Really, where are we now?

freddie the red

Yes I agree. I'm 63 and was hoping to see another manager have us playing for the title and Ch Lge before I pop my clogs, but every year we seem further away from it. For every glimmer of hope in one season, it turns to shit in the next it seems. I was hoping and still hope TH is the man to get us back to something like the Fergie years, but while the parasites are here, we have no chance.
I too hope EtH is the guy but so much is wrong about the club on and off the pitch that he appears to be hamstrung left, right and centre.

Addled

I am not 63 but I am closer to 63 than 53. I firmly believe Eric is the man.
We may not have a PL or CL in our immediate sights but if we stick with Eric we will achieve these goals.
We all know the Glazers are the Albatross around the neck of the club. They need to be fecked out. The sooner the better. However, please, we need Eric to get us to the next level.

FattyFooty

Underwhelming so far.

We got 6 points. We could had 1 or even 0. So happy with 6 if im going by our performances. :)

Højlund is an actual striker. I like that.

DSG

Right now we are about three quarters of the way through a radical transition.

The amazing thing is we managed to finish third and win a cup when we were further back in our rebuild.

There is going to be an element of going backwards to go forwards while new players and a new system bed in. The injuries are killing us but, assuming all our bad luck is coming at once right now, I could see us kicking on significantly come November / December. There’ll be a few tough weeks between now and then but all that pain will be worth suffering to get us where we’re going.
I'm fairly optimistic about the rest of the season, I'm liking the firm line that we're taking with under performers finally. I expect we'll be flying along soon enough, no less than 3rd in the league, last 16 or 8 in the champions league and maybe a domestic cup final.
I still think we'll have a good season this year and by the end of the season the club will be much improved from where it was when ETH became manager.

- Onana is a big upgrade on DDG in my opinion.
- Yes, we have many injuries at the moment, but when everyone is healthy our back-line is basically sorted.
- Mount / Amrabat will I think both be solid, if unspectacular, additions.
- Hojlund and Garnacho give us some real development potential in the front-line.
- the fall-out from the collapse of Greenwood / Antony / Sancho is that both Amad and Facundo should get a real chance. I suspect by year-end one of them will have surprised and be contributing regularly.
- Mainoo looks a real talent and, for once, with Casemiro ahead of him, we won't have to rush his development but can take our time to bring him on at a pace that suits him.

I'm not overly concerned by all the off-field drama. The media love this stuff and over an international break it gives them something to talk about. But, most of it will be water under the bridge a month from now. The biggest concerns for me are the age of Casemiro and Erickson. Particularly Casemiro. I hope he has another year or two of quality football left in him. I'm worried it will become another Matic situation where he's good when he first arrives but can't handle the demands of a season anymore. It would be very helpful if Amrabat, Mainoo and Mount are able to significantly reduce the minutes of Casemiro and Erickson to help extend them a little bit.
I’m with these blokes. Let’s look at positives. Garnacho deserves more time on the pitch and he’ll get it. Combination of Bruno / Mount / Pellistri / Amad / Garnacho at RW May be better than Antony anyhow. The more ETH consolidates power and gets the fans behind him, the more the Glazers will realize that don’t have the will or funds to take us to the next level. I feel like ETH is building “it’s us against the naysayers” type of mentality. I like it. Injuries are worrying, particularly along the defensive line, but Regulon is in, so we have more depth.

Hughie77

The clubs being run poorly and it's manifesting onto the pitch.. a very good season last one, the need to push on, and then the clubs embroiled in off field crap one after another. Shambolic owners and board.. all need to go.. asap

Traub

We’re not even down the toilet anymore, we’re right in the sewers

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
File under LVGs 2nd season, or Jose's last season, or oles last season.

IamBurnsey

So we are crap away from home and at home, at least one of those was good last year!!!

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Back to square fecking 1. Season over after 5 games. :lol:

No idea where we go from here mind you

Godfather

Looks like our typical season after managing to qualify for the CL. Slightly worse even.

Bwuk

Miles away.

You wonder if the players have chucked it.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Don't think we've been bad, neither vs Arsenal and Brighton.

Very disappointed, but think we've actually been unlucky with things not going our way, in crucial moments.

Our luck is horrible in terms of injuries, and Antony/Sancho.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
A goalie who is beaten by every half decent shot on target.
No good LB or CB bar two injury prone players.
Two average RBs.
Casemiro has been rubbish since last Feb.
Mason Mount isn't a CM.
No attackers who are consistent.

We are going to be in a bigger mess by the end of the season than when Ole left.

Scriblerus

So far this season is in meltdown. Greenwood gone (rightly imho), Antony quite possibly to follow, Sancho out of contention, can't shift deadwood, plagued by injuries, Casemiro looking like he's on the other side of the hill, midfield not fixed, injuries everywhere, dubious purchases (hope they come good but both Mount and Onana raise questions). Club looks rotten from top to bottom.

Appletonred

The club is in absolute limbo and yes it is because of the owners who care not a single jot about the club, there's serious distraction going on all around it and it is now obviously apparent as well as demoralising.

AndySmith1990

Don't think we've been bad, neither vs Arsenal and Brighton.

Very disappointed, but think we've actually been unlucky with things not going our way, in crucial moments.

Our luck is horrible in terms of injuries, and Antony/Sancho.
Bad luck is a cop out. The club is managed appallingly from top to bottom and as has been the case for ten years, we get what we deserve from that

KD6-3.7

Well we are only five games into the season and many (myself included) already feel like the season is over for us. But I'm of the opinion it doesn't matter who our manager is because the club is so toxic and poorly run we will simply be no different, fans just need to accept we have a squad full of overpaid but average players and that we aren't going to improve unless along with new owners that there's a massive overhaul of the clubs structure.

Jersey Heel

The only positive I can think of is that if we keep stinking, we’ll get a better draft pick. Oh wait, that’s not a thing over there.
Uh, I’ve got nothing.

led_scholes

It's weird. Apart from the Wolves game we haven't played that bad. Especially today or vs Tottenham. However, we really haven't improved alot on field and off field we are still run really poorly.

binary bot
Saudi need to save us. You know those cheap t-shirts you get like 5 in a pack? We need to do that with the players. Buy Casemiro get Martial and a few more free.

Swedish_Plumber

I’m at the stage where I might have to step away from watching until bigger change happens. It’s the same cycle again and again since fergie. Club as a whole is so far behind.

redshaw

Same place as always, in the top 6 struggle, occasionally popping up in second or third, spending huge amounts of money on hype and older players and playing poor football.

Mike Smalling

This club is going nowhere under current ownership. We’ll continue these 2-3 year cycles of ups and downs under different managers. Highs will be CL qualification and the odd domestic cup. Lows will be placing 6th to 8th.

It’s guaranteed. This is the future unless we change approach at ownership level.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We are a famous club, big name, big history, nothing present, nothing future. These kinds of defeats are not even that unusual. They happen several times a season. This is our level.

RashyGiggsy

My guess is that this will be the last year for Ten Hag. I'd thought he might be the answer, but he seems to carry too much baggage. He allows his own personal issues with players to interfere too much. He freezes some players out for little reason and overlooks problems with others. It does not make for a cohesive team. Maybe, you can get away with it at Ajax where your best players are being recruited by other leagues, so the team is constantly changing. It won't work with a team that must compete in the PL