RedCafe Cricket Draft

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The rules are simple :
A team consists of 11 players
No team must pick more than 3 players from the same nationality
A player who has made his debut TEST DEBUT only ON OR AFTER JANUARY FIRST 1980 will be eligible
12 players. We go from 1 to 16 and then back to 1 till we all have a team of 11 players! In short, 1-16 then 16-1 then 1-16 and so on.
Every player has 12 hours to pick the player.
This'll be a test team
Thanks to AldoRaine18(newbie) for the rules.

The sequence is

KM
Omar Dalvi
AldoRaine18
Unitedfan101
Zen
Interval Level
ha_rooney
nm03
kps88
R-Indian
Desert Eagle
Crappy
MJJ
Mightberight
Donadol
Stretch

kps88

I'm in. Although getting people to vote will probably be hard.

Red-Indian

I'd enjoy participating as well.

I don't really see the point of the more complicated rules. Not that they're a huge hindrance but why bother?

If some guy has a pet project and wants to do an all Australian team (didn't someone do an all Brazil team in one of the football drafts), why bar him? It will be fun to see if he can manage it.

Also why the 2500 run/75 wicket barrier? I doubt anyone will be picked with less than that given the voting system but if someone who's a romantic wants to pick a star who shone bright and brief, why bar him? You can tell I've just read 'Chinaman -The legend of Pradeep Mathew' by the way. Cracking book and a must for any subcontinental cricket lover. Highly recommended.

KM

So 12 people so far. We'll wait till friday, if we get to 16, if not then we'll start anyway.

Red-Indian

16 players going to be a bit of challenge. Thats 182 players among the participants. At a rough guess, i'd say there's about 50 class batsmen and 50 class bowlers in te era you're talking about. outside the top 100, you'll be getting into averages in the low 30s for batsmen and high 30s for bowlers.

Should be fun in its own way though. I imagine we'll be picking the likes of Grant Flower and Venkatapathy Raju before long.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
16 players going to be a bit of challenge. Thats 182 players among the participants. At a rough guess, i'd say there's about 50 class batsmen and 50 class bowlers in te era you're talking about. outside the top 100, you'll be getting into averages in the low 30s for batsmen and high 30s for bowlers.

Should be fun in its own way though. I imagine we'll be picking the likes of Grant Flower and Venkatapathy Raju before long.
Raju :drool:

kps88

I repeat, what is a draft?
We each take turns in picking players until we all have a team of 11/12. Then each team is pitted against each other, knock out tournament style, with the Caf voting on who they think would be the victor.

Interval

Level

That's the fun of it, though.

More importantly, what about pitches and conditions? Should we assume flat tracks and stuff 7 batsmen or bouncy with 3 seamers?

kps88

Maybe we can assume a perfectly balanced pitch with something in it for everyone?

Red-Indian

Yeah a packed Melbourne - bounce on the first couple of days with batting getting easier second day onwards and turn the last couple of days.

Also all players at their peaks...unless they were very short. For example, you can't pick Narendra Hirwani and expect him to be considered only as he bowled in 'that' series but there should be no issues asking people to forget Shoaib Akhtar's last few years.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Will someone keep an updated list of players drafted by each poster or are we expected to have to trawl through all the posts to see who has not been picked?

Also are the restrictions of 2500 runs/75 wickets set to remain?

Interval

Level
Will someone keep an updated list of players drafted by each poster or are we expected to have to trawl through all the posts to see who has not been picked?

Also are the restrictions of 2500 runs/75 wickets set to remain?
Check the 50s draft thread going on in the football forum. Will give you an idea of how a list is maintained.

Red-Indian

16 participants now by my count. Lets see...1985 to now. Say two and half generations of players (assuming an average player life of 10 years). 8 test teams...10 if you include Bangladesh and Zimbabwe - I'd estimate a total pool of about 250 players. I think you might be in danger of not having enough players for everybody to pick if you don't relax the rules of 2500 runs & 75 wickets.

kps88

I don't see any reason for that rule. If someone wants to pick a batsman with 1 run to his name, let him.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I don't see any reason for that rule. If someone wants to pick a batsman with 1 run to his name, let him.
Agreed. I'm going to have Chris Martin opening the batting for my team!

KM

Okay feck you cnuts. I'm taking off the limit. Take anyone you wanted.

KM

The sequence is

KM
Omar Dalvi
RDCR
Unitedfan101
Zen
Interval Level
ha_rooney
nm03
kps88
R-Indian
Desert Eagle
Crappy
MJJ
Mightberight
Donadol
Stretch

KM

Right I've removed that minimum runs and wickets requirement.

Only those players who has made his debut TEST DEBUT only ON OR AFTER JANUARY FIRST 1980 will be eligible

After you've made your choice. Also PM the next person(after you in sequence) to make sure he remembers to make the choice.

All rules fair?

I'll start then.

Jacques Kallis/

KM

That's the fun of it, though.

More importantly, what about pitches and conditions? Should we assume flat tracks and stuff 7 batsmen or bouncy with 3 seamers?
That's something to think about.

That's what can be decided during the match. But I'm thinking the matches should be played at Lords, MCG, Eden Gardens and Wanderers. These things could be decided during or after the picks are made.

mightberight

Hmm. I think the order should have been randomised to make it fairer, big difference between first and 16th best as your first pick. Kallis was the one I picked last time, I think he dropped to something like 7th for me.

NM

We should randomize the order KM. all the drafts do it

NM

Also I'm on a flight for 3 hours so feel freE to skip me if my tun comes up in that time frame