Redcafe Champions League Draft QF4 - Theon v Thisistheone

Who will win based on players in their prime, team tactics, balance & bench strength?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
About your first point, I was trying to convince theon to take Totti and not just because I didn't want him to take Xavi! I would've liked Shev, Iniesta and Totti as a front three much much more. I understand he didn't want to pick up two strikers when Ronaldo was going to become available though, but I think it would've made this tricky tie against you a lot easier.
The only issue with that is Totti throughout his career has always played at his best when the entire play goes through him, he loves to be the main man and delivers his best. Him shuffling out on a flank while Iniesta's doing his stuff would just leave him frustrated. Not an issue when having a public vote on a forum but I always see that as one when trying to include Totti in a fantasy team.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Decent point but I would overplay it too much really, don't know how much you can read into it. I'm sure if theon tries hard enough he can find instances of a diamond beating a formation like yours. Th first leg was 4-1 in Milans favour rignt?

Really don't think it proves that your formation is suited to counter Theons, even though that's a point I am finding myself agreeing with. Haven't really heard how the threat of Carlos and Alves is going to be nullified, looks like your best weapon right now.
The threat is largely nullified because the wingbacks need to defend - they can't constantly bomb up the pitch because that would just leave Desailly and Blanc 2 vs 2 against Crespo and Shevchenko. If Carlos and Alves commit too often that plays right into Iniesta and Shevchenko's hands, they would just occupy that space.

Don't forget unlike Maldini and Thaigo Silva facing one striker, Desailly and Blanc are facing two. You can't just keep sending fullbacks forward against two strikers of that quality, especially because Iniesta is there to join in.

I really think people are underestimating the impact playing two strikers have - his wingbacks cannot keep going forward, he doesn't even have an assigned defensive midfielder for feck sake! If Blanc and Desailly keep getting isolated 2 vs 2 then this game is over.

I have given loads of plans to combat his strengths Fergus - 1) Ronaldo vs Maldini 2) Gattuso/Cafu vs Figo 3) Sheva/Crespo exploiting his wingbacks if they get too adventurous.

You should question him on how he will stop Pirlo, Iniesta, Shevchenko and Crespo.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
The only issue with that is Totti throughout his career has always played at his best when the entire play goes through him, he loves to be the main man and delivers his best. Him shuffling out on a flank while Iniesta's doing his stuff would just leave him frustrated. Not an issue when having a public vote on a forum but I always see that as one when trying to include Totti in a fantasy team.
I tend to think that aswell but I thought Theons set up was actually pretty good to include him. I was imagining Iniesta pulling out to the left a lot more as Totti will drop in, and thought Totti would be perfect to capitalise when Sheva pulled out to the channels too.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I heavily considered Totti, he's an absolute legend and he fits the Italian theme well.

The reason I didn't is because I would prefer to partner Sheva with more of a goalscorer, which replicates how he played at Milan and allows him to peel out to the channels. If I got Totti he would have been the deeper striker and it wouldn't have worked as well, as Sheva pulling wide would leave noone occupying the CB's or providing a through ball opportunity for Iniesta/Pirlo.

The most natural pick would have been Van Nistelrooy I reckon, but I don't think he is a huge improvement on Crespo and Xavi gives me some tactical options

Fergus' son

The threat is largely nullified because the wingbacks need to defend - they can't constantly bomb up the pitch because that would just leave Desailly and Blanc 2 vs 2 against Crespo and Shevchenko. If Carlos and Alves commit too often that plays right into Iniesta and Shevchenko's hands, they would just occupy that space.

Don't forget unlike Maldini and Thaigo Silva facing one striker, Desailly and Blanc are facing two. You can't just keep sending fullbacks forward against two strikers of that quality, especially because Iniesta is there to join in.

I really think people are underestimating the impact playing two strikers have - his wingbacks cannot keep going forward, he doesn't even have an assigned defensive midfielder for feck sake! If Blanc and Desailly keep getting isolated 2 vs 2 then this game is over.

I have given loads of plans to combat his strengths Fergus - 1) Ronaldo vs Maldini 2) Gattuso/Cafu vs Figo 3) Sheva/Crespo exploiting his wingbacks if they get too adventurous.

You should question him on how he will stop Pirlo, Iniesta, Shevchenko and Crespo.
I do understand that, it's just that there isn't a direct threat to his full backs with our diamond, Iniesta and Shev will sometimes be pulling out there but is that enough to stop them getting forward? I'm not certain and if they combine with thier wing partners, for me that represents the biggest danger in the game.

Good point with the two forwards, I'd prefer Aguero in there though, and I have been trying to find out how Iniesta is going to be stopped, and to no avail!

It's boiling down to the threat of Iniesta vs the threat of Figo/Carlos for me as it stands..

Fergus' son

I heavily considered Totti, he's an absolute legend and he fits the Italian theme well.

The reason I didn't is because I would prefer to partner Sheva with more of a goalscorer, which replicates how he played at Milan and allows him to peel out to the channels. If I got Totti he would have been the deeper striker and it wouldn't have worked as well, as Sheva pulling wide would leave noone occupying the CB's or providing a through ball opportunity for Iniesta/Pirlo.

The most natural pick would have been Van Nistelrooy I reckon, but I don't think he is a huge improvement on Crespo and Xavi gives me some tactical options
Totti would've been perfect mate, he would score as many goals as Crespo if you assign that role to him and he brings a lot more too. Academic now though anyway...

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
I'm about to read the thread but off just looking at the teams I prefer Thisistheone's team.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I do understand that, it's just that there isn't a direct threat to his full backs with our diamond, Iniesta and Shev will sometimes be pulling out there but is that enough to stop them getting forward?
I agree that isn't enough on its own, but the main point is that they need to be defending. It isn't just that Shev/Iniesta will exploit the space, it's a simple numbers game that if Carlos keeps getting caught in no mans land up the pitch then that leaves a 2 vs 2

This is the big point about playing two forwards. If Carlos gets caught and its Desailly/Blanc in a 2 vs 1 then that is a risk worth taking, but 2 vs 2 with Iniesta ready to pounce as well? Much too big a threat.

That is also why I mentioned him lacking a clear assigned defensive midfielder to operate in the hole. If he has for example Makelele behind that CM pairing instead of Rui Costa then that toughens the defence up and he can support Desailly/Blanc if the wingbacks go forward.

He doesn't have that though, you can't send wingbacks constantly forward against such an isolated and unprotected back line.

Fergus' son

I agree that isn't enough on its own, but the main point is that they need to be defending. It isn't just that Shev/Iniesta will exploit the space, it's a simple numbers game that if Carlos keeps getting caught in no mans land up the pitch then that leaves a 2 vs 2

This is the big point about playing two forwards. If Carlos gets caught and its Desailly/Blanc in a 2 vs 1 then that is a risk worth taking, but 2 vs 2 with Iniesta ready to pounce as well? Much too big a threat.

That is also why I mentioned him lacking a clear assigned defensive midfielder to operate in the hole. If he has for example Makelele behind that CM pairing instead of Rui Costa then that toughens the defence up and he can support Desailly/Blanc if the wingbacks go forward.

He doesn't have that though, you can't send wingbacks constantly forward against such an isolated and unprotected back line.
Good post.

Will leave you two to thrash this out a bit longer.

JaffyJoe

No Xavi theon? At his peak he is a lot more mobile than Pirlo that allows you to drop Gattuso as the deepest midfielder to watch Rui Costa (which would be an amazing battle at their peaks) and there is no way a midfield with Xavi+Iniesta (De Rossi) can be contained by TITO's team. They then have Sheva and Crespo to supply which just means goals galore, Shevchenko at his peak was as much a threat inside the box as he was outside it.

TITO has a lovely midfield Essien at Chelsea was a box to box midfielder of they highest quality. Essien had pace, power, wonder goals, stamina he had EVERYTHING. I was so annoyed we didn't get him, maybe Sir Alex feared another Djemba Djemba unfortunately not the same player because of the knee injuries but at his peak one of Europe's best. Di Maria is so so for me but he is up against Candela the worst player on the pitch.

Fergus' son

No Xavi theon? At his peak he is a lot more mobile than Pirlo that allows you to drop Gattuso as the deepest midfielder to watch Rui Costa (which would be an amazing battle at their peaks) and there is no way a midfield with Xavi+Iniesta (De Rossi) can be contained by TITO's team. They then have Sheva and Crespo to supply which just means goals galore, Shevchenko at his peak was as much a threat inside the box as he was outside it.

TITO has a lovely midfield Essien at Chelsea was a box to box midfielder of they highest quality. Essien had pace, power, wonder goals, stamina he had EVERYTHING. I was so annoyed we didn't get him, maybe Sir Alex feared another Djemba Djemba unfortunately not the same player because of the knee injuries but at his peak one of Europe's best. Di Maria is so so for me but he is up against Candela the worst player on the pitch.
Don't think SAF rejected him if thats what you're suggesting, we couldn't compete with Chelsea millions I think.

Thisistheone

Looks like my boys are up against it.8 votes down considering Myself and my assistant have both voted.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Crespo and Van Nistelrooy are on par for me and in terms of the fit here I prefer the Argentinian.

Thisistheone

Theon seems to think both Roberto Carlos and Dani Alves will bomb forward at the same time. Not the case in reality. It's either one or the other. These are experienced, CL winning players who have faced C.Ronaldo and Figo in their time. They know the score.

Thisistheone

We're pretty much agreed that this a tight game and Ronaldo doesn't seem to be getting a mention so far.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Crespo and Van Nistelrooy are on par for me and in terms of the fit here I prefer the Argentinian.
Good!

It was a tough call, especially on the Caf as I don't expect anyone here really to think Crespo stacks up against Ruud. I think a lot will judge him on Chelsea

Thisistheone

Agree about Essien. Shocking how poorly he's getting viewed. People have short memories.

Also why draft Xavi and not play him?

Thisistheone

There's a risk of Essien being underrated a bit in this given his decline in the last few years, while Pirlo in the same time has even further enhanced his reputation. We can't forget what a player Essien was in his prime, the man was a beast.

Brilliant matchup this
Cutch picked up on it early doors. Still surprised though.

JaffyJoe

Don't think SAF rejected him if thats what you're suggesting, we couldn't compete with Chelsea millions I think.

No I think he wanted to come here first we didn't make an offer then Chelsea bid then that was it...

JaffyJoe

Agree about Essien. Shocking how poorly he's getting viewed. People have short memories.

Also why draft Xavi and not play him?

Yep I think it's because he is a shadow of himself now but at his best? He was amazing.

Also very odd not to use Xavi, ESPECIALLY when you have Iniesta that combination in midfield dominated almost every game they played for club and country for 5 years...

Polaroid

Why not Figo on the right against Candela? He will have the regular beating of him, pulling the LCB out of position and leaving Ronaldo one on one.
Pity that Xavi has to be on the bench, the wonderful synergy of Xavi-Iniesta would have added another dimension

Thisistheone

It's a very good point that's already been discussed and now I think is a good time to make the switch. If the OP could be updated;

Figo against Candela, massive miss-match, if Maldini decides to come across Ronaldo is wrecking even more havok in the middle

Thisistheone

Congrats Theon, your team was so good my assistant manager nearly voted for you!

You will be hard to beat from here on with Ronaldo.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Theon's looking increasingly strong. Ronaldo is a great capture at this stage.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Cheers TITO good game mate - some pretty ruthless debates there :lol:

Figo's been tearing into Candela long enough to earn my vote.
Yeah but Iniesta was tearing into noone the entire game, as opposed to Figo vs Candela for a quarter of it!

NM

Can't believe how unlucky I was to get Theon in round 1. Only way he loses is if his opposition has Best and Garrincha (I know they aren't in the draft) as wingers.

Moby

Dick
Can't believe how unlucky I was to get Theon in round 1. Only way he loses is if his opposition has Best and Garrincha (I know they aren't in the draft) as wingers.
Don't count out Gio yet. Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Romario and Nedved will take some stopping.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I really enjoyed the debate in this one. Well done lads. Voted for Theon as he's absolutely nailed the diamond formation and he argued his points brilliantly. Forceful without resorting to hyperbole, and I thought his arguments about Iniesta not being adequately marked and Pirlo being able to deal with Rui Costa covering him were the most compelling ones put forward. Tito put up a good argument himself though and I had to put a fair amount of thought into this before voting.

Thisistheone

Cheers mate, that's all I can ask for really, a good debate and a close match-up that makes voters think.

Look forward to the semi-finals! Can't pick a winner for sure though. All 4 teams are superb.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Was a good game this. The Golden Portuguese trio of Sousa-Rui Costa and Figo probably wasn't rated as highly as it should have. Gut feel that Essien alongside those other two looked a bit wonky/like a style mismatch in the midfield unit relative to a pretty immense and proven one.

TITO certainly was well set up for this. You have to worry about Theon's future contenders if those fullbacks + Figo and Ronaldo couldn't make him look vulnerable enough. Theon wasn't exactly freescoring but now has O Fenómeno :nervous: