Pereira are possible also.
This looks in the right ballpark for me too. Not all of them will leave but I think a couple from that bottom line will and I agree with those first three being most likely.

I'd probably add Valencia (last year of his contract) and/or Varela to that possibles list too.

Not established first teamers as such but I expect McNair and Blackett to also leave with just a year left of their contracts.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This looks in the right ballpark for me too. Not all of them will leave but I think a couple from that bottom line will and I agree with those first three being most likely.

I'd probably add Valencia (last year of his contract) and/or Varela to that possibles list too.

Not established first teamers as such but I expect McNair and Blackett to also leave with just a year left of their contracts.
I'd give Valencia the benefit of the doubt, he will probably sign a new contract. I think Mou will want to keep him and use him as a bit part player.