Redcafe Sheep Draft 1st Semi Final - Edgar Allan Pillow vs Gio

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Lahm definitely!

Very difficult to turn down Redondo, but to fit him, I have to change to 4-3-3 with him, Sammer and Alonso. RC, Baggio and Romario to be retained.

Nedved in the left of diamond is worth thinking about too!
Why? Back to the 532 with Sammer Libero and Redondo in DM? Pretty sure Real played a 532 in 99/00 with Redondo in that role?

edit:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Alonso is pretty much useless in that set-up. There's really nothing he can do, that Redondo and Sammer can't. Why would you bring him back in the team? Ballack on the right in that 532, if you want to pick Lahm.

Baggio Romario
Costa
Redondo Ballack
Maldini Desailly Sammer Sanchis Lahm
Weidenfeller
Actually, I would think about keeping Amoros and picking Kohler, in case Redondo becomes available (no idea how the score is in the other game). Maldini Desailly Sammer Kohler Amoros would be awesome as a back 5.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Alonso is pretty much useless in that set-up. There's really nothing he can do, that Redondo and Sammer can't. Why would you bring him back in the team? Ballack on the right in that 532, if you want to pick Lahm.

Baggio Romario
Costa
Redondo Ballack
Maldini Desailly Sammer Sanchis Lahm
Weidenfeller
Actually, I would think about keeping Amoros and picking Kohler, in case Redondo becomes available (no idea how the score is in the other game). Maldini Desailly Sammer Kohler Amoros would be awesome as a back 5.
Yeah I rate Amoros on par with (if not higher than) Lahm so would keep him and get Kohler in.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Or Brehme

I agree with Aldo on Maldini, prefer this as a back five

Brehme - Maldini - Sammer - Desailly - Amoros

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Great video, thanks man. Tough one to really get across on a formation picture.
No problem man. I really want to find some full matches from Germany's Euro '96. I remember being mind-blown by Sammer's quality in that tournament and I'd love to rewatch it. At his best it seemed like he had this knack of providing an extra (high quality) player in defence, midfield and the attacking third, all in one game! Great post @Balu btw.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
No problem man. I really want to find some full matches from Germany's Euro '96. I remember being mind-blown by Sammer's quality in that tournament and I'd love to rewatch it. At his best it seemed like he had this knack of providing an extra man in defence, midfield and the attacking third, all in one game! Great post @Balu btw.
The Croatia match would be a good one to catch again, given how good they were in the group stages and how influential Sammer was in deciding the outcome of that one.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
No problem man. I really want to find some full matches from Germany's Euro '96. I remember being mind-blown by Sammer's quality in that tournament and I'd love to rewatch it. At his best it seemed like he had this knack of providing an extra (high quality) player in defence, midfield and the attacking third, all in one game! Great post @Balu btw.
I realised how amazing he was in his first full season at Dortmund, when he almost dragged Dortmund to a comeback in the UEFA cup return leg against Inter. Dortmund lost the first game at home 1-3. They went 2-0 up in the return leg, which wasn't enough because of the away goal rule, and Sammer wouldn't stop pushing the team forward. If I remember correctly, he hit the post late in the game, which would have been the 3-0, shortly after Inter scored on a counter and went through because they only lost 1-2.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Alonso? :confused:

Shame EAP, told you you would run out of votes/time.
I can visualize @Brwned deleting my posts till I picked up Redondo :lol:

Tbf, I like this set up and RB was the only major concern as of now. I would have continued with the diamond, but there is no proper upgrades for the midfield apart from Nedved. As Tito plays 4-3-3 I just cant see both Sammer and Redondo with a diamond.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Given the fine margins, what probably lost it for EAP was the mini-episode discussing who had the better defence. What a spastic way of looking inferior unnecessarily:

Brehme-Maldini-Kohler-Bergomi :lol:

I see Gio now owns up to Amoros not being half bad ;)

In any case, should have one a re-run post-switch. That would have read:

Maldini-Desailly-Sammer-Bergomi-Amoros

Or not, loads of scope for discussing Maldini or Brehme given it is a five. Then if it is Maldini sure it is Desailly and if it is Brehme sure it is Kohler.

At least one thing would be clear: only one team had Sol Campbell

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I can visualize @Brwned deleting my posts till I picked up Redondo :lol:

Tbf, I like this set up and RB was the only major concern as of now. I would have continued with the diamond, but there is no proper upgrades for the midfield apart from Nedved. As Tito plays 4-3-3 I just cant see both Sammer and Redondo with a diamond.
Davids is an upgrade, I think he would be great where Cambiasso/Ballack are

Thisistheone

I rarely seem to vote against Gio either. I like how he constructs his teams and he sells them well. I think EAP/Brwned have shaded it here though.

As regards Sammer, this video somewhat expresses how I remember him playing the libero role - breaking forward with driving runs and one-twos to take shots, dropping right back into defence as needed to anticipate threats (1:27 ish), and providing a strong physical presence in the midfield battle (2:15ish).

All I see there is a young Giggsy taking it to the Germans and Sammer getting skinned and chopping him down!

Electric stuff from the boy. :wenger:

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
All I see there is a young Giggsy taking it to the Germans and Sammer getting skinned and chopping him down!

Electric stuff from the boy.
:lol:

That probably explains why we remember the group stage games between Bayern and United in '98 differently.

Thisistheone

That probably explains why we remember the group stage games between Bayern and United in '98 differently.
:D

I was only half serious. It just made me chuckle seeing Giggs storming past him in a video that was meant to big up Sammer.

Brilliant player, obviously.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Ah Amoros was always a fine full-back to me, you won't find a single post criticising him with my name on it. Don't worry, I stand by what I said on Ronald.
Davids is an upgrade, I think he would be great where Cambiasso/Ballack are
Yeah Davids would be ideal for the LCM in a diamond.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Given the fine margins, what probably lost it for EAP was the mini-episode discussing who had the better defence. What a spastic way of looking inferior unnecessarily:

Brehme-Maldini-Kohler-Bergomi :lol:

In any case, should have one a re-run post-switch. That would have read:

Maldini-Desailly-Sammer-Bergomi-Amoros

Or not, loads of scope for discussing Maldini or Brehme given it is a five. Then if it is Maldini sure it is Desailly and if it is Brehme sure it is Kohler.

At least one thing would be clear: only one team had Sol Campbell
At a party in a pub, not quite sure on that myself when I read it again this morning!

And not a coincidence that Campbell carried his team to finals :D

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
The Croatia match would be a good one to catch again, given how good they were in the group stages and how influential Sammer was in deciding the outcome of that one.
I've found a couple of dead Rapidshare links and feck all else so far unfortunately. I'll post it here if I track it down!

Electric stuff from the boy. :wenger:

The Giggsy sighting was a bonus in that video for sure.

Wrong tournament unfortunately but thanks for trying mate.