Redcafe Champions League Draft Semi Final - Gio v Fergus

Who will win based on players in their prime, team tactics, balance & bench strength?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Congrats Gio. For the record, although I ultimately had you down to lose this, I reckon you were better placed to win the final. Right pair of fullbacks for it and better CB pair to go up against Ronaldo-Shevchenko. Upfront you could be as effective as Fergus. I'd be mindful of the midfield battle, any of the pairs you went for here could have a very hard time.

I'm not sure Cristiano-Messi would give you as big an upgrade as what you could need in midfield. Not sure Scholes or Schweinsteiger are the answer though, Scholes would have Fab's defensive lightweight issues and Schweinsteiger may be punching above his weight. Or not. It's the sort of decision that could give Theon a ten vote lead straight off the bat though: no Messi/Ronaldo pick? :eek: :lol:
The next pick is a tricky one. The front four is already very strong, but there's no Davids or Redondo to make the midfield more voter-friendly.

Unlucky for Fergus'son, his gameplan and tactical switch were both very astute.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
:lol: Point taken Anto!

On Gio's pick - I really don't doubt he will pick Ronaldo/Messi, personally I would go for Ronaldo. Messi is a better player but Ronaldo looks nice in that team and I just see Messi keep cutting inside which isn't the best approach

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The next pick is a tricky one. The front four is already very strong, but there's no Davids or Redondo to make the midfield more voter-friendly.

Unlucky for Fergus'son, his gameplan and tactical switch were both very astute.
I felt he had outmanoeuvred you with the switch, but the more I thought about it the less I liked it. Basically, he had improved the attack but the reason I could see him winning it had gone out of the window.

antohan

:lol: Point taken Anto!

On Gio's pick - I really don't doubt he will pick Ronaldo/Messi, personally I would go for Ronaldo. Messi is a better player but Ronaldo looks nice in that team and I just see Messi keep cutting inside which isn't the best approach
I see your point but I'd take Messi as he is a great fall back upfront if Romario is being underrated. Ronaldo leaves Gio exposed to how much people fancy Romario vs. Maldini-Nesta. When the other side has Ronaldo Fenómeno and Shevchenko, he has lost a fair few votes straight off the bat. He is lucky to have a legendary United pair, but no CB pair can realistically stop those two from scoring. None.

Which is why the midfield battle then becomes central and, again, you are stronger there.

He's got his work cut out TBH. He has a decent chance though, particularly vs. a ball-less Theon Gravejoy.

Polaroid

Gio could go for a fluid line-up that interchanges between 4-2-2-2 and 4-2-3-1 with Messi as a 9 1/2 or 10

antohan

You mean Rivaldo left and Ronnie right?

Theon may yet surprise him, he was considering several players, not just Nesta. He really is a humongous muppet when he gets the chance to pick players. And I say that in the nicest way, it's infectious and frustrating at the same time.

He is the fantasy draft equivalent of GM on Werewolf, an emotional rollercoaster.

Polaroid

You mean Rivaldo left and Ronnie right?
That or Ronnie left, Nedved right

Theon may yet surprise him, he was considering several players, not just Nesta. He really is a humongous muppet when he gets the chance to pick players. And I say that in the nicest way, it's infectious and frustrating at the same time.

He is the fantasy draft equivalent of GM on Werewolf, an emotional rollercoaster.
I shared with him my opinion that he should take Nesta
Will not share more here as it will reveal insights into his thinking

antohan

I shared with him my opinion that he should take Nesta
Will not share more here as it will reveal insights into his thinking
:lol: Theon why do you drive us up the wall separately via convos? Why not just use the main thread? If anything, it may make Gio overconfident ;)

antohan

Theon-Nesta
Gio-Messi
That makes sense, he still managed to find a way of misfitting Zidane into his midfield though.

I know reason will prevail, I just find it hilarious how he can come up with 10 different options where there is only one, two tops.

antohan

That or Ronnie left, Nedved right
I think you are right that his best shot at this is 4-3-3 with Messi as false 9. It's a real shame Gio has an abundance of left-side options but came up against Thuram and now Cafú, while on the right he could have more joy (Irwin, Candela) but has players everyone would rather see elsewhere on the pitch.

I'd go Rivaldo-Messi-Ronnie myself :drool: