Reality-Monopoly Draft - QF: harms vs NM

With Players at peak, who will win this match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs
............................ TEAM HARMS .................................................................................. TEAM NM ..............................................

Team harms

Building a perfect 4-4-2 is a must for every drafter. The supposed simplicity of that formation highlights every little imperfection, and it becomes an incredibly entertaining challenge to get rid of all of them.

Francesco Toldo - Complete GK: pretty much the perfect modern goalkeeper, consistent with cat-like reflexes, also great with his feet due to playing outfield during the youth
Nilton Santos - Balanced FB: Tall, powerfully built, elegant and versatile, he was usually cool under pressure, turned quickly for such a big man, tackled firmly and was always ready to surge forward and make use of his strong left foot. Before 1958 World Cup final there were serious doubts over whether he could contain the rapid and elusive Swedish winger Kurt Hamrin, who had turned the German defence inside out in the semi-final in Gothenburg. In the event, it was no contest as both Nilton and Djalma Santos seized control. Nilton completely subdued Hamrin as, on the opposite flank, Djalma did the same against the speedy Lennart Skoglund.
Paul McGrath - Complete CB: elegant on the ball and fearless in tackles, Rafa's time in Barcelona saw him becoming one of the best center backs in the world. His intelligence and leadership makes him invaluable to this side.
Roberto Ayala - Aggressive CB: In the words of Rio Ferdinand: "he was phenomenal — strong, resolute, aggressive, quick, all the attributes you need to be a top defender".
Manfred Kaltz - Attacking right back: Kaltz joins Keegan, with whom they won the first league title in Hamburg's history and produced some memorable performances (the most impressive one would be the 5:1 demolition of Real Madrid in CL semi-final). His crosses were so good, they even got their own name, "bananenflanke". In the words of Hans Hrubesch: "Manni banana, I head, goal". You should not underestimate his defensive abilities though — at some point he played as a center back for West Germany, in their post-Kaizer period.
Ryan Giggs - Rampaging LW: we all remember young Giggs - incredible pace and dribbling ability, one of those players that kept you on the edge of your seat
Bryan Robson - Attacking B2B: one of the most complete midfielders of his time, he combined great technique and goalscoring with tactical intelligence and never-say-die attitude on and off the pitch. Captain.
Valery Voronin - Defensive midfielder: a player who was capable both of man-marking the likes of Eusebio and Albert out of the game, and orchestrating the play for USSR and Torpedo. Don't hesitate to ask more about him
Luis Figo - Playmaking RW: less incisive, more creative, Figo occupies his preferred right wing in a role that saw him winning Ballon D'Or and WPOTY when the likes of Ronaldo, Zidane were around.
Diego Forlan - Complete forward: Bound to be underrated here due to his United spell, but at his peak he was simply magnificent, prolific goalscorer (2 European golden boots, and 2010 World Cup Golden Ball and Top scorer), with fantastic work-rate and all-round game. I see the dynamics working somehow similar to his partnership with Agüero for Atleti and Suarez for Uruguay.
Kegin Keegan - Free-roaming forward: Opted for Keegan in this game, mostly for his sheer drive and leadership — while Müller is a better team player, Keegan is talismanic and can single-handedly win the game for me. Say what you want about the competition, the man won 2 Ballon D'Ors and finished runner up once, all in the space of three years. Plus the amount of penalties he had won after his trademark runs, and his surprising aerial prowess — he was one of those Seeler/Passarella-esque midgets with monstrous leap and positioning.

Bench: Gianluigi Donnarumma, Thomas Müller, Luigi Riva, Dani Carvajal

Midfield

Probably the most crucial task is to find the right balance in midfield. In many games your 2 central midfielders would be outnumbered, so they both need to be outstanding defensively and physically (see Rijkaard-Ancelotti, Keane-Scholes, Schweinsteiger-Martinez), while at the same time possessing enough skill to contribute in attack, both in terms of playmaking and goalscoring.

In Valery Voronin I have the outstanding defensive presence combined with sublime technique and spatial awareness (thanks to Joga’s PR machine I no longer sound like a biased lunatic). And I’m being honest here in saying that I won’t trade him for anyone else in the pool — not that Redondo or Varela are worse, but with fine margins I’m going with the personal favorite. Partnering him, is the colossal figure of Bryan Robson. He isn’t usually mentioned alongside the very best in history, but in his career he often faced absolutely astonishing opposition (Maradona, Platini, Laudrup, Gullit, Rijkaard, Schuster, Tigana and such), and not once was he outclassed by those players, despite usually playing for a lesser side (be it England or United of 80’s) — and even outplaying them on some memorable occasions, like Maradona in 1984 or Laudrup in 1991. An all-rounded midfield powerhouse, with countless energy, great technique, anticipation and positional awareness but, above all, unrivaled winning mentality and leadership.

Not much is there to say about my wingers, just the tactical perspective maybe. I always prefer slightly lop-sided formations, and the blueprint here is Fergie-esque classic 4-4-2 with Giggs and Beckham and Bayern’s Robbery partnership. Creative, almost playmaker-ish wide midfielder on the right in Luis Figo (more akin to Beckham than to Ribery, but with added world-class dribbling ability), and the incisive runner on the other side, like Robben for Bayern or Ryan Giggs himself for United.

Bonus
Ryan Giggs on Bryan Robson's influence:
"This Sheffield United right back was kicking me in one game, giving me a few verbals and it affected me a little bit. I said to Robbo: "That right back's just said he's going to break my legs". Robbo said: "Did he? You come and play center midfield. I'm going to play left wing for 10 minutes". We swapped positions. Robbo soon came back: "Aye, you're all right now, go back over". Problem solved! I had this mentality that if Robson was playing, we'd never lose. We usually won. He had that authority. He'd tell me when I was not passing enough or dribbling too much. Him and Brucey were brilliant for me".

Defence

Nothing complicated. Nilton Santos excelled in Brazil's 4-2-4 and won 2 World Cups as a crucial part of it. He also has a history with his today's opponent, Kurt Hamrin, having previously subduing him in 1958 World Cup final. With Maldini being blocked, there is literally no better alternative for Nilton here. Paul McGrath is considered by many as the greatest defender in Ireland's and Manchester United's history, defensively he was flawless and his ball-playing skills were quite impressive for a center back. Partnering him is Roberto Ayala, the linchpin of incredible Valencia's side of 00's. In the words of his fellow colleague, Rio Ferdinand (who included him in his Champions league dream XI: "He was phenomenal, outstanding. He was 5’10 but could jump like he was 7’3. He was a typical Argentinian player: strong, resolute, aggressive, quick – all the attributes you need to be a top defender". Manfred Kaltz was a key player for Hamburg and West Germany, and his crossing from a right back position is unrivaled in history — here he joins Kevin Keegan, with whom he formed almost a telepathic understanding in the late 70's (check out Kaltz' video below).

Attack

Kevin Keegan will prove to be a vital influence here. At his peak he finished runner up and won 2 Balon d'Or in 3 years. He was THE driving force for Liverpool and won 3 league trophies (runners-up twice) , 2 Uefa Cups, an European Cup and a FA cup (runners-up once) in his 6 year stay. Keegan then led minnows Hamburg to their first title in 19 years and in the next year led them to a second placed finish behind Bayern and an European Cup final. He was a big game player and has scored in countless finals. He even had Berti Vogts (the same guy who marked Cruyff out of a WC final and dealt with the likes of Gerd Muller) tasked with man marking him in an European Cup final. This talisman will prove to be a pest in my team with his superb all-round game and incessant running. In Diego Forlán he'll find a worthy partner — the Uruguayan's work rate and creativity and prolific goalscoring (bar the United spell, of course) made him a perfect foil for the likes of Agüero and Suarez.

Tactical notes

From the tactical perspective, the game is pretty simple — 4-4-2 vs 4-4-1-1, so it'll be mostly decided in individual battles.
  • Young Ryan Giggs against Dani Alves. A lot can be said on the topic of general underrating of Alves' defensive ability, but the pace and trickery of young Giggs will certainly put him in trouble. Giggs tore apart world's best defenses — Juventus, Arsenal, you name it, and a few things in football can match the excitement produced by Giggs' dribbling on full speed.
  • Nilton Santos against Kurt Hamrin. To quote the Guardian's obituary: "At the 1958 World Cup in Sweden, Brazil introduced the four-in-line defence to the game, which Santos found ideal. Majestically, he strolled through the opening rounds – and scored a superb goal against Austria – but when it came to the final, in Solna, there were serious doubts over whether he could contain the rapid and elusive Swedish winger Kurt Hamrin, who had turned the German defence inside out in the semi-final in Gothenburg. In the event, it was no contest as both Nilton and Djalma Santos seized control. Nilton completely subdued Hamrin... ...Brazil eventually won 5-2"
  • Luis Figo against Hans-Peter Briegel. I am a fan of Briegel, and his freakish athleticism fits his fullback role perfectly, but you can't deny that he overly relied on it, sometimes losing his feet against a more skillful opponent. Briegel conceded the penalty in 1982 World Cup final by fouling Bruno Conti and his hesitation allowed Burruchaga to stay onside and score the winning goal for Argentina in 1986 World Cup final
  • Not a direct individual battle, but the difference in class between the keepers should be mentioned — I don't think that anyone would argue with the fact that Toldo is simply better (and a more proven match winner) than Diego Lopez
Now, for the rest — there will be an even battle in midfield, in fact I would've paid good money to see it. And I'd be lying if I said that I expect Kaltz to completely nullify Ribery. Alves - Charles is also a possible route to goal, although my left flank is top-notch defensively, and McGrath with Ayala are fantastic in the air. But overall I genuinely think that I have an edge here.

Video footage

He was very capable of those towering one-man defensive performances at the highest stage, no matter the opposition. Make sure not to miss out on Paul McGrath's appreciation thread: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/classic-players-paul-mcgrath.430204/#post-21107204
Robson's own favorite performance (yes, even ahead 1984 Barca, although objectively he played better that day) — the first European final for English club after the infamous ban. 34 years old Robson lead 6th placed United against Cruyff's Dream Team with Laudrup and Koeman. Needless to say, he was magnificent, an absolute must see for every United fan out there.
Just to remind everyone, as much as myself, what a player Ryan Giggs was in the late 90's. This is a crucial game against Juventus — a side that finished runners up in the last CL campaign and will go all the way to the final this year. Incredible game and performance by Giggs — and also you'll notice an interesting role that Fergie gavee him in the first half (in the second half he played as a more orthodox left winger)
You'll also see that Kevin Keegan, Hamburg's number 7, is a frequent target of his bananenflankes (as well as winning the penalty for Kaltz's first goal, for example) — those two had some serious chemistry

Team NM:

Line Up:
GK: Diego Lopez –
Solid goalkeeper, a staple for Villarreal in the past. Came through the Real Madrid youth ranks and represented them for a season too.
RB: Dani Alves – Doesn’t need an intro. One of the best (imo) modern right backs.
CB: Fabio Cannavaro – One of only 3 defenders (along with the Kaizer and Sammer) to win the Ballon D’or. We know how good he is.
CB: Karlheinz Forster – Regarded as one of the top markers in the world at his peak. European cup winner too.
LB: Hans-Peter Briegel Great defender, who had a great cross and was even good in the air. Could play anywhere across the line and in defensive midfield. However his natural position was LB. One of the best fullbacks of the 80s.
CM: Roy Keane – We are on a United forum. Nothing further to be said.
CM: Duncan Edwards – See above. I can add quotes and stories for those who need them, but again, everybody on here should know who he is and how great he was.
AM: Teofilo Cubillas – Arguably the greatest Peruvian player ever.A powerful AM who could shoot, pass and beat a man. Peru’s top scorer, and scored 5 goals in 2 world cups – something only two others can match. He will conduct the attack. Was named in the all south American team of the last 50 years in 2008.
RW: Kurt Hamrin – Still the 8th highest goal scorer in Serie A. Incredibly quick and a great dribbler, with an eye for goal.
LW: Franck Ribery – One of the best wingers of the past 10 years. He prefers to play on the left, and I probably top 5 (or better) in that position in the past 10 years
ST: John Charles – Il Gigante Buono – The gentle giant. In Juventus’ own words (via their website): Devastating is the adjective that springs to mind when you recall the power of Welsh international John Charles. Charles was the greatest - and not only in terms of stature - center forward in Juventus history. He was one of the only world class players to be world class in two completely different positions. Center forward and center back. He would have scored even more goals, (but from what I hear and read, he used to move to CB after Juve went ahead).

Tactics:
Defense:
Cannavaro and Forster are greats in their position. I have the better center backs IMO. I’d love to see the Giggs vs Alves battle – IMO Alves is well equipped to contain him. Briegel is also a tough task for Figo. I think my full backs and center backs are well equipped to handle his attack. Keegan and Forlan/Mueller are imo not the all time greats that are needed to take on Cannavaro and Forster

Midfield: Edwards and Keane in the box to box role, and Cubillas up ahead. I think we will overrun them in the middle. Add the power of Cubillas to that midfield, and I think we will run it. The opposing midfield has a lot of toughness, but quite honestly, mine has both the hardness and the skill. Keane, Edwards and Cubillas is simply better simply better than Voronin and Robson due to the man advantage, even if Keegan or Forlan drop a bit deep. This is where I’ll win the game.

Attack: An old fashioned CF, two great wingers and midfielders who will run into the box is my ideal attack – and that’s what I have here. Cubillas to pull the strings, while Ribery and Hamrin use wing-play. One in the box when the other has the ball etc. Charles will be the fulcrum. He can keep the ball or set others up, and will dominate in the air.

Why I’ll win:

• This is a United forum. I have Duncan Edwards and Roy Keane FFS
  • I’ll control the midfield
  • My center backs are great – it’s one of the better pairings to keep his attack at bay
  • My attack is deceptive – Juve’s best forward, Serie A’s 7th highest scorer, and a modern wing great. They are supported by one of the greatest AMs of all time and Scholes in midfield. As a group, they will function brilliantly.
Good luck Harms

NM

Voting for myself @harms

I honestly think I have the better team here My midfield 2 can match or exceed his, and my overall attack is better. The only are he may have an advantage is full backs

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
harms attacking duo and nm defensive duo just doesnt feel right.....can see both playing together, not a deal breaker but something seems off.
Midfield battle though :drool:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
harms attacking duo and nm defensive duo just doesnt feel right.....can see both playing together, not a deal breaker but something seems off.
Midfield battle though :drool:

It does look a little off but thinking deeper I think that's just because Forlan's later form is more fresh in people's memory. If I think back to his Atleti days I can see how it works with him leading the line and Keegan supporting but its not the "first thought" that pops into my mind if that makes sense.

I do think in general though @NM midfield is going to have the upper hand because Cubillas will drop deeper and contribute more than Keegan and combining that with Keane and Edwards gives NM a distinct advantage in midfield.

The wings are intriguing. Giggs-Nilton vs. Hamrin-Alves could go either way for me and seems like a compelling set of battles all match long.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I'd say Forlan-Keegan is a pretty excellent partnership myself. Sort of similar to the Aguero-Forlan dynamic he had going at Atletico, where they both played free-roaming 9.5 roles, without your typical static center-forward-free roaming second striker combination. Fantastic pairing for a 4-4-2 imo.

What's the issue with Cannavaro-Forster btw? Think it's solid and complementary myself.

but structurally NM can control the game via his dominance in midfield.
I do think in general though @NM midfield is going to have the upper hand because Cubillas will drop deeper and contribute more than Keegan and combining that with Keane and Edwards gives NM a distinct advantage in midfield.
It's an interesting battle in the middle of the pitch. I can see Cubillas dropping deep and linking up better with the midfield than either of Forlan or Keegan, but then again Forlan and Keegan were immense in terms of covering grounds and aiding their teams off the ball, defensively. So whilst NM's side has the edge in terms of midfield control, harms uber industrious forward duo do mitigate that edge to an extent. Whereas on the other hand, when harms has the ball, you can expect the incessant movement and dynamism of Keegan-Forlan (dropping into the areas between midfield and defense), with the forays forward by Robson to pose quite a threat for the Keane-Edwards duo (as brilliant as it is defensively).

SirMattBugsby

Advantage in midfield is okay but will it translate into goals? Harms back four seems to have things under control.

On the other hand, Kaltz has a good understanding with Keegan and his crosses plus shots are an additional goal threat. Giggs and Figo look dangerous (although I'd like to know more about Briegel) and if any midfield duo can deal with an extra midfielder, it's Voronin and Robson.

Little undecided over which CB pairing is better but McGrath-Ayala look good against Charles while Cannavaro-Forster might have their hands full against Keegan-Forlan, especially with Alves on their right and Kaltz putting in crosses from their left.

Moby

Dick
Harms team is better but Voronin and Robson seem to be a bit overpowered on here lately.

NM has the best CM on the pitch in his team.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
@oneniltothearsenal @Joga Bonito dont know, always saw Forlan as a proper second striker who needs freedom to roam on that left flank, then he was the most dangerous. Would prefer a proper striker there(like Kun in that Atletico side) rather then another roaming forward, specially considering the quality from the wings.

As for CB pair, would prefer a sweeper next to either of them. As i said from the start, both cases are not deal breaker material but from a personal point of view i would prefer something else.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@harms Why is Ayala LCB? I don't think he's left footed and with Kaltz being more aggressive surely McGrath makes more sense at LCB

NM

@oneniltothearsenal @Joga Bonito dont know, always saw Forlan as a proper second striker who needs freedom to roam on that left flank, then he was the most dangerous. Would prefer a proper striker there(like Kun in that Atletico side) rather then another roaming forward, specially considering the quality from the wings.

As for CB pair, would prefer a sweeper next to either of them. As i said from the start, both cases are not deal breaker material but from a personal point of view i would prefer something else.
Forlan was at his best roaming - it's why he didn't make it at United imo

Harms team is better but Voronin and Robson seem to be a bit overpowered on here lately.

NM has the best CM on the pitch in his team.
Pretty much this.

Advantage in midfield is okay but will it translate into goals? Harms back four seems to have things under control.

On the other hand, Kaltz has a good understanding with Keegan and his crosses plus shots are an additional goal threat. Giggs and Figo look dangerous (although I'd like to know more about Briegel) and if any midfield duo can deal with an extra midfielder, it's Voronin and Robson.

Little undecided over which CB pairing is better but McGrath-Ayala look good against Charles while Cannavaro-Forster might have their hands full against Keegan-Forlan, especially with Alves on their right and Kaltz putting in crosses from their left.
Robson and Voronin are AT BEST (imo) of course equal to Keane and Edwards. Add Cubillas and it's an easy advantage for me.

Hamrin is the 7th top goalscorer in Serie A and Charles is rated as Juve's greatest ever forward. Just because they aren't famous, doesn't mean they aren't great. Giggs is (and I hate to say this) the weakest winger in this match. IMO the order is Peak Hamrin >= Peak Figo > Peak Ribery > Peak Giggs.

If Kaltz is putting in crosses, what do you think Alves is doing? He will be doing the same thing. Similarly, Briegel on the other flank is known to be a great crosser of the ball.

Re Briegel. Known to be a no nonsense guy who was primarily LB but could play along the line and in midfield. Known to be a great crosser as well as somebody who was good in the air. is nickname is Die Walz von der Pfalz (literally "The steamroller from Palatinate"), indicating his playing style.

He had 70+ appearances for Germany in the 80s - that's no mean feat. He was one of the best full backs of his time

Enigma_87

You know who
@harms Why is Ayala LCB? I don't think he's left footed and with Kaltz being more aggressive surely McGrath makes more sense at LCB
Pretty sure Ayala played as LCB for Argentina (either under Bielsa or Pekerman). Think he'll do fine at either role tbh, especially next to Nilton.

Enigma_87

You know who
Hamrin is the 7th top goalscorer in Serie A and Charles is rated as Juve's greatest ever forward. Just because they aren't famous, doesn't mean they aren't great. Giggs is (and I hate to say this) the weakest winger in this match. IMO the order is Peak Hamrin >= Peak Figo > Peak Ribery > Peak Giggs.

To be honest I rate Figo as the best winger on the park. Maybe personal favorite, but still his peak level IMO is better than what I've seen of Hamrin.

Peak Giggs is also IMO better than Ribery.

Something like this: Peak Figo > Peak Hamrin = Peak Giggs > Peak Ribery.

Saying that I think it's pretty even game this. I'd give you advantage in the center of attack and defence(Cubillas and Charles compared to Forlan/Keegan) and Cannavaro/Forster vs McGrath and Ayala.

Middle of the park is pretty equal with Keane/Edwards vs Voronin/Robson battling it out.

I like harms wingers a tad better whilst you have advantage on RB and harms has at LB and of course Toldo is the better keeper compared to Lopez.

That is of course looking at individual quality rather than game mechanics which is more important considering both teams have pretty different approach.

Comparing the two teams I think @NM has pretty much set up perfectly playing to his team strengths. Ribery/Hamrin will offer great service to Charles, whilst Cubillas will pull the strings having Keane/Edwards protecting the defence.

I like Alves overlapping Hamrin also it's a great right flank.

On harms team - pretty straight forward - awesome midfield - very hard to find such balance like he managed in that midfield four.

The defence is pretty good also and well balanced. Think Keegan/Forlan is complimentary pairing if he's using the Atletico or the Uruguay 2010 one - think both fit the bill pretty well.

Really tight, will see how discussions pan out.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

I'd say he always has roaming tendencies but at Atletico he was the line leader and Aguero was more the supporting striker, like Keegan here. They both were pretty free but generally Forlan was the spearhead of the attack rather than Aguero.

Thing is, even if you rate Hamrin over Figo - which I don't actually - he is going against Nilton Santos who has a proven record of shutting Hamrin down. Stylistically Nilton is a bit better suited against Hamrin than either of your FBs against Figo and Giggs for me.
If your side was to win, I imagine it would be because of the dominance of the midfield. Whereas if harms wins it because he has better "four corners".

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
With respect to Ayala it wasn't that he couldn't play LCB but that he'd be better at RCB with the ball player in McGrath at the centre of a three man defense when Kaltz bombs forward.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I rate Hamrin highly but Figo is better. Especially since they shouldn't be compared against themselves and Hamrin is playing against Nilton Santos, who completely nullified him in the biggest game of his/theirs life.

harms

Staff
With respect to Ayala it wasn't that he couldn't play LCB but that he'd be better at RCB with the ball player in McGrath at the centre of a three man defense when Kaltz bombs forward.
I get what you're saying but I actually switched them because I think that McGrath is better suited to cover for Kaltz bombing forward. Don't think that playing out the back will be an issue with Kaltz, McGrath and Nilton here, and Ayala himself liked to have the ball at his feet. Especially Nilton - I'm not sure that there are comparable left backs; he rarely crossed the half line, but his long-middle passing was fantastic, as was his dribbling that helped him to put himself in the best position

Last edited:

harms

Staff
Re Briegel. Known to be a no nonsense guy who was primarily LB but could play along the line and in midfield. Known to be a great crosser as well as somebody who was good in the air. is nickname is Die Walz von der Pfalz (literally "The steamroller from Palatinate"), indicating his playing style.
If I were to create a perfect wingback from the scratch, I'd probably take Briegel's body. He was that good. But his mind wasn't up to it when he faced the best of the best, which was evident in 2 mistakes (penalty and a goal) in 2 consecutive World Cup finals. He was good enough to get to those consecutive finals though.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I get what you're saying but I actually switched them because I think that McGrath is better suited to cover for Kaltz bombing forward. Don't think that playing out the back will be an issue with Kaltz, McGrath and Nilton here, and Ayala himself liked to have the ball at his feet. Especially Nilton - I'm not sure that there are comparable left backs; he rarely crossed the half line, but his long-middle passing was fantastic, as was his dribbling that helped him to put himself in the best position
Ah ok. That makes sense

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The key here is how well placed Harms' 4-4-2 is to deal with a man in the hole. That's what this game boils down to in a nutshell. Can Charles stretch the play to create space inbetween the lines for Cubillas to exploit? Yes to a point but probably not as much as a more nimble number 9. Can Ayala and McGrath defend high and squeeze the space for a 10 to operate in? Ayala was always a bit slow but mostly excelled for a high-line playing Argentina, while McGrath has the requisite all-round physical qualities, even if it's a different game to what he faced for Ireland. Can a full-back tuck in and allow one of the defenders to step onto Cubillas? Probably not, both were all about getting up and down the flank. Can harms' front six operate as a solid defensive unit to be compact off the ball? Very much so. Ultimately, while Cubillas could quite feasibly be the match-winner here, I don't think Harms' 4-4-2 is inherently vulnerable to a man in the hole and is reasonably well placed to dealing with it. Just.

If I were to create a perfect wingback from the scratch, I'd probably take Briegel's body. He was that good. But his mind wasn't up to it when he faced the best of the best, which was evident in 2 mistakes (penalty and a goal) in 2 consecutive World Cup finals. He was good enough to get to those consecutive finals though.
Like the attention to detail in your OP there regarding those Briegel errors. As you say, there's a bigger picture in that it takes a lot of rare, sustained quality to get to two successive World Cup finals, while his performances for Verona were talismanic at times. But a point well made.
In terms of work rate, Keegan runs Cubillas off the park. But if Keane/Edwards do take control, he's bound to have a good game.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Harsh. I did research on him for a previous draft. Still class despite those mistakes. They were not systemic and I would put that to lack of concentration at peak.

NM

Extremely harsh. He was one of the greats. I would fancy him to keep Figo quiet.

Also re: Hamrin, he was 24 and became dominant AFTER that final and the stats really prove it. By that logic, I guess C Ronaldo should be judged by his poor-ish performance in the 2008 final rather than his better performances after

harms

Staff
Harsh. I did research on him for a previous draft. Still class despite those mistakes. They were not systemic and I would put that to lack of concentration at peak.
Extremely harsh. He was one of the greats. I would fancy him to keep Figo quiet.

Also re: Hamrin, he was 24 and became dominant AFTER that final and the stats really prove it. By that logic, I guess C Ronaldo should be judged by his poor-ish performance in the 2008 final rather than his better performances after
Don't think that it's harsh at all. He was a brilliant player, but anyone who'll tell me that he is on the level of Brehme/Cabrini/Zanetti etc. (which is required to stop Figo) is lying to himself — and what made him stood apart was his amazing physique. Not sure that he possesses required qualities to stop a silky and incredibly smart dribbler like Figo, who also doesn't need to beat his man to make cross. It's not a glaring mismatch, but Figo (again, best winger on the pitch) will get the better of him.

NM

Don't think that it's harsh at all. He was a brilliant player, but anyone who'll tell me that he is on the level of Brehme/Cabrini/Zanetti etc. (which is required to stop Figo) is lying to himself — and what made him stood apart was his amazing physique. Not sure that he possesses required qualities to stop a silky and incredibly smart dribbler like Figo, who also doesn't need to beat his man to make cross. It's not a glaring mismatch, but Figo (again, best winger on the pitch) will get the better of him.
I disagree with both Figo being the best winger on the pitch (I go for Hamrin) + Briegel being not the right person. I picked him specifically as he can match Figo, but this is personal opinion.

This is clearly a close game, I'd be ok with either team winning really

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Cracking game this, particularly that clash of the titans in central midfield. 6 former Utd players on the pitch too :drool:. Went for Harms for now by the closest of margins, with the quality differential between the GKs being the most obvious way to seperate the two teams. I think Giggs could play a key role here too. He has the quality on the ball to give Dani Alves plenty of trouble, but moreover I can hardly think of a top-tier winger more suited to tracking back after Alves out of possession.

mariner85

That midfield three wins it for me.
Plus Alves adds to the attacking threat, which will keep giggs back I feel. Voted for NM.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Two straight opposing views on the same aspect of game. :lol:

This is a brilliant match!
Not really that opposing TBH. I see where Mariner's coming from in terms of thinking that Edwards/Keane/Cubillas will give NM more control over the game, although I think it'll be marginal given the quality of Robbo/Voronin and the impact of Figo and Giggs. But assuming NM does have plenty of opportunities to build up attacks, which he will, Alves will peg Giggs back in those phases. My argument is just that I can't really think of many other wingers with Giggs' attacking capabilities who have as much willingness to track the opposition full back combined with his speed and tackling abilities. Some of Giggsy's slide tackles were things of beauty :drool:, and I think he'd do an uncommonly good job of mitigating against Alves' ability to brutalise teams going forward.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Both fantastic teams and a vote for either side can easily be justified. But the reason I voted for harms is because I prefer his wingers. Also captain marvel is one of my favourite united players, then you also have the issue of the keeper which harms wins.