Books Redcafe Book Club: January: To Paradise by Hanya Yanagihara

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How's everyone getting on with Kintu?

I'm a third of the way through it, been slacking the last week if I'm honest but I'm finding it hard going.
Really hasn't gripped me at all and finding it a bit of a slog to read at the moment.
Same boat as you. Been reading it on the train here and there and I think that's as much as I can afford to it.

The Irish Connection

Hey all,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, couldn’t see any other relevant threads.

I‘ve been on here a few years now and ye seem like a good bunch, so I thought I’d mention my book, ‘Once Upon a Human Sky’. And also, it’s World Book Day!
It’s my debut novel. A dystopian YA adventure set in a familiar but alternate near future, with bits of sci-fi, supernatural and dodgy music references.
Bill is an orphan who thinks he might be able to talk to animals. Or else he’s nuts.
There are big secrets to be uncovered about himself, his friends and the world of Aunn Teer.

For fans of Darren Shan, Roald Dahl, Stephen King and James Dashner among others.

Please give it a go and/or share! Thanks :devil:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Once-Upon-...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1666818497&sr=8-1

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm sorry for my lack of commitment but I'm going to need more time to finish it. I'll join the one in March and as soon as I finish Kintu I'll give my analysis/opinion.
I'm still starting book three. :(
I like what I've read, the problem is that there is no Spanish version and it's hard for me to read it in English.
I haven't read in another language since high school and certainly not at that level. I read slowly and have to stop very often to translate.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I'm gonna need a bit more time to finish it too! February has been quite busy.

I say we give it one more week before picking the next book if everyone is okay with that.

K Stand Knut

How's everyone getting on with Kintu?

I'm a third of the way through it, been slacking the last week if I'm honest but I'm finding it hard going.
Really hasn't gripped me at all and finding it a bit of a slog to read at the moment.
I’m really enjoying whilst finding it a bit tough going as well. Probably about 2/3 of the way through but finding it difficult to keep track of the people, especially when a new book starts!

Glad I got involved in this as this is the kind of book I’d like to at least give a go and say I’ve read it.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Finished it now. Found it a really hard read. The writing style doesn't resonate with me at all. :nervous:

Would you be able to sticky it?
I'm glad you think that too, makes .e feel it's not only me :lol:

The lack of dialogue kills it stone dead for me, almost monosyllabic in places when describing events also.
Am over half way through and just cannot get into it all.

But this is the idea of a book club, opening new avenues to books you wouldn't have even contemplated reading before hand.

Champ

I’m really enjoying whilst finding it a bit tough going as well. Probably about 2/3 of the way through but finding it difficult to keep track of the people, especially when a new book starts!

Glad I got involved in this as this is the kind of book I’d like to at least give a go and say I’ve read it.
I kept on having to scroll back in places to remind myself of whom was who :lol:

Probably another reason it's taken me so long to get through.

I agree as well, good to open the mind to different genres and stories.

K Stand Knut

I kept on having to scroll back in places to remind myself of whom was who :lol:

Probably another reason it's taken me so long to get through.

I agree as well, good to open the mind to different genres and stories.
Definitely.

That family tree and explanation in the first few pages has been a God send

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I am definitely playing catch up as I'm midway through book 1 but as of yet I'm enjoying the unapologetic prose. It's going to take me another few weeks to finish I feel though.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Finally finished this book and damn it was a mission. The opening was great and immerses you in the world and characters, you feel invested and ready to partake of what the author is serving however the meat of book was lacking for me. The multi generational and multi layered nature of the story needed a bit more structure I think. I kept having to go back and look up names and things that happened. Loved the Ugandan essence of the book though I will say how pre colonial Africa was described did give me some Conrad vibes. The ending also was a bit too neat snd prolonged for my liking. The supernatural stuff was well handled though. Overall an enjoyable read. I'd give it 6.9/10.

Also I did the random generator thingy for March and got Virginia Woolfs The Waves so that's next.

Last edited:

K Stand Knut

I’ve got a chapter or two of the first book to go and have ordered The Waves from my local library but can’t collect it until 27th March because it is on loan already - does one of you literary genii live in the Trafford area and have stolen the only copy??

I reckon I can bash out the second book fairly quickly though as I go on holiday on the 31st and have an 8 hour flight to contend with!!

Still enjoying Kintu but it’s becoming a bit of a chore and I’m willing the end now

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I’ve got a chapter or two of the first book to go and have ordered The Waves from my local library but can’t collect it until 27th March because it is on loan already - does one of you literary genii live in the Trafford area and have stolen the only copy??

I reckon I can bash out the second book fairly quickly though as I go on holiday on the 31st and have an 8 hour flight to contend with!!

Still enjoying Kintu but it’s becoming a bit of a chore and I’m willing the end now
I felt it became kinda a chore near the end too. Maybe the author could have found a way to make it feel more refreshing.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I tried starting the Waves but I'm finding hard to get into. I've been reading so much contemporary and modernist stuff recently that I'm finding the pre-Faulker/Hemingway style of that era a little tough to get absorbed in. I'll try to power through.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Finally finished this book and damn it was a mission. The opening was great and immerses you in the world and characters, you feel invested and ready to partake of what the author is serving however the meat of book was lacking for me. The multi generational and multi layered nature of the story needed a bit more structure I think. I kept having to go back and look up names and things that happened. Loved the Ugandan essence of the book though I will say how pre colonial Africa was described did give me some Conrad vibes. The ending also was a bit too neat snd prolonged for my liking. The supernatural stuff was well handled though. Overall an enjoyable read. I'd give it 6.9/10.

Also I did the random generator thingy for March and got Virginia Woolfs The Waves so that's next.

That's cool. I would probably give it a bit less than 6.9 because like most in here I struggled to finish it which is a shame because it was a book I had looked forward to reading for a long time. Glad I finished it.

Champ

Gave up on Kintu a long time ago, just no flow at all for me.
That style of writing really grates on me and I just cannot get immersed in the story.
Couldn't really score it as only got two thirds through, but what I did read I wouldn't give any higher than 4/10.

Have just started the Waves, already am entranced by the poetic nature of the prose. Chalk and cheese from Kintu.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Sorry guys, I've completely neglected updating the thread. Been reading Flights and drive your plows over the bones of the dead by Olga Tokkarczuk.

How about we just pick a new book for June. No football might make it easier to find time to read. I did the random generator thing and got SS-GB by Len Deighton

Champ

I have the epub file for SS-GB if anyone needs it?

Champ

Epub file

This is a WeTransfer link for the epub file,

Hopefully there's no issue with me sharing this in this fashion considering I own this?

K Stand Knut

Finally finished SS-GB after it took 6 months for my local library to transfer it from one local library to another. I did also forget about the link above!!

Quite enjoyed it and obviously didn’t have the ending I expected.

Probably a solid 7/10 but nothing spectacular

On to The Waves now. See what this holds in store!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I read SS-GB when it first came out and seem to remember enjoying it. Not sure I have the energy to read it again to see if it has aged well or badly.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I must have enjoyed his books as I remember reading Game, Set and Match, then Winter, then Hook, Line and Sinker and finally Hope, Faith and Charity. I vaguely remember I enjoyed them less as they went but was sufficiently invested in the characters to all 10 of them.

In fact I think I read most of his books back in the day.

K Stand Knut

:lol:If the first book was a struggle it'll be interesting to see how people get on with The Waves. It's pretty short at least.
Jesus!!! This was a clue to probably skip this book!!! It’s hard work, probably the last kind of book that I would have chosen to read and I’m really struggling with it as a whole.

The more immature me wants to call it shit and be fine but it’s clearly but shit, just not my style or type of book.

I’ll finish it this week but I’m really not enjoying it

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Jesus!!! This was a clue to probably skip this book!!! It’s hard work, probably the last kind of book that I would have chosen to read and I’m really struggling with it as a whole.

The more immature me wants to call it shit and be fine but it’s clearly but shit, just not my style or type of book.

I’ll finish it this week but I’m really not enjoying it
:lol:Yeah I really had to power through it too. I couldn't get into it despite liking Mrs Dalloway a lot. All I can remember about it is the sofa getting stuck on the stairs.

Suggestion: Come Closer by Sara Gran

Had this suggested to me a while ago but never got around to reading it. Synopsis:

I'm happy with any of the suggestions so far, haven't read any of them before.
I read this the other week. I think it would be an ideal type of book for this- great attention-grabbing start, short, fast-paced and highly readable. It reminded me a bit of Drag Me to Hell. Having said that...
...while I really enjoyed the first half, I felt it peaked too early and kind of drifted with the repetitive cycle of self-destruction as the demon took over. Plotlines on seeing the other demons and her flirtation with exorcism never really went anywhere. By the end, short as it is, I'd lost interest in whether she could really break out of the spiral and it meandered to the demon claiming victory, even though that'd effectively happened ages ago. I guess as pulpy, escapist fiction it's fine, but it lacked the creative spark or tautness of plot to be considered anything more for me.

K Stand Knut

:lol:Yeah I really had to power through it too. I couldn't get into it despite liking Mrs Dalloway a lot. All I can remember about it is the sofa getting stuck on the stairs.

I read this the other week. I think it would be an ideal type of book for this- great attention-grabbing start, short, fast-paced and highly readable. It reminded me a bit of Drag Me to Hell. Having said that...
...while I really enjoyed the first half, I felt it peaked too early and kind of drifted with the repetitive cycle of self-destruction as the demon took over. Plotlines on seeing the other demons and her flirtation with exorcism never really went anywhere. By the end, short as it is, I'd lost interest in whether she could really break out of the spiral and it meandered to the demon claiming victory, even though that'd effectively happened ages ago. I guess as pulpy, escapist fiction it's fine, but it lacked the creative spark or tautness of plot to be considered anything more for me.
That sounds like what The Waves is doing to me!! Really struggling to read it anymore but banking on just smashing it during my flight home on Sunday and then posting it to Timbuktu!

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Nice! I haven't read it yet so i've left the spoiler unopened.

I finally finished SS-GB last night. I enjoyed it for the most part. I imagine this was one of the first stories to posit the what-if scenario of the Nazis winning the war (I could be wrong), but in the wake of The Man in the high Castle and the like it comes across as rather tame now. I also found the ending quite flat, I expected things to ramp up after the explosion but instead it petered out. I was planning on checking out the recent miniseries but now I've finished it I don't think I'll bother.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Nice! I haven't read it yet so i've left the spoiler unopened.

I finally finished SS-GB last night. I enjoyed it for the most part. I imagine this was one of the first stories to posit the what-if scenario of the Nazis winning the war (I could be wrong), but in the wake of The Man in the high Castle and the like it comes across as rather tame now. I also found the ending quite flat, I expected things to ramp up after the explosion but instead it petered out. I was planning on checking out the recent miniseries but now I've finished it I don't think I'll bother.
Tell us what you think when you've read it. It's a quick read.

Red_Aaron

I finished SS-GB eventually but to be honest it didn't grip me. Generally if a book gets it's hooks in me ill give it every waking moment but this never really had me desperate to see what happens next. Perfectly fine fare

I did David Mitchell's Bone Clocks straight after and that very much consumed me (though I thought the last couple of chapters were unnecessary and a bit meh)

Would be interested in another communal read, hopefully something that generates a bit of discussion!