Rebuild job needed…again

Hammondo

I am not sure what modern style of football these players can fit into.

They definitely do not consistently play a style of football.

Redfrog

Did Chelsea need a rebuild when Tuchel came in?

What we need is a better coach, when better coaching happens the mistakes we see now will stop akin to how Tuchel resolved all the issues that were there under Lampard without the need for a rebuild
Agree and what impressed me the most with Tuchel is how he manages to rotate the team. Everyone get regularly a game and you can see that is working as everyone feels involved.

Ole is the exact reverse. He wants a big squad only to have his favorites playing no matter what while alienating the others.

That’s one of the reason SAF was so good, every fringe player was part of the squad and had his contribution winning titles. Ole was a bench player for us but doesn’t know how to use the bench. He learned nothing from the great man.

DCP

Some fans are awful.
Shaw and Maguire are great examples, shaw has been one of the top players in his position in the world for the last 12-18 months. Maguire had a slow start to last season but then showed he’s one of the top centre backs in the league, he’s obviously not 100% fit right now.

Tactically we are absolutely inept with absolutely zero clear identity on the pitch.

We had a good summer with some good signings but completely missed the boat on a centre mid, which we can’t blame anyone for other than the manager and recruitment staff. Going in to another season having mcfred as your centre mid partnership and keeping out DVB and Pogba is shocking.

We’ve spent the last 2 years relying on moments of brilliance, whether from Bruno, Rashford, Martial or Pogba - and now cr7.

Even when we’ve had big wins against City and Chelsea, we’ve sat back, defended like a championship side and used pace to hit them on the break.

We go a goal down or even 2 and our players just start playing off of instinct, this is where the moments of brilliance obviously come from. It’s saved Ole too many times to even count - but this has tactically been outclassed whenever it matters - europa league final, the semi finals we’ve been in, big games against Liverpool, city, Chelsea, even arsenal.

I was one of the few that didn’t want Ole to sign the permanent contract, even despite the PSG game - I think he did a great job getting players in that bought the philosophy of the club, but at the same time there have been glaring holes in recruitment and no tactical Identity!

DutchCruijff

We need a RB, a CB, a CDM and a CM. Outlay? Around £170-180m.

We need a RB this January window. In the summer, we have to desperately go for the CDM and CM. A CB COULD be held off for another window after, Lindelof has been steady and Bailly isn't that bad. But we do need someone to challenge Maguire.

That's it. We need to hold on to VDB and potentially Cavani for another season too. Laird is coming through for us on the RB position, Mejbri and Garner need to be provided chances in the centre.

Martial, Mata, Lingard, AWB, Pereira and Bailly are surplus to requirements. Could get £70-80m for that lot. Henderson should be loaned out for his own good and development.

Chong, Williams and Tuanzebe, unfortunately, won't make it here. Some funds can be raised here. Maybe £20-25m.

From aggressive sales over the next 2-3 windows, the "net spend" would only be around £60-80m. That's pretty much nothing for a club of United's financial prowess.

There's no need for a "rebuild", we've got a healthy squad. There's nothing more required - other than a CB because of Maguire's worrying form - than what was needed at the end of this summer's window.

The_Order

The only real position in need of attention on the pitch is CDM.

We need a rebuild everywhere else.

Eddy_JukeZ

We do not.

Get in a manager that extracts the maximum from the team and makes us a team that's more than the sum of their parts.

Then, we can work on slotting in new players.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Judge the players when a new manager comes in, nows not the time to throw some of these players under the bus when they're working under a hopeless regime.
They are every bit as responsible.

Whilst I agree with part of your thinking (it's clear Ole is not capable of turning this around) the players have been horrendously underperformed and making horrendous errors I'd not expect at League 1 level. That's not coaching.

However, the absolute lack of any Plan A, let alone B is firmly down to the manager and coaching.

Castia

I rebuild isn't needed that squad is good enough, we're a decent midfielder away from having one of the best squads in the league

Red Star One

Whilst I agree with part of your thinking (it's clear Ole is not capable of turning this around) the players have been horrendously underperformed and making horrendous errors I'd not expect at League 1 level. That's not coaching.
Yeah it’s down to clueless coaching that we concede so many chances that lead to individual errors.

Onerealunited

Coaching team including manager to be replaced. Then, assuming we don’t have all the money in the world the following can stay as either starter or bench option:

Starter: De Gea (some might argue, but he has done well this season and we have other more important areas to improve), Shaw, Varane (the best defender we have, unfortunate with injuries), Rashford, Greenwood, Ronaldo, Sancho (he hasn’t performed as we expected but give him time, he is very young still), Cavani, and Bruno

that is 9 players good enough to play for a top team and should it fit be able to start for us!

Bench/depth Bisakka (not good enough to start, but good option to have on the bench, especially because we can’t sell him with the wage he has), McTominay (not good enough, but we need players on the bench and, is an academy player and a fighter that could be needed sometimes), Henderson (good to have someone on the bench to fight with De Gea), Heaton (experienced 3rd keeper, and academy player), Matic (would keep him for his experience, a pity he isn’t 5 years older), Diallo (based on few games, he have the explosiveness and talent to get a few minutes in games we are leading, rather him getting the last minutes than martial)

That is 6 bench players. I’ve not included anyone from youth team as it’s difficult to measure their level on profesional level

the rest of the players I wouldn’t mind if they were sold!

Had difficulties in not including some players in above, but they need to go to make room for new and better investments. Maguaire, I like him but he is too inconsistent and too slow. Lindelof could be a good option on the bench but then I hate seeing him get 5-10 games in a row because of injuries, then I’d rather we invest in a better back-up player. Lingard is a good option from the bench and is also an academy player but then we should be able to find better back-up players than him and more consistent ones, maybe even some young players from the academy (sorry to say that Lingard isn’t that young any longer). Then Fred, which I like very much due to his will to fight and lungs that can run forever, but let’s be honest, he is the poor man’s version of Kante, he is simply not good enough for a top team in the Pl

VanDeBank

Ma’am

However, the absolute lack of any Plan A, let alone B is firmly down to the manager and coaching.
No they're not. That's only true for a one off performance. We've been shite for a very long time and that's down to the manager picking the players and instructing them. He's free to a pick a different player if they don't follow the instructions. We're playing exactly like Ole wants us to.

Ollie Derbyshire

We need a RB, CDM & CM.

AWB isn’t the answer at RB unfortunately but he’s not horrendous, hopefully with someone pushing him, a decent coach and good team structure he could eventually be though.

Matic needs to be replaced obviously with a quality CDM who can get around the middle and break up play.

We need another CM as I hope Pogba will go and McT isn’t good enough.

Clear out a host of under performers/older players in, Dalot, Bailly, McT, Pogba, Martial, Lingard, Mata &Matic. Cavani will probably leave as well.

I honestly don’t think this is a bad squad, just needs much better coaching.

red4ever 79

Judge the players when a new manager comes in, nows not the time to throw some of these players under the bus when they're working under a hopeless regime.
Not only that though. OP has a point. Look at the players that will be leaving soon
Pogba
DVB
Lingard
Henderson

Imagine how shite our midfield is now with McFred. We will need 4 CM's the way we are going.

justsomebloke

I know we have to do better with the players we have and a new coaching team is obviously required however I actually think we need a HUGE rebuild.

Coaching team - needs replacing, including the manager.

Stadium - Old and knackered, needs serious investment.

Training facilities - Dated in comparison to our rivals.

US owners - Genuinely don’t care about the club, the bottom line is all that matters.
And now the team…

AWB - Not good enough for a top team.
Maguire - Just not good enough and is a liability at times.
Victor - Has never been good enough, decent squad option.
Shaw - Lacks consistency.
Fred - No need to explain
McTom - Not good enough, squad player at best.
Pogba - Needs to move on.
Cavani - It’s clear he won’t be here for too long
Ronaldo - Obviously will only be here for a year or two.
Martial - Enough is enough
Eric - How is he still here?
Jones - No need for an explanation.
Jesse - Squad player at best
Telles - Is not good enough

That is 13 players who are just not good enough or who will be gone in the next couple of years. Obviously we are not going to get rid of all of them and so we are stuck with our investments for a number of years.

That is a bigger job than most people realise I think, our first 11 seemed decent this year on paper but the midfield and defence need rebuilding and some of the big names will be gone within a couple of years.

No quick fix here I am afraid, I don’t see a manager being able to be successful with this group and in this environment.
I think that's well over the top. Two good CMs, Pogba out and a quality second option at RB, and we're there.

Andersons Dietician

Lots of those mentioned have failed under more than 1 manager. Shaw and Martial are on their 3rd.
Arguably Shaw and Martial were decent under LVG and had good spells under Ole. I mean haven’t they both picked up club accolades for their performances? Get a decent manager and see what happens

Flytan

I won't blame any of the players as "not good enough" until I see them with a competent manager. Of course some of them won't be good enough but they all get a clean skate as far as my concern when Ole leaves. He's sabotaging their careers

Shaw, pogba, rashford, martial, bailly, lindeloff, fred, mctominay et al. All played under Mourinho too - most of which he'd given up on because he felt they weren't good enough.

I very, very rarely say this but Michael Owen was correct yesterday... perfect summary.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Any other club: sign new players each season to keep things ticking

Our club: rebuild needed each year

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The OP begs the question though. What style of football are we going to play? At the moment we have a hodge podge of individuals who don't have a coherent strategy. And as soon as you pick one, some of the players become redundant.

Ten Hag plays High Press, like Pep and Klopp do. If we go that way (and we must if we want to compete) then you are talking a very costly rebuild. It's all very well waiving that away but that's the reality. Unless the Glazers commit to it then Ten Hag won't come and we stay where we are.

Ixion

Since we're chopping and changing formations every game desperate to find something that sticks I guess we're in the second rebuild phase of Ole's rebuild.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Terrible thread

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The squad is perfectly good to challenge. This is nonsense.
Agreed.
I've said this many times. If this squad was playing under Real Madrid, they'd be expecting the CL.
We have a team of expensively assembled Galacticos and all we need is a top class manager to arrive and win us some trophies with this team.
I genuinely believe that with no more signing, this team can win trophies. We just need a better manager and team of coaches.

Asger

Stop this nonsense.

Proper manager doesn't need a new XI. Most good manager worked with what they have, sprinkled with 1-2 good purchase and gradually build their way to their optimum XI.

Enough with this "rebuild and deadwoods FC"

Our so called deadwoods are winning trophies left right center
Guardiola says hi!

Asger

Terrible thread
Yeah, it’s so terrible when facts are said. I can’t wait too see the young McTom and AWB under next manager! :drool:

Agreed.
I've said this many times. If this squad was playing under Real Madrid, they'd be expecting the CL.
We have a team of expensively assembled Galacticos and all we need is a top class manager to arrive and win us some trophies with this team.
I genuinely believe that with no more signing, this team can win trophies. We just need a better manager and team of coaches.
So you are telling me AWB, McTom and Fred would play for Real Madrid?? Really??

Resch

Just bring in some manager and coaches, who know to use this squad and who know how to lead, form and drill a team. No need to discuss the players, many players need leadership, structure, drills and management and Ole gave them a smile. Under a good coach many of our players will perform on a higher level.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Agreed.
Agreed. A competent manager and coaching team would transform this side.

markhughes

The OP begs the question though. What style of football are we going to play? At the moment we have a hodge podge of individuals who don't have a coherent strategy. And as soon as you pick one, some of the players become redundant.

Ten Hag plays High Press, like Pep and Klopp do. If we go that way (and we must if we want to compete) then you are talking a very costly rebuild. It's all very well waiving that away but that's the reality. Unless the Glazers commit to it then Ten Hag won't come and we stay where we are.
Yes, this is partly what I was thinking in the OP, no manager is going to be able to tweak this team to be able to challenge City and Liverpool because we have gone out and bought names without really thinking about the system we want to play.

It will take quite some time before we can challenge and a lot of areas need addressing before we will be in that position, by that time we will need to replace Ronaldo, Cavani, Pogba etc

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The problem with the squad is its overly bloated, and needs a real defensive midfielder. Other than that, it doesn't need a rebuild. Needs tightening up is all.

A rebuild is needed behind that, but the actual squad is fine, in fact it's the best squad we've had since our 06-09 team. I genuinely believe that. A good manager should have us competing for the title and anything less is a disappointment imo.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Yes, this is partly what I was thinking in the OP, no manager is going to be able to tweak this team to be able to challenge City and Liverpool because we have gone out and bought names without really thinking about the system we want to play.

It will take quite some time before we can challenge and a lot of areas need addressing before we will be in that position, by that time we will need to replace Ronaldo, Cavani, Pogba etc
Agreed. One of the biggest problems here is the convenient fantasy that 'it's all down to the coaching'. The coaching is of course bad and Ole should go. But it's the tip of the iceberg and simply bringing in a new face on its own won't solve anything because the same structural pressures will come to bear again.

That said there is a halfway house. A half competent coaching staff and a couple of DMs would probably get us top four. I imagine that's where we will go in January or the summer.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Don't judge the squad until we get a new manager in. Ole is completely incompetent.

sp_107

A offensive right back and two technically capable central midfielders could make this squad far more effective under the right management.

The potential within the squad is quite high but that's all it'll be (potential) for the time being.

Agreed, 2 CMs with a proper right back + A good coaching setup !

red thru&thru

We are similar to what Chelsea were last year. Hopeless under an incompetent manager. In comes a competent one, they're different.

We need a top coach.

AFC NimbleThumb

Shaw, pogba, rashford, martial, bailly, lindeloff, fred, mctominay et al. All played under Mourinho too - most of which he'd given up on because he felt they weren't good enough.

I very, very rarely say this but Michael Owen was correct yesterday... perfect summary.

Owen spoke 2 & a half minutes of pure facts there. It’s all reactionary & he’s been coddled by the fanbase doing it for years. To complain now is rich from some sections as they’ve been bending over backwards excusing the man for years.