Redcafe Champions League Draft QF4 - Theon v Thisistheone

Who will win based on players in their prime, team tactics, balance & bench strength?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
FORMATION

A balanced and natural diamond formation, filled with complimentary partnerships and players with proven records of thriving in a similar set up – particularly the Italian midfield, the Roma wingback partnership of Candela and Cafu and the Milan striking partnership of Crespo/Shevchenko.

The Italian core of De Rossi, Gattuso and Pirlo are perfectly suited to this formation having won numerous Champions League titles, reached the final of Euro 2012 and won the 2006 World Cup playing together in similar systems – this is a cohesiveness and proven record that few teams in the draft can match.

Making the diamond work

Tactically the diamond can be difficult to pull off and in particular you need three things, all of which I deliberately drafted:

1) Central midfielders who are comfortable pressing into wider areas to win possession
In Gattuso and De Rossi I could not pick a more ideal pairing as both have played and thrived in this exact role. Gattuso in particular remains the greatest and most ruthless ballwinner I have ever seen, which is exactly what the diamond requires.

The Italians will press all over the pitch and win possession, both having the stamina and work ethic to perform the work of two men.

2) Wingbacks who get forward
Cafu and Candela are the perfect wingback partnership to stretch the pitch and offer a threat out wide. They played together for that outstanding title-winning Roma side which played without wingers - a proven record demonstrating their suitability for the role.

Cafu is perhaps the greatest attacking fullback of all time and has provided width in various narrow setups, which makes any claim about lacking width misguided. Roma won Serie A, Milan won the Champions League and Brazil won the World Cup playing wingerless formations with Cafu providing the width. Resorting to the lack of width argument is exceptionally desperate.

A young Cafu against Argentina when still playing in Brazil

3) A deeper striker pulling wide and running the channels
Shevchenko is the perfect player for this as he played this exact role for AC Milan - winning the Ballon d’Or in 2004 and coming in the Top Three on three occassions. Milan lined up in this exact diamond formation with Shevchenko and they went on to dominate Europe.

Sheva possesses exceptional movement, stamina, dribbling and finishing ability, and will be drifting all across the front line to exploit the gaps behind TITO’s attacking fullbacks.

Shevchenko became the greatest striker in the world playing in a diamond fomation - a proven record demonstrating that he is perfect for playing this system.

HOW THE GAME IS WON

Iniesta unmarked getting behind Sousa
This is without question the most dangerous mismatch on the pitch. Whilst Ronaldo is targeted by Maldini, Iniesta has no comparable player taking him out of the game. Iniesta will drift across the pitch into space whilst Pirlo fizzes the ball into his feet, allowing him to turn and cause chaos with his boundless creativity and unmatched dribbling ability.

If Sousa tries to man mark him this guarantees complete dominance of possession for Pirlo/Gattuso/De Rossi

Pirlo takes control
Sitting just behind the two CM’s is Pirlo. He will dictate the pace of the game with his exceptional passing ability, feeding balls down the flanks to Cafu and Candela, or through the midfield to Iniesta, Crespo and Shevchenko.

You need a world class man marker to even try and take Pirlo out of the game which TITO doesn't have. The only free man seems to be Rui Costa but he offers nothing defensively and doesn't stand a chance of stopping Pirlo dictate the game.

With Essien and Sousa locked in a tight midfield battle with De Rossi and Gattuso, Pirlo has the time and space to knock the ball around and control the match. Dominance of possession is guaranteed and Pirlo's passing will provide continuous openings for the attackers to exploit.

Maldini vs Ronaldo
Dictating the defence is Paulo Maldini quite possibly the greatest defender of all time - captain of the Italian national team and leader of Milan’s defence for over 20 years in which he incredibly won the Champions League a record five times.

Ronaldo is one of my favourite players and the most talented player on the pitch, but in Maldini I could not hope to find a better player to counter him. Ronaldo stated that Maldini was the best defender he ever player against – it is truly the eras best defender against the eras best striker.

Ronaldo - "I always found it very difficult when I came up against Paolo Maldini. He was the best defender I faced over the course of my career. He definitely deserved to win the award [FIFA World Player of The Year] several times over."

Sir Alex Ferguson - "When I think of the current generation, Lionel Messi is top-level. And, although he has never taken my breath away, Kaka has impressed, Zinedine Zidane was brilliant but without a doubt, Paolo Maldini has been my favourite."

Del Piero - "There are great players and there are world class players. Then there are those who manage to go beyond that term. Paolo is the perfect example."

Beckham - "The greatest thing about this experience has been taking part in Maldini's career. He is a great player, a great captain and a great man."

Paul Merson - "The best player I ever played against was Paolo Maldini. We [Arsenal] played against Milan in the European Supercup [in 1995]. Maldini marked me and I didn’t even get a kick of the ball all game. He was just unbelievable."

Crespo/Shevchenko - A perfect partnership
The genius of Shevchenko dropping off into space complimented by the ruthless finishing and movement of a prime Crespo.

In the last game one issue with the forwards was that neither Crespo nor Kluivert was particularly good at running the channels. This is not the case with Shevchenko who has excelled as the deeper striker in the Milan diamond - playing behind both Inzaghi and Crespo.

In his Parma and Lazio days Crespo was amongst the deadliest strikers of the decade, becoming the worlds most valuable player when he was sold for a world record fee of £36million. Injuries ruined the peak of his career and he never reached the heights he should have, but in his prime he was absolutely deadly – scoring 82 goals in three seasons.

Counter Figo
Figo is TITO's main creative outlet and with his midfield being dominated a lot relies on Figo having success. He needs to be the one setting up chances for Ronaldo, so my team is set up to try and minimise this threat.

Gattuso is positioned on Figo's side of the pitch to double up on him with Cafu and prevent Figo cutting inside. Both players have deliberate instructions to show Figo down the line and prevent him coming inside – as a right footed player on the left wing the threat from crossing is minimal

Most importantly this will not get the best out of Ronaldo.

The games key danger areas
TITO has two real threats which my team is set up to counter

1) Ronaldo vs Maldini - this is a close contest but there is noone better to face the great Brazillian

2) Figo vs Cafu + Gattuso - When Figo gets the ball Gattuso has strict instructions to relentlessly press the winger and prevent him cutting inside.

Both these match ups will be extremely close, and we'll have to be at our best to keep TITO's danger players quiet - but at the same time there is a clear plan to minimise the threat.

In contrast I have three danger areas which aren't comparatively countered by TITO

1) Iniesta completely unmarked and dropping into the space behind Sousa and Essien

2) Shevchenko dropping deep and running the channels - he did this behind Crespo for Milan and with no assigned defensive midfielder and attacking wingbacks this is a real danger

3) Pirlo vs Rui Costa - It takes a ruthless man marker to stop Pirlo dictating the game and Rui Costa is far from that. TITO has a weak midfield compared to the rest of his team which Pirlo will absolutely relish.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
PLAYER PROFILES

Manuel Neuer
The best goalkeeper in the world and former Footballer of the Year in Germany. Put in a flawless performance against Dortmund in the Champions League Final and with his huge 6 ft 4 frame is the perfect foil against Drogba.

Cafu
Without a doubt the best attacking fullback in the draft and arguably of all time. Winning domestic and Continental titles as well as two World Cup’s with Brazil establish Cafu as a true icon of the modern era. Blessed with limitless stamina he will get up and down the right flank the entire game.

Maldini
The consensus best defender of the last two decades.

Maldini was consistently brilliant for over 20 years captaining AC Milan to unprecedented success and winning a record five Champions League titles. For a nation that has seen Baresi, Scirea and Facchetti wear the Azzurri shirt it says it all that Maldini is regarded just as highly as any of them.

Thiago Silva
Currently the best defender in the world and captain of the Brazil team. Thiago possesses an abundance of pace which is vital against TITO who will be heavily reliant on the counter.

Candela
Cafu’s wingback partner at Roma, Candela has terrific stamina, pace and dribbling ability. He performed best when asked to cover the entire left side of the pitch which allowed him to fully utilise his attacking instincts. Along with Cafu Candela was an instrumental reason for Roma winning Serie A in 2000/01.

Also capable of scoring goals like this.

Pirlo
The greatest deeplying playmaker of all time, Pirlo will control the game with his exquisite vision and passing. Also one of the most deadly free kicks takers in the world, a joy for Nadal, Maldini, Thiago Silva, Crespo, Kluivert and Sheva.

De Rossi
An absolute colossus of a midfielder with one of the most all rounded games of the decade. Physically imposing with the mentality for a war, De Rossi also possesses sublime passing ability as seen in this MOTM performance against Spain – proving De Rossi can dominate the worlds greatest sides.

Gattuso
Without a doubt the best tackling midfielder that I have seen, his ball winning is simply unmatched. The fire and mentality of Gattuso combined with his limitless stamina are the perfect compliment to the artistry of Andrea Pirlo.
In linking up with Pirlo Gattuso is forming a midfield partnership that has won countless titles domestically and in Europe with Milan, as well as the 2006 World Cup with Italy.

Iniesta
Technically flawless and unquestionably the best attacking midfielder since Zidane. Iniesta is a big game player, putting in a MOTM performance in both the 2010 World Cup Final and the Euro 2012 Final, as well as being named Player of the Tournament.

Shevchenko
Voted the best player in Europe when playing for Milan, he is undoubtedly one of the greatest strikers of the Champions League era. Playing in his natural role in a formation he is familiar with he is a huge threat.

Crespo
Perennially at risk of being underrated due to his Chelsea and Milan stints, injuries stalled Crespo’s career and prevented him maintaining his four years of form at Parma and Lazio which made him one of the deadliest strikers of the last 20 years. Great in the air, exceptional movement and ruthless finishing – he was phenomenal at his best.

Subs

Xavi - The best midfielder of his generation, he could without question start this game and seeing him on the bench will raise a few eyebrows. Given the threat of TITO is attack, particularly Figo who needs to be closed down, De Rossi and Gattuso need to start this game.

The playmaker position comes down to Pirlo and Xavi, with the edge going to Pirlo who I feel is more suited to the base of a diamond formation with his wider range of passing, which should get better results from Shevchenko and Crespo - two forwards he is familiar playing with.

Xavi provides exceptional options of the bench - if I decide to kill the game and run down the clock he can come on an monopolise the ball, or if I need a goal he can come on for De Rossi/Gattuso and add more creativity to the side.

Sergio Aguero
Excellent at running the channels and peeling out wide, Aguero will come on later on in the match to exploit a slow backline with his explosive pace and movement

Miguel Angel Nadal - The Beast of Barcelona
The heart of Barcelona’s defence and captain of Spain, Nadal was a natural leader with the immense physicality needed to combat Drogba. Also a capable ballplayer he could slot into midfield for both Spain and Barcelona.

Kluivert
Despite an impressive career, numerous titles and the status of Holland’s all time top scorer (ahead of Van Basten, Ruud, Bergkamp and Van Persie) Kluivert’s natural ability could have made him become one of the all time greats.

He was blessed with virtually every asset a striker could wish for. A powerful 6 ft 2 build, pace, unbelievable heading ability, finishing and most of all exquisite technique. Dropping off into deeper areas his close control and passing is perfect for Iniesta to play off.

Team Theon​

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Vs​
Team Thisistheone​
Tactical change - Figo swaps flanks​

Reason's why I would win:

Continuity in my team:
The Portugese triangle of Paulo Sousa-Rui Costa-Figo
Real Madrid connection down the left with Robeto Carlos-Figo and Ronaldo up front.
Blanc-Desailly world cup winning rocks at the back.
The Balance of the side. Paulo Sousa-Essien-Rui Costa are perfect for to get the best out of each other. And on either flank I have the Brazilian full backs bombing forward and able to join midfield.

How the beat Theon’s team (whether he plays a diamond or not it's a side that lack width)
Making Pirlo turn and denying him time and space:- Rui Costa will be causing Pirlo problems,carrying the ball or finding space in between the lines. Di Maria will be coming back to harass the Italian playmaker, stopping him from having the time and space he needs. Theon’s side suddenly becomes very blunt.
By stopping Pirlo, the side quickly loses creativity and forward momentum. A single stream is easily dammed. And of course, the diamond's lack of width only exacerbates the problem.

Also note that by stopping Pirlo: - this player is the easy out option for the defence to clear, so if you nullify that passing option, they will have to pass long - which has to be a long accurate pass down the centre, as they will have little attacking width, and how is Iniesta suppose to feed on long balls?

My wingers and full backs will revel in the open spaces out wide. Inviting Roberto Carlos to attack with freedom ahead of him is asking for trouble. Or Dani Alves, or Figo, take your pick.
Theon’s team may enjoy the bulk of possession, but they’ll became so paranoid about their vulnerability to wide counters that they’ll only be able to do little with it, especially since their playmaker, Pirlo, is getting pressured and being turned so much.

The Diamond is a defensive formation, a predictable one, and not good for a team that needs to take the initiative. Playing against Ronaldo, Figo, Rui Costa, Theon’s certainly going to concede so will need goals and I don’t see him getting them. With his playmaker stopped, he doesn’t have much else. Gattuso and De Rossi offer nothing offensively. Iniesta is his only hope but if he’s getting nothing to feed on he can’t influence attacks.

There could be an issue also with De Rossi & Gattuso, or Xavi, whoever is playing in the middle two of the diamond. If they get too narrow, then Theon is vulnerable wide, and any possible advantage he wanted to gain in the centre is outweighed by the fact that everybody is packed into so tight a space that passing options become limited. Essien was exceptional at getting around the pitch, he will give them big problems alongside the disciplined Paulo Sousa. And even Iniesta could struggle in this formation alien to himself:- Ancelotti, when asked about Lampard or Deco playing this role for Chelsea, said that even Kaka had found it hard to play at the tip of a diamond because there was so little space. Therefore in my opinion, Theon is not using Iniesta the best he can.

The key for my side will be to shift play from the centre to the wide areas. Sousa is perfect for this, being so intelligent and tactically superb, along with Blanc and Desailly. In addition to this my full backs play a key role in making sure Theon doesn’t enjoy too much of the ball:-
Di Maria & Figo stop the advances of Cafu & Candela while the hard tackling and energy of Essien and Sousa will at least make Theon’s centre fight for possession, whilst shielding my back four. Meanwhile my full backs are free to either become an extra man in midfield or provide additional attacking threat out wide where he’s so weak and vulnerable. So therefore, my side can be 5 or even 6 in midfield due to the ability of one of my full backs to join in.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Francesco Toldo (Italy 28 caps)
If Toldo had not been around during the time of Gianluigi Buffon, he may well have reached 100 caps for Italy, such was his ability. A world class keeper with a superb all-round game. At 6’5’’ he was solid under high balls and would expertly communicate with his back four. A team-mate of Rui Costa’s at Fiorentina. Serie A Goalkeeper of the year in 2000 & won Serie A 5 times.

Marcel Desailly (France 116 caps, 3 goals)
One of the best players of the last 20 years. A colossus at the back or in midfield. Desailly’s game had it all - Pace, Power, intelligence and desire. He won basically everything there was to win in the game. A Champions League title with two different clubs. Only 3 other players have achieved this, one of which is his team-mate here; Paulo Sousa. Desailly’s physical presence & pace was ideally suited next to the great anticipation & technical skills of Laurent Blanc. Named in Premier League team of the decade.

Laurent Blanc (France 97 caps 16 goals)
Amazingly, Blanc scored 134 goals in his club career. One of the most dangerous players around from set plays. At 6’4’’ he was dominant in the air but also extremely comfortable on the ball, possessing the technique of a playmaker. He specialized in making those around him calm and collected. Blanc could read the game brilliantly, was intelligent & had a masterful grasp of tactics which proved crucial as games unfolded.

Dani Alves (Brazil 68 caps, 5 goals)
The best right back in the world for the last 5 or 6 years, Dani Alves offers the team an extra man in attack with his incredible engine, getting up and down the right flank all day long. He will provide width for the team and an over-lap if Di Maria wishes to cut inside. Incredibly quick, he’s also brilliant on the ball, as we seen in the Champions League with some of his through balls and various other assists. Cristiano Ronaldo said of him: "I usually don't have a problem with defenders when it comes to outracing them, but when playing a match against Barcelona it happens to be complicated with Daniel Alves"

Roberto Carlos (Brazil 125 Caps 11 goals)
One of the most powerful and explosive full backs of recent times. Roberto Carlos bossed the Real Madrid left flank for 11 years. Famous for his powerful shots from long range as well as a superb engine. He will be ideally suited for this game against a side that lacks natural width with a Brazilian on the opposite flank with similar attacking intentions, there’s a superb balance to this team.

Paulo Sousa (Portugal 51 caps 6 goals)
An integral part of the “Golden Generation” that came out of Portugal in the early 1990’s, Sousa spent his best days in Serie A at a time when it was the strongest league in the world. Sousa's greatest skill was doing the unselfish things required to win a game. For every goal or clever pass, there were a dozen other little things that went unnoticed but were vital. One of Europe’s best midfielders during the mid to late 90’s. Successful at the highest level in the Champions League, Winning it twice; with Dortmund and Juventus. He was an excellent reader of the game, able to play the role of defensive midfielder while possessing superb technical ability. Similar to Michael Carrick in that he was a deep lying, ball playing midfielder. A team-player, the type to make those around him stand out even more. A vital component in any successful side. His connection with country-man Rui Costa & Luis Figo will be a big plus for the side. With Essien next to him, he will have the perfect complimentary team-mate.

Michael Essien (Ghana 52 caps 9 goals)
The ultimate box-to-box midfielder & the sides engine room. Essien’s energy, power and abrasive ability will allow him the freedom to protect and support playmaker Rui Costa while Paulo Sousa assists the defence and directs the distribution. Essien is like having an extra man in the middle - One minute putting fires out in defence and the next supporting the likes of Rui Costa & Ronaldo in attack. Before his injury nightmare he was probably the most complete midfielder in the world. As Utd fans, our first taster came in the Champions League against Lyon when he gave Roy Keane and the rest of our side hell for 90 minutes. The way Utd missed Fletcher in the 2009 CL final would be similar if this side lost Essien.

Manuel Rui Costa (Portugal 94 caps 26 goals) II Maestro
The team’s play-maker. One of my favourite players growing up, Rui Costa put the fantasy into football. Incredible vision and execution of the pass, he was simply a brilliant footballer. But to use him properly, the platform for him to best operate needs to be present, which he certainly gets from Paulo Sousa & Essien. Even The incredible work-rate of Rooney favours him. He’ll be able to unlock the tightest of defences as he proved through-out his career, mainly with Fiorentina, and link up beautifully with Ronaldo, Figo & Di Maria. From the back four, with Sousa, Essien & Rui Costa, the balance in the team and the link from defence through the midfield and forwards is finely tuned.

Luis Figo (Portugal 127 caps 32 Goals)
The 2000 European player of the year and 2001 FIFA World player of the year is a huge coup for the side. He brings elite quality to the team and again is ideally suited to this match, getting space in the wide areas to work his magic. Gifted with either foot, Figo was a nightmare for any defender & a brilliant player to help Ronaldo.

Ronaldo (Brazil 104 caps 67 goals)
Possibly the most complete striker not just in this Champions League era, but of all time. The original Ronaldo was the most electrifying, energetic phenomenon we’ll see in our lifetimes. The complete centre forward. When writing this description, I had to sit back and think, what really made him so good? He was the perfect mixture of power and grace, and had an extra second of time over anyone else. In his pomp as close to unstoppable as you could wish to see. He could score with either foot, burst past the quickest of defenders , dribble past the most intelligent or brush off the most aggressive of opponents. And of course, he was the ultimate big game player (ignoring the bizarre circumstances of France ’98) he scored in the 2002 World Cup Semi-Final & Final & in both UEFA cup finals for Barca and Inter.
All this despite being ravaged by injury during his prime... What could have been?

Ángel di Mária (Argentina 39 caps 8 goals)
Capable of moments of magic, direct running, dribbling inside or out wide, Di Maria brings a lot of different options & variety to the team. He is a modern day forward/winger who is versatile, able to switch flanks or play through the middle. Not a prolific scorer but most likely to create chances for his team-mates with nearly 80 assists in 6 seasons since moving to Europe. Excellent technique, agility, flair and pace. Can provide width for the side.

Thisistheone

All the best Theon!

Like I said in my write-up, going to have to play this game out on the flanks. Using Figo-Roberto Carlos and Di Maria-Dani Alves to exploit the lack of width in team Theon. Ronaldo can get us goals, we just need to work the ball into wide area's and into the best number 9 of all time. Cafu and Candela will find it extremely difficult dealing with a two-on-one situation. Both my Brazilian full backs are ideal for this match-up.

Thisistheone

In regards to Theon's views:

1) Iniesta is not completely unmarked. Sousa is in the team to protect the back four and stop any danger in this area of the pitch. I don't think Theon is getting the best out of Iniesta. He's never played at the tip of a diamond and could end of trying to feed off direct balls which he isn't used to.

2) Shevchenko can run into the channel's if he wants too. Sousa or Essien have the discipline and energy to help out the defence.

3) Pirlo vs Rui Costa - I view this as Pirlo completely unable to stop the brilliance of Rui Costa. Pirlo isn't a natural defensive midfielder so Rui Costa is going to have an incredible amount of joy in this area of the pitch.

Let's not under-estimate my midfield either. The balance is perfect. Sousa the clever, defensive, technically sound holding player, Essien the energy and power and Rui Costa the creativity. He is my main creative threat along with Figo. Theon can't keep both of them Quiet. If Gattuso & Di Rossi don't go out wide, Theon's in trouble. If they do go out wide to help out the two-on-one situation against his full-backs then I'm dominating the centre as it'll be Essien, Sousa & Rui Costa against Pirlo and one other.

And I notice he keeps on mentioning Maldini when it comes to Ronaldo and hides Thiago Silva as if he doesn't exist. Ronaldo would love to run at his fellow Brazilian

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
This ones really, really close IMO. Sousa's bound to get underrated...

Thisistheone

This ones really, really close IMO. Sousa's bound to get underrated...
He will be, and I knew that when I drafted him. Had a choice of him or Carrick who were both ideal for the role needed. But Paulo Sousa was a better player than Carrick. In my head I had the Carrick-Fletcher combo, which worked so well for us when we were the best team in Europe and I see Paulo Sousa - Essien as an even better version of that.

Fergus' son

He will be, and I knew that when I drafted him. Had a choice of him or Carrick who were both ideal for the role needed. But Paulo Sousa was a better player than Carrick. In my head I had the Carrick-Fletcher combo, which worked so well for us when we were the best team in Europe and I see Paulo Sousa - Essien as an even better version of that.
Sousa > Carrick for me too, he has a great range of passing. The key for your team could be when possession changes hands, theon is quite reliant on his brilliant wingbacks providing width, if they get caught forward then De Rossi and Gattuso are covering thier flanks, however that would mean abandoning Pirlo in the centre. With the quality of passers you have, aswell as the best striker, I think you're more than capable of using that passing to really exploit the opposition (and the diamond formation) on the break.

On the other hand, it doesn't really seem like you have a proper plan for dealing with Iniesta to me.

Theon definitely needs to swap his strikers around.

Thisistheone

Agree with your first paragraph. I was initially worried about getting out-numbered in the middle but actually, it could work to my advantage with Gattuso and De Rossi having to leave the middle and abandon Pirlo.

I'd say Sousa v Iniesta is less troublesome than Pirlo trying to stop Rui Costa. Sousa was far more competent defensively than Pirlo is. Also, let's not forget Rui Costa played in Serie A during the 90's. He is tactically sound and will be able to stay close to Pirlo when we're not in possession.

If Theon shades possession, I wouldn't mind too much since when my side does have the ball, we seem the more dangerous and most likely to score. With Ronaldo in the side, I know I have goals.

Brightonian

Have to say, that's one of the most balanced, natural diamonds I've seen in these drafts. People too often use it to squeeze impressive midfielders in, excusing the lack of wingers with a flat 'the full-backs will get forward'. Obviously it's not that simple. More midfielders don't work well in a diamond than do. Not all wing-backs are suited to the job either, and the loss of wingers ahead of them can't just be wiped out anyway.

But this one is a peach. You'd struggle to think of a set-up which would be better for Iniesta. And like you say Theon, Gattuso and de Rossi are the sort to relish pushing all over the pitch to win the ball, as opposed to someone like Mascherano or Makelele, who work best if it's a disciplined central area which they're patrolling.

Fergus' son

@tito:

Yeah, the thing is though that not both of them will abandon Pirlo at the same time (in theory), but you do also have great wingbacks yourself that could double on one side rather quickly on the counter, which would be extremely dangerous with Ronaldo central.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Some really silly comments being made here.

TITO has no plan for Iniesta, or Shevchenko dropping deep. When I brought that up he says that Sousa and Essien will be targetting both of them.

1) They couldn't do it, this is Iniesta and Shevchenko we are talking about and Sousa/Essien is no Keane/Davids. I doubt the two of them could stop Iniesta alone let alone Shevchenko who will be peeling out wide into space - just as he did for Milan.

2) Somehow Essien/Sousa will be covering these two, yet it will still be a contest in the middle? This absolutely won't happen - if Essien and Sousa want to track Shevchenko and Iniesta then that's fine, but Pirlo/De Rossi/Gattuso will absolutely monopolise the ball. Pirlo will be pinging passes left, right and centre if his two CM's start picking up Sheva and Iniesta.

He can't have it both ways. I have Pirlo at the base and Iniesta/Sheva at the tip - at the moment Sousa and Essien are apparently stopping both of these danger zones which is hugely unrealistic.

Thisistheone

I see voters just love a diamond. Taking that if the players suit it, nothing can beat a diamond. Strange.

Roberto Carlos and Dani Alves play a big role, as you say Fergus, great wingbacks who could double up on Theon on one side.

Thisistheone

Seriously under-rating Essien and Sousa, Theon. This isn't Cabeye and Tiote we're talking about here. Both were world class and more than a match for Gattuso-De Rossi. Better in fact.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I see voters just love a diamond.
Diamonds have been absolutely annihilated in this draft, there were about 5 of them and only 1 got through the first round.

A diamond has also never won one of these drafts.

So that's rubbish mate.

Thisistheone

I said a diamond that has players who suit it. They see that and suddenly the lack of width and all the problems a diamond has, disappear?

Look at how the game gets played out, you either get exploited out wide or if your midfielders move out to help, then Pirlo gets out-numbered in the middle.

I honestly believe that if this game was played out for real and not on jpegs then my side would win. You have a superb team, no doubt, but the draw was bad from your point of view in the sense that my side just happens to be a bad match-up for your boys.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Some really silly comments being made here.

TITO has no plan for Iniesta, or Shevchenko dropping deep. When I brought that up he says that Sousa and Essien will be targetting both of them.

1) They couldn't do it, this is Iniesta and Shevchenko we are talking about and Sousa/Essien is no Keane/Davids. I doubt the two of them could stop Iniesta alone let alone Shevchenko who will be peeling out wide into space - just as he did for Milan.

2) Somehow Essien/Sousa will be covering these two, yet it will still be a contest in the middle? This absolutely won't happen - if Essien and Sousa want to track Shevchenko and Iniesta then that's fine, but Pirlo/De Rossi/Gattuso will absolutely monopolise the ball. Pirlo will be pinging passes left, right and centre if his two CM's start picking up Sheva and Iniesta.

He can't have it both ways. I have Pirlo at the base and Iniesta/Sheva at the tip - at the moment Sousa and Essien are apparently stopping both of these danger zones which is hugely unrealistic.

Either of them dropping deep? As in towards your goal? Why would they do that? You're so defensive already.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Seriously under-rating Essien and Sousa, Theon. This isn't Cabeye and Tiote we're talking about here. Both were world class and more than a match for Gattuso-De Rossi. Better in fact.
Not a chance.

1) Abililty of the players - Gattuso is the best ballwinner I have ever seen, and I include both Keane and Davids in that comment. They were both better players, but as a pure ruthless ballwinner who would press/close down all game Gattuso was the best in the business.

You need to compliment Gattuso with some passers to get the best out of him, but I've done that here. So did Milan where Gattuso won the Champions League, so did Italy where he won the World Cup and made it into the team of the tournament with some immense performances.

De Rossi was the best defensive midfielder in the world around 2006-2009. The only criticism that could be levelled at him is that he underperformed for Italy, but he put those criticisms to bed in Euro 2012 where he was probably the 3rd best player of the tournament, behind Iniesta and Pirlo - his two team mates here.

2) Getting the best out of them - Both of mine are absolutely in their perfect set up. Firstly because it's a proven all Italian midfield that has won the world cup together, gotten to the final of Euro 2012, and then Gattuso/Pirlo dominated Europe. You can't ignore that proven record, they players have won everything their is to win playing together

Secondly, they did it in this exact formation. This is another proven record that shows I am getting the best out of my players, Gattuso and De Rossi are both best in narrow midfields, which is exactly what they are playing now.

Essien played a box to box role at Chelsea with Makelele and then Mikel sitting. Is he playing that now? You said you have him tracking Iniesta, but Essien got played as a holder at Chelsea and it didn't work - they moved him out of the position and back into CM with a midfield partner and a DM behind him.

Thisistheone

Either of them dropping deep? As in towards your goal? Why would they do that? You're so defensive already.
Agreed. As I mentioned in my OP; The Diamond is a defensive formation, a predictable one, and not good for a team that needs to take the initiative. Playing against Ronaldo, Figo, Rui Costa, Theon’s certainly going to concede so will need goals and I don’t see him getting them. With his playmaker, Pirlo being harrassed, he doesn’t have much else. Gattuso and De Rossi offer nothing offensively. Iniesta is his only hope but if he’s getting nothing to feed on he can’t influence attacks.

And if he is dropping deep, along with Shev, then Theon is parking the bus almost. ;)
I'm only half joking with that one, cos he really is set-up negatively.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
No mate.

It was that he doesn't have a plan for Iniesta, OR Shevchenko dropping deep. So Iniesta is just playing in the hole like he usually would do, but Sheva isn't just stood up next to Crespo. Shevchenko is dropping deeper with Crespo leading the line.

That is exactly how it worked with Shevchenko/Inzaghi, and Shevchenko/Crespo - it just means that he'll be running the channels and finding space.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Agreed. As I mentioned in my OP; The Diamond is a defensive formation, a predictable one, and not good for a team that needs to take the initiative. Playing against Ronaldo, Figo, Rui Costa, Theon’s certainly going to concede so will need goals and I don’t see him getting them. With his playmaker, Pirlo being harrassed, he doesn’t have much else. Gattuso and De Rossi offer nothing offensively. Iniesta is his only hope but if he’s getting nothing to feed on he can’t influence attacks.

And if he is dropping deep, along with Shev, then Theon is parking the bus almost. ;)
I'm only half joking with that one, cos he really is set-up negatively.
But I'm not though?

The team is set out to absolutely dominate the ball, you're going to be heavily reliant on the counter attack.

On the bolded - who is harassing Pirlo? This is what I am talking about, absolutely ludicrous that Pirlo is apparently being harassed, but Sousa and Essien are also tracking Iniesta and Shevchenko when he pulls wide. You can't have it both ways.

Thisistheone

Rui Costa was doing the business when Serie A was at the height of it's powers in the 90's. It's ignorant to think he wouldn't be tactically aware of Pirlo and giving him space. He will stay close by when we don't have the ball and will be helped out by Di Maria.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Rui Costa was doing the business when Serie A was at the height of it's powers in the 90's. It's ignorant to think he wouldn't be tactically aware of Pirlo and giving him space. He will stay close by when we don't have the ball and will be helped out by Di Maria.
So Rui Costa is your big plan for harassing Pirlo? This is getting silly, he offers less defensively than Iniesta.

Sousa is your only hope of controlling the game, and he is two or three levels below Pirlo when it comes to ability - and he has Gattuso and Iniesta on him, both far better defensively than Rui Costa.

Thisistheone

No way is Sousa "two or three levels below Pirlo"

And don't make it sound like I'm asking Rui Costa to man-mark Pirlo, I just want him close by when we don't have the ball. It's when we do have the ball you should be worried about. Rui Costa will drift past Pirlo and open you up

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
TITO has two real threats which my team is set up to counter

1) Ronaldo vs Maldini - this is a close contest but there is noone better to face the great Brazillian

2) Figo vs Cafu + Gattuso - When Figo gets the ball Gattuso has strict instructions to relentlessly press the winger and prevent him cutting inside.

Both these match ups will be extremely close, and we'll have to be at our best to keep TITO's danger players quiet - but at the same time there is a clear plan to minimise the threat.

In contrast I have three danger areas which aren't comparatively countered by TITO

1) Iniesta completely unmarked and dropping into the space behind Sousa and Essien

2) Shevchenko dropping deep and running the channels - he did this behind Crespo for Milan and with no assigned defensive midfielder and attacking wingbacks this is a real danger

3) Pirlo vs Rui Costa - It takes a ruthless man marker to stop Pirlo dictating the game and Rui Costa is far from that. TITO has a weak midfield compared to the rest of his team which Pirlo will absolutely relish.

I think this is the key to the game. Unlike TITO I'm not underrating his attacking players, I know they are a huge threat - but I've given them specific instuctions on how to minimise it.

TITO hasn't done the same though. Maldini/Ronaldo is a legitimate contest, but Pirlo has no hope of being stopped by Rui Costa.

Shevchenko is playing his usual deeper forward role and running the channels, and Iniesta is drifting right across the front line with total freddom. They both need to be tracked but TITO doesn't have any realistic plans for that.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
No way is Sousa "two or three levels below Pirlo"
Pirlo is in a different league to Sousa TITO be realistic.

If he was anywhere near Pirlo he wouldn't have been an 8th round pick behind the likes of Cambiasso or Mascherano

Pirlo is up there with Xavi, and has probably surpassed Scholes - he's an all time great so I don't get why you would play him down. I've been very respectful of your big players

Thisistheone

2) Figo vs Cafu + Gattuso -
This is more like Roberto Carlos and Figo v Cafu. With the possibility of Gattuso coming in to help if he feels he can abandon the middle and let Pirlo and De Rossi face Sousa, Essien and Rui Costa with Dani Alves and Di Maria on the other flank. It's too risky.

Thisistheone

Think it's time to bring in Blanc and Desailly. They're feeling ignored. Both were excellent on the ball and both will be ideal to help my side shift play out wide where we feel we'd out-number Theon.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
This is more like Roberto Carlos and Figo v Cafu. With the possibility of Gattuso coming in to help if he feels he can abandon the middle and let Pirlo and De Rossi face Sousa, Essien and Rui Costa with Dani Alves and Di Maria on the other flank
Carlos and Alves overcommitting is actually a really big danger for you

As I said just below that bit you quoted

"2) Shevchenko dropping deep and running the channels - he did this behind Crespo for Milan and with no assigned defensive midfielder and attacking wingbacks this is a real danger"

That is what Sheva thrives off, he has a huge workrate and stamina to go with his technique and he'll be everywhere across that front line. It doesn't even need saying that Iniesta does the exact same, he's got a completely free role to drift in this side and if Carlos bombs forward too often he'll just drift right over.

That would leave Sheva + Iniesta + Crespo vs Desailly + Blanc

That is more dangerous that Di Maria being free on the opposite side of the pitch when Gattuso closes Figo down.

Thisistheone

You ignore Sousa and Essien. Like they don't exist. They deserved better recognition.

I look at your team and admit, initially, it looks better, but when you look into it deeper, the midfield battle isn't as one sided as I first thought, I have an advantage on both flanks, and You lack goals as well. Goals win games. Strikers win games and I have the best one in Ronaldo, who has the likes of Figo, Di Maria and Rui Costa supporting him.

Fergus' son

Big strength for theon is all the partnerships he has in his team, from the front two, the Italian midfield, and in particular the two wing backs who probably have a good understanding of when to bomb forward (them getting forward and Tito then counter attacking is the biggest threat of a goal I can see in this game so far).

That said, Blanc/Desailly is supreme, and I loved Ronaldo at Barcelona more than anywhere else, reuniting him with any of those Barca teammates, Figo, is just drool worthy. The Portugese midfield plus Essien is rather nice too, tactically the players are very sound (as are Theons).

Great contest this one.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Right I am going off now for a few hours to take the little lad to throw bread to the ducks :lol:

Just before I go - TITO has a great team and we'll need to be at our best to combat his threat, but we've got a clear plan to try and do that.

1) Ronaldo - is the best player on the pitch, but he is up against his worst opponent in Maldini. Ronaldo said himself that Maldini is the best he ever faced so this should be an amazing match up.

2) Figo is his creative hub - as he says the diamond is weakest out wide and very strong in the middle, but that is why Gattuso is there to help out and close down. This isn't a fullproof plan and there is certainly going to be times when Figo gets isolated against Cafu which could be a problem for my team.

But at the same time this is a proven tactic, Italy did it with Gattuso and Milan did it with Gattuso - so it clearly has some success.

Also, even when Figo does isolate Cafu as I said in the OP Cafu has instructions to show him down the flanks as much as he can, which will help against his threat

"Both players have deliberate instructions to show Figo down the line and prevent him coming inside – as a right footed player on the left wing the threat from crossing is minimal

Most importantly this will not get the best out of Ronaldo."

Thisistheone

Anyway, good opening Theon. Enjoying the early sparing. (you should have given me the bye :D) Will be out for a few hours now so I'll be back later,

Cheers!

Thisistheone

Clever of Theon to make his graphic in a Milan kit as well. People will think "ah the great Milan side with that diamond" but it's also the Milan side who, no doubt brilliant, never played against such a team as mine, with that quality. They also pissed away a 3-0 lead vs Liverpool and lost. If the likes of Jimi Traore, Riise, Garcia, Kewell, Smicer and Milan Baros can beat them then my boys should too.

Right, I'll be back later

Interval

Level
Carlos and Alves will wreak havoc. Theon is just too narrow. Is going to rely on a moment of flair to score if the opposition makes the game narrow.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
There's a risk of Essien being underrated a bit in this given his decline in the last few years, while Pirlo in the same time has even further enhanced his reputation. We can't forget what a player Essien was in his prime, the man was a beast.

Brilliant matchup this