Gaming Reckful (Twitch streamer) commits suicide

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
If you currently have - or have had - suicidal thoughts, it is important to talk about it. Please do not struggle with it alone. Here is a wikipedia page containing a list of suicide crisis phonelines worldwide. You can talk to family or friends about it, or, if you find it difficult to open the conversation please talk to your GP.

Last edited:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Why was the post about Reckful deleted, @Irwin99 did you post it?

It's as good a place as any to talk about it. These streamers, a lot of them show signs of mental health issues. Valkyrae is another who struggles, Loserfruit and Crayator are two more who flutter along dangerous lines at times. People who suddenly get fame and money and unlike rock stars, or movie stars, they are actively engaging people throughout. And people can and do suck. Those clips of Reckful asking his chat not to keep typing KYS over and over are real indicators of what can and will happen.

Irwin99

Why was the post about Reckful deleted, @Irwin99 did you post it?

It's as good a place as any to talk about it. These streamers, a lot of them show signs of mental health issues. Valkyrae is another who struggles, Loserfruit and Crayator are two more who flutter along dangerous lines at times. People who suddenly get fame and money and unlike rock stars, or movie stars, they are actively engaging people throughout. And people can and do suck. Those clips of Reckful asking his chat not to keep typing KYS over and over are real indicators of what can and will happen.
I have no idea what/who Reckful is and I don't think I've posted in this thread so not sure why I was tagged :lol:

ivaldo

@Redlambs. I posted it, but deleted it and was going to post it elsewhere. Here is as good as any I suppose.

Seeing those last few tweets, and some of the responses within, makes for very, very hard reading.

Redlambs

I have no idea what/who Reckful is and I don't think I've posted in this thread so not sure why I was tagged :lol:
:lol: sorry man, I literally saw the post then it got deleted in seconds, and when I went back to the forum list it showed your name as I'm guessing it didn't update quick enough and you replied to the thread immediately below!

@Redlambs. I posted it, but deleted it and was going to post it elsewhere. Here is as good as any I suppose.

Seeing those last few tweets, and some of the responses within, makes for very, very hard reading.
Yeah they do. People shit on streamers and all that, but it really can't be easy. They are under way more pressure than we think, and their lives play out way more publicly than any other entertainers.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Regarding the Reckful stuff - I hope his ex or whoever doesn’t get hate (I don’t know much about him, just saw the tweets in my timeline). Horrible situation for her to be in. Nobody has to accept or feel like they have to accept something to keep someone alive and I feel like what tipped him was probably comments from others but I hope that she doesn’t get hate from some idiots.

It’s something that I’ve been saying for a long time regarding Lingard. People think that because it’s randomers on the internet that it doesn’t mean anything but how do you know unless you’re that individual receiving the hate and horrible comments? Money and fame doesn’t make someone immune to feeling depressed.

Redlambs

Twitch / tik tok / YouTube "stars" are all mental cases tbh.
I wouldn't group streamers in with that. And if you do, you have to then include all the tv/film/music stars that now stream live and are adjusting to live comments thrown at the,

Regarding the Reckful stuff - I hope his ex or whoever doesn’t get hate (I don’t know much about him, just saw the tweets in my timeline). Horrible situation for her to be in. Nobody has to accept or feel like they have to accept something to keep someone alive and I feel like what tipped him was probably comments from others but I hope that she doesn’t get hate from some idiots.

It’s something that I’ve been saying for a long time regarding Lingard. People think that because it’s randomers on the internet that it doesn’t mean anything but how do you know unless you’re that individual receiving the hate and horrible comments? Money and fame doesn’t make someone immune to feeling depressed.
And these people are interacting with the guys saying this shit live as it happens. It's not like youtube videos, or twitter where they block/delete comments. It's unprecedented.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Yep, keep your comments about how much of a doughnut he is to conversations with mates, WhatsApp, the caf ect. Direct or publically messaging the guy calling him everything under the sun is so uncalled for.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I wouldn't group streamers in with that. And if you do, you have to then include all the tv/film/music stars that now stream live and are adjusting to live comments thrown at the,

And these people are interacting with the guys saying this shit live as it happens. It's not like youtube videos, or twitter where they block/delete comments. It's unprecedented.
Yeah with streamers the ante is upped with live donations where things can be said out loud with no pre warning to them. It’s definitely a world where support needs to be a high priority.

Even more so because at least with someone who is a footballer or if you’re an actor you know that what you’re going to do is going to reach a level of immense fame. Some twitch streamers are catapulted and go viral in an instant and it’s just too much for them.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I'm probably more talking about the ones without actual content, I love Rick Shiels on YouTube but to me that's proper content. Not just some twat being a twat and screaming about stupid stuff.

Serious streamers yeah, but where people are putting on fake personalities and stuff is just weird to me.

Jake/ Logan Paul, Ksi, whoever pricks my kids watch in YouTube are all absolute cretins and should be banned forever.

Redlambs

I'm probably more talking about the ones without actual content, I love Rick Shiels on YouTube but to me that's proper content. Not just some twat being a twat and screaming about stupid stuff.

Serious streamers yeah, but where people are putting on fake personalities and stuff is just weird to me.

Jake/ Logan Paul, Ksi, whoever pricks my kids watch in YouTube are all absolute cretins and should be banned forever.
I 100% agree with that. These people are lowest common denominator.

What I'm talking about is the genuine people being themselves and streaming live, people that are actually genuinely interesting to watch. They not only work hard, but deal with the fame right there and then. Movie stars and all that, have always had distance, not these guys. Add in the cancel culture of today and people analysing your every move, then you have a very unhealthy mix.

Eddy_JukeZ

Perhaps a bit OT, but I think there is a serious problem with cyber bulling stemming from streamers and in the gaming community generally nowadays.

I'm not a fan of Alinity, but some of the abuse she's getting from Ninja fans the past few days is uncalled for.

People don't realize that these aren't fictional characters on stream. They're human beings.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Perhaps a bit OT, but I think there is a serious problem with cyber bulling stemming from streamers and in the gaming community generally nowadays.

I'm not a fan of Alinity, but some of the abuse she's getting from Ninja fans the past few days is uncalled for.

People don't realize that these aren't fictional characters on stream. They're human beings.
Thing is, the same people getting "bullied" are usually the same ones who don't mind leading the bullying and getting their followers on their "side" .

I've heard of ninja, and alinity, but feck knows what either of them are actually good at, or what their beef is.

Having 12 year old fans is gonna end up with a load of online fights tbh.

justboy68

Terrible news this. Feel for his close ones and particularly hope the ex whom he tried to contact/propose to is okay, that's a hell of a traumatic thing. RIP.

b82REZ

I'm big Hearthstone fan and used to regularly watch Reckful.

It's horrible to hear what happened and I really feel for his parents because he is the second child they've lost to suicide.

There needs to be a serious look at policing and monitoring to protect streamers and their viewers. Too many predators use this platform to have more contact with children and too many bigots are able to push hate and bile in chat with very little in terms of repercussions.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Is there a brief overview of all this stuff available for those of us who have no clue what's being talked about?

Seems like there's a variety of issues?

b82REZ

Is there a brief overview of all this stuff available for those of us who have no clue what's being talked about?

Seems like there's a variety of issues?
From what little I've seen of reddit and the Hearthstone sub reddit, a popular streamer who has been quite open his struggles with mental health issues has committed suicide.

b82REZ

@Rado_N there has been a whole host of streamers being banned in the past week or so.

Some accused of sexual assault. There are probably 10-15 prominent streamers that have all had this happen within a short time period.

Just going to point out that I don't know if the suicide is related to this at all.
I'd like to hope there is not something more sinister to this and currently it appears not.

From what I can tell from reddit it appears he was making some strange tweets which culminated in him proposing to his ex over twitter and then a few hours later his suicide was confirmed .

I don't have Twitter so cannot confirm any of this but comments I read on reddit seem to point that the abuse he received from those tweets tipped him over the edge.

b82REZ

edit: I just remembered [this](https://www.twitch.tv/reckful/clip/OddHealthyShrewBCouch?filter) clip. Thank you for doing exactly that Reckful.

For the people that don't know what happened prior.

Earlier in the day, Reckful asked Becca if she wanted to marry him [link](https://twitter.com/Byron/status/1278666209421135875)

>i know i’ll always be a little too crazy... and this is proof... but at least you’ll never be bored will you marry me, becca?

[
>DO NOT make her feel pressured to say yes, i am completely insane here i have not seen her in 6 months. the reason for the post is I know she’s the one i want forever, and I wanted her to know my commitment is real

He then tweeted [this](https://twitter.com/Byron/status/1278677927597674497)

>ahh, i feel bad for anyone who has to deal with my insanity

[
>please just know in these situations the insane person does not feel in control of their actions

After a while [BlueGoesMew](https://twitter.com/BlueGoesMew), his ex girlfriend, tweeted this

[
>Someone I love killed themselves. I wish I could have said something to prevent it... whyyyyyy

[
>Yes, it’s him. He’s gone.

Andy Milonakis [Tweet](https://twitter.com/andymilonakis/status/1278724691423879168)

>Heartbroken. Still in shock, I've dreaded that this day could possibly come. RIP Byron, I love you

NymM also confirms it [
>No, Blue's twitter account isn't hacked & Byron's room mate has confirmed it. It is true. feck everything about this year

Becca responded [here](https://twitter.com/BeccaTILTS/status/1278758697083305987)

I'm crying while copying this stuff. You will be remembered forever Reckful, thank you for the hours of entertainment and the laughs you gave to everyone. You truly made some peoples life better.

I have bipolar and depression and could relate a lot with Byron. I discovered him after I tried to commit suicide, used to watch his streams because it would make me feel better, watching someone with the same problems have fun and always make people laugh. Would give me hope that i could also be happy. I'm not the only person that Reckful helped. Again, thank you so much for everything. And sorry for this, just wanted to let people know how much he helped me with my problems. Please talk to someone if you're feeling down, it can be hard but try to fight it. Also if you need someone to talk to, I know i'm a random on the internet but i can talk.

And sorry for commenting 2times the same thing, should've deleted one of them

Here's a transcript of his final few tweets that seem to have been the catalyst to him commiting suicide.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
There's a video of his final stream full of people in his chat telling him to kill himself. People are awful. What kind of person do you have to be to sit behind a keyboard and tell someone to do that?

Pretty sad watching this video of him:

Simbo

Never watched any of this guys streams or anything, just know of him from the gaming scene. Found myself watching some of his old vods these last few days though out of curiosity, and ended up wanting to know more, its really fecking sad.

His room-mate has posted some details of the months leading up to his suicide. https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sradgv

I don't think anyone can link it to his lifestyle or social media abuse with any degree of certainty. He is another victim of an all too common and little understood illness.

ivaldo

His eldest brother committing suicide evidently had a profound effect on him. His treatment on social media certainly didn't help.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Social media............It really does bring out the worst in people. And I am not talking about the now deceased chap.

I just have nothing good to say about it. The source of so much misinformation and proliferation of ignorance in our time. Also an effective medium for spreading hate and fear. I fecking hate everything about it. I jumped off it around 7 years ago, and I have never been tempted for a moment to go back.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I watch loads of streams on twitch and haven't seen a toxic community like that before. Why the hell didn't he have moderators to smack those assholes into oblivion. Very sad. :(

Web of Bissaka

Suicidal thoughts is real.
And it's really difficult to fight it.

The only way is to learn how to live with it asap in my opinion, how to cope, how to control the many "triggers", stay away from any stresses even if you have to quit your current comfortable (not really comfortable) life and job, etc etc etc.

And people who had it usually will have to live with it for the rest of their lives.

:nervous:It's like voices in your head and a feeling in your heart that just won't go away, always ready to strike especially when you're most vulnerable at your lowest points in life, and oh you will experience the lowest points always.

It's too challenging and I feel for and understand fellow fighters who can't take it anymore, because seriously it's too tempting and inviting to just give up.

Social media is not a good coping mechanism against this "mental illness" from what I personally gathered. Healthier to just take a leap out of it (seriously delete it, and think more about yourself and why do you need people's "validations" in the first place? or even do you actually need it in the first place? using social media for suicidal people tend to make them rely and hope in people more to help them which is just unhealthy and unreliable because people are not always available to help you 24 hr everyday, plus there are people who directly or indirectly insults you there.. always for some odd reason) and then maybe move into spiritual things like meditation. It's definitely working a lot better as a coping mechanism than social media so far, with many bumps along the way.

Difficult way to live though and definitely not conventional i.e. strange way to live but worth it in the end I feel, as long as we continue living isn't it.