RedCafe Fantasy Draft Competition: Round One

Erics_Collar

Please Vote! RedCafe Fantasy Draft Competition: Round One

Okay guys so Ive finally gotten round to the Knockout Round of the Fantasy Draft. I appreciate you guys waiting for me to be able to do this. What Im going to do is reply to this post 8 times, each post being a seperate match. Id appreciate it if no one replied until after the 8 matches have been posted, and please only post if you are voting.

The 8 matches are as follows:

Match 1: Fort Boyard vs MelvinYeo
Match 2: Cal? vs SharkyMcShark
Match 3: The Law Of Denis vs Roodboy
Match 4: Ace vs Solius
Match 5: M13 Red vs Danish Voice
Match 6: Erics_Collar vs Smash-E
Match 7: Vinay vs R.Nillson7
Match 8: esmufc09 vs SirAF

Anybody is free to vote except those in the competition. This is just to make sure nobody votes for the weaker teams to ensure they get an easier draw in the next round.

Each reply I make to this post will have a match in it, that will show each persons team, formation and tactics. Please read the tactics before you vote, and understand that it is quality, not quantity, that should matter. Then just copy + paste this with the team you've voted for in place of the word winner:

Vote Match 1: Winner
Vote Match 2: Winner
Vote Match 3: Winner
Vote Match 4: Winner
Vote Match 5: Winner
Vote Match 6: Winner
Vote Match 7: Winner
Vote Match 8: Winner

It would be nice to see people explain their votes, but not everyone will have the time to do so, so it is not compulsory. The voting window will close at midnight on Friday.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS THREAD UNLESS VOTING, AND PLEASE ONLY VOTE ONCE ALL EIGHT MATCHES HAVE BEEN POSTED. THANK YOU.

Any discussion you may have on this can be made here.

Erics_Collar

Match 1: Fort Boyard (Bouncing Boyard Babes) vs MelvinYeo (MUFC)

Tactics

Fort Boyard: Bouncing Boyard Babes
Captain: Vieira
Free Kick Taker(s): Fabregas/ Pires/ Kanchleskis
Corner Taker(s): Pires/ Kanchelskis
Penalty Taker(s): Fabregas (I’m thinking Spain vs Italy Euro 2008)

I’ve gone for a kind of new age dynamic 4-5-1 formation. I sought to establish a strong Midfield 3 that had creativity to help the attack, emphasised by Fabregas in a playmaker role, and steel and strength to protect the defence. Vieria and Diarra combine to create what would be a truly epic CM pairing.
There is no point in touting Vieria and Fabregas too much as we all know what influential and quality players they are; but Lassana Diarra I expect to be labelled as a weak pick, in truth I could have gone for a more favourable like Fletcher, or gone for a player with a longer Premier League career like Thomas Gravesen. The truth is that Diarra made a good number of Premier League appearances; around 60. This means he has played more than picks like Torres, a player whom I’m sure will be lauded. All I’m asking is that Diarra be merited on the same level, he won the Chelsea young player of the year award in their second title winning campaign, but thought that his chances were too limited for a player who was a regular for France, he moved first to Arsenal, and then to Portsmouth to attempt to get regular playing time. It was at Portsmouth we saw what Diarra could do given an extended run in the team, being absolutely pivotal in Portsmouths’ highest ever league finish. He is a great tough-tackling dynamic Centre Mid, and has now earned a move to Real Madrid.
In my formation the flanks would be imperative to the performance. In theory when in attacking possession Kanchelskis and Pires, would act as dangerous attacking threats, playing off a strong and prolific striker in the shape of Nicolas Anelka, Pires and Kanckelskis were regular goalscorers in their premier league years, and would provide more than enough in the striking positions, supported by a creative Fabregas, and aided (when in attack) by a marauding Patrick Vieria, leaving Diarra to cover the defence. As is a feature of the modern game I will utilise my full-backs, allowing them to advance forward and overlap the wingers and providing in both an attack and defending when needed. Le Saux and in particular Sagna are archetypal modern wing backs, able to operate in this role most effectively.
Hopefully the domination in midfield, and ability with great technical players to keep possession and recycle the ball will act as a perfect defensive aid, but on what would be rare occasion of attack breaking through the midfield I feel I have an effective defence to provide adequate cover.
Henning Berg and Tim Flowers were both key members of Blackburn’s 1994/1995 Premiership winning team, Berg was a strong, good-tackling defender but also had the brains and reading of the game to secure a then record breaking transfer to United. Here he was an effective member of a great side, his performance for us against Inter Milan in the Treble winning season particular stands out.
I wanted a CB to compliment Berg, someone who was Pacey and an equally talented reader of the game. I went with the sick-note that is Ledley King, but we all know when fit and at his peak this guy has genuine class, in one of Tottenhams 5th place campaign King’s performances earned him a place in the PFA team of the year. He also broke into the England squad when it was rich with quality centre backs.
Melvin has a good team and is playing a similar tactic to me, I just feel that my midfield has the edge over his, with Diarra and Vieria being able to quell the threat of Veron and Poyet. I also think that he has a weak right flank defensively which would be well exploited by Pires and Le Saux.
In all likeliness Melvin would have to play narrow as Zola would tuck in a lot and Rooney would run back not lead the line, this would mean that the ball would be played in the middle of the park, where my defensive midfielders can do their duties. This is where I feel the game would be won.

MelvinYeo: MUFC
Captain: Pearce
Free Kick Taker(s): Zola
Corner Taker(s): Veron
Penalty Taker(s): Zola

Like for like as I am playing the same formation as Fortboyard.

Goalkeeper: I'll take Jaaskelainen over Flowers, but it's a matter of preference. Jaaskelainen has played in the PL consistently for numerous years now, although Flowers won the league with Blackburn many people remember the horrific blunder that he made when he allowed the ball to bobble into the net.

Defence: Centre defence Henchoz and Desailly provide a good balance, Desailly being the ball player and Henchoz the no nonsense defender. Against Kanchelskis and Anelka my defence might be exposed by pace, hence they will have to sit deeper to counter this where their know how will come in. Sagna > Young Pearce > Le Saux for me.
Midfield: On paper his midfield looks stronger but my midfield isn't too shabby. Hamann will sit and do the same job as Diarra, and given his experience in the league I'll take him. Vieira is one of the best midfielders ever in the league but showed signs of decline towards the end along with Arsenal. Veron has got the better of Vieira in the league before, and is capable of providing key passes to the attackers. Fabregas is an excellent young player but doesn't have the same unpredictability as Veron to turn a game imo, and since the magnificent start to last season his star has not shone as bright. Poyet will also get you goals, similar to Fabregas.
Attack: Zola Rooney Ginola and Kanchelskis Anelka Pires are pretty even, although Rooney might not be suited to leading the front line he has done it before for United. Anelka has not shown his qualities consistently enough imo, and most of the sides he has scored against this season for Chelsea has been the ones lower down in the table. Kanchelskis and Anelka offer pace while Zola and Ginola offer trickery so it's a different approach for both teams even though they are lined up similarly.
My personal opinion on the teams:
Jaaskelainen > Flowers
L Young < Sagna
Henchoz Desailly > King Berg
Pearce > Le Saux..........Defence is mine
Hamann > Diarra
Poyet < Le Saux
Veron < Fabregas.........Midfield is his
Zola > Kanchelskis
Rooney > Anelka
Ginola < Pires..........Attack is mine
My team has the grit and determination as well as quality to be able to overcome his team I feel, and when on song could be formidable.

Erics_Collar

Match 2: Cal? (Cal's XI) vs SharkyMcShark (Cheezel United)

Tactics

Cal?: Cal's XI
Captain: Essien
Free Kick Takers: Ronaldo for those further out, Van Persie for those closer to the area
Corner Taker: Van Persie
Penalty Taker: Ronaldo

My team will play the 4-2-3-1 formation. SharkyMcShark's team's strength definitely lies in his defence, but apart from the defence, I believe it has a rather weak midfield and attack.

Remember guys - this competition is supposed to consider average Premier League performance, so for the great Fowler at Pool, average him with his dreadful spells at Leeds and vice versa for Kewell...

Anyway, I expect my defenders to be able to cope with the threat posed by his attackers and Essien & Gullit to dominate in midfield against Butt & Di Matteo. Sylvinho & Babbel to provide overlapping runs. Sheringham is one of the best in holding up the ball and distributing the ball upfront. Ronaldo will play in the position he played last season which means he can go where he likes. I will also have my attackers interchange much like United do nowadays.

From corners, Ronaldo, Gullit, Sheringham, Bould, Johnsen and Babbel all pose significant aerial threats, whilst Ronaldo & Van Persie are 2 of the best freekick takers in the Premier League right now.

SharkyMcShark: Cheezel United
Captain: Bruce
Free Kick Taker(s): Fowler
Corner Taker(s): Di Matteo/Finnan
Penalty Taker(s): Fowler

The main thing when playing Cal? is for Cole to neutralise Ronaldo, or if he plays Ronnie down the left then Van Persie. Sheringham and PL era Beardsley do not rely overly on pace and as such Bruce and Pally should be able to contain them with ease. Park and Butt are more than capable of helping out the defence.

As for attack, both of the wingers aren't the sort to seek the byline and put a cross in most of the time, and as such they will tend to either put in the early cross or cut inside. Butt as ballwinner and Di Matteo as the passer in the team, although both can switch those roles. Fowler to use his exceptional off the ball movement to get into good positions for crosses and/or to use Wiltord's speed by laying on a good pass. Essentially a large amount of the attack in the final third of the pitch will be directed towards the centre of the park.

Erics_Collar

Match 3: TheLawOfDenis (The SAF Appreciation Society) vs Roodboy (Roodboy Rovers FC)

Tactics:

TheLawOfDenis: The Sir Alex Ferguson Appreciation Society
Captain: Gary Speed
Free Kick Taker(s): Speed
Corner Taker(s): McManaman
Penalty Taker(s): Speed

Ashley Young and Macmanaman are on instructions to feed the strikers times, Di Canio has pretty much a free role while Shearer upfront is going to be used as the main target man, getting little flick on's for the front runners and ofcourse to bang in the goals. Speed and Ince will be used to break down opposition and their constant running, Ince in particular will be allowed play in a more forward position, making late runs, taking on defenders and putting in passes etc. When there is need to defend the center mids drop down and Mcmanaman moves to a more central role, with Ashley Young on instructions to track back as much as possible aswell. This allows the team to effectively take control of any midfield battle and restrain the creative threats of other teams midfield. A key aspect will be the pace of which this team can counter attack. The front four is full goals and the ability for the likes of Di Canio/Shearer/Ince to come up with a of magic goes without saying. The defense will be asked to stay back, the center pairing of McGrath ( who could man mark anyone out of a game) and Southgate have all the ability needed to hold down any attack. it should also be noted the threat this team have in corners with the likes of Ince, Shearer, Lescott, Southgate etc.. A very solid side, with really no particular weakness.

Roodboy: Roodboy Rover FC
Captain: Terry (although this team has leaders all over the pitch)
Free Kick Taker(s): Waddle, Staunton
Corner Taker(s): Waddle, Staunton, Petrescu
Penalty Taker(s): Terry (joke! :lol:), Klinsmann will be first choice as Germans never miss.

I can see a potential defensive weakness in today's opponent and have decided to throw caution to the wind and line up with a 4-3-3 / 4-1-2-3.

Waddle (1993 PFA Player of the Year) who is equally comfortable on the left or right will be given a free role to join my deadly strike force of Klinsmann (1995 FWA Player of the Year) and Owen (2001 Ballon D'Or). Lescott in particular, who playing out of position at full back, will not be able to deal with the dazzling dribbling skills of Waddle.

As he did for most of his later career, Barnes (member of the English Football Hall of Fame) will tuck inside from the wing and dictate play from the middle of the field with his experience and amazing passing abilities. This gives a young Scholes (who Zidane once described as “the complete midfielder”) license to support the strikers from just outside the box where he does a lot of his best work.

Petit (1998 Double and World Cup winner) will act as holding midfielder and sit just in front of the defence to act as an extra layer of protection. My three in midfield will outnumber the opposition's traditional midfield pairing and easily neutralise their forward runs. Petit's constant hard work gives Barnes and Scholes the space and time to find the passes to bypass the opposition midfield and provide scoring opportunities for the forward line.

A young, pacey Owen will play just off the shoulder of the ageing McGrath (who's knees are liable to give way at any moment) and Klinsmann will be favorite to get the better of Southgate in any 1-on-1 situation. Klinsmann will also have direct instructions to insult Lehmann's mother in German - the unhinged Lehmann is bound to lash out, get sent off and leave his team struggling with only 10 men.

Shearer will be a handful but my world class central defensive partnership will have no problem in dealing with him. Terry’s (2005 PFA Player of the Year) bulldog spirit, power in the air and all round bravery (stupidity?) would blend well with Walker’s pace and precise tackling, as they used to sing; “You'll Never Beat Des Walker”. Of course, Terry will also be sent up for all set pieces as he has a knack of scoring in vital matches.

The international experience of both my full backs will mean that they can easily deal with the inexperienced Young. This formation also gives both my full backs space to come forward and use their proven crossing abilities to get balls into the box to feed the strikers who are both proven finishers in the box.

Roodboy Rovers have quality throughout the team. All bar one have played in World Cups and two are even World Cup winners. There are leaders all over the pitch and every one of these players has represented their clubs and country at the highest levels, frankly the opposition has no chance.

Erics_Collar

Match 4: Ace (Bio-Engineered Super Organisms) vs Solius (Solius FC)

Tactics

Ace: Bio-Engineered Super Organisms
Captain: Campbell
Free Kick Taker(s): Le Tissier
Corner Taker(s): Davids
Penalty Taker(s): van Nistelrooy

Staggered midfield pairing, with Davids slotting in behind and Le Tissier getting into advanced positions. Asprilla to play in a "Ronaldo-esque" free-roaming advanced right wing position. Ruud to play advanced with Yeboah slotting in behind him.

Solius: Solius FC
Captain: Irwin
Free Kick Taker(s): From the left side of the pitch (giggs wing): Arteta, Solano.
Central: Arteta
Right side: Giggs
Corner Taker(s): Left side: Solano, Arteta.
Right side: Giggs
(Both inswinging)
Penalty Taker(s): Irwin, Arteta or Ferdinand

I reckon my team is pretty well balanced, enough going forward and covered defensively. I also have probably the best left-sided partnership in Premier League history, they had a great understanding during their playing days together. Arteta will be free to roam, if Solano cuts inside as he likes to, Arteta will just swap to the wing to draw players away and vice versa. Flamini will be doing his running for him, cutting out attacks and releasing the likes of Giggs and the others on breaks. Berbatov will drop deep at times and look to feed runners beyond him, playing in Ferdinand who will poach goals. Can also count Giggs' newfound midfield ability which is like two players in one. Neville can also play midfield and Nobby can play RB, lots of versatility. For corners i'll be looking for the likes of Laursen, Ferdinand and Berbatov to be getting on the end of them.
Versus Ace: The above tactics with more; The main threat is I see is Ruud Van Nistelrooy. I will be looking to shut out his service by not allowing the likes of Le Tissier and Overmars to play. My midfield will be tight with Flamini snapping at the feet of Davids and Le Tissier, while Solano will track back to give him and Neville a 2 on 1 situation against Overmars when he goes forward. If Solano tracks back, Arteta will cover the right side of midfield if we counter, with Berbatov dropping deep. Up front I will be looking for Giggs and Irwin to push back Asprilla and Parker with overlapping runs, both supplying balls for Ferdinand and Berbatov. I see the left side of his defence as the weakest so will be looking to counter from that side as well. Just like to point out i won't be sitting back and waiting to counter, that is just an option when coming under some pressure, with Berbatov holding the ball up in a break if needs be (as he does so well). I will be looking to press hard and when we receive the ball to play it quickly and to feet.

Erics_Collar

Match 5: M13_Red (M13 Mavericks) vs Danish Voice (Best Team Evra FC)

Tactics

M13_Red: M13 Mavericks
Captain: Hyypia
Free Kick Taker(s): Lampard, Barry, Bentley.
Corner Taker(s): Bentley
Penalty Taker(s): Bergkamp

A 442 formation with the full backs attacking forward. My strong midfield pairing of Lampard and Mascherano playing some pretty damn sweet balls through to my blistering forward line, and Bentley and Barry playing in those pinpoint crosses. Attacks will literally come from left, right and centre, and even some lovely deflections courtesy of Frank Lampard, whilst all of my midfield has a wicked shot on them. Senderos and particularly Hyypia are great in the air on the set pieces, besides being solid at the back.

Basically, having the best player Evra does not constitute a winning team. Apologies Danish Voice.

Danish Voice: Best Team Evra FC
Captain: Gilberto
Freekick: Anderton
Penalties: Gilberto
Corners: Anderton

Alonso will work as the playmaker, feeding Cole with through balls where his pace will be a real handful for Senderos and Hyppia. Most the tactic will be focused on direct and quick play, staying away form balls in the air. Our weakness in the air also means, that we'll keep everyone besides Cole back for set pieces.
Hleb will have freedom to go inside with Evra running up and down the wing, as Bentley isn't the fastest or the most dangerous wing, which means we won't be too exposed. Gilberto will then cover if necessary.
The opponents are generally not very strong on the flanks (wings nor backs), and we'll do our best to limit their play up the middle by having Gilberto breathing down Lampard's neck and forcing Barry wide, thus leaving Mascherano to move the ball forward.
Hendry will be kicking Torres off the pitch.
Oh and we have Evra, game won.

Erics_Collar

Match 6: Erics_Collar (E.C. United) vs Smash-E (Smash FC)

Tactics

Erics_Collar: E.C. United
Captain: Roy Keane
Free Kick Taker(s): Okocha (L), Robben (R) (Inswinging) - Okocha in shooting positions.
Corner Taker(s): Okocha (L), Robben (R) (Inswinging)
Penalty Taker(s): Yorke

Defence:
I have a very solid back 4, with a more than capable goalkeeper in Tim Howard. One thing I will have to be wary of is giving Hughes and Hasselbaink space to shoot. I feel that if my defenders stick to them closely, always close them down, that this will nullify that threat. I wont have to worry too much about sticking TOO close to them, because Hughes and Hasselbaink are not the fastest of players, definitely not faster than my central pairing of Vidic and Radebe. Carbone against Wayne Bridge would be a delightful battle to watch. Bridge can certainly keep up with him pace wise, but he will have to be careful of Carbone cutting infield, likewise with Mellberg and Ljunberg. The thing about Ljunberg is that he is not a natural winger, and will be playing infield more often than not which suits Mellberg perfectly.
Midfield:
Fantastic battle here. If anyone is capable of nullifying Steven Gerrard, its Roy Keane. Keane will tackle hard and I firmly believe that Smash-E's best player in Gerrard will be taken out of the game by my best player, Keane. McCallister is a great passer of the ball, but has pretty much zero pace so I expect Parlour to be able to hassle him for the full 90. Parlour will also be the link between attack and midfield, slicing through balls for Tevez and Yorke. On the wings, Arjen Robben is one of the best wingers the league has seen up against William Gallas in his weakest position at RB (he's a better CB, or LB). Robben will stick the wing diligently, and will easily get the better of Gallas. More often than not, I want him hug the byline and cut in toward the goal from wide positions. Carbone doesnt have the mindset to protect Gallas by helping out either. Should Carragher come out to RB, well, we all know what quick and technical players do to him (see Henry). Okocha's skill will dazzle Lee Sharpe who is being played horrendously out of position, and only has Ljunberg ahead of him who is hardly known for tracking back. Parlour can also interchange with Okocha to further confuse players who arent used to defending.
Forwards:
Tevez and Yorke are too very clever footballers who will have the intricate passing to play their way around the slow pairing of Carragher and Leboeuf. Its effectively Yorke and Tevez up front, with Tevez occasionally dropping back to collect the ball from the midfield where he can either pass around the defence with Yorke, or send it down the wings to Robben and Okocha/Parlour. We all know how little time Tevez allows defenders to dwell on the ball, so expect lots of hurried and misplaced passes from the defence. From set pieces, Okocha is a fantastic free kick taker, so he will shoot given the opportunity. Allternatively, he or Robben can swing in wide free kicks (and corners) to the likes of Vidic, Radebe and Mellberg, all big imposing players with an eye for goal - especially Vidic.

I firmly believe that EC United have what it takes to win this game with a solid back four, a big threat from set pieces, a fluid link between attack and midfield, and a team full of leaders. And with Roy Keane in the centre of the pitch orchestrating things, of course.

Smash-E: Smash FC
Captain: Gerrard
Free Kick Taker(s): Gerrard/McAllister. Generally McAllister for crossing, and Gerrard for Shooting, although it can alternate
Corner Taker(s): McAllister
Penalty Taker(s): Gerrard

To counter the threat Robben, I put Carragher as RB, Ljungberg ahead of him to give him a helping hand, and Gallas behind him just incase.

Robben and Okocha will be pressed, they don’t have any time on the ball and won’t be able to do their magic. If in doubt, Robben will be given the Reyes treatment, so he won’t be able to last the whole match. Zonal Pressing will be applied in the midfield,
In my opinion, even though Okocha and Keane looks like a great midfield, their partnership won’t work, especially defensively, as Okocha will fail to come back to defend and even if he does, it won’t be much help at all. Having two pure individualists like Okocha and Robben on the team will infuriate Keane, which will cause him to kick Gerrard or Head butt Ljungberg, and Gerrard will tell the ref to give him a red card, which he will.

Attacking wise, the ball would be kept low, especially in the box, as aerially, Radebe and Vidic are dominant. Their weakness however, is their speed, which Hasselbaink will be looking to take advantage of. Howards weakness is long shots, and with the likes of Gerrard, McAllister, Hughes, Carbone in the team, the team will be instructed to take plenty of long shots, with Hasselbaink following them in, as Howard has a tendency to drop them, in which Hasselbaink can take advantage of. Don’t forget, Hasselbaink has quite a shot on him too. Ljungberg is only known to be an opportunist, and can pick up scraps.

When Under pressure, Hughes and Carbone can drop back a bit, leaving Hasselbaink up by himself, having long balls to feed on, as he has the ability to outpace both defenders.

In the Instance that Parlour is in CMF with Keane and Okocha is AMF and Robben LMF, Gerrard and McAllister will play more deeply, and Carbone will play behind the strikers in more of a free role. Sharpe will be given license to attack more.

Don’t forget I have Gerrard in the team, so I should be guaranteed at least a penalty, or a freekick near the area. I Believe my team is more balanced, and it does have potential match winners like Gerrard, Hughes and Carbone in the team. I believe Tevez will drop too deep and contest the ball with Okocha, and Yorke on his own up front won’t be very effective.

Erics_Collar

Match 7: Vinay (20LEGEND United FC) vs R.Nilsson7 (R. Nilsson Athletic)

Tactics

Vinay: 20LEGEND United FC
Captain: A true leader by example of determination and never-say-die attitude: David Batty
Free Kick Takers: (A real plethora of some really good ones) Drogba, Downing, Juninho, Albert, Geremi
Corner Takers: Downing, Juninho
Penalty Takers: Juninho, Geremi, Drogba, Agbonlahor, Solskjaer

Defensive organization
When the situation calls for defensive duties, all players will switch to defensive duties to collectively participate in the recuperation of the ball in a zonal strategy. The main offensive threats to be countered are:
  • Threat 1: Speed and penetration, ball at feet, of Saha and Henry at the front - The true way of defending against such quality strikers is to deprive them of the ball. Stam, Albert and Batty would have the prime focus, when the opposition gains possession of having a keen eye on these two players especially to principally intercept passes to them before they reach them or to stick to them in their backs when they have the ball.
  • Threat 2: Passing ability of Redknapp/Woodgate and others to pick up deep runs of especially Saha, Henry and Duff but also Malbranque A four-fold defensive tactic to counteract this threat. Firstly, onus on the likes of Drogba/Solskjaer/Juninho to prevent space and time for the opposing central defence and Makelele to pick up such passes by the opposing defenders. Secondlyly Stam and Albert to orchestrate with Winterburn and Geremi a tight and disciplined line to play the offside trap in anticipation of the pass through.
    Thirdly and finally, onus on the wide players (Downing and Agbonlahor) to track back and be ready to, alongside Batty, use their pace to track runs of the wide opposing wide players (Duff and Malbranque) to cover against the latters or either of Saha/Henry to run behind an outfoxed offside trap.
  • Threat 3: Wide men Duff and Malbranque beating their men wide - This presents Threat 4 which is discussed next and the threat of having cut backs to midfielders making late runs. Onus here will be to have the wide men to defend together (Agbonlahor/Geremi and Downing/Winterburn or Downing/Geremi and Agbonlahor/Winterburn) to together work towards defensive duties against the opposing wing men and the FBs providing width in attack. With this kind of pressure, the threat of accurate crosses or cut-backs coming in is greatly reduced.
  • Threat 4: Although Henry is not the best aerially, Saha is a threat and can be a great target man for crosses - With the likes of Stam and Albert, there is a wonderful combination of intelligence of positioning and aerial ability to deal with crosses aimed at possible target men Henry and Saha during offensive phases. Thirdly and finally, onus on the wide players (Downing and Agbonlahor) to track back and be ready to, alongside Batty, use their pace to track runs of the wide opposing wide players (Duff and Malbranque) to cover against the latters or either of Saha/Henry to run behind an outfoxed offside trap.
  • Threat 3: Wide men Duff and Malbranque beating their men wide - This presents Threat 4 which is discussed next and the threat of having cut backs to midfielders making late runs. Onus here will be to have the wide men to defend together (Agbonlahor/Geremi and Downing/Winterburn or Downing/Geremi and Agbonlahor/Winterburn) to together work towards defensive duties against the opposing wing men and the FBs providing width in attack. With this kind of pressure, the threat of accurate crosses or cut-backs coming in is greatly reduced.
  • Threat 4: Although Henry is not the best aerially, Saha is a threat and can be a great target man for crosses - With the likes of Stam and Albert, there is a wonderful combination of intelligence of positioning and aerial ability to deal with crosses aimed at possible target men Henry and Saha during offensive phases.
  • Threat 5: Set pieces around the box where the big CBs could come up - With Geremi, Drogba and Agbonlahor available to provide their athleticism and spring to complement the likes Stam and Albert, just concentrating on getting the basics right should help counteract any possible threat from Redknapp or Malbranque's floated free kicks or corners. Additionally, Brad Friedel is one of the most dominant keepers in the air in the PL and trust him to come to collect the ball confidently more often than not.
  • Threat 6: Long range shots from the likes of Saha/Henry/Redknapp/Malbranque or even Toure - With the defensive discipline, someone like Toure would never left enough time to get a shot on goal with either of Drogba or Solskjaer tracking with him on any attempted foray. And again, with defensive discipline, harrying from the likes of Batty, Juninho and the wide men should help stave off shooting opportunities.
Offensive organization
With the pace (Juninho, Agbonlahor and Downing), power (Agbonlahor and Drogba) and guile (Juninho, Solskjaer, Downing, Agbonlahor and Drogba) available in attack, one of the main foci would be to go to counter-attacking mode any time the possession is regained. This is going the number one offensive threat.
  • Drogba, arguably the most powerful striker to have played in a back-to-goal striker role the PL, to attempt to place himself such as to invite the ball with his back to goal to then use his power to hold off the marker, his guile to turn and his technical ability to pick out the run of Agbonlahor/Downing/Juninho, moving at pace; immediately then get towards the penalty area edge to provide himself as a long range shooting tee-up target or target man in the middle at the opposing post of Solskjaer for a cross to use his power and finishing ability.
  • Downing, Agbonlahor and Juninho to concurrently stretch across the field width to provide pace running solutions to puncture the defence
  • Solskjaer to often position himself offside, if the defence holds a tight and high line, to provide the opportunity for puncturing runs of Agbonlahor/Downing/Juninho to be made behind the defence from deeper onside positions
    , while the defence holds on for the offside trap.
  • With the knowledge that Batty is covering at the back, Phillipe Albert to use his cavalier spirit to provide yet another option every once in a while, depending on the oppotunity, down the middle along side Juninho.
  • Downing, Juninho and Agbonlahor (who have the flexibility to interchange their positions complementarily) to every so often cut inside from a wide position of possession to pull wide defender in to allow two things: firstly the chance to use the overlapping runs of Geremi and Winterburn down that side; secondly to draw in the foul in the dangerous position around the penalty box. With the kind of direct free kick takers available, this is a sure threat.
In spells of possession:
  • Drogba, again, to often be used as a target man to evetually spread the ball to main puncturing threats that are Juninho/Agbonlahor/Downing.
  • Passes kept short and simple, one-touch, with loads of movement off the ball to upset the defensive organization of the opposition.
  • Albert to use his occasional foraging runs down the middle to again upset the defensive rhythm of the opposition. In these cases, David Batty to be prepared to keep a defensive positioning to cover.
  • Intelligent positioning of Drogba and Solskjaer in the box to be targets of crosses. Both are excellent finishers with head and either foot!
    And extremely deadly with the slightest opportunity in front of goal

• With the attack coming from a given side, the wide player on the other side to provide yet another solution on the far post or in the middle along with Drogba and Solskjaer, eg, when Downing is foraging down the left, Agbonlahor to immediately seek a good positioning in the box complementarily to Drogba and Solskjaer.
  • David Batty, when the defence is keeping its shape, to make late foraging runs for eventual shooting opportunities or loose balls from shots. Juninho to provide the threat from the edge of the box from half-clearances from the opposing defence.
  • Long range shooting from Drogba, Agbonlahor, Juninho, Solskjaer on the first opportunity, to help draw out the defence and provide the space behind for the pacemen.

Set pieces (corners and free kicks in the attacking half not directly shootable). This is a an area of the game where Nilsson's team will truly suffer against mine.
  • Cover to the provided at the back by Batty and Winterburn, and in front of them Juninho or Downing, when they are not taking the kick
  • Up go Albert, Stam and Geremi to add to the aerial threat presented by Drogba and Solskjaer, and also of Agbonlahor. All present superb threats and against Nilsson's team, quite lacking in this department, expect OLEGEND United to have the upper hand quite clearly.
  • Delivery from Downing, if from the right of attack and from Juninho, if from the left and delivery to be done, strong and towards goal with one of the big target men to deviate.

R.Nilsson7's tactics in next post...

Erics_Collar

From previous post...

R.Nilsson7: R. Nilsson Athletic
Captain: Gary Neville. Vice-Captain: Thierry Henry
Free Kick Taker(s): Jamie Redknapp, Thierry Henry, Steed Malbranque, Kolo Touré (variant)
Corner Taker(s): Jamie Redknapp, Steed Malbranque
Penalty Taker(s): Louis Saha, Jamie Redknapp, Thierry Henry

My team will play fast & stylish counter attacking football. Malbranque will be cutting in from the right wing, and with that leave space for Neville to run. Makelele will sweep up everything infront of the back four and cover for Neville if he gets exposed. Redknapp will supply the wingers and forwards with passes. Duff will be a constant threat on the left side. Fortune will no nonsene defend and not go forward at all. Saha will act as the target man and Henry will be cutting in from the left in familiar style.

With Redknapp i've got a very good setpiece taker and Neville is a very good captain. My team's biggest weakness is probably that it's full of sicknotes so i hope they wont be kicking at my players! Otherwise the defence is solid, my holding midfielder is the best, the wingers are very dangerous and the strikers are top class. Cudicini is also a brilliant keeper. I think they wanna test Fortune's defensive skills but if thats the case, Duff or Makelele will help him out.

Makelele and Henry are my key players and i think there's no way the opponent team can stop them.

As i said before, Redknapp is very good at setpieces. Saha, Toure and Woodgate will all be dangerous on corners and freekicks. This also means that i have many good players who can defend setpieces. Vinays team has got many average players like Downing, Geremi and Batty. Makelele will take care of Juninho and make sure he doensnt get the time on the ball he wants. Agbonlahor is not really a winger so im gonna take advantage of that. That will expose Geremi a lot so Duff will probably make his life a living hell. Toure is just as stong and fast as Drogba so he won't be a problem. Downing is shit so he wont cause any trouble. Stam and Albert will have a hard time defending against Saha and Henry.

Erics_Collar

Match 8: esmufc09 (The Diablos) vs SirAF (Redburn Rovers)

Tactics

esmufc09: The Diablos
Captain: Cantona Vice Captain: Adams
Free Kick Taker(s): Cantona, Wright Phillips, Carrick
Penalty Taker(s): Cantona, Adebayor, Carrick, Wright Phillips, Adams

This will be a tough game but I think my strength up top and my strong central defence can win it for us. Neill on the right could neutralise the threat of Beckham, and Adams and Dunne are both very good in the air and will be able to handle the small Ian Wright. Viduka’s heading isn’t also one of his strong points so from an aerial point of view, I don’t think my team neceassily has much to worry about. Cahill is the most obvious threat from set-pieces, so he will have to be man-marked whenever there is a corner or a set-piece in the final third. This job will be left to Adams. Baines and O’ Shea aren’t the greatest players in getting forward either. The pace of Wright Phillips will cause both Beckham and Baines plenty of trouble and Adebayor’s physical presence will be a nuisance to both Rio and Yobo. Ade is a tall, strong and physical player who will ruffle the defenders and if Wright Phillips and Gudjohnsen can whip in a few accurate crosses then this could be our best chance of scoring. For that reason I will play Gudjohnsen on the left (a position he played for at times at Chelsea and did very well) and move Lee into the middle, with Carrick protecting the back four and Wright Phillips on the right.. Cantona would be given a free role and could do whatever he pleases, as that is what he does best.....
Gael Clichy is a match for Joe Cole and his pace and pin-point crossing would also cause trouble to John O Shea. Barthez is also quite an eccentric goalkeeper, and is prone to making a mistake or two in a match, but can equally be as brilliant. Overall I am confident my team can do very well against SirAf’s side and am confident that a victory can be secured

SirAF: Redburn Rovers
Captain: Rio Ferdinand
Free Kick Taker(s): David Beckham
Corner Taker(s): David Beckham
Penalty Taker(s): Ian Wright

My team will base it's attacking play down the wings and try to take advantage to any dead ball situations. In Ferdinand I have a calm playing center half who can distribute the ball to the midfield.

The goal is to get the ball out to Beckham and Cole as much as possible. Beckham will swing in his trademark crosses all day long, trying to hit one of my many players who can head the ball, like Viduka, Wright, Cahill and O'Shea, Rio and Yobo aswell on corners and freekicks. And Joe Cole will run at Neill, trying to force dangerous situations through individual brilliance.

Tim Cahill will also try to look for Ian Wright, in order to put him through the defence with his pace. Adams and Dunne are not the fastest defenders around, so the Arsenal legend might be able to exploit it.

Defence:
Wise will be a key player in picking up the dangerous runs from Gudjohnsen, tackling him hard early on in order to try to take him out of the game will be key.
My oposition's most dangerous player is by far Eric Cantona, I will put my faith in Rio Ferdinand to try to keep him from weaving his magic. Cantona's strike partner, Adebayor, offers another threat. He's got pace to burn and he is a physical threat up front, my answer to that is: Joseph Yobo. The nigerian defender got pace and strenght, and his main job will be to try to show Adebayor on his weaker foot and make sure he can't get a free run on the goal. I anticipate that Yobo will nullify Ade, considering that he is a relatively poor finisher compared to the likes of Wright.

Erics_Collar

You may now vote! Use the template from the first post in this thread. Thanks!

Please dont post anything apart from votes. Any discussion or problems should be posted in the discussion thread (see original post above).

The White Pele

Vote Match 1: Bouncing Boyard Babes
Vote Match 2: Cheezel United
Vote Match 3: Roodboy Rover FC
Vote Match 4: Solius FC
Vote Match 5: M13 Mavericks
Vote Match 6: E.C. United
Vote Match 7: R.Nilsson Athletic
Vote Match 8: Redburn Rovers

twitter thread suggester
Vote Match 2: Cal's XI
Vote Match 5: Best Team Evra
Vote Match 8: The Diablos

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Vote Match 1: MelvinYeo (MUFC)
Vote Match 3: The SAF Appreciation Society
Vote Match 6: Smash FC
Vote Match 8: Redburn Rovers

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Vote Match 1: Fort Boyard (Bouncing Boyard Babes)
Vote Match 2: Cal? (Cal's XI)
Vote Match 3: Roodboy (Roodboy Rovers FC)
Vote Match 4: Solius (Solius FC)
Vote Match 5: M13_Red (M13 Mavericks)
Vote Match 6: Smash-E (Smash FC)
Vote Match 7: R.Nilsson7 (R. Nilsson Athletic)
Vote Match 8: esmufc09 (The Diablos)

kps88

Vote Match 7: R. Nilsson Athletic

HsJ

Match 1: Bouncing Boyards Babes
Match 2: Cal?
Match 3: Roodboy
Match 4: Solius
Match 5: m13_red
Match 6: Erics_Collar
Match 7: 20LEgend
Match 8: Diablos

chuck149f

Vote Match 1: Winner Bouncing Boyard Babes
Vote Match 2: Winner Cal's XI
Vote Match 3: Winner The SAF Appreciation Squad
Vote Match 4: Winner Bio-engineered Super Organisms
Vote Match 5: Winner M13 Mavericks
Vote Match 6: Winner E.C. United
Vote Match 7: Winner 20 Legend United FC
Vote Match 8: Winner The Diablos

B Cantona

Desperate
Match 1: Fort Boyard (Bouncing Boyard Babes) - Hard to back against any team with Wayne Rooney in it, but there's just so much championship winning experience in Forts team, the stronger midfield, and 3 electric forward players

Match 2: Cal? (Cals XI) - Cheezel has the best defence of anyone I'd say, but gets burried in midfield, and even dolly and daisy are going to struggle against the guile of Sheringham and Beardsley, and the speed and quality of Van Persie and Ronaldo

Match 3: The Law Of Denis (TSAFAS) - Klinsman wide of a front 3? Not sure about that. Much better balance on Law's side, Shearer would score shedloads in that side. Particularly like the pace down the flanks, too much for Roods defence to cope with

Match 4: Solius (Solius FC) - Le Tissier in a good team? If England is anything to go by, he'd vanish. In a midfield with Asprilla and Overmars? No thanks. On their day that team would be cracking, just too many flaky players, and the capacity for disaster at the back with James AND Sylvestre is just too much to contemplate

Match 5: M13 Red (M13 Mavericks) - Good grief, 8-8 anyone?! Attacks so much better than defences here. But M13 has the much stronger midfield, and what a partnership Bergkamp and Torres threatens to be. Hendry and Carvalho on their arses all day long

Match 6: Erics_Collar (EC United) - Smash should have Gallas and Carragher the other way round. Few players who can be either inspiring or insipid in Erics team, but with Keano in there, you can bet most often its going to be inspired. Strong midfield with too much cunning and cleverness between the forwards

Match 7: R.Nillson7 (Nilsson Athletic) - Makalele would prevent Juninho getting much of a look in, who's Batty gunna play his 2 yard backwards passes to then? Where's the service to the front 2? Downing?!?! Fancy the full backs would have a torrid time too with Duff and Henry drifting

Match 8: SirAF (Redburn) - Not liking Gudjohnsen wide left. Tight contest this. Interesting front partnership for Esmufc, hard to back against a team with Cantona in it. Ultimately, I think the delivery of Beckham with Viduka being a pest and Cahill arriving late into the box might just make the difference, Wright poaching anything knocked down

lewstherin

Match 1: Fort Boyard
Match 2: SharkyMcShark
Match 3: Roodboy
Match 4: Solius
Match 5: M13 Red
Match 6: Erics_Collar
Match 7: R.Nillson7
Match 8: SirAF

Boothy

Match 1: Fort Boyard
Match 2: SharkyMcShark