Reality-Monopoly Draft - FINALS: harms vs 2mufc0

With players at peak, who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
@2mufc0 Nice video on Keiser. Looks a tidy player. Seems from that limited footage he played more like a traditional winger than I had thought
Yeah, he was really one of the best true left wingers ever. I'd have Gento and Dzajic (if we qualify him as a "true" winger) ahead of him, but he has enough gravitas to compete with others like Giggs for that place

harms

Staff
I'm just a big fan of the older/deeper version of Scholes paired with the prime Keane to be the most optimal fit.
I was too — doesn't mean that every 4-4-2 needs to work like that — especially when the other player isn't Roy Keane.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Very interesting game from a tactical standpoint.
Some lovely duos all over the pitch.
Happy to see Keegan in the spotlight.
In this draft, my intention was to regularly change my story-telling for each game and make a special remake of Cruyyff's all-time eleven for the final with Krol/Keizer/Guardiola/Carlos Alberto and other players of course :(

Johan Cruyff picks all-time world XI: Pep Guardiola makes the team
By Adam Bate and Leon Yearwood
Last Updated: 06/10/16 11:15pm

Johan Cruyff’s posthumously released autobiography My Turn has revealed the legendary player and coach’s all-time world XI.

It's a typically attacking line-up but Cruyff explains the selection in detail. "For the ideal squad, I also try and find a formula in which talent is used to the maximum in every case," notes Cruyff. "The qualities of one player have to complement the qualities of another."

Lev Yashin

The former Soviet Union goalkeeper is widely regarded as the greatest in the history of the game but he makes Cruyff's XI as much for his personality as his skills. "It can hardly do any harm to have a reassuring father figure to bring all those stars down to earth," writes Cruyff.

Carlos Alberto, Pep Guardiola, Franz Beckenbauer and Ruud Krol

Brazil's 1970 World Cup-winning captain Carlos Alberto and Cruyff's old Netherlands team-mate Ruud Krol are included as the full-backs for "their insight, technique and speed" in order to stop the midfield getting over-run.

Cruyff's commitment to ball-playing defenders is confirmed by the fact that he namechecks German libero Franz Beckenbauer and Barcelona protégé Pep Guardiola in his "fantasy squad" with an onus on them to step out from the back and join in with a superstar midifield…

Garrincha, Alfredo Di Stefano, Bobby Charlton and Piet Keizer

Wing wizards Garrincha and Piet Keizer make Cruyff's team. Garrincha's dribbling skills made him the darling of Brazil, helping them to win the World Cup in 1958 and 1962, while Keizer was already a star at Ajax when Cruyff broke into the team.

Alfredo Di Stefano and Bobby Charlton are seen as an ideal pair - "tactically and technically brilliant" but players who "fit together well physically", according to Cruyff. He adds: "That puts them in an excellent position to do extra work for stylists like Keizer and Garrincha."

Diego Maradona and Pele

Football fans have long debated the relative merits of Argentina's genius No 10 Diego Maradona and the three-time World Cup-winning icon Pele, but typically given his emphasis on team play, Cruyff regards the two men as a "perfect match" in attack.

"Pele's enormous sense of responsibility connects nicely with Maradona's individualism," he writes. "I know for sure that during the match Pele would watch over Diego as a kind of guide, because footballers have a perfect sense for that kind of thing. And Maradona would give something back to Pele, which would allow him to be fully appreciated."

My Turn: the autobiography by Johan Cruyff is published by Macmillan, out now, £20.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Am I missing something with regards to Voronin getting dropped and the gentle giant now shunted to defence? Harms team looks weaker than in the semi. And what's this nonsense about Deschamps? The guy was a serial winner, the bedrock of the best club side and the finest international team of his era, whose top level pedigree shouldn't be questioned. Horrible to watch and play against, but ruthlessly and tirelessly effective.

2mufc0 looks tidy. Not totally sold on the CB partnership. Maybe it's a preference for Thuram in a slightly wider gig.

harms

Staff
Am I missing something with regards to Voronin getting dropped and the gentle giant now shunted to defence? Harms team looks weaker than in the semi. And what's this nonsense about Deschamps? The guy was a serial winner, the bedrock of the best club side and the finest international team of his era, whose top level pedigree shouldn't be questioned. Horrible to watch and play against, but ruthlessly and tirelessly effective.
Voronin was injured :(.
After watching Charles I thought that I probably prefer him to Ayala here, especially with Nilton Santos on the left — and I really wanted Riva to feature anyway.

Plus Keegan really grew on me.

harms

Staff
You can tell @2mufc0 now, we're still fighting for this game and I'll tell you, honestly, I will love it if we beat him. Love it.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Aye an unfair comment on Keane and Robson, as they were the ones who dictated play and everything revolved around them. Keane's passing was understated and underrated even, but he set the tone for us with his direct and accurate passing. In fact, it was absolutely crucial to the way we played, with his crisp and rapid in between the line passing being crucial to our direct play and the way we lined up. He was the playmaker and heart-beat of that side.
Aye, their passing and playmaking abilities seem to be frequently underrated. I like this Keane video as it gives a good sense as to how quickly and incisively he moved the ball:

Your recent stuff on Robbo has been fantastic btw.

I'm just a big fan of the older/deeper version of Scholes paired with the prime Keane to be the most optimal fit.
Fair enough, although personally I'd have a dominant box to box player like Keano as the lynchpin of a 4-4-2 any day rather than viewing him as just a supporting player. I'll stop having a go at you after this, but I'd also like it to be noted that in the past few drafts you've described Deschamps as both 'lacking workrate' and 'creative'. You really need to up your adjective game when it comes to him :D.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
You can tell @2mufc0 now, we're still fighting for this game and I'll tell you, honestly, I will love it if we beat him. Love it.
You've got my vote at least Kevin. I can't even remember what swayed me eventually as it's tough to look beyond @2mufc0 's freakishly great midfield, but you do seem to have a few more routes to goal, and Riva looks stylistically more suited to the opposition CBs than Ruud, particularly with those great wingers feeding him.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The feeling it's a game between United fans :D

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Tough match to vote in and just gave harms the slightest of edges. Commiserations @harms

Congrats on your win @2mufc0

Indeed. I'm a big fan of Scholes, but at his peak Keane was definitely the main man in that United side.

BTW I really appreciate all your and harms work on Robson mate. Such a great player. :drool:
Your recent stuff on Robbo has been fantastic btw.
Cheers.

Enigma_87

You know who
Well done @2mufc0 ! You really killed it in the reinforcement rounds.

Hard Luck @harms. Think Voronin and just 1 RR option for the final did it for you. Impressive team you got there and always nice to see a proper 4-4-2.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Well played @2mufc0. Belter of a midfield you created and those flank partnerships were 70s gold.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Commiserations @harms, really liked your team but i hoped my midfield would sway the voters , which looks like it did in the end.

Thanks @Edgar Allan Pillow for running the draft, my aim this draft was just to get a win under my belt :lol: to win the whole thing is a surprise. Thanks to all the posters who voted for my team this game and previous rounds.

Now, when's the next one? :lol: